homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is appropriate language on this website.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What is appropriate language on this website.
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was given this response by someone who had objected to what I had contributed:

Just to be clear: that's a fucking bullshit answer. On the thread in Purgatory, various people have expressed that the word 'relevant' can mean many things in the context of the question you raised. You opened a thread asking a question, people engage with your question and all you do is make long quotes and answer with "it's as per any competent dictionary".

This is disrespectful towards people who accepted your invitation to have a discussion with you. We know very well what the dictionary says thankyouverymuch; pointing us towards it in this way comes over as very patronising. We also know that words can take on different meanings when applied to different situations. You are obviously too dumb to get that.

If you don't think that discussing the meaning of 'relevance' in a situation of declining numbers of church attendance is worth your while, then you're not fit to open a topic that contains the word relevance. Get the fuck out of here, arsehole.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The appropriate language is English.

If the board is Hell, then that may or may not include some Anglo-Saxon. May I draw your attention to the board's rubric, which state:

quote:
our normal rules on civility are abandoned on this board.
You're posting in Hell. If you require further guidance, I suggest purchasing a Clue-Bat™ from your usual vendor.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is also appropriate to use UBB coding, in particular to identify your words from the words of others you are quoting. Otherwise one might conclude that a) you're talking to yourself, and b) calling yourself "too dumb" and "arsehole"

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think 'fuck', 'bullshit', 'dumb' and 'arsehole' are perfectly fine Anglo-Saxon words. At least they are Germanic in origin. I'd need to talk with a couple of Frisian friends.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I think 'fuck', 'bullshit', 'dumb' and 'arsehole' are perfectly fine Anglo-Saxon words. At least they are Germanic in origin. I'd need to talk with a couple of Frisian friends.

Perhaps you should sign yourself as Arsehole.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Frankenstein: Perhaps you should sign yourself as Arsehole.
Ooh! How did that make you feel?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:
I was given this response by someone who had objected to what I had contributed:

Just to be clear: that's a fucking bullshit answer. On the thread in Purgatory, various people have expressed that the word 'relevant' can mean many things in the context of the question you raised. You opened a thread asking a question, people engage with your question and all you do is make long quotes and answer with "it's as per any competent dictionary".

This is disrespectful towards people who accepted your invitation to have a discussion with you. We know very well what the dictionary says thankyouverymuch; pointing us towards it in this way comes over as very patronising. We also know that words can take on different meanings when applied to different situations. You are obviously too dumb to get that.

If you don't think that discussing the meaning of 'relevance' in a situation of declining numbers of church attendance is worth your while, then you're not fit to open a topic that contains the word relevance. Get the fuck out of here, arsehole.

I am told that I am disrespectful.
Then I am told:
"Get the fuck out of here, arsehole"

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Frankenstein: I am told that I am disrespectful.
Then I am told:
"Get the fuck out of here, arsehole"

I'm glad that this got through to you.

Sit back a bit, because this is going to be difficult for you.

I told you that you were being disrespectful in your posts on the Purgatory board of Ship of Fools. That is our space for serious debate, where some form of respect for other posters is required.

I reacted by being disrespectful on the Hell board of Ship of Fools, where being so is completely acceptable; expected even. I can assure you that any disrespect you may perceive as coming from me here is entirely intentional.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a traceable etymology for 'fuck' before the 16th century. If you want to raise eyebrows at medievalist get-togethers, you could get a T-shirt saying 'Motherswiver'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I remember rightly, it is perfectly permissable to use strong, even what might be considered 'bad', language in Purgatory. For example, you can write 'that's a bullshit answer'. But you can't say 'you are a bullshitter', as that's a personal attack, rather than a comment on the argument. Hell, however, is almost no holds barred. Which is why folks who want to take a poster to task on a level outside of the argument will 'take it to Hell'. So as to keep the ad hominem aggression out of Purgatory.

Well, we can but hope [Big Grin] !

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[HOSTING]
This is NOT Hell. You will avoid personal insults here or you will face my slight irritation. Any further infractions of decorum will be dealt with without any more warnings.

Are we clear?

Good.

[/HOSTING]

That being said, let me point out that swear words are perfectly fucking fine everywhere - what we look to contain in Hell are personal conflicts. As such, conversations that are disrespectful - even with out various curse words - should be taken to Hell.

Hope that helps.

-RooK
Motherfucking Styx Host

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Frankenstein:

The appropriate use of language is communication. I suggest you master that before complaining about specific usage.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
RooK: This is NOT Hell.
Er … do you need help finding your glasses?

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As this is Ship's business and I happened to be passing, I've moved it to the Styx. Then RooK's warning is fine and dandy.

Tubbs

[ 15. March 2016, 15:47: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016