homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Annual London Absent Friends Meet, 6th February 2016 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Annual London Absent Friends Meet, 6th February 2016
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last 10 years* it has been our custom to meet up at the beginning of the year to raise a glass or seven to our departed shipmate Gambit.

During that time, we have been unfortunate to lose other shipmates, most notably recently ken who was another stalwart of London shipmeets.

So, I propose that we meet at our usual venue The Jugged Hare in Victoria (the location of the last shipmeet Gambit organised) around the first weekend in February. Anyone else up for it?

*Yes, it really has been 10 years [Frown]

[edited to include date in the title - Piglet, AS host]

[ 11. January 2016, 14:55: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've known Gambit and ken only from their posting on the Ship; happy to raise a pint in their memory. I might be able to make it to London that weekend.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah - I just came here to start such a thread...realising that somehow we had failed to do so in December.

I'm in. First weekend in Feb - so that's Sat 6th February - works for me. (Other Sats in Feb also looking good - but Jan is is out now.)

[edited to correct the date a bit - WW]

[ 06. January 2016, 12:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike - do you have a way to get in touch with A about it? I seem to have lost her contact details?

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm friends with her on Facebook. I'll inbox her.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be good to make it to this, given that I missed last year's due to an illness in the family.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius and I will be there. Anyone seen Deputy Verger or Rosamundi lately?

M

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Met Ken in person at a few SoCal meets. We were so happy for him when he finally found the right girl and married her....poor man - he just wasn't built for longevity.

Never met Gambit but he sounds like he must have been a great guy.

I wish I could go, but a) this is my busy season and b) our passports are out of order!

[Disappointed]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Macarius and I will be there. Anyone seen Deputy Verger or Rosamundi lately?

M

I've texted Rosamundi. Are we OK for Sat 6th?

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10 years!

[Frown]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Met Ken in person at a few SoCal meets. We were so happy for him when he finally found the right girl and married her....poor man - he just wasn't built for longevity.

[Confused]

ken wasn't married and to the best of my knowledge never attended a SoCal shipmeet. (I don't think even ever visited SoCal). You must be thinking of someone else.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir K is mixing Ken with Kenwritez.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been assuming it's 6th February.

M.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yangtze and I were certainly talking about 6 February today

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

OK, 6th Feb it is [Yipee]

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the reminder, Spike. I'll be there

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
6 Feb is OK for me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

In which case can a friend Host change the header to include the date: 6th Feb?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to be there - trouble is I say that every year, then don't quite manage to make it - but I'll try.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
In which case can a friend Host change the header to include the date: 6th Feb?

Done.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
Count me in!

Consider yourself counted.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provisionally pencilled in [Smile]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

It's still looking good for me too.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I tweeted Maddy and Dave W (I think that is his ship name) and they are up for it too. And I've let Rosamundi know the date.

If people are absent from the Ship but not from this life it adds a whole other level to the moniker 'absent friends meet' doesn't it.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I tweeted Maddy and Dave W (I think that is his ship name) and they are up for it too. And I've let Rosamundi know the date.

If people are absent from the Ship but not from this life it adds a whole other level to the moniker 'absent friends meet' doesn't it.

It's my one yearly connection with a community that played such a major part of my life!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I've sent a message to Agent Smith as well

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I've sent a message to Agent Smith as well

Say hi to her from me if she comes. She was my partner in crime at a Wightmeet.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Deputy Verger messaged as well.

M.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Does someone fancy calling the pub and reserving a table? Upstairs if we can. I'd offer but I've just managed to login to HMRC and am starting my tax return (8 days till deadline) so even just posting here is already a distraction and procrastination!

Spike- did you manage to get hold of Persephone Hazard?

--------------------

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just tried calling but no answer. Was going to book for about 15.

Someone else is welcome to try, but perhaps better post here once one of us has managed it!

Look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've made a booking, we can have the first strip of tables upstairs but there is another group up there as well.

I have booked a table for about 15 people for about 7pm in the name of Maddie. However, the kitchen now closes at 8pm (new management) so be warned!! She offered the chance to pre-order but that sounds like far too much hard work!

I don't mind changing the booking if people think that's best?

Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Yay, well done.

I have completed 1% of my tax return. And downloaded about a zillion bills (mobile, landline, broadband)....

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Brilliant! I might be there a little earlier, as planning on going to Tate Britain and I think they kick you out at 6pm!
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May be able to make this one.

[ 30. January 2016, 18:09: Message edited by: pete173 ]

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would love to be able to make this again but definitely not this year.

I am hoping that this time next year PaulW and I might be able to leave the MiniBeasts with my sister and have a weekend in London!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
May be able to make this one.

Oh that would be excellent. I still owe you a pint from the last one you attended, if that's an extra incentive to come :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Would love to be able to make this again but definitely not this year.
Am hoping that this time next year PaulW and I might be able to <...> have a weekend in London!

Now that is something to look forward too. Would be lovely to see you guys.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to try to come. I've never managed to get the courage together to make it to a shipment before, but I want to do so this year, and a very nice welcoming PM from a shippie who's going makes me think I might just make it this time.

I remember Gambit from back in the mists of Ship time, and I still notice the absence of and miss ken's posts, so I'd like to join you all to raise a mutual glass to them, if that's ok.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I remember Gambit from back in the mists of Ship time, and I still notice the absence of and miss ken's posts, so I'd like to join you all to raise a mutual glass to them, if that's ok.

You will be most welcome!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I'm going to try to get there, but the Tube strike might make it awkward.
Will do my best if it's do-able though. [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Thanks. I'm going to try to get there, but the Tube strike might make it awkward.
Will do my best if it's do-able though. [Smile]

The number 2 bus goes right past the pub!

Neil

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I arrive on Euston station. My phone tells me that from there it's a 47min walk to the pub. That's doable.

--------------------

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If strike happens, it doesn't start till 9.00 pm. So it's only a problem for getting home!

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I've made it an issue before I go to a pub never to think about the question "how will I get home?" [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The number 2 bus doesn't get me home. Not much gets me home if the tube doesn't run. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just stay in the pub all night!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this area quite well as I walk past the pub on my way to and from work. The buses (with routes on the links) that go past are the 2, 36, 185 and 436. For those coming down from the Kings Cross/Euston side, the 24 is a fair route with a tiny bit of walking either side.

I probably won't be around, unless work goes really badly and I have to work on Saturday, in which case I may swing by on my way home.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I am out beyond TfL buses by some distance. The options would be an overground route from Liverpool Street, followed by a bus, but most of them are closed for Crossrail work. And most of the linking buses don't run late in the evening.

[ 04. February 2016, 18:15: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Sounds like some Tubes will be running. Got this email from TFL today;

quote:
Dear luvanddaisies,

The RMT union is currently planning to strike from the evening of Saturday 6 February for 48 hours. If this goes ahead, Tube services would be disrupted from early evening on Saturday and all day on Sunday 7 and Monday 8 February. As the strike involves Tube station staff, Tube services will be running but many stations may open late, close early, or may not open at all.

Services on London Overground, the bus network, DLR, tram, river and TfL Rail services will run normally, but they may be much busier than usual. Extra buses will operate. Weekend engineering works on the Tube, TfL Rail and London Overground will go ahead as planned.

Buses do not accept cash. Please use contactless payment or Oyster, or a bus & tram pass ticket. Contactless is the same fare as Oyster.

Please check before you travel and visit tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike or follow @TfLTravelAlerts, @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter for the latest information.

...so it might not be too bad. Not like the ones where no Tubes run at all and life as we know it ends.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

So may I recap?

1) The place is The Jugged Hare. That's 172 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Victoria?
2) What time?
3) Secret handshake?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016