homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Katie Hopkins: 'I'm the new Jesus' (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Katie Hopkins: 'I'm the new Jesus'
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read all about it here.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what I think
(Click on picture to see it in full, Ms Hopkins top right)

I apologise if anyone finds this upsetting but I believe the two are linked. The various statements I've quoting helped to shape a public opinion that stood by and allowed the migrant crisis to continue in a cloud of apathy. That same mindset allowed our government to withdraw support for rescue operations because they might be a 'pull-factor.'

AFZ

P.S. Any bets on how long it takes for this thread to end up in Hell?

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, she isn't. Possibly quite the opposite.

And, I'm going to close with this.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ms Hopkins presumably does not see Jesus as divine, just a chap with a lot of followers. In that context what she says makes sense, she has followers too.

She is not claiming divinity.

It is deliberately provocative, which is Hopkins being Hopkins. Nothing new to see here, move along now.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Komensky
Shipmate
# 8675

- Posted      Profile for Komensky   Email Komensky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's horrific, really. Who invited her? I really want to know (I don't think Justin Welby will be too impressed). As posted above, words like hers have consequences, but what is better: to try to ignore her or somehow confront this kind of vileness in public?

K.

--------------------
"The English are not very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 1784 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
It's horrific, really. Who invited her? I really want to know (I don't think Justin Welby will be too impressed). As posted above, words like hers have consequences, but what is better: to try to ignore her or somehow confront this kind of vileness in public?

K.

This is the question.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything I might have to say about this vile woman belongs in Hell. I think there are other biblical characters she resembles more than Jesus. Like this

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the answer, AFZ.

Well meaning people taken for a ride by an outrageous self-publicist who, I'm sure, knew exactly what to say to get column inches.

{edited because of xpost)

[ 14. October 2015, 10:59: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Anything I might have to say about this vile woman belongs in Hell.

She did have her own dedicated thread in Hell, but it seems to have vanished. Can't find it in Oblivion either.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And come to think of it, this is pretty much bound to be a rant-thread which makes it a better fit for Hell.

So off to Hell it goes, to take the place of the Oblivionated one.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If she is the new Jesus, I'm turning to Islam.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
And come to think of it, this is pretty much bound to be a rant-thread which makes it a better fit for Hell.

So off to Hell it goes, to take the place of the Oblivionated one.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

I did wonder when we'd be seeing this.

Welcome one, welcome all...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Bad news. Jeremy Clarkson in the new Muhammad.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said on twitter, she can call herself that after she's been crucified and resurrected.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trite and unoriginal. Remember when John Lennon scandalized the world by noting that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus? That was what, 50 years ago.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

In that case, I'm a Jew.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She makes her living by being outrageous. She probably doesn't believe half of what she says, but says it anyway to keep her profile high and the money rolling in. She's edging ever closer to the point at which she's become so ridiculous that no one will care.

Why was she invited to speak at this event?

(Also, she's the living embodiment of Roald Dahl's comment about faces. Believe it or not, she's only 40, though she'd pass for a lot older.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help thinking that simply by having a thread dedicated to this vile creature, we're giving her the oxygen of publicity that she craves.

She probably Googles herself several times a day, just to check that she's still generating sufficient outrage.

The people who wrote the article in Alan's link have a point: is it possible that if everyone ignored her, she would go away?

(cross-post with NEQ, who said much of what I'm thinking)

[ 14. October 2015, 14:56: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everybody is entitled to their own Jesus. Katie Hopkins admits to being her own Jesus. At least she isn't claiming the historical Jesus was really a tabloid columnist and reality star whose true identity has been covered up by the institutional church for centuries.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

In that case, I'm a Jew.
Dave Cameron is the new Moses leading the UK into the Promised Land.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

As far as I know Dave Cameron is a defender with Falkirk Football Club.

Did you mean the Prime Minister? I think the footballer might do better.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TBH, there was a whole lot of twitter fury when it was announced she had been invited.

I am not sure why she was invited - what she was expected to contribute. The most likely result would be she would say something highly controversial and offensive, tell everyone how wonderful and misunderstood she was, and that would be it. Which is what she did. Does that actually help anyone? Apart from her, of course. And the main help she needs is to STAFU.

She is an utterly pointless, irritating, piece of shit. She claims to be speaking up for the voiceless, as long as they are not refugees, poor or struggling with life. These are not the voiceless. These are the people with far too much of a voice. She claims to be a new Jesus because she has 600K twitter followers. IIRC, Jesus had a very few followers - 12 who stayed with him, probably hundreds at the most. At the time of his death, he seemed to have very few.

And I have expelled more sensible comments from my arse than she makes. She is like Cameron, but without the second-hand-car salesman patter.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Ahhh...no doubt that is what the Sadducees said about Jesus.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoever invited this odious person to their conference needs their brains examined, to be excommunicated and to be strung up by the balls.*

*of course, I exaggerate. but it must have been some bald bloke thinking that this way their shitty little conference would get mentioned in the Guardian, right?

--------------------
arse

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's closer to being the new Fred Phelps.

Next!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
...she's the living embodiment of Roald Dahl's comment about faces. Believe it or not, she's only 40, though she'd pass for a lot older.)

Holy shit! She's only 40? [reluctantly checks wikipedia] - whoa, yes, it's true. And, it would appear that Roald Dahl is right on the money, as you say...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Whatever the private persona (and I'm not much into Dahl or Wilde on what the face shows about that) the public persona comes across as a hate peddler for reasons of commercial self aggrandisement. One way or another there will be 'a scattering of the proud' in her future. Her kind of pride always precedes a fall.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the explanation is 18 minutes into this.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

[Killing me] [Killing me]

That pretty well sums it up!

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Ahhh...no doubt that is what the Sadducees said about Jesus.

There is a big difference between those in power (the Sadducees) saying this, and those not in power saying it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, she's the British Ann Coulter?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

In much the same way that Jeremy Clarkson thinks he's the British P J O'Rourke: the British ones are nastier and far less talented.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roald Dahl:
quote:
“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.
That kind of thing from a respected writer, does far more harm than a silly woman who thinks her twitter followers are all people who agree with her and like her.

Some people have frown lines because they have bad eyesight, their mouths turn down at the corners because gravity is pulling in that direction, and sometimes their whole face looks angry because they have chronic pain. I have some old friends who are the soul of kindness but are starting to look pretty rough and I know some pretty people with beautiful smiles who have nothing but mean things to say.

It's just judging people by the outside, and saying unattractive people must be mean on the inside is kind of like calling certain ethnic groups cockroaches.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Twilight, you missed out the next paragraph which reads:

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

More over, it was a comment in The Twits, about Mr & Mrs Twit, "the smelliest, ugliest people in the world". Dahl was writing about them in a work of fiction.

If people want to use it as a principle, that is their lookout, and they should take the whole quote and the context into consideration.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how the second paragraph or the context makes a bit of difference. It's all putting forth the same idea -- that you can tell who is nice on the inside by looking at their outside and I don't happen to agree with that.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that she is a rather silly and sad woman who really needs a spell out of the limelight with someone loving and decent in her life who will help her (re?)discover her dignity and humanity. I do genuinely feel sorry for her.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

SioniSais;

The Roald Dahl comment --I had to go far back to find it was originally this by North East Quine:
quote:

Also, she's the living embodiment of Roald Dahl's comment about faces. Believe it or not, she's only 40, though she'd pass for a lot older.)

That seems to me to be saying she looks older than she is because she's nasty. I do notice how often a woman's appearance is brought into it if we don't like her views, much more than with men.

If you didn't think the quote was appropriate because it wasn't really about looks or because it was from a work of fiction. I wonder why you didn't mention it a page earlier.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She has cultivated a range of sneering and mocking expressions; it's part of her stock in trade. She looks a lot older than she is because she has deliberately avoided trying to look pleasant. She is trying to be a pantomime villain; it is how she earns her living.

The Roald Dahl quote seemed apt.

I cannot believe this is a good career strategy as she has to keep upping the ante. It is not sustainable.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I imagine that it is making, or will make, her deeply unhappy under all the surface bluster.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a horrid person.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

In much the same way that Jeremy Clarkson thinks he's the British P J O'Rourke: the British ones are nastier and far less talented.
Oh no he did NOT compare himself to P J O'Rourke. [Mad]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
And I imagine that it is making, or will make, her deeply unhappy under all the surface bluster.

The problem is, it is making other people deeply unhappy now.

At one time, I did feel sorry for her. No more. She is deliberately manipulating the media to portray her as someone who says what nobody else will. In truth, she says stupid things to shock.

I suspect the main people whose views she represents are the Tory party, who are out of touch with 95% of the UK population.

May she rot in hell. And then rot again. Useless, manipulative, shit-stirring piece of foetid dog-turd.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's playing a game - and thousands are happy to join in, feeding the troll.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
She's playing a game - and thousands are happy to join in, feeding the troll.

Ah, but what if she's like Mr Creosote? Keep feeding the troll. Just one waffa thin mint...

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I fully accept the "Don't feed the troll" concept, but because she is a well-known public figure, there is also a case for challenging her crap.

A failure to challenge the manipulative bull is one reason we have a manipulative pile of crap for a government. The problem with scum like Hopkins is that if you ignore her, she will just keep upping the ante until you respond. Because she clearly has no moral boundaries, she will always get there.

And, in particular, this incident is liable to reflect on the Christian faith, to an extent. Many people will assume (from the basic reporting of this) that Christianity is very much in line with Hopkins views.

WWJD? Probably say "For fucks sake, Hopkins, shut your fucking gob." Well maybe not.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

He would exorcise her. I don't mean that in the sense of driving out a literal demon- I imagine that's not the problem here- but he would offer her deliverance from the bitterness that she is feeding within herself and that is causing unhappiness to others and to herself.
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus,

Its been tried.

http://newsthump.com/2015/05/12/pope-admits-defeat-after-three-day-attempted-exorcism-of-katie-hopkins/

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

[Smile]
But seriously, and I know it's not very hellish to say so, I think we should be praying for her (and people like her). It is a horrible and very sad thing to see the divine image so distorted in a person.

[ 16. October 2015, 11:53: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's stupid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKuT6Z3q2KQ

"Your child's called India"

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

The name thing makes very little sense to an American. Simon is lower class, Poppy is upper? Okay.

I've now watched all of her You-tube videos and I'm just amazed that she is given so much airtime. She's neither smart nor funny. It's like listening to some bitter, drunk, out of touch old man, grumbling on his sofa as he watches TV in his smoke filled den, at the back of the house where his wife keeps him hidden, while she goes about her day.

I never thought I would say this, but we have insulted Ann Coulter.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016