homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like to thank the many people who have made the last decade here on SoF a frequent pleasure and continuous learning experience. You know who you are. I would also like to ask my victims and enemies for forgiveness, or at least for forgetfulness. Time may not heal all wounds, but ill memories of me hopefully will fade to insignificance with the usual speed of this medium.

I feel it is time for me to move on, before the flame within me is extinguished by my pretentious activities here (John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, 3.4). For those who care, rest assured that I have no crisis of faith. But in order to listen, one has to stop talking.

Please be not offended by a lack of reply, including to PMs.

Godspeed.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could have better spared a better man.

Or rather, I can't really spare you at all right now. But so be it. I suppose that, in many (most?) cases, I will know what you would have said.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fear not, there is nothing wrong with a good old ding dong.

Good luck in all future online-ishness and in RL [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fare well, Ingo B. I have long admired your intellect and energy. And I admit as a Catholic that you helped clarify and explain aspects of my faith better (and more thoroughly) than any of the priests and nuns in my long years of Catholic education. For that, I thank you.

But I understand your desire to move on. I cannot fathom the time and energy you must have spent researching and preparing your many responses.

What I would request (should you, perchance, be reading this)is that you keep your Ship password committed to memory. Maybe in a few years you might form the desire to sail with the Ship again.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey, IngoB this comes as a bolt out of the blue!

Respect to you for the decision.
May the listening prove more fruitful than you could have hoped or imagined
Godspeed to you too

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While I sometimes didn't agree with your views, they often made me think deeply about the issues under discussion, and I why I believe what I do. Debating with our opponents (and you weren't always in that role), can be better for us than agreeing with our friends. I for one think the Ship will be the poorer for your absence.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodbye IngoB. I will miss your posts.

I hope others of your faith and tradition can continue with some of your skill and ability to express its implications, so that I can both understand them and (charitably) choose to accept or reject them.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to see you go. You made me think.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn. I feel a sense of loss.

I wish you well.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fare thee well. I suspect we'll always think of you as a Shipmate, even if you never hop on board again.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

I feel it is time for me to move on, before the flame within me is extinguished by my pretentious activities here (John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, 3.4). For those who care, rest assured that I have no crisis of faith. But in order to listen, one has to stop talking.

Naturally, I had to look it up:

quote:
In hastening to solitude and exile, do not wait for world-loving souls, because the thief comes unexpectedly. In trying to save the careless and indolent along with themselves, many perish with them, because in course of time the fire goes out. As soon as the flame is burning within you, run; for you do not know when it will go out and leave you in darkness. Not all of us are required to save others. The divine Apostle says: "Each one of us shall give account of himself to God." And again he says: "Thou therefore who teachest another, teachest thou not thyself." This is like saying: I do not know whether we must all teach others; but teach yourselves at all costs.
Go with God, IngoB. I wish you all the best.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, these feels like the end of an era for me - I think IngoB has been an ever present RC voice on her since I started lurking and then subsequently posting.

God be with you.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best wishes IngoB I hope your listening bears fruit.

You have always demanded a higher level of debate, so any disagreements have required we not only challenge but back up our arguments, which is not a bad thing. I have always learnt and clarified my thinking debating with you. (Not that I have had enough time to do so much.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't forget to save others by snatching them out of the fire too, Ingo B.

May God bless you richly as you continue on your pilgrimage.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Damn. I feel a sense of loss.

I wish you well.

This.

Godspeed, IngoB.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Godspeed, Ingo.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very sad to say farewell IngoB! I have been reading and posting (at a low level) for over a decade - since before I switched from programming to teaching over twelve years ago - and it feels as though a pillar of my virtual life is vanishing. When a vastly experienced and respected colleague who feels like part of the very fabric of the school retires I feel just like this.

I've found your posts extremely provoking in just the sort of way I imagine SoF ought to be about. Like good chillies, they've been punchy, surprising and sometimes difficult to take, especially if your usual diet doesn't contain much of that sort of thing. Really hot ones might even make you cry for a bit - but they'll do you no harm in the end. They certainly make things a lot more interesting. Some weirdos even get to like the taste. Certainly I would always click on a Purg thread with your name in the "Last post" column.

I hope to encounter you again sometime, by sea or shore. God bless and God speed. [Votive]

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the best, IngoB.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry you're going. I hope you find what you need; have a peaceful, replenishing, and enlightening journey (enlightening as both finding light and lightening your load); and find your way back to the Ship.

And, in keeping with the thread title:

--I occasionally find it a relief to think of Mrs. Enid Kapelsen;

--42;

--and never forget where your towel is.

[Cool] [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found your posts helped to clarify things for me so you are a great loss imv. Go well!

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peace, Ingo.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wishing you well in all you do, and sending blessings.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go well, IngoB.

I often found you very hard to take, but that's a lesson and learning is precious.

Have adventures on your way.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IngoB, you know it will not just be pertinacious papists like me to whom your departure from these boards will be a great loss. It will be a greater loss than I think is currently appreciated.

Although disheartened - after all, you did so much of the work that we remaining Catholics would otherwise have had to stump up to (or, more likely, wouldn't have had the time, discipline or skill to do, but would have felt bad about it) - I think I do understand.

Others will doubtless differ from me in this [form an orderly queue] but I'm certain that you have demonstrated by your enormous efforts that the fullness of the Catholic faith is coherent, defensible and compelling, even in the face of the most implacable and determined opposition from so many corners. You have done what you can - what few of the rest of us could or would - and have done it bloody heroically, as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you, and may you keep on keeping the faith to the end.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
I'm certain that you have demonstrated by your enormous efforts that the fullness of the Catholic faith is coherent, defensible and compelling, even in the face of the most implacable and determined opposition from so many corners. You have done what you can - what few of the rest of us could or would - and have done it bloody heroically, as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you, and may you keep on keeping the faith to the end.

I'm a Prot, and I feel exactly the same. Ingo, you've been one of the most intellectually rigorous members of the Ship. I'll miss you a lot. Take care of yourself. Vogue la galère.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll miss you a lot. I think this place will be poorer without your contributions. I respect your choices, but hope you have second thoughts at some stage.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
Vogue la galère.

I don't know what this means, but the irony of that is certainly not lost on me.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

Neither did I, but according to Google, it means "let the galley be kept rowing".

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for your posts. I hope to meet you again at this table, or another.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
[Killing me]

Neither did I, but according to Google, it means "let the galley be kept rowing".

On this unrestful galley ship, it will seem like we are an oar short for quite a while. Even if it wasn't always pulling in the same direction of other oarsmen and women, it certainly made a fair number of very effective splashes.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
IngoB, you know it will not just be pertinacious papists like me to whom your departure from these boards will be a great loss. It will be a greater loss than I think is currently appreciated.

True, that. Of course, nobody is irreplaceable, but some people are more difficult to replace than others. Nowadays we would have to be very lucky indeed for someone of Ingo's knowledge and skills to happen upon this board whilst meandering through the internet, and then decide to devote time to it. So many alternatives. So many variables.

Still, with Corbyn's election and all, that's one turbulent priest in, in one field, and one successfully got rid of in another.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm another who will sorely miss your clarity of exposition. Living just down the road, I was looking forward to meeting you IRL at a Shipmeet sometime.

Pax at bonum.

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

The Ship will be a lot poorer.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
But in order to listen, one has to stop talking.

Pax, friend.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we're done here - we don't usually allow these sorts of goodbye threads but we've let it run a few days and now I'm closing it.

WW - AS Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016