homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » To boldly go ... again

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: To boldly go ... again
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what to think about the Star Trek reboot on TV (or at least on streaming). I'm not enthusiastic about the last series of films (I admit I only saw the first one). I think I'll have to wait and see.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have high hopes. The last new Star Trek series, Enterprise, was one I really enjoyed.

The two newest movies were very good. Not my ST*, but well made and entertaining. So glad Mr. Spock was in them.

*We really can't have my ST, can we? The gang is dead, dying, and older than me. I know if the galaxy depended on me to jump, fight, escape and do ST things, we would be in deep doodoo.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To boldly go ... again?

Make it so! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched all of TOS, TNG, DS9 and about half of VOY. I saw a couple of ENT episodes, but never got into it. I missed the sense of wonder of finally going into the universe.

I saw the first of the new movies, but I've all but forgotten about it. I also admit that teenager LeRoc was rather, erm ... impressed with Lt. Uhura. I guess seeing her played by a different actress didn't fall well [Smile]

For me it depends a bit on what they're going to do with this new series. Another lone space ship discovering new planets? I'm not sure if that's going to work again.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Voyager and Enterprise were duds (the excellence of Janeway was undone by the awfulness of Neelix, Star Trek's equivalent of Jar Jar Binx). It will need to be an awful lot better than those two.

I haven't yet seen the 2nd of the new films, but the first did cut it. I was expecting to hate it, but there were enough nods to the original series and films to make it faithful to what I would interpret as the Star Trek geist.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I will not be popular, but I like Voyager of all the series. I think it is the fact that, more than most of the other series, they explored meaning and significance in events.

The think is, it was not always just "find a planet, be nice to the people, be nasty to the people, run and hide". I remember one, in particular, where there ended up being 2 voyagers hooked together, and only one could continue. But the one who sacrificed themselves was the one we had been following, not the other one - it made the sense of loss so much more poignant.

I never really got into TNG or ENT. I am sure they would be good if I could, but they never hooked me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Just as a fun Heavenly question: if you were the boss, what would you want this new series to look like?

Some people on the internet have suggested a setting on a planet at the fringes of the Federation. A kind of lawlessness, and people having a look at the Federation and its ideals from the outside.

This is a bit like the first seasons of DS9 (before the Dominion entered), but I think I would like this.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Just as a fun Heavenly question: if you were the boss, what would you want this new series to look like?

Some people on the internet have suggested a setting on a planet at the fringes of the Federation. A kind of lawlessness, and people having a look at the Federation and its ideals from the outside.

Sounds like Firefly to me.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sipech: Sounds like Firefly to me.
I don't know Firefly, you may be right.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may or may not watch it. The only two new things I've wanted from the Star Trek Universes is a Klingon grand opera (I understand one was mounted in Holland) and a sit com set on Feregnenar.

The new movies were ok, but they did seem to have the mental mind set of teenagers. I suppose it gave the opportunity for some Spock/Spock slash fiction.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

Sounds like Firefly to me.
Sounds like the Maquis who lived on the edges of Cardassian space.

Firefly is something else entirely. I like it, but it didn't have the technology nonsense and challenges that ST incorporated as commentaries on contemporary society.

The two series that did it more or less right are TNG and DS9. The TNG episode "The Inner Light" is profound. Picard lives an entire life on a planet created in his mind by a probe. The Ressikan flute tune stays with me still. I also took a lesson from Tapestry, where Picard goes back in time and avoids getting into a lethal fight, which changes everything. It is a good lesson in "contingent history". It was one influence for me to finally give up employment completely and work for myself: Star Trek is a form of modern literature and literature can change lives.

There was period of time where some of my friends and I played a game called Darmok after the episode of the same name. You have to talk in metaphor and with literary references to convey a point or emotion. e.g., "Jesus in the garden with sleepyheads"- what does that convey?

Back to the Question:
I liked Battlestar Galactica quite a bit, thought the ending and last half season of episodes sucked. So something grittier, focused on characters, with commentary on current issues would be good. Something religious, but not Bajoran please. And please stop the pizza-on-forehead alien schtick.

Note. I am one of those people who knows far too much about ST. I have a good collection of action figures. My phone ringtone is Majel Roddenberry saying "Incoming transmission" like the computer on STNG. I have a framed mock-up picture of the Enterprise D (before the STNG movies) on the wall produced by NASA and the Jet Propulsion Lab. Yes, I have all the movies, including the two recent ones, and can quote the lines that were re-used from Wrath of Khan in ST: Into Darkness.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've generally enjoyed all the Star Trek series. Each of them (with the obvious exception of TOS) tried to do something different from the previous series. TNG tried to present a more mature Federation, one where Picard would talk first rather than fire phasers. DS9 was on the frontiers of Federation space where different values mingled in interesting ways, and by largely staying in one place allowed the writers to develop the nature of the different races much more. Voyager was shoved across the galaxy and left without the support of the Federation. Enterprise took us back to the start of human exploration of the galaxy and pre-Federation.

Of course, all of them failed at some point, but you're never going to get everything right - especially running over several seasons. But, by and large they did well IMO.

Although, I still haven't seen all of Enterprise. Flausa was never a fan, so we found other things to watch. Recent re-runs have allowed me to watch to the end of season III (except, my Tivo threw a wobbly so I got the first 5 minutes and the last few minutes of the final episode ... and never saw how they saved Earth from the Xindi. Hopefully it'll be around again soon) and odd episodes from season IV.

The two latest movies set in an alternative future were brilliant. A great way to re-imagine the older story lines. With great references to the older series and films.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Sounds like the Maquis who lived on the edges of Cardassian space.
Exactly. And also about the whole Bajor thing. Traumatised by the Cardassian occupation, a lot of political-religious turmoil going on, not quite sure what to think about this Federation thing ...

Rodenberry's world view was a society where humanity had somehow overcome things like poverty, disease, greed ... (without really explaining how). A lot of fans like ST for this kind of optimism, and I understand that.

But what the first seasons of DS9 offered was an outside look at that. Bajorans were like: "Your ideals look all nice and shiny, but do we want to join into that?" That's interesting, and it gave rise to some good stories.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Dominion. They were an interesting foe at times, and there were some interesting stories about them. But when they entered, some of the interesting ambiguities between Bajor and the Federation were pushed a bit into the background.

So, I guess this would be my wish for a new ST series. Not on Bajor of course, but somewhere at the edge of the Federation, having a look at it halfway from the outside.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like a lot of Fred Clarke's ideas for things to be included in a new ST. Particularly decentralising the humans (although the CGI/effects budget would probably be prohibitive) and diverse casting (I'm open to the possibility of Loki too [Biased] ).

In common with Fred and most posters here, I think the best mileage is to be had from the edges of the federation and long-running story arcs rather than the very episodic nature of the early series where there was so much beam down - do stuff - beam up and off we go. Perhaps a smaller scout ship with a more limited crew would offer interesting possibilities - fewer redshirts to be used up as cannon fodder and more potential for character development. Of course, I've lived without broadcast TV for so long now that I probably wouldn't remember to go and catch it on demand, so I might not be a useful target demographic!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another option would be to follow an alien ship, someone with natural values quite distinct from the Federation (but still a member race). The tension between the natural inclinations of the crew and their desire to be Good Little Federationers (GLFs). Maybe Klingons or Ferengi.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bajor wasn't quite like the Middle East, and the Cardassians weren't quite like either the Russians or Chinese. They were too ugly for our empathy.

ST:Enterprise was trying too hard to be a 17th or 18th century sailing vessel lost in the Indian Ocean. They then got hopelessly lost in the Xindi thing. Jonathon Archer was too sincere and earnest.

I thought the movie ST: Insurrection was rather good. A society living well within the environment, and resource exploiters show up. Unfortunately it went the way of hidden talents in the primitive-appearing inhabitants. But what about a running sub-hot war, necessarily involving terror attacks, something I've been rather surprised we don't see much more of in Nigeria from people whose pristine environment is run through with leaky pipelines. Could they model it on some African issues? What we really need to avoid is the 'technology will save us', rescue by Federation angelic good guys, and meet random aliens who turn out to have hidden good or bad talents which teach us a lesson.

Failing that a Star Trek sit-com with a laugh track.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Bajor wasn't quite like the Middle East
True. DS9 aired in the nineties, just between the two Gulf Wars. I guess the parallel with the ME would have been stronger if it were after 9/11.

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Failing that a Star Trek sit-com with a laugh track.
Another thing I've often thought: if they want to appeal to a teenager audience, they could do a show based on Star Trek Academy. Plenty of interesting stories to tell there, and if they wish they can have some characters fall in love with each other from time to time.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

And, "die" (repeatedly) in the Kobayashi Maru scenario.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who (like no prophet's flag is set so...) thinks that "The Inner Light" is profound. That and "The Offspring" are two episodes that caused me to sob uncontrollably. If the New ST creators are wise, they'll have thought provoking and heart wrenching episodes in mind.

It doesn't hurt to have some funny moments. Tribbles and Klingons are always good for a laugh, and "Sir, there is a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder" can cheer me up on a down day.

I'm certainly not creative enough to make suggestions to TPTB, but they can always call me after an episode airs hoping I can tell them "Yeah, that was really good."

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one massively excited by the idea of a new Star Trek, but I wonder who'll get streaming rights in the UK. Currently neither Netflix nor Amazon Video (Prime free streaming) has Trek. That would be a total deal-maker for me, if somewhere had all the series (unless I find a company to convert all my DVDs into a format I could have on a little hard-drive and play on my iPad.)

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have wondered before if the Department of Temporal Investigations would make a reasonable series.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alicďa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicďa   Email Alicďa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh this is the best news ever. [Yipee] well ok maybe not ever... not quite up there with the good news of our salvation but it is amazing good news!

As long as they don't Enterprise it. Which wouldn't have been so bad if they chose a different captain and didn't keep destroying the timeline, but then we're used to that now.

I also loved Voyager. Just did [Smile]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Another one massively excited by the idea of a new Star Trek, but I wonder who'll get streaming rights in the UK. Currently neither Netflix nor Amazon Video (Prime free streaming) has Trek. That would be a total deal-maker for me, if somewhere had all the series (unless I find a company to convert all my DVDs into a format I could have on a little hard-drive and play on my iPad.)

Currently a couple of the Freeview channels, CBS Action and CBS Drama, are showing DS9 and TOS.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Star Trek as a kid, with the original series, and had all the books. However I do feel many series seem to be extended beyond the natural life of that series. Once it starts going into the next generation, it's usually had it. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, my personal feeling is they've all had their day and should be put to rest. If there's originality and creativity, put it into something new, we could do with something original and different.

Anything on streaming, I won't be watching (bandwidth).

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

Currently a couple of the Freeview channels, CBS Action and CBS Drama, are showing DS9 and TOS.
Yeah, it's on, and I have DVDs of all the series except Enterprise, which passed me by, but I'd like to be able to binge-watch them whenever I like on my iPad, hence wishing there was a way to put my DVDs onto a hard drive and plug it in.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Well, it's not going to be a "Captain Worf" series , and its going to be in the JJ Abrams timeline. Boo [Frown]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, it's not going to be a "Captain Worf" series , and its going to be in the JJ Abrams timeline. Boo [Frown]

I would love to see a Captain Worf series.*
However, I am not disappointed that the new series will be in the new timeline. It will allow a freedom that the older series did not have. With the notable partial exception of DS9.

*Though a Captain Uhura series would be my ultimate choice...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

For me, part of the attraction of Star Trek is its established universe, the history and the characters we know, and the introduction of new elements to that (the Borg in TNG, the Dominion in DS9). Roddenberry had a particular vision for what Star Trek was, and the Star Trek -ness of it comes from that.

I like to keep the Abrams movies apart from the canon in my head. An interesting experiment, but not part of 'our' timeline, I'd be sad to see Roddenberry's universe changed further. The films could run in parallel to the previous films, having a series in the Abrams timeline muddies it further.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Roddenberry had a particular vision for what Star Trek was, and the Star Trek -ness of it comes from that.

I've seen a critical history of Star Trek argue that actually Star Trek only took off once Gene Roddenberry's hands loosened on the helm. (Gene Roddenberry was apparently very much a conservative military man (*), and the elements of Star Trek that are more tolerant and pacifistic are from other people in the production team.

(*) Starship Captain James T Kirk: we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill. We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot ot kill, men.
Star Trekking, across the universe...

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Wars trilogy (The 1st, real and ONLY so far) would have been an inferior product if Lucas ran the thing himself, Jaws less compelling if everything Spielberg planned worked, The Simpsons blossomed under writers other than its creator. Sometimes a child is best raised by adoptive parents, or at least an extended family.
Personally, other than the freakin' lens flares, I don't think J.J. Abrams' Trek wandered off the reservation.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Maybe they could do a StarTrek Christmas pageant?

Make it so!

(A rather delightful short youtube.)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Make it so!

(A rather delightful short youtube.)

[Smile] "shut up Wesley". [Killing me]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016