homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Word of Life Church

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Word of Life Church
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A story I have encountered recently is of the "Word of Life" church in New Hartford, New York.

Link here.

Apparently this pastor is regarded as a prophet by her flock and ordered the parents of two teenage boys to flog them. (The boys do not appear to have done anything wrong.) One died as a result, and now numerous individuals including the parents and the pastor are charged with crimes.

I don't often run into such stories. How common is this? Is there any clear-cut way to prevent such a tragedy in the first place?

[fixed link]

[ 15. January 2016, 21:31: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link didn't work for me

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, nor me.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Word of Life church in Manchester (UK) but I don't know if it is linked to the US church. Probably is. What they believe sounds like ordinary Pentecostal beliefs, though I cannot imagine that Pastors such as the US one would begin to be tolerated here.

On the other hand, who knows?

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are zillions of churches called "Word of Life". I wouldn't assume they are any more linked than any church calling itself "St John's".

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only interesting bit is why people are prepared to follow obviously mad/bad leaders despite so many warnings. It must be some atavistic trait to follow the dominant ape.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
I don't know if it is linked to the US church. Probably is.

Quoting from at least one news report: "The evangelical congregation has no affiliation with or oversight by any larger church organization."

There are several "Word of Life" churches here in the Phoenix area, one of which is Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Others appear Pentecostal in nature from their websites. I MWd the LCMS one back in 2008. I may drop in on one of the others soon just to see.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there is a need in many people to have someone to tell them what the think, what to believe, what to do. It is comforting and enables people to pass their responsibility onto others.

Once you have delegated your responsibility then you just do what you are told. That is always a dangerous thing. If you delegate your responsibility to think, you sort of deserve all you get. But to make other people suffer sucks. To encourage others is abusive.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly enough people with similar beliefs to make To Train Up A Child by Michael and Debi Pearl a book people actually buy.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016