homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inquire Within: general questions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inquire Within: general questions
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Google isn't your friend, someone here may be able to help.

Ariel
Heaven Host

[ 21. September 2014, 08:10: Message edited by: Firenze ]

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So far I have been naming my computers from the Camino - my gaming pc is Santiago, the mini PC I bought when in digs while working away from home is Refugio and my netbook is Peregrino.

As its fan is a bit noisy and I want a PC in my workshop, I'm moving the mini PC upstairs and replacing it in its current role of music streaming will be a raspberry pi. Which needs a hostname, but I can't think of a Camino related name which also has musical connotations.

Can anyone here suggest a musical Camino/pilgrimage single word name?

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are there any walking songs that pilgrims sing on the way?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Lourdes hymn has words in many languages, but always the same tune, Huia. The English begins Immaculate Mary, your praises we sing, The French begins Avec les saints anges en choeurs glorieux and is popular with multi-national groups of pilgrims.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It also has a Walsingham version, which begins:

Sing praises to Mary, the Mother of God,
Whose Walsingham way countless pilgrims have trod ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have two technology questions which I thought I'd ask here rather than the geek-translation thread, as they're things I ponder about rather than a current problem.

1) Why does it take a computer so long to get from me pressing the on switch, to being usable for running a program? What's it doing that it needs to do each time? I think I kind of get why it takes so long for it to shut down, it's like cleaning the kitchen after cooking -- all the equipment that was out in a convenient temporary place during the activity needs to be put away into its permanent home, and all the vegetable peelings need to be tossed out. Is this roughly right?

2) I live near the boundary between two timezones. Whenever I drive West, my phone updates time automatically, but driving East I have to turn it on and off. I don't know if the West switching is quite instant, but it's faster than it takes me to get to an offramp from the interstate to check. Going the other direction, I can leave it for hours and get no switch.

[ 05. January 2013, 11:26: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As far as (1) goes, Hart, my understanding is that's for largely historical reasons. When your computer starts up the first thing it does (more or less) is the Power On Self Test (POST). This means it checks around for all the things it expects to find. It checks whether you have a processor, RAM, graphics, etc. and informs you if you don't. It also has to read settings from your BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and make sure that everything is working at the speed and with the settings you've given it. It then has to decide what it's going to load up. Depending on how your PC is set up, it may check floppy disk drives, USB ports, and/or CD drives before booting from (one of) the hard disks. During all this there are number of points at which you can interrupt, either to change settings or to boot into Safe Mode or similar, so the computer may pause briefly to allow this. Then the computer has to load the operating system. A lot of this has to be copied from the hard disk into memory before beginning (so we're looking at several seconds just to do that), and then the complex web of programs making up the operating system has to be started in the correct order and checked before the next part is loaded. If you have a lot of things, like anti-virus, fancy desktop backgrounds etc. that load with startup, then it will take longer to find the settings, and the files to which they refer, and get them loaded up. You will find a fresh installation will load a lot faster than one you've worked with for a couple of years.

There are computers that can load very fast, but they generally aren't compatible with Windows PCs. Slow load times are part of the price you pay for PCs being backwards compatible and for being able to handle a huge range of hardware and software. Basically imagine that you about to start cooking, you don't know what you're going to cook but you know you need to do it fast; so you get all of the equipment out and ready, even the walnut mascerator and the parsnip baster, in the hope that you will be ready for anything.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, you lost me after the words "cleaning the kitchen"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know what has happened to Susan Howatch? I am a big fan of her Starbridge books, but she does not seem to have written any novels since 2004 (after producing one every couple of years for the previous I-don't-know-how-many-years). Anyone know if anything is in the pipeline?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Does anyone know what has happened to Susan Howatch? I am a big fan of her Starbridge books, but she does not seem to have written any novels since 2004 (after producing one every couple of years for the previous I-don't-know-how-many-years).

I believe she has effectively retired from writing - given that she is 72, this doesn't seem unreasonable. She is now enjoying spending more time with friends and family.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
2) I live near the boundary between two timezones. Whenever I drive West, my phone updates time automatically, but driving East I have to turn it on and off. I don't know if the West switching is quite instant, but it's faster than it takes me to get to an offramp from the interstate to check. Going the other direction, I can leave it for hours and get no switch.

Is this also the boundary between two networks? One may broadcast the time as part of the information is is constantly sending to your mobile, whist the other may not. Just a guess.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Are there any walking songs that pilgrims sing on the way?

Huia

After further googling, I settled on calixtinus

Thanks,

TME

--------------------

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Perhaps because nobody is sure which parts of Indiana are in which timezone at any given moment?

(Explanation for overseas readers: it used to be that each county in Indiana could choose whether to go on Daylight Savings Time or not, which caused a bit of confusion on occasion. I don't know if that is still the case, but it might fit with lilBuddha's suggestion that it has something to do with the network providing service: the networks in Indiana might not force their local time on users if they might not all be using the same local time.)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

Perhaps because nobody is sure which parts of Indiana are in which timezone at any given moment?

(Explanation for overseas readers: it used to be that each county in Indiana could choose whether to go on Daylight Savings Time or not, which caused a bit of confusion on occasion. I don't know if that is still the case, but it might fit with lilBuddha's suggestion that it has something to do with the network providing service: the networks in Indiana might not force their local time on users if they might not all be using the same local time.)

And to add to the confusion, the corner of Indiana near Chicago is on Central Time, like Illinois, rather than Eastern Time like the rest of the state.

(Arizona has a similar situation -- most of the state has the good sense to avoid Daylight Savings Time, but Navajoland observes it.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought Arizona had to go to Daylight Savings Time due to some Federal benefit or another. So, at least the last I heard, they do observe Daylight Savings Time, but the state also changes timezones. So during the winter they are on Pacific Standard Time and in the summer they are officially on Mountain Daylight Time, which results in no change to the clocks.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I thought Arizona had to go to Daylight Savings Time due to some Federal benefit or another. So, at least the last I heard, they do observe Daylight Savings Time, but the state also changes timezones. So during the winter they are on Pacific Standard Time and in the summer they are officially on Mountain Daylight Time, which results in no change to the clocks.

Nope. We're on Mountain Standard Time all year.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for those explanations. The turn on time makes some kind of vague sense to me now. The explanation for the time zone on the phone changing is the best I've heard, so I'll stick with it.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Nope. We're on Mountain Standard Time all year.
When I first visited Arizona we had to change clocks when we visited the Navajo settlement as the whole of the Navajo Nation, whichever state it is in, employs daylight saving, though the rest of Arizona does not.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
When I first visited Arizona we had to change clocks when we visited the Navajo settlement as the whole of the Navajo Nation, whichever state it is in, employs daylight saving, though the rest of Arizona does not.

Yup.
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Arizona has a similar situation -- most of the state has the good sense to avoid Daylight Savings Time, but Navajoland observes it.

--------------------
~Tortuf

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am haunted by a song about dinosaurs.

In the mid-1980s there was a dinosaur exhibit at the Ulster Museum in Belfast. Part of it was a video loop that was about an hour long, aimed at children but with lots of good dinosaur information. It had a BBC-ish kind of feel.

Every so often the (British) presenters would sing a song, most of the words of which I have forgotten, but it would be something like...

Now here they are, once again, those dinosaur names!
Won't you say them all once and then say them again!
Something something something something something- osaurus!
Something something something something Styracosaurus!
Something something something something Hypsilophodon
And something something something something that's about enough of 'em...

I would watch this over and over again until the museum would kick me out at closing time.

After a few months it was replaced, to my disgust, by a much shorter American video (c 15 minutes) which was more cartoony and much lighter on information.

If any Shipmates can help me with the identity of this video I will be a) stunned and b) strangely grateful...

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christian relaxation.

Years ago a friend in prison found some Christian relaxation cassette tapes helpful. They were a voice giving simple guidance on how to relax, and including simple relaxing Christian thoughts.

Nothing too heavy, aiming at peace and relaxation.

Now another friend has been asking for something like this - though of course on CD.

So I turn to here to ask for any suggestions please, from what you may have used and found helpful.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could have a look on YouTube - there is a wide choice of Christian meditation and relaxation videos. Lots of them have websites where you can purchase copies on a cd or dvd.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The current wintry weather has prompted me to ask the following:

I have a very ancient electric fire inherited from my parents who bought it in 1970. It works beautifully and is much more efficient than my so-called central heating. I use it to supplement the CH every winter when needed. I have been advised by two people, one of whom is an electrician, that I shouldn’t use it as it could be dangerous. (They haven’t actually seen it let alone examined it – they’re just saying that because it’s so old)

What do people think?

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think they are probably right. Older devices may have inferior earthing to present ones. There is also the potential for degradation in the insulation of internal wiring which could lead either to short circuits or to live wires touching parts of the casing which you might yourself touch - this I think is the main point of danger.

On the other hand, a quick PAT test won't probably tell you much more than the fact that there is or isn't acceptable leakage to earth; while getting someone to examine the internal workings of the fire might cost as much as buying a new one.

I would also want to ask if your main fuse bosrd is fitted with RCDs or old-fashioned fuses? RCDs are much safer as they are very sensitive and react very rapidly to short circuits.

It's up to you in the end, but equipment does deteriorate over time ...

[ 18. January 2013, 11:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We use new small electric heaters to supplement our heating. The rule is that they are unplugged from the outlet when we are not in the room. Also, they are plugged in through a high quality power bar that would trip out if there were to be a power surge or overheating. The power bar has a switch on it so that we could turn off the power supply if the heater ever malfunctioned or caught on fire.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it works without problems, personally, I'd carry on using it. Just because something is old, it doesn't mean it can't do the job. I have a kettle that still works, and I've had it since 1974.

If you're worried you might get an electrician to look over it. But I'd suggest meanwhile just don't leave it running unattended, even if only for a few minutes: if you leave the room, turn it off.

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for your responses.

I do only use the heater when I’m in the room and I’m always careful to switch off/unplug all electrical equipment when not in use. Hmm. I’m not really sure what to do. I don't want to get rid of it - it works so well. I’ll probably go on using it for the immediate future but I think I might think about replacing it before next winter, just for peace of mind.

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know those circuit breaker plug things you use with a lawnmower (in case you mow over the lead) or electric drill (in case you drill though a wire)? Would it make any difference using one of those if the concern is aged wiring possibly short-circuiting?

(I don't really know - it just struck me as a possibility.)

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You mean "Residual Circuit Breakers" (known as RCCBs or RCDs).

As I stated upthread, you may already have them fitted to your distribution board anyway, especially if it's been renewed in the last few years. Mine are so sensitive that they will trip out if I'm cutting my back hedge and the (waterproofed) plug and socket on the extension cable are lying on the dry lawn - I have to put them onto a bit of timber.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any ebay/paypal users out there?

My teenager bought a phone from ebay. It was against his wise mummy's advice, but she let him proceed as a lesson in life - a lesson he's now learning the hard way.

It was described as "having a barely noticeable crack on the screen, but in full working order".

There was a lot of delay on it being posted - apparently it was returned to sender once and then posted again (though not until I'd opened a case on ebay), so when it finally arrived with a somewhat bigger crack than anticipated, my boy still accepted it (still not realising it's wise to listen to mummy!) because he was so desperate to have a phone and it didn't seem to interfere with use.

That was two days ago. This morning he's got up and, overnight, two more cracks have appeared and most of the touchscreen is now no longer responsive.

Having closed the case about the delay in posting, and having accepted the phone and used it for two days, are we now - as I suspect - too late to do anything about the fact that it's rubbish?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
You mean "Residual Circuit Breakers" (known as RCCBs or RCDs).

Ah, so that's what RCDs are [Hot and Hormonal] I'm a bit clueless when it comes to things electrical. No, I've got old fashioned fuses.

The electricity company came and did a "free visual wiring check" a couple of years ago and advised that everything was safe but not compliant with current standards (or some such phrase).
[Smile]

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

If you have a fire designed in the 1960s, it's also quite likely not made to the same standards for finger penetration as a modern one would be, which may be an issue if children or animals are present.

I can remember my Dad having to put the cat out several times in the 1970s after she brushed against the fire.

TME

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several times? Not the brightest kitten in the basket, was she?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie posted
quote:
Any ebay/paypal users out there?
The one and only time I have ever had a problem on E-Bay I contacted the seller and he made it right. You might want to try that as a first step. I have not used the guarantee but if you can not work out an exchange or a least part of your son's money back with the seller, it is worth a try to contact. E-bay.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second that suggestion. Favourable customer ratings are very valuable to e-Bay vendors.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I emailed and got a very shirty response so have opened a case seeking a partial refund. We've taken photos of the amount of damage and made sure they show the date. Not sure how much success we'll have but it's worth a try.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I'd second that suggestion. Favourable customer ratings are very valuable to e-Bay vendors.

I'm sure Ebay don't approve of this notion but if they won't cooperate, could you buy something else (really cheap) from the vendor then leave lousy feedback?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dies anyone know what antimacassars are called nowadays?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think they may have got bigger, and now be called 'throws'.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Does anyone know what antimacassars are called nowadays?

Probably "headrest covers". The lacy, patterned look died out a while ago to be replaced by a much plainer, oops, "contemporary" appearance, too. Except on public transport, where they usually have logos on.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Domestically, didn't they used to be called 'chairbacks'? I seem to remember embroidering some in my youth.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still call them antimacassars.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Having closed the case about the delay in posting, and having accepted the phone and used it for two days, are we now - as I suspect - too late to do anything about the fact that it's rubbish?

You have quite a lot of rights when you've bought stuff online - see here - but only if the phone was bought as a 'buy it now' rather than in an auction.

Also, the fact of having used an item doesn't prevent you from claiming against the vendor if it doesn't work as advertised, although some unscrupulous retailers will try to assert otherwise.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Ricardus, thank you so much. The seller is claiming my son damaged the phone himself. Unable to see how I could prove otherwise, I was quite disheartened, but Citizens' Advice have given me some really good pointers and I have composed a more formal message. Fortunately I did do "buy it now" and from a business account, even though the item was not what they usually sell. Citizens' Advice were also of the opinion that he was breaking the Trades Descriptions Act by putting "no returns " on it as you can't refuse to refund faulty goods or goods not as described.

I'm still on sticky ground over the fact it was working when it arrived and we didn't get photos of the initial damage at that point or ask immediately for a refund, but we are still within our "7 day cool-off period" and it makes me a little more confident and willing to press on with our claim. Thank you!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Domestically, didn't they used to be called 'chairbacks'? I seem to remember embroidering some in my youth.

Ah yes, that's brought back some childhood memories. We always had 'chairbacks' - embroidered by my mum.

--------------------

Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone a suggested website they use which we could upload info like rotas onto for sharing among people who were given the password to go see?

Simple to use would be a bonus !

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I would use Google Groups for this. Just click on Groups on Google's home page and follow the prompts.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

Thank you Amanda, but not all concerned have a Google account. Although it maybe they don't have to.

I will investigate.

What I had in mind was if there was like a archive site which different people could access to get a template document. Free is what we want too!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You would create a Google account for yourself for this purpose. Then you would create a single login and password that everyone would use for accessing the information you'd post. No one could access the information without knowing the login and password.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I realized on the way home that I've left my mobile phone at the office, and won't be able to get it back until Monday. I have an old spare I can use meanwhile, but is it possible (in theory) to get any calls/texts forwarded on from the usual mobile to the spare one?

(It's not a Blackberry - I've consulted the phone provider's help pages but they only give forwarding setup instructions for that brand.)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016