homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Limbo.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hell: Kill the wabbit (Page 1)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Kill the wabbit
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every year the remembrance of the Passion and Death of our Lord, and the celebration of his glorious Resurrection is spoiled by the appearance of the Easter Bunny. [Mad] What has this over-sized Lagomorpha distributing eggs, eggs of all things, got to do with Easter. Bugger all, says I.

And, so it seems entirely appropriate to screen a movie in which dozens of the hoppity-hoppity vermin are mercilessly killed in graphic detail on Easter Sunday afternoon. And, if parents let their children watch a classic film that is known to upset some adults WTF are they then complaining to the broadcaster about? If you think your tender little darlings are going to be upset at an animated movie showing rabbits screaming in terror and being killed don't let them watch it. There are millions of TV channels to choose from, streaming movies, DVDs. You don't need to set them down in front of a movie that upsets them. What sort of idiots are you?

[ 15. August 2016, 06:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just read an update by one of your countrywomen griping about the same.

Good Lord, you're right-- that movie is intense even for adults.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But it was on Channel 5. Nobody actually watches Channel 5 so why the fuss?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What movie is this?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is the whole channel thing about, anyway? If I'm gonna be outraged, I need to know the specifics.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What movie is this?

Watership Down. Some genius at the Beeb thought this was fantastic Easter Sunday programming. Because bunnies. [Snigger]

The idiot pie is so big here it's hard to decide who gets the first slice.

[ 28. March 2016, 14:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What movie is this?

Watership Down. One of my favourite movies as a child.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
What movie is this?

Watership Down. Some genius at the Beeb thought this was fantastic Easter Sunday programming. Because bunnies. [Snigger]

The idiot pie is so big here it's hard to decide who gets the first slice.

Not the BBC if it was on Channel 5 ! Channel 5 is an independent channel and not part of the BBC at all.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Which is why I really want to understand the channel thing.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was taught that book(with attendant screening of the film) in Grade 10 English by a teacher who was an animal-rights supporter from Manchester, England. Oddly enough, she thought it a suitable book to teach high-schoolers, even while she expressed(mild) disapproval at the teaching of Lord Of The Flies and Julius Caeser, on the grounds that they were excessively violent.

[ 28. March 2016, 15:08: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Watership Down. One of my favourite movies as a child.

I never saw the film - but the book is excellent.

I named my rabbit after one of the main characters 'Silver'.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The book was awesome-- if they are going to teach LOTR, there is no reason not to teach that.

The movie was ok, but it went incredibly dark in places. There is one pretty graphic scene which shows rabbits trying to escape a gas bomb that has been tossed in their warren, only to discover the exits have been blocked.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to see it when it first came out. There was a T shirt slogan around at the time: 'Watership Down- You've seen the book, you've read the film- now eat the pie'.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently there was a pub called the Watership Down close to the site of the story. The Menu board behind the bar read
" You've read the book, you've seen the film . Now try the pie."

This thread is making me hungry!

Bastard Albertus!

[ 28. March 2016, 15:14: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great minds think alike, eh?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The book was awesome-- if they are going to teach LOTR, there is no reason not to teach that.

The movie was ok, but it went incredibly dark in places. There is one pretty graphic scene which shows rabbits trying to escape a gas bomb that has been tossed in their warren, only to discover the exits have been blocked.

Ab irony here might be that Richard Adams and his fellow activists campaigned, essentially, to get people thinking about animals with the same regard that they do humans. And that's pretty much what the complaining parents did, ie. react to the movie as if it were people being slaughtered.

[ 28. March 2016, 15:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Went to see it when it first came out. There was a T shirt slogan around at the time: 'Watership Down- You've seen the book, you've read the film- now eat the pie'.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Great minds think alike, eh?

I see I was the third to add the pie quote, so I've deleted it.

The book is good but it isn't a children's book. The film isn't bad if you don't mind animations (I find most cartoons tiresome). Adams is a good author, and I went on to read "Maia" and "Shardik" although I didn't care much for the latter.

However in answer to Alan, he's missing the point. Easter is a festival of chocolate, preceded by Lent, where you give up chocolate for the duration and look forward to bingeing at Easter. The Easter Bunny lays chocolate eggs in the garden (or around the house or on people's desks). You can't have Easter without this.

Old people also usually have roast lamb for lunch on Easter Sunday. Nobody knows why and the old people aren't saying.

And Easter cards are well on the way to dying out. I only got one this year and it wasn't specifically an Easter one.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Which is why I really want to understand the channel thing.

There isn't a whole lot to understand.

First there was only the BBC, the arms-length government-owned broadcaster - who eventually had two channels BBC1 and BBC2. Then there was Independent Television (ITV) and then there was a hybrid public-private broadcaster called Channel4.

Then, some time later, there was Channel 5.

ITV and BBC1 are the mass entertainment channels, BBC2 is/was intended to show more nuanced stuff (so tends to have more documentaries etc) and Channel4 had more of a youthful, experimental feel than the other channels.

Channel 5 mostly broadcasts shit. Reruns, Big Brother, old Australian soaps, stupid gameshows and that kind of thing. The kind of thing you watch when there is nothing else on.

Of course, the whole broadcasting environment in the UK is much more complicated today than when there were only 3 then 4 then 5 terrestrial channels - what with satellite, cable etc.

But C5 is still shite. So complaining about it is like complaining that some US (or other country) TV channel which only shows reruns nobody consciously/soberly watches is showing some crap on a vaguely inappropriate day.

--------------------
arse

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And, so it seems entirely appropriate to screen a movie in which dozens of the hoppity-hoppity vermin are mercilessly killed in graphic detail on Easter Sunday afternoon. And, if parents let their children watch a classic film that is known to upset some adults WTF are they then complaining to the broadcaster about? If you think your tender little darlings are going to be upset at an animated movie showing rabbits screaming in terror and being killed don't let them watch it. There are millions of TV channels to choose from, streaming movies, DVDs. You don't need to set them down in front of a movie that upsets them. What sort of idiots are you?

As I said this morning to a friend on A Popular Social Media Site, if anyone knows anything at all about the film of Watership Down, it's that it's the Texas Chainsaw Massacre of cute bunny movies.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]
Seen the book, read the film- what was I thinking of?
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
[QUOTE] The Easter Bunny lays chocolate eggs in the garden ...

I've seen the chocolate eggs that bunnies lay in the garden- mostly small and very round ones. You really wouldn't want to eat them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]
Seen the book, read the film- what was I thinking of?
Anyway, I prefer stew. Wi' chips and bread.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
As I said this morning to a friend on A Popular Social Media Site, if anyone knows anything at all about the film of Watership Down, it's that it's the Texas Chainsaw Massacre of cute bunny movies.

Bingo.
Cheesy-- so if they ran it in BBC2, everyone would have been cool with it?

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Bingo.

Yes. BBC2, it would have been Ironic. Channel 4, it would have had a lesbian subtext. Channel 5 is strictly for viewers who like laughing at the poor and disadvantaged.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's "now eat the cast!" Not "now eat the pie!"

Come on people! This is Biff Tannen level!

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've seen the chocolate eggs that bunnies lay in the garden- mostly small and very round ones. You really wouldn't want to eat them.

My dogs would beg to differ ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Old people also usually have roast lamb for lunch on Easter Sunday. Nobody knows why and the old people aren't saying.

Doesn't it tie in with Passover?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

However in answer to Alan, he's missing the point. Easter is a festival of chocolate, preceded by Lent, where you give up chocolate for the duration and look forward to bingeing at Easter. The Easter Bunny lays chocolate eggs in the garden (or around the house or on people's desks). You can't have Easter without this.

In this country they don't only have chocolate Easter eggs, they have chocolate Easter bunnies too. So the whole notion of killing, dissecting and eating bunnies for Easter is entirely unproblematic and children learn to do it at a very young age.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I was taught that book(with attendant screening of the film) in Grade 10 English

We read Watership Down at school, as did I expect every other British child of about my age. I remember writing essays on it in an exercise book, which means we were probably 11 or 12 at the time - certainly no older. We were 13 when we read Lord of the Flies.

And yes, we saw the film, and it has upsetting parts, and it's supposed to. It's not inappropriate for that age, but I certainly wouldn't watch it (or read the book) with younger children.

And if parents think "here's an animated movie about rabbits, so it's going to be fluffy bunny Disney schmaltz" then they would have got a nasty surprise, but I'm a little surprised that it's possible to get to adulthood in the UK without reading that book at school. Maybe it's not so popular these days.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
quote:

Bingo.

Yes. BBC2, it would have been Ironic. Channel 4, it would have had a lesbian subtext. Channel 5 is strictly for viewers who like laughing at the poor and disadvantaged.
Oh, ok, now I get Alan's tone. Thanks.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
In this country they don't only have chocolate Easter eggs, they have chocolate Easter bunnies too. So the whole notion of killing, dissecting and eating bunnies for Easter is entirely unproblematic and children learn to do it at a very young age.

Yes, same here.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile over 10,000 rabbits were shot in Central Otago , in the South Island of NZ in this year's Great Easter Bunny Hunt which has been a local tradition for 26 years.

I think 23,000 was the record.

I am not from a farming background, where rabbits, which were imported by early settlers for their fur, are a serious pest.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1) Watership Down is, on the whole, a better book than the bible. Not just for consistency, but also for clarity of moral values.

2) The saviour-jack-in-the-tomb version seems like a craven attempt to claim a vernal equinox fertility festival that makes a lot more sense with eggs and bunnies than zombie Jesus.

3) Why hasn't anybody threatened Kelly yet? It'd be funny.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a pizza restaurant near where I live called Four Hundred Rabbits. Bloody silly name.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Meanwhile, over in the savage republic...

Pepper spray, arrests, the works.

[ 28. March 2016, 17:46: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Combine it with your trip to Downton Abbey.

It being just down the road and all that.

AG

[ 29. March 2016, 22:26: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
quote:

Bingo.

Woah! I'm sorry but I certainly do NOT watch C5.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
1) Watership Down is, on the whole, a better book than the bible. Not just for consistency, but also for clarity of moral values.

2) The saviour-jack-in-the-tomb version seems like a craven attempt to claim a vernal equinox fertility festival that makes a lot more sense with eggs and bunnies than zombie Jesus.

3) Why hasn't anybody threatened Kelly yet? It'd be funny.

I thought that was what the thread was about, tbh, when I saw the title.

Ahh, remember that one Shipmate who followed me around for a while peppering* different conversations with lovingly graphic descriptions of rabbit entrails?

* insert hausenpfeffer joke here.

[ 28. March 2016, 18:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is possibly the thread on which to mention there's a chain of gastropubs in London offering a rabbit burger on a hot cross bun.

(I have read and seen Watership Down, but my daughter, who is in her late 20s, has not. So I suspect young mums could have been caught unawares.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Meanwhile, over in the savage republic...

Pepper spray, arrests, the works.

Connecticut, huh? I was betting it was Silicon Valley, but I guess the Young Parents Infected With Affluenza demographic is similar.

I was betting Silicon Valley mostly because my Sonoma County peeps (hee!) were bitching up a storm about the incident-- thought some of them might have actually been there.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
This is possibly the thread on which to mention there's a chain of gastropubs in London offering a rabbit burger on a hot cross bun.

That sounds quite unpleasant.

I like good hot cross buns. I can take or leave rabbit. In combination, I think I'd go straight for "leave".

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, just "bun" would suffice. Easter is no excuse to be gross. Unless you are Mel Gibson.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Doesn't it tie in with Passover?
Doubt it; any more than symbolising the Lamb of God which was slain. Probably just because spring is or was, in an age of greater seasonality, when lamb starts to be available, and Easter is an appropriate celebration to eat your first of the year.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why hasn't anybody threatened Kelly yet? It'd be funny.

If you want to kill a wabbit don't pick one armed with an axe.

As for 2016 sensitivities being assaulted by rabbit/hotcross bun burgers I am reminded of a country tale from someone who lived through the war. He remembered people snaring rabbits and sending by post to ration hit towns and cities.
Apparently it was OK to bind two dead bunnys in stamped addressed brown paper, then let the postman have them with legs poking out one end and heads out the other.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ugh.

I guess that would help guarantee swift delivery.

[ 28. March 2016, 20:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
I'm guessing they were gutted.
It seems it was customary to leave the heads on because rumours were around that butchers weren't to fussy as to what they passed off as rabbit meat.

Arhh , the good o'l days [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well, I'm also thinking if you just stuffed it in a box the postmaster might think it wouldn't hurt to keep it on the shelf if need be...

"Packages with visible bunny ears go out FIRST."

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
I'm guessing they were gutted.
It seems it was customary to leave the heads on because rumours were around that butchers weren't to fussy as to what they passed off as rabbit meat.

Arhh , the good o'l days [Roll Eyes]

Apparently you count the ribs to tell the difference between cat and rabbit.

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Right, so what do you make of the creation story, with Frith and all that?

[ 28. March 2016, 21:09: Message edited by: molopata ]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016