homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do we need new political descriptors ?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do we need new political descriptors ?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strikes me that currently the political landscape is changing. I think it would be helpful to try develop descriptions less simplistic than left / right.

What continua would it be helpful to include ? But some suggestions:

• Big state, little state
  • Venture capitalism to communal barter
  • Sexually conservative to totally uninterested
  • Eco-warrior to climate change denial
  • Human rights to security first
  • World's policeman to not within our borders not our problem
  • Little Britain to globalist

Could we somehow manage this with compass positions - xparty are north east, by south west moderate.

(It would make political discussion pleasingly like the shipping forecast.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
[*]Big state, little state

This one surely needs to be subdivided. There are people who think that the state shouldn't regulate the financial sector or have more than minimal welfare provision but that it should spend lots of money on the military and the police, and keep the police loosely regulated. There are people who think the state should heavily regulate the financial sector and maintain a strong provision of services, but that the police should be heavily regulated.

I don't think there's any good reason why the latter position is widely considered more big state than the latter.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
[*]Big state, little state

This one surely needs to be subdivided.
Yes, into at least the "low tax/low spend - high tax/high spend" and "minimal regulation - maximal regulation" categories. The latter of which, of course, itself has the subdivisions to which you refer.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've needed new political descriptors ever since someone coined the terms left and right. They were never adequate.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tory" is derived from an Irish Gaelic word meaning "outlaw" or "thief".

Works for me.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Little Britain to globalist

This is an interesting one. As a generalisation it is assumed that "left wing" are internationalist, and "right wing" are nationalists. Except, of course the SNP are commonly thought of as left wing but are clearly nationalist. In many countries, of course, "nationalist" is an intermediate position, in the US to one side you have internationalists (although they seem to be a rare beast from what I've seen) and to the other those who hold to the individual States having greater autonomy.

And, the position along the local-nation-region-global spectrum is also issue variable. People who think about, say, economics should favour local enterprises may still say defence is something best handled by international organisations such as the EU or UN.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Us and Them?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marxism is interesting as it is often associated with big state (as in the Soviets), yet M and E used to talk about the state shrinking away in the end. In fact, the term they used was 'wither away':

"The society which organizes production anew on the basis of free and equal association of the producers will put the whole state machinery where it will then belong–into the museum of antiquities, next to the spinning wheel and the bronze ax." (Fred).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Idiotic egotists to Egotistic idiots?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
We've needed new political descriptors ever since someone coined the terms left and right. They were never adequate.

To be fair, they weren't all that inaccurate for the French National Assembly at the revolution. Though they didn't tell you much more about someone's politics than roughly where they might be sat in the meeting chamber.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smart to dumb?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Yes, into at least the "low tax/low spend - high tax/high spend" and "minimal regulation - maximal regulation" categories. The latter of which, of course, itself has the subdivisions to which you refer.

That depends. Do you think spending on the police and army is sufficiently similar to spending on health to be bound up together along one axis, or are they in fact two different axes.
It a bit depends upon your political philosophy whether they're different axes or the same axis.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Nolan Chart bascially does what the OP is suggesting. It charts political positions on a quadrant, rather than a continuum.

I've long been uncertain as to what I think about this approach, since part of me still thinks that "right" and "left" are both rooted in distinct views of human-nature. Though I admit that Nolan does make a certain amount of sense when you're trying to categorize groupls like the Ron Paulites in the US(anti-welfare, anti-war), or people like that "bigoted old woman" who hectored Gordon Brown on the campaign trail(as I recall, she was pro-welfare, but anti-immigration).

[ 23. September 2015, 19:58: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cresswell wrote:

quote:
in the US to one side you have internationalists (although they seem to be a rare beast from what I've seen) and to the other those who hold to the individual States having greater autonomy.

Actually, if the word means something like "Wilsonian Internationalist", ie. support multilateral military interventions around the world in order to bring freedom and democracy to everyone(and hey, grab a few resources and install a few friendly regimes while we're at it), rather than "New Internationalist", ie. the British magazine about going to the third world and helping people dig wells and use birth control, then "internationalism" has fairly widespread support in the US. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would both be examplars of the tendency.

[ 23. September 2015, 20:08: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started thinking about this OP whilst listening to Andrew Neil interview Mathew Paris about the Lib Dem conference, (I'm off sick watching daytime tv - so bite me).

Paris was suggesting the lib dems - and Farron specifically - have no principles because they are now saying they are going for the "centre ground".

It seemed to me that this missed the point, the liberals almost never talk about liberal theory. It also makes me think that several parties can end up with similar policies for certain areas - but for entirely different reasons.

At various times talking about why they may make those choices, is more useful than knowing such and such a specific choice in advance. Sometimes not.

[ 23. September 2015, 20:10: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think it may alsobear on what you think the government is for, or the nature of the social contract.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Parris was suggesting the lib dems - and Farron specifically - have no principles because they are now saying they are going for the "centre ground". ...

Why is that unprincipled? And why should the extremists and doctrinaire have a monopoly on principles? It sounds a good principle to me.

[ 23. September 2015, 22:02: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

My point exactly - but part of the problem seemed to be that we almost never hear the lib dems explaining what liberalism is - rather than explaining being for or against specific policies.

[ 23. September 2015, 22:06: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My point exactly - but part of the problem seemed to be that we almost never hear the lib dems explaining what liberalism is - rather than explaining being for or against specific policies.

A cynic might argue that a reasonable fraction of the Liberal Democrat party isn't actually Liberal.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Could we somehow manage this with compass positions - xparty are north east, by south west moderate.

The libertarians always used to publish their "political compass" quiz that seemed designed to make people seem more libertarian than they actually were by careful choice of question.

A decade ago, a guy I knew online (now deceased) produced his own version based on asking a set of questions and performing a principal component analysis to determine what the axes were. He found that the dominant axis was close to a traditional left/right thing, with economic and social issues blended. The second axis he describes as pragmatic vs idealistic. It's a slightly odd blend of opinions, and I suspect that this axis was rather skewed by the self-selecting nature of his dataset.

He re-did the analysis in 2005, based on YouGov data from a representative sample of British voters, and the results are here. Two axes - both are left-right in some sense: one is more of a social / crime-and-punishment / leave the EU axis, and the other more of a free-market axis.

It would be interesting to see a recent repeat of such an exercise.

[ 23. September 2015, 23:01: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

it would also be interesting to see how what people said their opinions were related to how they acted, but that's hard to measure.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I don't think the liberal democrats have ever been libertarians though - have they ?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

There are some distinct differences between liberal and libertarian, and especially between social liberal (which the LibDems mostly seem to be) and libertarian.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
I don't think the liberal democrats have ever been libertarians though - have they ?

No, not at all. I'd agree with Alan that the centre of the modern Liberal Democrat party is more or less social liberal, but some significant fraction of the party doesn't seem to be very liberal at all.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016