homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Edinburgh, 7/8 November?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Edinburgh, 7/8 November?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were already talking a bit about it on the other thread, but from 7 November noon to 8 November end afternoon, I will be in Edinburgh (my Scottish colleague says that I pronounce the name of this city wrong, so this would be the first thing I should get right when I'm there [Smile] )

I would like to see something nice in this city (in my case, this never means that I have a meticulously well-planned trajectory) and I would like it if it were possible to meet some Shipmates.

For me, all possibilities are open, afternoon, evening ... You know the city better than I, so you probably know what works best [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's not a long time, and at a time of year when it will be dark by early evening. Where are you staying?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to save my leave days to go to Brazil, so I can only go in the weekend.

I booked a room at the Ritz. (Does that sound posh? It only cost £60).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not the most historic bit - it used to be railway land and breweries before it was redeveloped into hotels and conference centres and offices of financial institutions.

Head east: it's all walkable, but a day ticket on Lothian buses is a good investment. Churches - St Giles and the Canongate Kirk. The Castle of course. Pubs - the Bow Bar on Victoria St. In general - the Royal Mile, from the Castle Esplanade to Holyrood. Take a northbound bus from George IV Bridge and sit on the top deck front seat for those moments when it goes down The Mound, over Princes St, up and over George St and down Dundas St and you're plunging through Georgian Edinburgh towards the Forth. Good museums - the National Portrait Gallery, then walk along Queen St.

Or be on Princes St as dusk falls and the spot lit Castle rises like some mad galleon and the Scott Monument like an unlaunched space rocket. I dunno: I've lived here 35 years and it still astonishes me.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Some good ideas, thank you! I realise that it's silly to go to Edinburgh for such a short time, but it is what I can do at the moment, and well, I do silly things sometimes [Smile] I'm looking forward to it, I've wanted to go there for a long time.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Yes, go with the flow - you can't possibly see everything. I recommend the Old Town because for me walking that volcanic spine of The Mile and looking down the Closes seems to give a feel for the history of the place. But I'm a Southsider - which is the studenty, immigranty quarter with the synagogue and the mosque and the Chinese True Jesus church (and surviving now in name only, Little France and Burdiehouse - aka 'Bordeaux House' - where the French entourage of Mary Queen of Scots settled).
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't go into the castle, because that will use up too great a chunk of your time. Enjoy looking up at it.

I'd second the suggestion to walk the Royal Mile, which will let you see the castle, St Giles, the statue of Hume, all the closes, the Holyrood parliament building, and Holyrood palace.

The National LIbrary, just off the Royal Mile, usually has small but interesting exhibitions just by the front door, the sort of thing you can nip into in passing.

One of my favourite Embra things is a pot of tea in Jenner's cafe, overlooking the Scott monument, the Castle etc. YMMV.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D. and I are coming over the pond on 1st November, and we'll be in Edinburgh on the 6th, but the current plan is to head up the A9 to Orkney on Saturday 7th, so we'll just miss you.

Have a great time - Edinburgh is one of my very favourite places on earth! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Some good ideas, thank you! I realise that it's silly to go to Edinburgh for such a short time, but it is what I can do at the moment, and well, I do silly things sometimes [Smile] I'm looking forward to it, I've wanted to go there for a long time.

It's not silly at all. The shortest trip to Edinburgh is worth it. Every time I walk out of Waverley Station and see the Castle, I get a "Wow!!" moment. The Scott monument - such a huge monument for a writer! is another thrill.

I don't think that will ever change.

If I'm in Edinburgh for a meeting, I can always fit in a couple of Edinburgh! moments, even if I only have 30 mins to spare. I've been working my way round Museums of Scotland in Chambers Street just a small section at a time. Or I'll check out the exhibition at the National Library. Or I'll pop into St Giles.

There's nowhere else quite like Edinburgh.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I went a few years ago, I went on a guided walk - from somewhere near St Giles. Though 'touristy' it did get me into places I wouldn't otherwise have thought to explore, gave some history, and was about 90 minutes.

The castle is worth a visit, but will probably take too much of a chunk of your time.

Jennifer

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are also ghost tours of the more spooky parts of town, which are best done at night after visibility to see other attractions has failed.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(my Scottish colleague says that I pronounce the name of this city wrong, so this would be the first thing I should get right when I'm there [Smile] )

I

imagine putting your head into a bra
head-in-bra

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to Edinburgh at this time last year, for not much longer than LeRoc.Walking the Royal Mile is a must, and just mooching round that are is great. We enjoyed the National Gallery of Scotland , worth going to if you like art and have the time. We also went to the David Bann vegetarian restaurnat, which was good, but not memorable.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It normally costs £16 to get into Scotland's no.1 tourist attraction.
However, if you say : I want to see the Scottish National War memorial, then you will get into the Castle for nothing.

You may be accompanied by Castle staff to see that you don't go anywhere else ,but you do get a good view of the Castle inside the walls.

Free entrance is for anyone, not only for Scots,
who askes to see the Scottish National War memorial,built in the 1920s and paid for by the Scottish people.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I might struggle to be there. A Saturday afternoon/evening followed by Remembrance Sunday is not a good time for clergy types. I'll try, because I would like to meet you, Le Roc, but it isn't looking too good.

However, if you hang around the High Street and St Giles Cathedral on Sunday morning, you should see a fair amount of solemn pageantry. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I might be able to make Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I can't do evenings because of children.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm sorry I can't come out for a drink, but circumstances keep me at home more than usual at the moment.

However, I'd second Cottontail's suggestion for Sunday morning.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm thinking of just sitting somewhere to have a drink around, say 3:30pm on Saturday, and see if any Shipmates show up? (If none can make it, I'll have a pint for myself [Smile] ) What would be a good place for that?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

3.30 might be doable.. If you are in the Old Town, I always recommend The Bow Bar in Victoria St. Particularly if you like a good beer on draught.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I do like a good beer on draught. And the Bow Bar looks excellent.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

OK, let's pencil that in. I will try and make it if at all possible.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

So, I'll be travelling to Edinburgh on Saturday, and I'll be having what is hopefully a good ale at 3.30pm at the Bow Bar. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I will probably be wearing a blue-yellow jacket with "Brazil" in big letters. That should be recognisable [Smile]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to make this [Frown]

I hope you enjoy your brief jaunt north of the border, and that you see enough to want to come back [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I just had a pleasant conversation with Dafyd at the Bow Bar (I may have been a bit, err ... cheerful after three pints of Scottish Ale, I hope he'll forgive me that [Smile] ) Edinburgh is beautiful, and even the sun made an appearance this afternoon!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I would much rather been there with both of you than where I was. Good beer there, isn't there?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your fleeting stay.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Yes, definitely! Spending this time in the UK really has rekindled my taste for a good ale.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
(my Scottish colleague says that I pronounce the name of this city wrong, so this would be the first thing I should get right when I'm there [Smile] )

I

imagine putting your head into a bra
head-in-bra

What a wonderful thought! Especially if a lovely lady's attached to it. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

It was very good. I walked the Royal Mile, visited St. Giles, had a good pint with Dafyd, went to the Remembrance Day Ceremony, climbed Arthur's Seat, visited Holyrood House and had a quick look at the Scott monument. A beautiful and interesting city, which left a deep impression on me. Thank you all for your tips.

Ah, and in between I may have drank something that Scotland is famous for brewing [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ah, and in between I may have drank something that Scotland is famous for brewing [Smile]

Tea?
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it was McEwans Export, my sincere apologies. I hope you found somethign to wash the taste from your mouth, a super-hot vindaloo sometimes helps.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Alan, this is the Bow. They wouldn't use McEwen's to flush the cludgie.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Yes, but he wandered around a fair bit of the town. He may have found a drinking establishment that serves it.

I was once at a conference in Edinburgh where there was a session for various companies to try and convince the academics present to part with research budgets. The exhibitors tried to sweeten things by providing beer. Unfortunately the aforementioned swill, at the end of the day there were crates of the stuff left that they couldn't even encourage the students to take. Students turning down free "beer", rather a definite statement on the quality of the stuff.

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it was Irn Bru.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'd never heard of McEwen's, but I managed to steer well away from it. I remember having Deuchars and Edinburgh Castle, I liked both of them.

I had tasted Irn Bru before, some Scottish friends let me try it in Milton Keynes. Sweet stuff isn't really my thing [Smile]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'd never heard of McEwen's, but I managed to steer well away from it. I remember having Deuchars and Edinburgh Castle, I liked both of them.

I had tasted Irn Bru before, some Scottish friends let me try it in Milton Keynes. Sweet stuff isn't really my thing [Smile]

A good (and there are others) pint of McEwen's 80/- (eighty shilling) ale can still be a not unreasonable beer provided you can find a bar where they take good care of it. I haven't had one for a while, so I don't even know if it's still available. It was the drink of the more discerning in my student days. Never let anyone persuade you to try Tennent's lager. The devil serves it in hell.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
I remember having Deuchars and Edinburgh Castle, I liked both of them.

Deuchars is good. *Adds Edinburgh Castle to list of beers to try*

So many good beers, so little time. And, that's just sticking with things brewed. If we move onto things distilled ... well, there's lots of very fine options there.

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016