homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pets and the feel good factor

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pets and the feel good factor
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought I might bring something I read in AS into Purgatory.
It was about the psychological benefits of looking after, and keeping a cat. My daughter acquired a cat straight after her 2 yr marriage broke up for seemingly no reason and, without putting too finer a point on it, I believe it was the saving of her emotional health.

The Ancient Egyptians held domesticated cats in very high esteem, someone somewhere coined the phrase 'a dog is a man's best friend, and Hindus have animals incorporated into their religion. So there does appear to be something quite deep going on.
At the other end of the spectrum this time of year usually sees the sometimes regrettable matter of small children being presented with larger pets for sentimental reasons, the net result often being misery rather than joy, not least for the animal itself.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on some or any of this, not that I was looking to get carried away over contentions on the whole animal rights bit.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Research has proven what I've known for many years -- it's beneficial to sleep with your pets, especially dogs.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knowing that another living creature depends on you creates a sense of purpose. A sense of purpose leads to an appreciation of one's own value and worth. Pets are a really good example of how much we humans need to feel that our individual existence makes a difference, even if it's "just" a pet.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone said to me today that her emotional health following the loss of her dog was so poor that, if she hadn't acquired another, she would by now be seriously ill. She now has three, so that she will never be without one.

Relationship with pet animals is so much easier than relationship with human beings. The question running around my head is 'Are we less likely to bother with making the effort to relate to and draw close to our fellow human beings if we have pets?'

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With animals - particularly cars and dogs - that we've lived with for millenia, we obviously bred them for certain characteristics, including big melty eyes and a general wuv you attitude. Nevertheless, when we had a cat, I was struck by how difficult it was to interpret certain behaviour as other than affectionate - like a certain stiff-legged run coupled with excited mewing when you appeared after an absence, or running up your chest and putting her mouth on yours.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sentiment "the more I know about humans, the more I love my dog" is enough to make me suspect that pets have a negative effect on people's empathy. I often wonder whether so much love is squandered on animals that we no longer have enough for one another. But then I realise that I'm probably quite wrong about that and I should have a dog to help me understand. I just can't stand the smell of the creatures, that's the real reason I don't want one in the house.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St John Ambulance runs a therapy dog program in Canada. I have been with the program for about 10 years. Also certified as an assessor. Dogs are some of the nicest people I know. They hold no grudges. Don't mind and even like better smelly people who have spilled on themselves. Watching uncooperative Alzheimers patients follow dogs back to their rooms looks miraculous to me. Children who are frightened for surgery. Students writing univ exams. Me, when I have had a crummy day. At home we also have a cat (used to have 2 cats and 2 dogs), and 24 fish brought in from the pond for winter. Every day I look forward to their hsppinesd to see me. Even goldfish and koi know who their people are.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are times when all that will make me feel better is a good cuddle with the dog. And there are times when I have my hands full with other duties and the dog decides that she wants to be fed NOW and that the appropriate way to let me know is to bark loudly until I put down the three things I was already doing to feed her.

Just to say there is a balance. Dogs are incredible stress relievers, but boy can they change the mood in the house for the worse sometimes.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our 20 year old cat died aa couple of months ago. It was a most painful thing even though we knew was very old and ill.

She spent a lot of time with my late Father (who died a month ago), rather adopting him when he moved in with us 2 years ago. (Waiting by his bedroom in the morning, sitting with him in the greenhouse).

After 55 years I am without a cat and its very strange indeed - you do tend to get used to life where a small furry animal always meets you on your return with an affectionate noise and shows obvious happiness at your return, if even for food.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My life is now dedicated to dogs and I couldn't be happier! (Guide Dog puppy walker, see sig)

When I was a small child I told my Mum I wanted to train dogs for a living when I grew up. She told me there were no such jobs where you could earn enough to support yourself (she was right at the time) so I became a teacher. 40 years later I retired and became a puppy walker - and I am utterly addicted, it's the best 'job' in the world!

Dogs are far better than children, dogs want to please you, children want to please themsleves!

I'm on my second puppy now and I will puppy walk until I can no longer hold a strong dog on a lead, then I will get a small pup - maybe a dachshund.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know of several people who have suffered from depression and had their lives transformed by owning a pet. I think it is the combination of knowing that something else is relying on you for health and wellbeing, together with the unconditional love that a pet animal gives. I would dearly love to have a cat, but no one else in the family likes them; and our current lifestyle wouldn't suit any sort of pet ownership. [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I know of several people who have suffered from depression and had their lives transformed by owning a pet. I think it is the combination of knowing that something else is relying on you for health and wellbeing, together with the unconditional love that a pet animal gives. [Frown]

Having a dog made a huge difference in the life of my late sister, who suffered from depression.

I don't suffer from depression, but having my dog at my side means I wake up every morning with a smile on my face -- and many more smiles throughout the day.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
... Relationship with pet animals is so much easier than relationship with human beings. The question running around my head is 'Are we less likely to bother with making the effort to relate to and draw close to our fellow human beings if we have pets?'

quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
The sentiment "the more I know about humans, the more I love my dog" is enough to make me suspect that pets have a negative effect on people's empathy. I often wonder whether so much love is squandered on animals that we no longer have enough for one another. ...

So is there any evidence e.g. from the social or medical sciences to support the notion that pet owners are less empathetic with humans? Do non-pet owners love people better than pet owners? Or that pet owners have poorer relationships with other humans? My chiropractor and my physiotherapist have dogs, but my doctor does not. Does that mean my doctor cares more about me than they do?

Is this just idle speculation based on negative opinions of pets and their owners? Is it rooted in the Christian contempt for non-human life, even though all living creatures on earth are one big family, all genetically related to one another?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
So is there any evidence e.g. from the social or medical sciences to support the notion that pet owners are less empathetic with humans?

No, but the opposite could well be true.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... Relationship with pet animals is so much easier than relationship with human beings. The question running around my head is 'Are we less likely to bother with making the effort to relate to and draw close to our fellow human beings if we have pets?'

quote:
The sentiment "the more I know about humans, the more I love my dog" is enough to make me suspect that pets have a negative effect on people's empathy. I often wonder whether so much love is squandered on animals that we no longer have enough for one another. ...

So is there any evidence e.g. from the social or medical sciences to support the notion that pet owners are less empathetic with humans? Do non-pet owners love people better than pet owners? Or that pet owners have poorer relationships with other humans? My chiropractor and my physiotherapist have dogs, but my doctor does not. Does that mean my doctor cares more about me than they do?

Is this just idle speculation based on negative opinions of pets and their owners? Is it rooted in the Christian contempt for non-human life, even though all living creatures on earth are one big family, all genetically related to one another?

My understanding is that, whilst not as strong as a causal relationship, how we treat animals is a potential predictor of how we treat other humans; specifically, animal abuse is a potential 'red flag' for violent behaviour (see this article (pdf) for example). Certainly in my dealings with child protection services, poor treatment of animals by adults has flagged up that we need to keep a close eye on how those adults are treating their children. Therefore I think that much more of a cause for concern than 'he loves his dog so much he never checks on his elderly neighbour' should be 'he shouts and bawls at the dog, and isn't much better when he talks to his kids'.

ETA: which is basically the point of Boogie's article too.

[ 20. December 2015, 16:13: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like walking with my dog.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the question if dogs and cats are the same in this regard. There's a saying that dogs were domesticated, cats just moved in.

I'm a non pet owner so I have no dog in this fight. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure I am healthier this year for having to walk my dog. Rain or Shine, Well, or Ill I am out there each morning. I know without the dog I would easily skip a day or more. My life is simply better all around now that I have added a dog to it.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Dogs are far better than children, dogs want to please you, children want to please themsleves!

I'm not sure that a desire to please her master has any bearing on my dog's behavior, or that she is even capable of the mental or emotional capacity to care if she pleases me. She is far more motivated by a desire for food, physical affection, and attention. When we were teaching her not to lunge at other dogs on the leash, we started by distracting her with food. Now, she just knows that if another dog comes along, if she looks over her left shoulder, there will be food, and that the food will go away if she takes any aggressive action towards the other dog. We are using similar techniques to get her to stop other undesirable behaviors. I doubt it has anything to do with her knowing that I don't want her to lunge- if she instinctively wanted to please me, it would be a heck of a lot easier to train her.

On the social effects of having a dog, I will say that I am firmly in the camp of people who trust dog lovers more than non dog lovers. That said, I think that the bond we have with our own pets can definitely make us less sympathetic to other humans. When I was an intern at the district attorneys office, it was well known that people would plead guilty to major felonies before they plead guilty to a dog at large ticket, because the later was somehow perceived as a slight on their relationship with their best friend. And I will also say that parents at public play groups are far more understanding when your kid makes a social faux pas than dog owners at the dog park are when your dog even sniffs their dog in a way they don't like.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my current cat just moved in, despite my already having two, one of which, Sam, died the next day. I told her she killed the wrong one as the surviving cat hated her.

I don't know if I would still be alive if it wasn't for my cats. They offered me 24 hour warmth and comfort after I was raped, something I would not then have been able to accept from a person, however loving they were. Also because of the cats I had to get up and feed them, shop for their food and visit the vet.

By the time the quakes came there were far more people in my life, but Georgie-Porgy was there when we were shaken awake in the wee small hours for the first and biggest quake.

In the long term I don't think having cats has made me less involved with or less loving or compassionate towards people. I think having the cats helped me heal so that I was again able to get involved with people.

I know this is not All Saints, so I hesitated before writing as personally, also I am aware that one anecdote isn't data, however I think that my experience of the positive effects of animals would be supported by the increasing number of therapy animals in hospitals and old people's homes.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our third dog has just died and I miss him, as I still do the other two! But we are both in our 80's, somewhat unable to walk much,and much as I'd like another friendly face and loving licks around, I don't think it is fair on the dog.

Its very sad. [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

So sorry to hear this [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They say cat's choose their 'owners' and this was the case with one of mine. I though he was a stray and let him stay but it turned out he had been adopted from a shelter by a family living across the road. They were happy to let him stay with us and the boys come over and say hello if they see him about.

This is a story about a cat saving someone from a life on the streets. The story has been made into a film to be released next year.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicodemia, have you considered an older dog from a shelter? I prefer older dogs, as they are more calm and settled, just as loving, but content to potter around with you.

I've just lost my very elderly little dog - we think she was nearly 20, she had dementia but was a happy, loving soul who just liked to be with you. The shelters are often very pleased, too, as few people will take on an older dog - they want puppies. I'd be lost without my old dogs

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you're suffering with severe depression, it helps to have someone else present with you - not really doing anything, but just keeping you from being alone - but often humans aren't that good at this particular role. They get bored or frustrated, or they're so worried about you they can't hide it, or they start trying to fix things at a point where you're too ill to fix anything and all you can do is wait things out. Animals, on the other hand, can be absolutely brilliant. A dog resting her head on your lap while you tickle her ears, or a cat quietly snoozing beside you, can make all the difference when the loneliness of depression is crushing you.

In case anyone is worrying about me, I'm currently much better due to my wonderfully effective meds, but I love cats in particular and will have as many around as Mr Liopleurodon (the good influence and sensible kitty-limiter in my life) will allow. At the moment I have two, with plans to get a third in the summer [Smile]

[Votive] for all those mourning their pets. It really does hurt so much when they die.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

It always amuses me how defensive dog lovers become at this kind of suggestion. They protest too much me sometimes thinks.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread should be called Pets and the confirmation bias factor.
I mean this for both the lovers and haters.
If we completely loved animals, we would not keep them as pets. Or would do so much differently.
But if we completely loved people, they would not feel as much need for furry substitutes.
For the haters, go on, feel superior. But unless you make an effort to help people live better lives to fill that need, I'm none too impressed.
I'm not anti-pet, but I'm not quite pro, either.
Pets are a selfish indulgence, often with negative environmental consequence.* Even PETA are hypocritical on this.
I still cry thinking of my last dog, but I will not have another.

Final note before ending this rant: All having a pet tells you about a person is that they have a pet. Doesn't tell you they are good, doesn't tell you they hate people; just tells you they have a pet. Same thing about people who do not have pets.

*Service animals are a different case. Not a perfect one, but different.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Pets. The feel good factor? <title adjustment>

Interesting to read of positives and negatives, always makes for balance in any concept or sphere of debate.

We have a ginger cat very similar to the famous Bob. When our last cat died I did get the animal grief thing, quite intense for a couple days. It's something that seems to activate deeper underlying sadness, not something I advise anyone to dwell on too much.

Of course a world where people loved each other to the point where there was no need to heap spare emotion on a cuddly animal would be a fantastic and wonderful place -- an ideology even, and being such everyone knows it will never be.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
It always amuses me how defensive dog lovers become at this kind of suggestion. They protest too much me sometimes thinks.

What reaction do you normally get when you tell someone they lack empathy and don't have any love left for people?
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wow, a new way of making all my arguments irrefutable!

I must make a note of this ... infallibility awaits!

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

This is something of a 'When did you stop beating your wife?' thing.

If I am defensive it's because I know your suggestion is completely untrue in my experience. If I don't say anything then you will think I have no answer.

Which is not so.

People who have no love for animals and no interest in pets are not unusual but are missing out on a lot, in my view.

People who hurt animals tend to hurt humans/go on to hurt humans too.

People who love animals tend to have empathy for both animals and humans, in my experience.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Humble Servant, do you have any evidence to suggest that pets have a negative effect on people's empathy?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

I'm inclined to wonder if we sometimes invest emotion in animals after having had feelings of *putting out* to people and not getting back. Being wronged in a relationship or marriage would be the obvious example. If it avoids a decent into bitterness then I would thought the effect to be positive on that person and others around that person.
Lack of empathy for people is what it is. There are many complex and varied causes for a trait that doesn't come solely from loving a pet, even if sometimes it is symptomatic of it.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

[brick wall] And what lilBuddha said.

In North America, approximately 1/3 of households have a pet. They can't all be pathological misanthropic loners. People have pets because they like having a pet. Not because they hate people. Not because they've been disappointed by people. Not because they're too lazy to make friends with people. Because they like having a pet.

Frankly, I think you can learn much more about how a person really feels about their fellow human beings by watching how they drive -- distracted? impatient? aggressive? careless? -- instead of speculating about why they have a pet.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I'm inclined to wonder ...

That's all you've got?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
I'm inclined to wonder ...

That's all you've got?
What do you want ?

[ 24. December 2015, 20:09: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having something in common with others is a good thing, especially in a world where community is not as prized as doing something on our phones.

I can talk about our cats with other cat havers.

Just as I can talk about the soccer team I follow with others.

Or talk about God with fellow travellers.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sometimes

This is the key word. The cautionary word. Sometimes, some people. But reading any particular situation is individual to the individual in that particular situation. And so meaningless as a general rule.
--------------
And to the notion that pets are gifted in any sense to sense anything regarding the character of people is equally inane.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

With all these amazing analyses abounding, now I'm wondering why so many little kids beg for pets ... they seem a bit young to be divorced.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Generalizations about pet owners, of which I am one, is as helpful as generalizations about races, religions, etc. etc. etc. I could make a generalization about folks who make generalizations...

Ive had pets since I was a child. Having a pet can teach children responsibility and caring for someone/something other than themselves. I have parrots and dogs and both offer different kinds of companionship, but neither interfere with my relationships with my fellow humans.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With all these amazing analyses abounding, now I'm wondering why so many little kids beg for pets ... they seem a bit young to be divorced.

Pets are provide something new and fun (it seems) that depends upon the kid but isn't a sibling.

No kid thinks of putting little Hamish the Hamster down the toilet at the end of his little hamster life.

And no kid thinks of cleaning out the scat from whatever pet they get.

But every kid who wants a pet thinks of holding it and caring for it.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a theory that some people evolved a strong instinctive connection to animals because it granted an advantage when working with domesticated animals - especially dogs, which appeared about 35,000 years ago. I'm not entirely sure this is long enough for much human evolution to occur, but the idea appeals to me.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stroking a cat can be a stress-buster and thus lower your blood pressure, which would surely increase the feel-good factor.

On the empathy issue, IMO it is better to be able to love an animal than to be unable to love anything. Those people, whoever and however many or few they may be, who retain this ability, retain an aspect of their humanity.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016