homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New uses for ordinary objects (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New uses for ordinary objects
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many people have discovered that they can solve simple problems by using something for something other than the original purpose.

My favorite useful objects are bamboo skewers. When the mixing paddle of my bread machine is stuck in the baked loaf, a skewer is a great way to remove it. I use the pointed end of the skewer to clear away the crust that covers the paddle. Then I put the blunt end through the hole in the paddle and pull it out. Bamboo skewers are especially good for this because they will not damage the non-stick coating on the paddle.

My other favorite use of skewers is in the garden, to discourage animals from digging up the plants and bulbs I have just planted. Before I started using skewers, some animal(s) would come along and dig up what I had planted, just to see whether it was edible. Nowadays, after I plant something I put a ring of skewers around it. Four skewers are enough for a bulb; a plant requires more. Since I started doing this, nothing has been dug up.

What new uses for ordinary objects have you found?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are entire web sites and many YouTube videos about things to do with binder clips.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My living room, on the first floor (that is, elevated with a room beneath it - can't remember the proper pond conversion), has, for some curious reason known only to the original architect, a full length glassed door opening into the room. No steps outside for use as a fire door, or anything.

It also has a small iron balustrade across, for the prevention of the obvious accidents. When this was fitted, it turned out to have a very clunky looking line of bolts where it was fixed to the door frame.

I have managed to smooth its appearance by fixing a strip of UPVC trunking over it, so it looks as if it is designed that way. I can't for the life of me remember the fixing process (involving glue) since it is on the outside, and I did not have a ladder. Must have involved squeezing fingers through the bars in an awkward fashion.

I often go round hardware stores looking for something that will fit the hole of the thing that needs doing, rather than asking someone what the correct process is.

I have my mother's quilt hung on the wall with an extendable rod designed to go through net curtains and hold them up by tension, hanging on some patent hooks designed to hold up towels or similar.

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two things:

The little net bags that (used to?) come with washing powder tablets are excellent for contains small items that you want to put in the dishwasher (e.g milk bottle tops for recycling).

The inside bag from cereal packets makes a great wrap for sandwiches cakes etc where you might other wise use cling film or greaseproof paper.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clothes pegs for resealing a bread bag and bulldog clips for opened packets of pasta, rice, lentils etc.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hair bands and clips for everything. They keep cables tidy, shut bags of dried goods, hang up towels on hooks, keep notebook and pencil tidy and save my keys from jangling in my pocket. My hair is currently a bit short for hair bands, but I still have a few for purposes.

Cattyish, longer hair shortly.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw quite recently that a vase a family was using as a doorstop was worth many thousands of dollars. If only I had something like that.

[ 26. July 2016, 00:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I saw quite recently that a vase a family was using as a doorstop was worth many thousands of dollars. If only I had something like that.

I use my grandmother's chamber pot for that purpose. Unfortunately it isn't worth thousands of dollars. [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use clothespins as chip clips (and any other rollable bag). I use chip clips to hold my book while eating.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chip clips? I had to use Google for those. The wide ones are usually known as bulldog clips down here. Similar idea to down here but different design, I think.

[ 26. July 2016, 00:57: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Image of bulldog clips Here. Some have fold down wire at the top instead of the top shown here

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones you show are more for office use. Chip clips are plastic and much wider -- 6 inches for the "normal" size (what's that? About 15 cm?) and they open wider.

These are the brand I get.

[ 26. July 2016, 02:10: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dental floss for anything that needs thin, strong string.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the quakes here different uses were found for cling wrap. When the bricks in a chimney were loosened people wrapped their chimney in cling wrap to hold them together. Also when the sewerage system was being cleared of liquefaction, it was a good idea to lift the lid of the toilet and cover the opening with cling wrap, close the lid and put bricks on top of it to prevent "blow back" where the contents of your (and your neighbours) sewerage system cold erupt from the toilet.

Also when sinkholes appeared in the roads there were insufficient workers to either deal with them immediately or put up warning barriers. People surrounded the holes with the wheelie rubbish bins to prevent others driving into them.

Fingers and toes crossed that I don't need to use either of those solutions in the future - At least I no longer have a chimney to threaten my existence.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the lace tightener slide on closed toe sport sandals quite working, I tried various lace ideas before recycling bicycle inner tubes by cutting them into 3/8" strips and using those as laces. You tie them once and then the elastic properties of the tube means they are slip ons and spring to perfect tightness. I actually think this is a better idea than the lace slider thing.

Sandals like these ones.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another use for clingfilm (besides stopping the chimney from falling on you) is if you are colouring your hair (yes, I admit it. I am not naturally auburn). A swathe round the head keeps the goop from dripping/ getting on to anything.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I might write a book on 1001 uses for an old toothbrush - surely one of the most amazing devices known! All those difficult to clean places become easy.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Heard yesterday of a mum using an old toothbrush to get ingrained dog crap from her daughter's school shoes.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Dental floss for anything that needs thin, strong string.

When I had mice in my basement, I set mousetraps, but the mice would remove the bait without getting trapped. I started tying the bait to the trap with dental floss, and caught quite a few mice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dental floss! Makes a fine improvised cheese cutter. Also use it as a safety line, when you are knitting a complicated pattern. Run a long piece through all the stitches on the needle, at a point when you are confident of the pattern, and then knit on. Pull it out when you get to the next repeat and use it again.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And, over on the All Things Crafty thread, someone brought up the art of twisting rope. You just get a number of long strands of something, and twist until they double over on themselves. The twisting is hard on your hands if you have arthritis or joint issues. I got around that by tying the strings to a hand mixer.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A walking stick is very useful both for pulling hard to reach curtains and to aid blackberry picking.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clothes pegs are useful for closing bags, and, if you have ever owned an old Mini, you will probably be aware of their use in keeping the choke open. (If I see a Mini in a vintage car show, I always look for the clothes peg on the choke!)
Cling film is also useful when trying to stick thin paper onto a surface, as in napkin decoupage. You can smooth the paper without touching it and tearing it.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had my hips replaced, the advice was to cover the wound with clingfilm when showering. Some body lotion round the edges helped it to stay put.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot even begin to list the many, many things in/parts of/bits outside my lifetime of homes, classrooms and churches that have been held up/held down/held together with assorted bits of Meccano. And more than one wobbly item of furniture has been stabilized with judicial use of a Lego brick.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toothbrushes are also useful for getting rid of hairs which are caught in plugholes.

--------------------
plug plug

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Number 8 fencing wire is known here as the farmer's friend for its many uses apart from fencing. We had it suspending a fluorescent light from roof in a storage shed. Said shed had gutters tied on with it.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's a good one. Ash trays, especially very luxurious splashy ones, make grand cat dishes. I have a Waterford cut crystal ashtray, handed down from an aunt. No one is allowed to smoke anymore in their generation. It is very heavy, so the cat can't nose it around, and it is entirely hypoallergenic and dishwasher safe.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For cat dishes I re-purpose boxes from the Chinese Takeaway. They are just the right shape and size for a foil packet of cat food, just the right depth for my cat to be able to access the food or water without it spilling, and if the food gets left, you can put the lid on to keep the flies off. Then you can simply throw it away.

The obvious advantage to this method is that it gives you a really good excuse to get a takeaway [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Girl Guide captain always took a couple of condoms with her on Guide expeditions. They take up hardly any room in a rucksack, and they're sterile. If you cut off the closed end you have a tube which keeps a graze clean, holds a pad onto a cut, and gives a bit of support to a sprained wrist or ankle. She also claimed that you could carry a pint of water in a condom.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
When I had my hips replaced, the advice was to cover the wound with clingfilm when showering.

My wife was given the same advice (knee not hip), so perhaps it's quite common.

[ 27. July 2016, 08:01: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What sort of quantities does fencing wire come in? As I have run out of wire coathangers. The penultimate one is holding a metal arch to a fence post. Along with a metal hooky thing designed to hang Christmas wreaths on doors and sold ridiculously cheaply after the festival.

[ 27. July 2016, 08:38: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am speaking of agricultural supplies. A huge roll which requires a spinner for easy handling.

Down here such coathangers can be bought in supermarkets if they don't breed in your wardrobes in the dark.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

That's what I suspected!

But I've not seen the coathangers for sale.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
My Girl Guide captain always took a couple of condoms with her on Guide expeditions. They take up hardly any room in a rucksack, and they're sterile. If you cut off the closed end you have a tube which keeps a graze clean, holds a pad onto a cut, and gives a bit of support to a sprained wrist or ankle. She also claimed that you could carry a pint of water in a condom.

According to Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Cawardine condoms are useful for waterproofing microphones in order to record the sounds of Chinese river dolphins. You never know when information like this might prove useful.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My Girl Guide captain always took a couple of condoms with her. . . . If you cut off the closed end you have a tube which keeps a graze clean, holds a pad onto a cut, and gives a bit of support to a sprained wrist or ankle.

Wouldn't a roll of adhesive bandage do the same thing . . . and arouse less suspicion? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
That's what I suspected!

But I've not seen the coathangers for sale.

Visit your local drycleaners and ask if they have extra hangers available. We used to have people bringing in their dirty clothes hung up on the things all the time, and we could do nothing but dispose of the hangers--outgoing hangers with clean clothes had to be new and perfect, with no dents, etc. It was great when someone wanted to take the incomers off our hands.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
My Girl Guide captain always took a couple of condoms with her. . . . If you cut off the closed end you have a tube which keeps a graze clean, holds a pad onto a cut, and gives a bit of support to a sprained wrist or ankle.

Wouldn't a roll of adhesive bandage do the same thing . . . and arouse less suspicion? [Ultra confused]
In the movie Big Red One (set in WW2) at a moment of medical crisis the soldiers fish out condoms and put one on each finger, in lieu of rubber gloves.

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who don't have ready access to baling wire (which used to be used for baling hay, before being replaced by the equally useful baling twine), a reasonable substitute is "rebar tie wire" from the DIY store. It is intended for binding together the pieces of reinforcing rod in a concrete foundation, and typically comes in a spool of about 1kg or so. It isn't quite as stiff as coat hanger wire, but works for many uses.

Some of the smaller sizes of electric fence wire come in 250 foot / 80m spools if you need a lighter substitute.

Common colloquialisms refer to things held together with baling wire: on a farm you had all those short pieces from cutting open bales that got used for many purposes, from gate latches to securing the muffler on the truck. (Unfortunately the new plastic baling twine isn't as good for hot exhaust systems.)

When I worked as a surveyor we used the colored plastic flagging for everything: not only tied to stakes, but for wrapping wounds, repairing radiator hoses and sewer lines, tying closed the bottoms of rain pants while wading rivers, writing notes, and even as a deer call.

I'm always improvising how to accomplish things with available materials. Recently my neighbors had a high-pitched electronic sound in their garage that they couldn't locate because it seemed to come from everywhere. I held an orange plastic traffic cone to my ear like a reverse megaphone and swung it around until the sound was loudest - that quickly narrowed it down to the alarm on an exercise bicycle that we kept moving out of the way as we were looking.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
In the movie Big Red One (set in WW2) at a moment of medical crisis the soldiers fish out condoms and put one on each finger, in lieu of rubber gloves.

They keep the business end of a rifle clean too. The military and quasi-military uses of condoms go on and on.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I am always intrigued by the variety of farm gate fixings.

I inherited in my house a roll of bitumen coated metallic looking tape, I think left behind because it had stuck in the old filing cabinets I agreed to have left me. It took a lot of hacksawing to release it from the shelf, but is incredibly useful for all sorts of things. I have learned that it is, I think, flashing material, instead of lead, but I have yet to find out where it was used around the property. The flat roof did look very patchy on Google and Bing before I had it replaced! It's like Duct tape on steroids.

Sealing the leak on the replaced water tank so I could use it in the garden for rain water. Going over the wooden strips under the shed so they are preserved from rain and rot.

[ 27. July 2016, 23:09: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
When I had my hips replaced, the advice was to cover the wound with clingfilm when showering.

My wife was given the same advice (knee not hip), so perhaps it's quite common.
I burnt my hand in the kitchen recently and one-handedly googled information on treating burns. One of the treatments I found was suggested that, after cooling the burn under running water, wrapping it in cling wrap to keep the air out -before going to a doctor if needed.

Access to cling wrap can be challenging with only one working hand [Frown]

Many years ago, when I sliced my hand while doing craft work I found a sanitary pad was useful to use as a temporary dressing.

Huia the hamfisted

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A two panel clothes airer is currently doing duty as part of a climbing frame for a couple of outdoor cucumber plants

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a rather elderly highboy chest of drawers - it wobbles. Many years ago, it was stabilised by a 5 cent piece. Recently it had to be moved so my bedroom could be painted. When it was put back in place, it wobbled again. Frustrated, I mentioned this to my housekeeper, who reminded me of the five cent piece which stabilised it again for continued use to the end of my days. Odd how little makeshift repairs are sometimes forgotten as the years passed

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our marital bed, missing one foot, is held up perfectly (if invisibly) by a copy of "The Da Vinci Code".

Best place for it, I say.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago when taking a junior youth group camping one of the youngsters fell face-first onto a rock: cue the smallest size of tampon to block the nostril that refused to stop bleeding.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A neighbour at my old home was getting rid of a bunk bed, and I offered to take the parts to the sump for her, looked at them, thought, and asked if she would mind if I kept them for the garden. The bed heads are a fence between the veggie bit and the other part, and the other planks formed my first attempts at raised beds.

I spotted the local gardener getting rid of someone's structures with a planter at the bottom and trellis at the back and have those. The planter parts, short fat strakes, will go in the chiminea, but the trellis will be used to support the bramble in a new position - unless they support my friends wisteria. Currently, one is resting horizontally across a water container supporting various pots of bought plants waiting to be planted.

I have the instincts of an allotment holder.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, the repurposing of furniture! I have a stereo cabinet, which I repainted to look like books in a bookcase. It now drags out a dishonored existence as a china cabinet.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we got our first microwave oven around 1980 it was one of those old ones that weighed several tons (well, maybe 50 pounds), so we had to get a special cart for it. I now have a small microwave that sits on my kitchen counter, but the microwave cart, with a shelf and a covered compartment underneath, makes a lovely television stand.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The microwave cart, with a shelf and a covered compartment underneath, makes a lovely television stand.

Yup, I've used one for that, also for a stereo cabinet. Finally I wheeled it out onto the patio and used it for a preparation table for my BBQ.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016