homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pope at the UN

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pope at the UN
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it open season on religious leaders to address the UN - or is it just the Holy See that can do that (even though it actually has Observer rather than Full member status)?

Could/can the Dalai Lama, a proposed Muslim Caliph, etc do this? Should they?

--------------------
arse

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is he there as Bishop of Rome or as the Head of State of the Vatican?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good question. I assume as Head of State of the Holy See.

--------------------
arse

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Is it open season on religious leaders to address the UN - or is it just the Holy See that can do that (even though it actually has Observer rather than Full member status)?

Could/can the Dalai Lama, a proposed Muslim Caliph, etc do this? Should they?

Obviously not, as he's been the only one to do so. In any case, lots of folks have addressed the General Assembly, including senior UN staff, and various Nobel prize winners.

As far as the Dalai Lama is concerned, the likelihood of his appearance is nil, and any suggestion would certainly be vetoed by the People's Republic. As there is no Caliph around so we'll see what happens when one arises (the Ottoman claimant hasn't claimed his throne, let alone its religious role) although I suppose that King Salman could wear his cap as Guardian of the Holy Places.

The Aga Khan also carries a role as a religious authority, but his juridicial status provides much room for discussion (the Aga Khan case of 1866). Although France accords him semi-sovereign status, he travels with a UK passport (and is also a Canadian citizen).

Anglican primates can rest assured that their crowded timetables, all slotted for power-point presentation review and redrafting meeting agendas, will not be put under pressure by repeated invitations to address the General Assembly.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not the first time that a pope has addressed the UN Assembly. Certainly Pope Paul VI
was invited to do so many, many years ago.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
This is not the first time that a pope has addressed the UN Assembly. Certainly Pope Paul VI

Thank you for the correction-- I should have been clearer in that I was referring to current figures. J2P2 also addressed the Assembly, no?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

According to a Trivial Pursuit question I remember, he did in fact address the Assembly, in French. Which would not have been that unusual in those days, given that it was the lingua france of diplomacy.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Pope's address (edited as indicated by the asterisks to get to the relevant parts):

quote:
Once again, following a tradition by which I feel honored, the Secretary General of the United Nations has invited the Pope to address this distinguished assembly of nations.

This is the fifth time that a Pope has visited the United Nations. I follow in the footsteps of my predecessors Paul VI, in 1965, John Paul II, in 1979 and 1995, and my most recent predecessor, now Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, in 2008.

So the Pope is going as an invited guest speaker, not as the "Head of State of the Holy See." As Augustine the Aleut mentioned, lots of different people have been invited to address the UN.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry! I should have provided a link to the full text of his speech. So you don't have to trust that I cut-and-pasted appropriately! [Smile]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016