homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » God told me (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God told me
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have been away for a few days. The company was generally OK, however there was one dinner time conversation that went somewhat awry.

One gentleman was rather reminiscent of Chris from Eggheads (who I am sure is actually very nice). However he came over as very arrogant and grumpy. He was also a West Ham fan (make of that what you will, but so was Alf Garnett).

At dinner, he asked a little about what people thought of the EU referendum. I should have known that he just wanted to tell us what to do, but I actually didn't have a chance to say anything.

Please bear in mind that I was on retreat, so not really in a mood for a fight.

He explained that he had received a prophecy in the mid Nineties. It was very clearly saying that we should not be involved in the EU, because it was a corrupt and evil organisation. There was a lot of other Hal Lindsey crap as well. He explained how this had been confirmed (which was meaningless - post-justification of what he wanted to believe).

He said that we should be out of the EU because their legal system was humanist (I am not sure what he things the UK legal system is based on. It is just as bad). And he was on a mission to convince people that God had told him this, so they should vote to leave.

Given the fact he seemed to think Nigel Farage was rather too centrist, I am sure that he really wanted to stay in before God revealed this to him.

He owns a Christian bookshop, which is to my mind a good reason to buy my books online.

Then another member of the dinner group explained that just before the election, He had a word that "God wanted a Right-Wing government".

I am sure that the fact that this goes against the entire tenor of the Bible was irrelevant, because this was a Prophetic Word. That happened to also confirm with his particular viewpoint.

That wasn't a word from God. That was YOUR OWN DESIRES.

I do believe that God can talk to people, that he can give prophetic words to people. But when you head God confirming your own beliefs and ideas, that is more likely to be your own self.

Really, read the fucking bible before you start to claim what God is saying. He has pretty much said it. The God that you are talking about is a vile, manipulative, obnoxious monster, and I want NOTHING to do with him.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boff. I think you're just jealous. [Devil]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's odd. I received a prophesy during the 90s that the UK's only hope of not becoming the spawning ground of the Anti-Christ was to join a federal Europe and become a republic.

We can't both be right.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only guess at the look you gave them. I hope you didn't give them any money.

(Were either of these individuals called Boris, by any chance?)

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time Europe thought god was doing the talking it's citizens set about killing each other in large numbers.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do think Boris is a great person, of course.

I also find it interesting that he has clearly assumed that this word from 20 years ago is unchanged. He has not, apparently, ascertained whether God might want us in Europe now.

No I am not jealous, actually. I do think God talks to me at times, and has been of late. It it not anything like as clear, and it is taking me a long time to see if this is a message from God. It is not a medieval-worded word that I can quote.

And these examples are just blatant cases of people finding God in their arses. But there are many cases where this approach is used to oppress and demean people. "God told me" so often means "You should do this". If you say "Kindly fuck off you arrogant bastard", the response is that "Nothing to do with me, I am just telling you what God says".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I no longer believe that the creator of the universe talks to me inside my head, so I would probably just have advised him to seek psychiatric help.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been said: You know God has spoken to you when he ends up hating the same people you do.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the Republican candidates were told by God to run.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I do believe that God can talk to people, that he can give prophetic words to people. But when you head God confirming your own beliefs and ideas, that is more likely to be your own self.

More likely? Yeah.

Though for a while I was trying to convince people that G-d really, really didn't want us to go into Libya, and I'm not convinced I was wrong.

(OTOH, I was also more likely to frame the argument in terms of how going into Libya was a really bad idea, because a lot of the people I know start looking at you like you have three heads if you start going on too much about G-d.)

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
It has been said: You know God has spoken to you when he ends up hating the same people you do.

I've always heard that as 'you know you've successfully created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do.'

But OK.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the very wise Milton Jones put it: wherever someone begins a sentence with "God says..." they're either about to be very right or very wrong.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:

More likely? Yeah.

Though for a while I was trying to convince people that G-d really, really didn't want us to go into Libya, and I'm not convinced I was wrong.

Now that is fine. It is a conviction that you have formed from a belief, some investigation, and believe that this seems to be something that God wants.

That is a whole different level from saying "God told me that we must not invade Libya, and if you disagree you are wrong because God told me". That is abusive bullshit.

I meant to add that the chap came to the retreat house I was at to go on "Prayer walks". As far as I could tell, these were just what most people would call "A Nice Walk", but I presume that would count as pleasurable, so it has to be a Prayer Walk so it sounds spiritual instead.

In truth, I have known a number of people of his sort before. They have always seemed to me to be unbelievable cranio-rectally inserted. Theirs is a God worthy of real hate.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would dearly love to ask some of those GOP nominees (Jeb, Carson, Santorum) what God is saying about their candidacy these days.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You always have the option of saying, "God just told me he told you no such thing, and he's pissed off that you said he did."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I would dearly love to ask some of those GOP nominees (Jeb, Carson, Santorum) what God is saying about their candidacy these days.

Apparently God never told them they would win, just that they should run. It might just be another indication of God's sense of humor.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God's plan for Europe collapsed with the fall of the Habsburgs. Since then we can do nothing but mark time before the end.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Apparently God never told them they would win, just that they should run. It might just be another indication of God's sense of humor.
Imagine how scary it is to hear God say "Run!"

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about, "God told me you are not my wife , as you did not know how to hear me properly at that time, ". He was also told that this meant he could do what ge liked, and he did.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Well, that's odd. I received a prophesy during the 90s that the UK's only hope of not becoming the spawning ground of the Anti-Christ was to join a federal Europe and become a republic.

We can't both be right.

Unless God is just playing with you both for laughs...
[Devil]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
quote:

As long as He sounds like Christopher Eccleston...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

As long as He sounds like Christopher Eccleston...
Better than to hear Matt Smith say that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
quote:

It's either that or "God wanted me to win, but this Godless nation has once again rejected his chosen path".

When there is always an answer, and you are always right, it sounds much more like fatalism than anything else.

If your "word" comes true, that is Gods choice. If it doesn't, sinful people are thwarting Gods plans. Other people, of course.

Incidentally, this chap wrote a book and made some money out of it, it would seem. So he has done OK (Earthquake in the City, in case anyone is interested, or has read it). Of course he was very reluctant to write the book, and God had to encourage him to do so.

Which, in all honestly, I don't believe. He runs book shops. Of course he wanted his name on a book there. As long as it sold well enough, because success is everything.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And these examples are just blatant cases of people finding God in their arses.

Off to the quotes file......

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual rule of thumb I start out with when people say God spoke to them is largely similar to what a couple of comments here have said: "Does it sound like something that person would have said/done anyway?" If someone's got a long history of Harold Camping impersonations, the next time they say that God's told them the end is nigh, I'm less inclined to believe them.

What gives me the real problem is some the biblical precedents, in particular Abraham & Isaac.

While Abraham may not have been known as a child killer, he passes the 'existing prejudice' test, but proposing that he murder his son is just plain madness. It's often dressed up as faithful obedience, but the whitewashing in the epistle of James imposes on the Genesis narrative a story that just isn't there in the Torah.

If anyone says God told them to take their child up a mountain and kill them, 21st century liberal me would be on the phone to the police as soon as possible. I may be just incredibly thick, but I can't tell what the discriminating factors are between someone who has genuinely been called by God to do something odd, potentially dangerous, and the fuckwits like this guy. I'm inclined to think of a lot of biblical characters as deluded loons who belong in the same bucket.

And no, I don't think hindsight counts as a suitable discerning factor. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Actually, Abraham going to sacrifice his son was probably not as socially heinous then as it would be now. I believe many faiths and communities would engage in child sacrifice of some sort.

If someone said it today, I would call the police and expect them to be put into psychological care.

I suppose my take on the "them or God" is that if their argument is that God is agreeing with them, I am suspicious. If it is that they are having to agree with God, then I might listen. Of course, false humility can make this difficult to determine, but that is why you need to know them better.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:

And these examples are just blatant cases of people finding God in their arses.

Off to the quotes file......
It worked for Balaam...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that period, throughout much of the world, you were perfectly cool killing your children. Romans did it all the time. It did not even have to be a baby (exposed on the hillside), you could off your grown son. It was also okay to kill your wife -- plenty more where those came from. Your slaves were meat puppets. Do anything you want to them -- rape, lending them for sex to all and sundry (remember Leah and Rachel's handmaidens), prostituting them and keeping the cash, starring them in sex shows, cutting off their hair and selling it to wigmakers, impregnating them and then selling the offspring off as slaves -- all cool. Your peers, men and fellow slave owners all, would nod and yawn.
Abraham's faith was not in the possible killing of Isaac. It was that Isaac was the only son on deck, the bearer of the promise of future offspring.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Some even read the story as a rebuke to the common practice of child sacrifice-- i.e. Abraham, following the cultural norm, "hears" God telling him to sacrifice Isaac. But the true "hearing God" comes when he sees the ram and realizes a better way.

But that may be a revisionist reading...

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, my own experience of God is that he's perfectly fine with telling you to do something and allowing you to draw all the wrong conclusions from it, and THEN turning your worldview upside down a bit later with a second instruction.

Looking back, you can see that he never actually told you the things that you assumed as corollaries (e.g. He says, "Go, sacrifice your son" but does not say "He's going to wind up dead"). The first instruction is enough to get you on the path he wants you to take, and if you freak out because you've jumped a conclusion too far, he's okay with that a lot of the time. Which drives me freaking insane.

Of course, you get the second instruction at the right time (which is to say, to make the result come out to whatever God intended all along); you just don't get it early enough to spare your sanity.

God can be extremely annoying. Anybody else and I'd be saying fucking annoying, but I have some inhibition left.

[ 16. March 2016, 14:59: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the gay Muslim Rumi - 'Roman' - said 800 years ago: silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation.

I can testify to that in my recent conversion to pacifism, not by the sword, except that of the Spirit, behind the marred visage of Christ looking mutely back at me in my mind's eye.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
As the gay Muslim Rumi - 'Roman' - said 800 years ago: silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation.

I've just found a new sig. Thanks.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] My senility is such that I was talking wi' t' missus yesterday about being pruned of superstition in my faith, about hanging on to Baby when the bathwater is gone, wondering if it was a postmodern phenomenon and Rumi for one got there 800 years ago.

[ 20. March 2016, 21:28: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
The last time Europe thought god was doing the talking it's citizens set about killing each other in large numbers.

Really? Please explain, I can't think of any large scale killings within Europe that were instigated or even explained/justified by anyone thinking god was talking.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
The usual rule of thumb I start out with when people say God spoke to them is largely similar to what a couple of comments here have said: "Does it sound like something that person would have said/done anyway?" If someone's got a long history of Harold Camping impersonations, the next time they say that God's told them the end is nigh, I'm less inclined to believe them.

What gives me the real problem is some the biblical precedents, in particular Abraham & Isaac.

While Abraham may not have been known as a child killer, he passes the 'existing prejudice' test, but proposing that he murder his son is just plain madness. It's often dressed up as faithful obedience, but the whitewashing in the epistle of James imposes on the Genesis narrative a story that just isn't there in the Torah.

If anyone says God told them to take their child up a mountain and kill them, 21st century liberal me would be on the phone to the police as soon as possible. I may be just incredibly thick, but I can't tell what the discriminating factors are between someone who has genuinely been called by God to do something odd, potentially dangerous, and the fuckwits like this guy. I'm inclined to think of a lot of biblical characters as deluded loons who belong in the same bucket.

And no, I don't think hindsight counts as a suitable discerning factor. [Roll Eyes]

I agree with Rabbi Sacks who says Christians get this story wrong. It is not about Abraham being faithful it is about YHW being totally opposed to human sacrifice. The whole point is that child sacrifice was common amongst the people of Abraham but YHW wanted to show that he didn't want human sacrifices.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or to pull in another religion;
If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him

Probably best not offered as a rebuttal to the person in the original post during the meat course if there are sharp knives.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

I agree with Rabbi Sacks who says Christians get this story wrong. It is not about Abraham being faithful it is about YHW being totally opposed to human sacrifice. The whole point is that child sacrifice was common amongst the people of Abraham but YHW wanted to show that he didn't want human sacrifices.
Similar to what I said upthread... so there are at least some Christians who read it that way.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Really? Please explain, I can't think of any large scale killings within Europe that were instigated or even explained/justified by anyone thinking god was talking.
WW1?

Is it a myth that priests on both sides encouraged young men to fight because it was God's will?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I would have thought the 30 Years War - though admittedly that became less religious and more of a Habsburg/Bourbon slugfest as it went on. But it was extremely devastating.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

http://www.cathar.info/cathar_wars.htm#crusade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Protestant_martyrs_of_the_English_Reformation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholic_martyrs_of_the_English_Reformation

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI, the Nazi ideology had at least a veneer of Christianity. Dunno if anyone actually thought that God was behind it.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, I have been away for a few days. The company was generally OK, however there was one dinner time conversation that went somewhat awry.

One gentleman was rather reminiscent of Chris from Eggheads (who I am sure is actually very nice). However he came over as very arrogant and grumpy. He was also a West Ham fan (make of that what you will, but so was Alf Garnett).

At dinner, he asked a little about what people thought of the EU referendum. I should have known that he just wanted to tell us what to do, but I actually didn't have a chance to say anything.

Please bear in mind that I was on retreat, so not really in a mood for a fight.

He explained that he had received a prophecy in the mid Nineties. It was very clearly saying that we should not be involved in the EU, because it was a corrupt and evil organisation. There was a lot of other Hal Lindsey crap as well. He explained how this had been confirmed (which was meaningless - post-justification of what he wanted to believe).

He said that we should be out of the EU because their legal system was humanist (I am not sure what he things the UK legal system is based on. It is just as bad). And he was on a mission to convince people that God had told him this, so they should vote to leave.

Given the fact he seemed to think Nigel Farage was rather too centrist, I am sure that he really wanted to stay in before God revealed this to him.

He owns a Christian bookshop, which is to my mind a good reason to buy my books online.

Then another member of the dinner group explained that just before the election, He had a word that "God wanted a Right-Wing government".

I am sure that the fact that this goes against the entire tenor of the Bible was irrelevant, because this was a Prophetic Word. That happened to also confirm with his particular viewpoint.

That wasn't a word from God. That was YOUR OWN DESIRES.

Really, read the fucking bible before you start to claim what God is saying. He has pretty much said it. The God that you are talking about is a vile, manipulative, obnoxious monster, and I want NOTHING to do with him.

That's not God. It's the other chap. I try never to judge God by the quality of some of the muppets he's attracted.

I always look suitably innocient at this point then ask them:

a) have they tested "this word of knowledge" against Scripture and which Bible verses do they think support it

and

b) have they discussed it with wiser brothers and sisters

All these are things you're supposed to do with Words. Nine times out of ten, they haven't done that. Because those random thoughts that flow through your heads that chime in with your own ideas and prejudices are obviously from God. Obviously!

Tubbs

[ 21. March 2016, 12:15: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
I try never to judge God by the quality of some of the muppets he's attracted.

Another one for the Quotes file.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The Bible is enough of a ragbag that you can find a text to support nearly anything you contemplate, up to and including murdering Canadians and taking their women.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Bible is enough of a ragbag that you can find a text to support nearly anything you contemplate, up to and including murdering Canadians and taking their women.

True, but then you apply the Love God, Love Your Neighbour test and you can't.

If you love God you wouldn't murder anyone or steal their women as that's two commandments you've broken right there. And if you love your neighbour as yourself, you wouldn't murder them or steal their women either.

You have got away with it if it wasn't for that pesky Jesus. No murdering or women stealing for you!

Tubbs

[ 21. March 2016, 13:50: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This policy moves you away from proof-texting, and over to the spirit of Jesus. Which, for all we know, is a big fan of (nutbar philosophy here). The nice thing about texts is that they are right there, in print. And the loosey-goosey quality can be worked in your favor. You can always find a painful and annoyingly apposite text, right from the mouth of Jesus, about how refugees should the take in and hungry people fed.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
This policy moves you away from proof-texting, and over to the spirit of Jesus. Which, for all we know, is a big fan of (nutbar philosophy here). The nice thing about texts is that they are right there, in print. And the loosey-goosey quality can be worked in your favor. You can always find a painful and annoyingly apposite text, right from the mouth of Jesus, about how refugees should the take in and hungry people fed.

Exactly. On an unrelated topic but to your point, one very conservative evangelical writer was forced to conclude this:

quote:
"Nuanced biblical attacks on American slavery faced rough going precisely because they were nuanced. This position could not simply be read out of any one biblical text; it could not be lifted directly out of the page. Rather, it needed patient reflection on the entirety of the Scriptures; it required expert knowledge of the historical circumstances of ancient Near Eastern and Roman slave systems… and it demanded that sophisticated interpretive practice replace a commonsensical literal approach to the sacred text." -Mark Noll, The Civil War as a Theological Crisis .

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I try never to judge God by the quality of some of the muppets he's attracted.

Another one for the Quotes file.
I feel like I've won the Internet! [Hot and Hormonal]

Tubbs

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
That's not God. It's the other chap. I try never to judge God by the quality of some of the muppets he's attracted.

I always look suitably innocient at this point then ask them:

a) have they tested "this word of knowledge" against Scripture and which Bible verses do they think support it

and

b) have they discussed it with wiser brothers and sisters

All these are things you're supposed to do with Words. Nine times out of ten, they haven't done that. Because those random thoughts that flow through your heads that chime in with your own ideas and prejudices are obviously from God. Obviously!

Tubbs

Yes, the problem is that (as others have said) you can find passages to support almost anything. Look at WBC.

Have they tested it? Well yes, and they have interpreted the testing as confirming their original ideas. They test with other people who agree with them (because any others are obviously in opposition to God).

If I had been in a mood for a fight (I was trying hard not to be combative), I would have told them that their God is a vile loathsome being who I want nothing to do with. And seen where they go from there.

As I posted on twitter last week "If you God thinks I am shit, I want nothing to do with your God. My God thinks I'm awesome". TO me that is all it is about. Their God is a waste of space. Why would I be interested in that being, when I know a God who is far more fun.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me for repeating a story I've told before, but it seems relevant to this Thread.

Some years ago I was helping on a Christina camp for teenagers. At the precamp meeting we'd discussed various practical issues, and were praying for the week ahead. A lad's name came up, one of the regulars, who was widely seen as a Problem because he was unspiritual (and who I found a lot more palatable than many of the spiritual stars who turned up).

One of the other leaders had a vision of a vulture, but before he could give the interpretation I jumped in: "Thus says the Lord. The vulture is my creature; he may look ugly to you but he is perfectly designed to keep the desert free from infection. Do not look on people with the eyes of prejudice, but with the eyes of my love."

An awkward silence followed.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016