homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crusading

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Crusading
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is surely an example of crusading?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Susan Doris's post on the Male language, male Jesus thread, that is.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude, you had one job.

One job.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure how her referencing a food preservative is crusading.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
This is surely an example of crusading?

This is surely a broken link.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we start classifying whinging about Susan Doris as crusading?

I find her posts about atheism to be a bit tedious at times, but she can and does post about other things and does not always bring atheism to the fore.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Apologies for the broken link, which Doc Tor put right.

This post looks like a blatant example of crusading to me.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A single post does not fit the Ship definition of crusading.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
A single post does not fit the Ship definition of crusading.

Indeed not.

And I have to say that I'm not massively happy with people calling for others to be warned in public like this. Quite apart from it being tantamount to a personal attack, it shows a disturbing lack of faith in the Hosts and Admins to do their jobs.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scroll, scroll, scroll.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In all seriousness, it took me a long time to find out what the fuck the BHA was. After wasting that time, it seems to me to be vaguely topical.

Just being able to predict somebody's statements is not quite the same as them crusading. It makes them boring and predictable. Not necessarily anything worse.

Complaining about somebody else being predictable is basically just whining. Erin used to regularly mutter about instantiating an Eleventh Commandment against petty whining. She was a smart one.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

It seemed to me that the post was a blatant attempt to convert. If it is OK to do this as long as someone doesn't do it all of the time but only some of the time, then the matter is closed, and I will not bring it up again.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, we have had proper crusaders. They are normally dealt with quickly and effectively.

We also have people who are tedious and predictable in their posting. If that was a crime, the boards would be pretty empty. there are people who I have never heard of because they only post on boards that I never bother visiting - are they "crusading"? Or maybe I am by not participating in these boards?

Of course not.

Of course a crusader is someone who is always arguing for something you disagree with. If you agree with it, they are merely passionate defenders of truth.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
It seemed to me that the post was a blatant attempt to convert. If it is OK to do this as long as someone doesn't do it all of the time but only some of the time, then the matter is closed, and I will not bring it up again.

Yeah, I think occasional commentary positively reflecting on one's own preferred philosophical alignment is "OK". Extrapolated a bit, every bit of persuasive writing is an attempt to "convert" people to a certain perspective. And that's an important facet of discussion we don't want to nibble away at too much just because some people are painfully monotonous about their perspectives.

Have I converted you?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what makes SD's posts look like crusading is that they the appearance sometimes of dragging in the whole dreary "if you would just stop being a schlub and become an atheist like me" thing in places where it just isn't part of the normal flow of conversation. It kind of breaks the rhythm.

1: Did you like the pastor's sermon today?
2: Yes, I felt it really made sense of the gospel.
3: There's no need to make sense of the gospel if you realize it's just a human invention and God is a fairy tale.

It's a giant non sequitur. And when it's always the SAME non sequitur, time after time after eye-gouging time, it begins to look like crusading.

It's up to the H&A to determine what does or does not constitute crusading. I have no problem with that. I just wanted to explain how it looks from one particular person's angle.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between crusading and just being annoying and breaking the flow. The problem with a real crusader is that they just.won't.Shut.Up.Ever and appear everywhere, as ubiquitous as cockroaches.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
...when it's always the SAME non sequitur, time after time after eye-gouging time, it begins to look like crusading.

No, it begins to look like one has coping issues.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
...when it's always the SAME non sequitur, time after time after eye-gouging time, it begins to look like crusading.

Plenty of people here have "coping issues". It's almost a condition of membership.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:

No, I would never say that about Susan. She seems to cope just fine.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--Has anyone told Susan about this thread? I think her text-to-voice reading software doesn't easily pick up some things. Last time there was this kind of complaint, she didn't even know about it until far into the thread.

--Raptor Eye: Did you miss the end of her post? "... wherever you decide is right for you."

--She's speaking from her own experience--she used to be a Christian--and doing it both gently and respectfully. If she'd said "you might take a look at (Christian Denomination), and see if it's right for you", would you be upset?

--She doesn't post much, so it should be easy to "scroll, scroll, scroll" on by, per comment upthread.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Plenty of people here have "coping issues". It's almost a condition of membership.

Amen. [Smile] And if you (gen.) don't have a coping issue, we'll happily give you your very own assortment!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Amen. [Smile] And if you (gen.) don't have a coping issue, we'll happily give you your very own assortment!
I'll talk to you for an hour. You'll have a coping issue then.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

We can have a coping-issue potluck! [Biased] Each Shipmate can bring one issue, and everyone else can try a little bit of it.

Anyone with an extreme cleaning/organizing issue is welcome to help clean up, afterwards.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We can have a coping-issue potluck! [Biased] Each Shipmate can bring one issue, and everyone else can try a little bit of it.

Anyone with an extreme cleaning/organizing issue is welcome to help clean up, afterwards.

Ooh, yes please!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:

--Raptor Eye: Did you miss the end of her post? "... wherever you decide is right for you."

--She's speaking from her own experience--she used to be a Christian--and doing it both gently and respectfully. If she'd said "you might take a look at (Christian Denomination), and see if it's right for you", would you be upset?

--She doesn't post much, so it should be easy to "scroll, scroll, scroll" on by, per comment upthread.

If I went on to a Humanist website, found someone posting about their struggles with humanism, and encouraged them to look at an evangelical Christian website, to see if it was right for them, I would be accused of proselytising and soundly thrashed - however kindly I said it, and even if I told them I used not to believe but now I do.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proof if any more was needed that this, on the other hand, is a Christian Website [Angel]

Proselytising is identical to the Ship definition of crusading.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
If I went on to a Humanist website, found someone posting about their struggles with humanism, and encouraged them to look at an evangelical Christian website, to see if it was right for them, I would be accused of proselytising and soundly thrashed

If said hypothetical humanist website is unable to calmly discuss and argue for their philosophy, that's their deficiency. Not ours.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
If I went on to a Humanist website, found someone posting about their struggles with humanism, and encouraged them to look at an evangelical Christian website, to see if it was right for them, I would be accused of proselytising and soundly thrashed - however kindly I said it, and even if I told them I used not to believe but now I do.

And even if you capped every such instance with "But of course you have to make up your own mind" or equivalent.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Proof if any more was needed that this, on the other hand, is a Christian Website [Angel]

Proselytising is identical to the Ship definition of crusading.

Apparently it's not, though, as long as you talk about other stuff from time to time, and post on a number of different threads, preferably on different boards. Then you may be proselytizing, but you're at least not crusading.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, I don't know what happened there. My sentence should have read "proselytising is not identical to the Ship definition of crusading".

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I'm sorry, I don't know what happened there. My sentence should have read "proselytising is not identical to the Ship definition of crusading".

That makes a good deal more sense.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016