homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship Facebook groups

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship Facebook groups
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two Facebook groups I know of using the Ship name.

One group.

The other group.

Do either of these groups have official status?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
There are two Facebook groups I know of using the Ship name.

One group.

The other group.

Do either of these groups have official status?

Actually, you've linked to the same group twice!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an open group, there's a closed group, and there is a publisher's page. The publisher's page is set up like a fan page-- you can see their timeline, but anything you add will be redirected to a comment wall.

The other two need moderator approval before you can join, but you can post stuff to the timeline.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know about them. I have now joined. Hello facebookers....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you join the one with the spam or the closed group (which is where most of us are I think)?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The group linked in the OP has Simon and another admin as administrator. There's also another group with an administrator who has no position within the Crew here and has only posted here a couple of times in the last year. There may be other groups.

I would guess that if you were looking for the official site then the link on the main page of the Ship would be a strong hint ...

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Actually, you've linked to the same group twice!

So I have, oops. Seeing that the other one I know about has no official status I will not publicise it here. The official site seems to be carrying spam for handbag sales in the most recent posts.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The closed group is here. The open group (linked to in the OP) seems to carry similar posts (I assume some people are members of both) plus some spam. Given that admins and Simon/Steve appear to post in both I am just going to carry on in the closed group, rather than see the same post in more than one group. IIRC the closed group was originally started by a shipmate who has since been banned, but he handed over the admin of the group to the powers-that-be; he certainly doesn't post there any more as far as I can tell.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am Pending in the closed group.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The closed group isn't officially affiliated to the Ship in any way. It was set up by a couple of shipmates and IIRC was initially by invitation only.

Anything that happens there isn't endorsed by Ship of Fools

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be almost entirely made up of mildly satirical religious cartoons.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have joined (pendingly) both. I will see which I will continue with (maybe both).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same as Schroedinger's Cat.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found this confusing for awhile now (apparently even Hosts can be clueless; at least this one can!); I joined the closed group, and would sometimes see comments that Ship friends on Facebook had posted in a group called "Ship of Fools" (appearing in the friend's newsfeed), but when I went to the SoF group page, I sometimes couldn't find those discussions there. It has taken today's conversation to make me realize there are two groups with the same name, and with many of the same members, but that one is officially endorsed by the Ship and one not.

As Alan says, the fact that one is linked on the Ship homepage would be a good clue, if I ever went to the Ship homepage rather than straight to the boards.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what I don't understand (a thread in itself I hear you say.)

In "Have I Changed" All Saints, Alan Creswell said what I had suspected for awhile:
quote:
The level of activity on the boards has certainly reduced. One I was hosting Purgatory it was not unusual that if I was unable to check in for a day for some of the threads to have slipped well onto page 2. Now it often takes a week rather than a day for threads to slip that far. The other boards are likewise slower.

Part of that is that the number of people using the Ship is less,

Then there is talk of Facebook sites. Why? Why start discussing things on Facebook when we already have the ship?

I don't belong to Facebook and never will. I get quite sick of places like my church setting up forums on Facebook when we could simply talk on the church webpage. It's exclusive. Why this eagerness to force people to promote an insecure monopoly?

I come here on Sunday mornings and there's barely a new post on the board. So, I start a TICTH thread and it gets closed because people are actually contributing to it and seeming to have a good time.

Is total inactivity the goal now?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Then there is talk of Facebook sites. Why? Why start discussing things on Facebook when we already have the ship?

I don't belong to Facebook and never will. I get quite sick of places like my church setting up forums on Facebook when we could simply talk on the church webpage. It's exclusive. Why this eagerness to force people to promote an insecure monopoly?

[Overused]

If this were Facebook, I'd hit "Like."
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how Styxian this really is, but there are things about Facebook that makes it a nice complement to the Discussion Boards. For one thing, you can post pictures much more easily. I've seen cartoons drawn by Shipmates, flower arrangements, etc. I've shared their first Spring flowers. These are things which really add to your sense of connection with people, but aren't really conveniently handled within the context of a bulletin board--even in Heaven or All Saints.

I've also noticed the decline in the traffic on the Ship, but I don't think you can really blame Facebook for that. The structure of Facebook simply doesn't encourage long, drawn-out conversations. I would suggest it is more likely to have stolen time from the Cafe and the PM functions of the Ship than from discussion on the main boards. To be honest, I suspect that the decline of traffic is more likely due to the fact that the bulletin board as a forum is in decline all over the internet. If Television without Pity couldn't make it, the fact that the Ship is still here is a victory--even if it's sailing through quieter seas at the moment.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

There isn't much discussion on the SoF Facebook groups. And that is the answer really - on the SoF boards, we are supposed to discuss. Look here for an example of what gets said otherwise. The FB pages allow SoF members to post random, thoughtful and whimsical items, without the need (necessarily) to start a discussion.

I think the two methods therefore complement each other.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure it the open or closed group are actually running as there limited action on the open one, and the closed one remains pending for days.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Organ Builder and Chorister -- that explains several things for me.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not joined either FB group, and in fact have not accepted most Shipmates requests to be a friend. Which reflects why I use Facebook - which is to provide a means of keeping in touch with people I might otherwise struggle to maintain contact with. Since I have a selection of boards here to keep in touch with Shipmates, there's nothing to gain by doing that on Facebook as well.

I appreciate other people use Facebook for other purposes, and there might be some value in the medium that I don't see. The replacement for the Cafe makes a bit of sense, and as a one time part of the Cafe furniture I do miss that interaction space at times - not that I regularly have the time to hang out there anymore.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016