homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Riding on a donkey (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Riding on a donkey
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Palm Sunday has just passed. And, I had a random thought that had not occured to me before. Jesus send his disciples ahead to collect a donkey that had never been ridden before.

Now, I've ridden horses a couple of times. Gentle, older horses that had been ridden by lots of different people and were well used to having a novice on their back. But, I'm reliably informed that a horse that has never been ridden before is a completely different animal, and will require a long process of becoming used to having anything on it's back, let alone a person, before it becomes possible for an experienced horse person to ride it for the first time. Are donkeys going to be that different in that regard? Would one expect to be able to just throw some cloaks over an animal and then plonk someone who is only every recorded as walking, except on this occasion, without catastophe ocurring?

So, was the fact that Jesus (who had quite possibly never ridden before) got on the back of a donkey that had never been ridden before and didn't immediately end up sprawled on the floor as the poor animal bolted in terror at this strange event possibly the most remarkable part of this incident?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donkeys are gentler, smaller and less feisty, less strong than horses so riding a donkey that wasn't broken in would, I surmise be easier than an unbroken in horse. A lot of donkeys wouldn't have the size or strength to throw an adult human off their backs. That said, I can't imagine it would be easy to ride a donkey that had never been ridden before, I suspect that they wouldn't respond to instructions to stop/go etc.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently they do need to be trained to tolerate being ridden even though they are more docile than horses.

But if Jesus could calm a storm on the lake . . . .

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd never thought about this. I whether we're meant to tie this in to prophecies about nature becoming not just benign but reverent, such as Isa 43:19-21:

quote:

19 Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
20 The wild beasts will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches; for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people,
21 the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspected there was a bit more going on, given the emphasis the Mark and Luke give to the fact that the donkey the disciples will find has never been ridden. Matthew doesn't bother to mention that fact, and John only has "he found a donkey".

I suppose anyone could have gotten on a donkey to ride into Jerusalem and say "Look at me! I'm humble and gentle, riding a donkey. Just as Zechariah prophecied. I'm the Messiah!". Not everyone would be able to do that on an unbroken donkey who, by rights, should have been giving the rider considerable difficulty (and, hence not giving a particularly good impression for the crowds).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least one passage has the disciples bringing the colt's mother along, which would help calm it and persuade it to walk in the right direction (I'm assuming the mother was led first). Not that this removes the challenge altogether, but it does show, er, good horse sense on Jesus' part.

I'll get my suitable-for-laying-in-the-road garment.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Some depictions of the Triumphal Entry have Jesus riding the donkey, with the colt dutifully following along behind. I would think it much more likely that he rode an adult donkey rather than a colt.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never understood the phrase "colt, the foal of a donkey". A colt is a young horse isn't it?

The Zechariah passage sounds like it might be poetic language referring to just one animal. Mark and Luke refer to only one animal but Matthew to two, and Matthew does make it sound literally true.

So what is going on?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

According to dictionary.com "1. a young male animal of the horse family", and under origin "Old English colt "colt," originally "young ass," ".

So, applying it to a donkey seems OK.

I'd agree that the Zechariah passage reads like standard Hebrew poetry - so one animal, a donkey, specifically a young, male donkey.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alan Cresswell: Jesus (who had quite possibly never ridden before)
Oh, I don't know about that. I'd need to look up how many of the stories of His mother riding a donkey are Biblical (from Nazareth to Bethlehem? to Egypt?) And around Christmas, we established here in Kerygmania that the animals in the 'stable' probably belonged to Joseph's family. I can imagine a young Jesus wanting to go for a ride every once in a while.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
E V Rieu suggests in his translation of the Gospels (Penguin, 1952) that Matthew did not understand the idiom of Hebrew poetry, and so Zechariah’s prophecy ‘riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass’ is read by Matthew as referring to two animals. As Rieu says, Matthew 'narrowly escapes informing us that Jesus sat on both'.

Rieu notes the rarity in religious art of a representation of Matthew’s version of the Entry.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laud-able:
E V Rieu suggests in his translation of the Gospels (Penguin, 1952) that Matthew did not understand the idiom of Hebrew poetry, and so Zechariah’s prophecy ‘riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass’ is read by Matthew as referring to two animals. As Rieu says, Matthew 'narrowly escapes informing us that Jesus sat on both'.

Though there is, I believe, at least one mediaeval representation where he achieves this. In the Hermitage of San Baudelio de Berlanga I seem to recall.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, now I'm imagining Jesus like this.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have long thought that there are 2 elements here. The donkey because it is an animal for the humble while a horse is not. Think for example of the Spanish caballero, through to English cavalier; a knight or noble rides a horse and does not demean himself by riding a donkey. Mary's travelling to Egypt on a donkey is another example of this. Next, an unbroken beast shows Christ's control of the wild as well as the tame.

The 2 donkeys, mother and foal, are more difficult. For a long time, I thought it just the one, repeated. Now far from sure.

[ 22. March 2016, 09:45: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus surely was not riding a very young donkey. If it was young enough to need its mother it was not rideable. Even horses do not get ridden until they're nearly fully grown -- forcing them to bear weight before their skeletons and hooves fully mature shortens their working life and is arguably cruel. And Jesus was a grown man, surely weighing at least 130 lbs. -- a full load for a donkey. They are not big animals. This is why you cross them with horses to get mules, which are larger and sturdier, better for riding.
I like the idea that the Hebrew poetry convention of doubling is in play here. This gets you one male donkey, of rideable age but not yet broken to the saddle. It is well within Jesus's power to tame it. You have seen the poem, from the point of view of this donkey?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
from the point of view of this donkey?

"Some bloke sat on me today. However, we haven't had an earthquake lately".

"After all, one can't complain. I have my friends. Somebody rode on me only yesterday".

"I shall be having lunch directly, and don't want it ridden on just before I begin. A trifling matter, and fussy of me, but we all have our little ways."

(all quotes adapted from A.A. Milne)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, here it is. By G.K. Chesterton.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Brenda Clough is referring to "The Donkey" by G. K. Chesterton. This poem breaks my heart.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I have long thought that there are 2 elements here. The donkey because it is an animal for the humble while a horse is not. Think for example of the Spanish caballero, through to English cavalier; a knight or noble rides a horse and does not demean himself by riding a donkey. Mary's travelling to Egypt on a donkey is another example of this. Next, an unbroken beast shows Christ's control of the wild as well as the tame.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we're ever told in Scripture that Mary rode a donkey to Bethlehem or Egypt. I think it's artists that have told us that.

In the OT, and the Palm Sunday entry is the fulfillment of an OT prophecy, donkeys were ridden by the humble and by royalty alike. The donkey-horse distinction was not, as I understand it, a rich/royal-poor/humble one. It was a war-peace distinction. Horses were for war. Donkeys were beasts of burden and were for travel, even by royalty, in times of peace. Of course, the Romans would have had horses. But the meaning of the donkey, at least in the context of the prophecy, was not humility or humbleness, but that the king came in peace.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are perhaps other listings. I found Donkey references in the bible good perusing on a snowy, cold day today. It made me consider that sometimes perhaps there is symbolism and other times maybe not.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Palm Sunday has just passed. And, I had a random thought that had not occured to me before. Jesus send his disciples ahead to collect a donkey that had never been ridden before.

<snip>

So, was the fact that Jesus (who had quite possibly never ridden before) got on the back of a donkey that had never been ridden before and didn't immediately end up sprawled on the floor as the poor animal bolted in terror at this strange event possibly the most remarkable part of this incident?

It should be noted that "never been ridden before" is not the same has "never had to bear a burden before". A donkey previously used exclusively as a pack animal has technically never been "ridden" before.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It made me consider that sometimes perhaps there is symbolism and other times maybe not.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."--Sigmund Freud (apocryphal)

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nick Tamen, you are of course right about the absence of any biblical reference to Mary's riding on a donkey - but it has a long tradition behind it.

As for the donkey vs horse analogy, I have very little Greek and no Hebrew. In all the Romance languages, starting with Latin, riding of horses for other than farmwork is associated with the wealthy. The link starts with the equites, the knightly class in Rome, obviously linked to equus.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
In all the Romance languages, starting with Latin, riding of horses for other than farmwork is associated with the wealthy. The link starts with the equites, the knightly class in Rome, obviously linked to equus.

You could take it back even further to the Greek hippeis (from hippus), which were an earlier equivalent of the Roman equites.

@#*% hippeis!

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Crœsos: @#*% hippeis!
[Killing me]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Gee D, I think that is all correct. I think it's likely that horses have always been associated with wealth and power. My understanding, though, is that in the ancient Near East, donkeys (and mules) were not similarly associated with the non-wealthy. As I understand it—and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong—donkeys and mules were used by everyone, rich and poor. So while a horse might rightly be associated with a king, donkeys and mules were not just associated with the common folk. Everyone traveled on donkeys or mules. Kings and others with power, particularly in the context of war, at times used horses in addition to donkeys and mules, not instead of.

For example, in 1 Kings 1:32–39 , when David sends for Solomon so that Solomon can be anointed King, David sends his own mule for Solomon to ride in on. See also 16 Samuel 16:1–2, where donkeys are provided for David's household to ride.

That the significance of the donkey in the Palm Sunday event is peace seems to be supported by the prophecy (Zachariah 9:9–10):
quote:
Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion!
               Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem!
          Lo, your king comes to you;
               triumphant and victorious is he,
          humble and riding on a donkey,
               on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
He will cut off the chariot from Ephraim
               and the war-horse from Jerusalem;
           and the battle bow shall be cut off,
               and he shall command peace to the nations;
           his dominion shall be from sea to sea,
               and from the River to the ends of the earth.

[ 22. March 2016, 21:32: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

I should have added that the Zachariah prophecy does, of course, also speak to humbleness.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And contrast that verse from Zechariah with how Matthew quotes it (Matt. 21:5):
quote:
‘Tell the daughter of Zion,
Look, your king is coming to you,
humble, and mounted on a donkey,
and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’

Matt has slipped that pesky *and* in there. And because he uses the Zechariah verse as the basis for his narration of the Palm Sunday story, when Matthew describes Jesus' instructions to the disciples in 21:1-4, he tells them to get two animals.

I always assumed that Matt was just relying on memory and that is how he made the mistake. However, re-reading Borg and Crossan's The Last Week, (which I try to do in Holy Week), I find an interesting footnote to the Palm Sunday essay:
quote:
In a minor way that produces an almost comic result, the author of Matthew misunderstands the passage from Zechariah (perhaps because he was using the Greek version of the Hebrew Bible, the Septuagint).
Could that be it? Could any of you familiar with the LXX comment on that?

Also, while I'm speculating on all this ... I wonder if the emphasis on a young donkey that had not been ridden was an attempt to make the donkey more -- I don't know, special? That this wasn't some nag the disciples picked up at the used-donkey lot. It was a dedicated donkey. for lack of a better word. Set apart somehow.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always have a donkey in our Palm Sunday procession. It is so docile that anyone could ride it, even though it doesn't usually get ridden.

One point is that Jesus is likely to have not been a large heavy individual, since people in those days were not generally that big.

Another point is that these animals were ubiquitous in Israel and it is impossible to imagine that anyone would be unfamiliar with how to handle them.

A third point is the curious one that David, Solomon, and other kings announced their kingship by riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. It seems to have been a well understood symbol, even though it could not have been unusual for people to ride donkeys.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
And contrast that verse from Zechariah with how Matthew quotes it (Matt. 21:5):
quote:
‘Tell the daughter of Zion,
Look, your king is coming to you,
humble, and mounted on a donkey,
and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’

Matt has slipped that pesky *and* in there. And because he uses the Zechariah verse as the basis for his narration of the Palm Sunday story, when Matthew describes Jesus' instructions to the disciples in 21:1-4, he tells them to get two animals.
bleurgfhhhhh! Okay, let's talk about "kai". This is the Greek word for "and," but it's got more range than that. It can also be translated as "even" (which is sort of archaic-sounding), "a donkey, even a colt..." In modern English that would probably be "a donkey, that is, a colt...."

While ordinary English "and" works fine most of the time, there are spots here and there where "kai" is better translated as a clarifier like "that is." Or so I remember.

Hebrew "ve", which lies behind the "kai" in the Zechariah passage, is similarly more slippery than English "and." Sometimes it shows up for no other purpose apparently than to tell you that this line is yet another continuation of the same poetry or narrative. Thus all the "and he went, / and he did such-and-such, /and he said, ... and so forth all over the OT. It's there to connect the narrative together, and to ... er.... this is totally not the right place to get into tenses and the semi-lack of them in Hebrew, but it often has to do with indicating a ... shall we call it a tense-like function? [slinks away under the table]

tl;dr version: Don't build any theories on the presence of a slippery "kai"/"ve" in this passage. If you do, you're probably wrong. It isn't an English "and" in all its reassuring solidity. It just isn't.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the rest of Matthew's account seems very clear that there were two animals and doesn't rest on a single "and". For instance "with her colt by her".

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

No, of course I agree there were two animals in the Matthew account. (And given my position on the Scriptures, in reality too.)

All I'm doing is giving linguistic reasons why it isn't correct to say "Matthew misunderstood the Zechariah passage as we can see from his misquotation adding the 'and'." (And from that point go on to suggest that he added an animal to the story, rather than there actually being two in the event itself.)

Matthew's quote does not show a misunderstanding of Zechariah. Throwing in a "kai" in that position does not change the Zech. passage to make it about two animals. Adding an English "and" would. But not a Greek "kai". So the problem lies with the English translator, not Matthew.

I don't think the Zech passage describes two animals. I don't think Matthew thought it did either. After all, his is the most Jewish of the Gospels--for Matthew to misunderstand OT parallelism is seriously out of character.

If Matthew nevertheless reports two animals at the event (and he does), he does so because that's what happened--not because of some alleged misunderstanding which led him to falsify events.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
I'd never thought about this. I whether we're meant to tie this in to prophecies about nature becoming not just benign but reverent, such as Isa 43:19-21:

quote:

19 Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
20 The wild beasts will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches; for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people,
21 the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.

This is certainly how I read it. An untrained beast suddenly taking a rider, not spooking at the crowds closing in and the hangers-on following behind?

And then I spent some time working on a ranch that had some burros...and figured out that the crowds would be the least of anyone's problems.

Sooooo we really weren't supposed to ride the burros. They were pack animals, companions for the horses and cows, protect the herd (horses run from danger, donkeys fight back), that kind of thing. Of course we did anyway.

Older, more sedate animals? Sure, no huge problem, assuming you can catch one and hop on before they get wise to what you're doing and run off before you get your leg over. They're not always too happy about it, they'll charge fences and turn at the last minute to get you to jump off, but they'll take a rider.

The burritos? The young animals being broken to the pack? Hoooboy. I lost the video I had (it was really NSFW anyway), but, even with a pack saddle and harness, they're nearly unrideable, and don't take anything remotely resembling direction.

Well, unless where you want to go is straight through a juniper tree, sprint at the fence, and finally get bucked off while you hang on for dear life.

So yes, there's the passage Adam. referenced above. There's also the idea of a Restored Eden, of the Fall reversed, Christ like Adam having dominion over the beasts, the one who will give us all rebirth like the one who gave us all our first birth.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariston: I lost the video I had (it was really NSFW anyway
Because it involved a lot of swearing, or because you lost a bit of clothing falling off them?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Killing me] What a loss to the world that video was.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Ariston: I lost the video I had (it was really NSFW anyway
Because it involved a lot of swearing, or because you lost a bit of clothing falling off them?
I was shooting the video, and the only thing lost was a hat...but Words Were Used. Many, many words, and in short order.

[ 23. March 2016, 12:31: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having a thought after reading the recent posts.

Was Jesus perhaps was the original horse/donkey whisperer?

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Freddy:

quote:
A third point is the curious one that David, Solomon, and other kings announced their kingship by riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. It seems to have been a well understood symbol, even though it could not have been unusual for people to ride donkeys.
An explanation I once heard for this is that in David's time, the late Bronze Age, nobody in the Middle East knew how to ride a horse. Horses were only used to pull chariots. Horses and chariots were expensive and difficult to control and therefore used only for war and, in the Mesopotamian empires, for kings to go hunting. Horses are much larger and stronger than donkeys and riding them required the development of new technology. As far as I can remember, the critical technological development was the bit. Apparently donkeys were successfully controlled by a rider using a rope muzzle rather than a bit in the mouth, but this wouldn't work for a horse.

The result of this was that David only ever rode a donkey or a mule (the king's mules are mentioned quite often in 1 Kings). There seems to have been a continuing tradition in Judah of the Davidic king riding a donkey. A bit like the queen of England riding around in a great, unwieldy horse-drawn coach on state occasions. It's out of date and not very practical but it's also traditional, picturesque and conveys a sense of her entitlement to be the monarch.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Croesus Hippos is something I should have picked up, that being one of the little Greek I have.

I don't see the entry by kings into Jerusalem riding a donkey by various kings as inconsistent with this. They are showing themselves as humble servants of the people they are going to rule.

[ 23. March 2016, 19:37: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
An explanation I once heard for this is that in David's time, the late Bronze Age, nobody in the Middle East knew how to ride a horse. Horses were only used to pull chariots. Horses and chariots were expensive and difficult to control and therefore used only for war and, in the Mesopotamian empires, for kings to go hunting. Horses are much larger and stronger than donkeys and riding them required the development of new technology. As far as I can remember, the critical technological development was the bit. Apparently donkeys were successfully controlled by a rider using a rope muzzle rather than a bit in the mouth, but this wouldn't work for a horse.

Interesting thought!

Native Americans seemed to have picked it up easily enough in the fifteenth century. I wonder if the Mongol hordes had bits.

Wikipedia has a fair amount of information about this kind of thing.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

That Wiki page certainly suggests that horses were ridden long before the time of David, possibly even predating the use of chariots, and that a bit is not needed (though, presumably, makes controlling the horse much easier). I always thought the use of chariots wasn't because people couldn't ride horses, or even fight from horse back, but that a chariot allowed one man to drive giving a relatively stable platform for one or more other warriors to fight from using bows, spears and other weapons.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is not very easy ti fight from horseback until you have stirrups -- certainly you can't charge with a lance without some way of affixing yourself to your mount. In Homer the heroes would take their chariots to the fields of Troy, and then get out to fight. To fight from either horseback or chariot, calls for considerable training and practice. It would be very easy to fall off and brain yourself.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think there are a few options here. First, perhaps, that the unridden donkey is supposed to show something of Christ's majesty and authority in that he can calm an animal. That seems to me to be an odd thing to be attempting in this passage - surely that would be better done by describing it wild and running about, foaming at the mouth and then the Lord would walk up to it and instantly calm it.

Second, I think, it is supposed to be emphasising the deliberate humility of the journey to Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. To me, the donkey sounds old and sounds like a worn out pack or farm animal, one so placid/sick that it is basically a few steps from the grave.

So when the disciples come and ask for it, the owner is looking at them quizzically "what.. really..? That old thing? What's he doing this master of yours, ploughing a very small field?

I'm sure I've been very influenced by my recent reading of Don Quixote, but I'm imagining Sancho Panza and his beloved moth-eaten donkey/mule/ass/thingy.

--------------------
arse

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

One point is that Jesus is likely to have not been a large heavy individual, since people in those days were not generally that big.

Sorry, I didn't want to let this pass without comment. It is a fallacy that people in the ancient (or any time pre-modern) world were necessarily shorter than now (thinner, maybe!). Height is determined by several things, including good nutrition and heredity.

People sometimes quote a published study of bones indicating an average 1st century height of 5'1", but other excavations have shown skeletons of up to 6'. Height varied then as it does now. The Museum of London's and other studies give an average height of around 5'9" for male Saxon Londoners - not very much different from now. In contrast, Victorian male average height is given as around 5'5", because of poor living conditions and nutrition.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently there was a fairly regularly repeated mediaeval myth that Jesus Christ was a dwarf or a hunchback.

Which sounds totally made up to me. But is also a rather beautiful idea to reflect upon at Easter.

--------------------
arse

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's supposedly from a passage in Josephus, but isn't...

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Second, I think, it is supposed to be emphasising the deliberate humility of the journey to Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. To me, the donkey sounds old and sounds like a worn out pack or farm animal, one so placid/sick that it is basically a few steps from the grave.

So when the disciples come and ask for it, the owner is looking at them quizzically "what.. really..? That old thing? What's he doing this master of yours, ploughing a very small field?

I'm sure I've been very influenced by my recent reading of Don Quixote, but I'm imagining Sancho Panza and his beloved moth-eaten donkey/mule/ass/thingy.

And here I was, thinking it was referred to as a "colt." A young animal, spirited, untamed.

All the talk in the passage about it being an unridden colt kinda reminds me of the Levitical sacrifice laws and their specifications on what animals were acceptable for offering to the Lord—unblemished, young but of a certain age, etc. I wonder if there aren't a few sacrificial overtones, what with the whole "the Lord has need of it" bit.

*Also, really, that line worked? "The Lord has need of it?" So if I walked up to some random car or truck on the street that had its engine running and the owner comes out, I should just say "oh, the Lord has need of it," and they'll be cool with me driving off with it and loaning it to my buds for the upcoming parade? Sure, they might see it on the evening newscast, but really? Grand Theft Burro, and everybody's cool with it?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Dorothy Sayers, inveterate mystery writer, uses this neatly in her radio play series The Man Born to be King. The Jewish revolutionary partisans are hoping Jesus is the military messiah who will lead the armed takeover of Rome. So they ask him to declare himself when he comes into Jerusalem. There are two beasts, a warhorse and a donkey -- war, and peace. Jesus has to select one.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
It is a fallacy that people in the ancient (or any time pre-modern) world were necessarily shorter than now (thinner, maybe!)... People sometimes quote a published study of bones indicating an average 1st century height of 5'1", but other excavations have shown skeletons of up to 6'. Height varied then as it does now.

Thanks for that. Yes, it is easy to find the number you quote. For example:
quote:
the average build of a Semite male at the time of Jesus was 5 ft. 1 in., with an average weight of about 110 pounds
So that's what I was thinking. But I'm sure you are right that heights and weights varied then as they always have.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
*Also, really, that line worked? "The Lord has need of it?" So if I walked up to some random car or truck on the street that had its engine running and the owner comes out, I should just say "oh, the Lord has need of it," and they'll be cool with me driving off with it and loaning it to my buds for the upcoming parade? Sure, they might see it on the evening newscast, but really? Grand Theft Burro, and everybody's cool with it?

The whole passage has a contrived feel to it. As though Jesus has already arranged things and kept the 12 out of the loop. The same happens in Mark's account of the Last Supper - "go into Jerusalem and follow the man carrying a jar of water on his head".

Someone practical, probably one of the women in the group, has come up to him and said "Lord, we're heading to Jerusalem, where do you want to celebrate Passover? You know there won't be anywhere if we don't get it arranged soon." Jesus then responds, "You're right. Get yourself into Jerusalem and find a suitable place for us. And, let's just muck around with the disciples a bit. Arrange for a strange signal, a man carrying a water jar for instance, to lead them to a miraculously prepared room. It's going to be a hard week, I could do with laughing at them try to get their heads around that one."

"Oh, and while you're at it, find a donkey and colt and leave them at the village by the Mount of Olives. Just let the folk there know two of the disciples will be along saying 'The Lord needs it' so no one worries too much about it when I get them collected".

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016