homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How Evil Are You?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How Evil Are You?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quiz from the BBC.
I am Infrequently Vile.
This might inform as to the accuracy of the test, depending on how you view the accuracy of that assessment.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shockingly saintly

Do you ever find yourself walking on water? Because you are shockingly saintly. You are a chink of light in a dark world.

Good grief. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not looked at the the quiz yet but from those two judgements I already have little faith in it!

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Infrequently Vile here - obviously I have to try harder on my vileness rating.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moderately nefarious here.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another "Infrequently vile" which is no surprise.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shockingly Saintly. Proof that these sort of quizzes are rubbish.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proof again of the inaccuracy of such quizzes.
I got "infrequently vile".
Everyone knows I was supposed to get "shockingly saintly" [Angel]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still feel evil as I got a while ago by a roman bike and it came down the road. So I have to eat Naproxen to help me

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently Vile. Not sure all of my family would agree with that! Reassuraingly low on the psychopathy - phew!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Infrequently Vile, highest on Macchiavellianism. Most of which is used in <cough> missionary service.*

If they only know what I would have been were I NOT a Christian... [Snigger]

* Mostly when dealing with pompous bureaucrats on behalf of refugees

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sensing a demographic.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And another Infrequently Vile

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently Vile here as well

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed to portray myself as Infrequently Vile, relatively high on Machiavellianism, relatively low on Psychopathy.

Mission accomplished ... [Two face]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently vile for me as well. I prefer the sound of moderately nefarious.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently vile. Mediumly machiavellian and fairly low on narcissism and psychopathy.

Little do they know..... [Two face]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently Vile, rock bottom on the Machiavellian thing but a bit of the narcissistic, psychopath. Why is sex with strangers a bad thing?

I'm just glad it didn't register my building temper tamper over the hard-to-move slider.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Why is sex with strangers a bad thing

Yeah, quite. Want a screw?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As LC pointed out, those of us who have to deal with shit bosses, officious bureaucrats, or The System are probably going to be a bit Machiavellian. Perfectly saintly and humble folk otherwise, but, in the face of The Man...hey, the system's best conquered with patience, fortitude, and a bulldozer.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another "infrequently vile"

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is getting boring - I'm "infrequently vile" as well.

Strange that - I wasn't aware of ever being vile ... [Angel]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

But what demographic?
Just honest enough to register as less than saintly or just devious enough to register higher than thoroughly vile?
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
As LC pointed out, those of us who have to deal with shit bosses, officious bureaucrats, or The System are probably going to be a bit Machiavellian. Perfectly saintly and humble folk otherwise, but, in the face of The Man...hey, the system's best conquered with patience, fortitude, and a bulldozer.

Ah, but if you were perfectly saintly, the bulldozer would never occur to you.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

But what demographic?
Just honest enough to register as less than saintly or just devious enough to register higher than thoroughly vile?

I'm inclined to call it "Shippy" and leave it at that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Infrequently vile, low on psychopathy, higher on Machiavellianism.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shockingly Saintly.

Well, I'm trying to do the right things and work on overcoming my contempt/impatience of people but saintly?

Umm, not so much.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm just glad it didn't register my building temper tamper over the hard-to-move slider.
Oh, good! I thought I was the only one who couldn't move that damn thing! Did you notice it wouldn't let you move the slider in small increments? That seems as though the quiz authors wanted the answers to lack any nuances.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moderately nefarious.....OK?
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

The quiz doesn't imply it necessarily is. However, my suspicion is that the reasoning behind the question is that people who put themselves first are less likely to ask whether a casual hookup is wise for the other person.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
hey, the system's best conquered with patience, fortitude, and a bulldozer.

Ah, but if you were perfectly saintly, the bulldozer would never occur to you.
Have you read about some of the saints? I reckon Bernard of Clairvaux sympathises with the nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure approach.

As the meme has it, If someone asks you What Would Jesus Do, remember that one of the options is overthrowing tables and chasing out the moneychangers with a whip.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

The quiz doesn't imply it necessarily is. However, my suspicion is that the reasoning behind the question is that people who put themselves first are less likely to ask whether a casual hookup is wise for the other person.
I always considered it a kindness.
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently vile, with most of the vileness coming from Machiavellianism rather than Narcissism or Psychopathology. That is a relief to me, though I don't know why.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly disappointed to discover that I am only Infrequently Vile.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
Infrequently vile, with most of the vileness coming from Machiavellianism rather than Narcissism or Psychopathology. That is a relief to me, though I don't know why.

Because you feel it is better to be scheming for other peoples downfall than simply too absorbed to notice, or nursing such a hatred of humankind you don't care who is hurt?

(says the shocking saintly person who is therefore hiding his underlying sociopathology very well)

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

One does wonder about any test that requires self-assessment. True psychopaths think everything they do is justified. "Those people needed killing!" While a tendency to feel a whole lot of guilt over very small things is a common trait among the humble saints. Wonder how St. Augustine would do on this?
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on the sampling of the Ship so far, I suspect Augustine would get an "Infrequently Vile."

I guess the category is named that way because the focus is on evil. "Infrequently vile" pretty much means "Often decent."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
One does wonder about any test that requires self-assessment. True psychopaths think everything they do is justified. "Those people needed killing!" While a tendency to feel a whole lot of guilt over very small things is a common trait among the humble saints. Wonder how St. Augustine would do on this?

I think we also generalise. As a whole, I do try to be kind and generous to others, considering their needs. I do tend to judge most people positively as a starting point.

There are always the exceptions, of course, and for the good of all, these people need to die, slowly, painfully and without hope of mercy. But these are not the ones I am thinking about when filling in a survey - it is the majority.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

See that's just the opposite of how I took the test. If I could think of a single incident of being mean to someone then that was reflected on the test, putting that slider above the middle.

Actually, I think I know this bunch of shippies fairly well and compared with the general population I think you're all pretty saintly. Just think of the angst that came out in a thread we had about guilt over being "rich."

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't mind some of that angst. It would be a pleasant change from the angst of wondering how I'm going to survive financially in ten years' time.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently vile. Today, anyway.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Infrequently vile. Highest on Machiavellianism, which I think is normal for any intelligent person who has spent much time working in bureaucratic systems.

The whole thing is loosely based on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist, which is based on empirical observations of psychopaths (which include the fact that they tend to have a lot of sex with strangers--not that this in itself makes you a psychopath, it might just mean you're extraordinarily attractive and have trouble saying no because you don't want to hurt people's feelings).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by pjl:
Moderately nefarious.....OK?

[Eek!]
How did you get in?!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I answered on behalf of my alter ego and came out as Decidedly Dastardly but scored a bit low on Psychopathy - I'll get even with them for that one!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I answered on behalf of my alter ego and came out as Decidedly Dastardly but scored a bit low on Psychopathy - I'll get even with them for that one!

I don't have alter egos, I have competing egos. I let a different one take the test this time and also got Decidedly Dastardly. Near the top on Machiavellianism and Narcissism and slightly above middle on Psychopathy. If I lie a bit, I can ring the bell on all three.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016