homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That was the church that was

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: That was the church that was
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The publication of this book on the current demise of the CofE by Andrew Brown and Linda Woodhead has been cancelled by Bloomsbury. Does anyone know why? Legal threats, I assume.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No idea. But it's still listed on their website to order as both a print and an e-book, coming out next week
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a very late stage at which to cancel a book. Can you substantiate your claim that publication has in fact been cancelled?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See this link -but is that a definitive cancellation or just a glitch in the publishing process?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are a number of rumours, but nothing confirmed. See this tweet from Andrew (and look at some of the rest of his timeline).

I've sent him a message notifying him of this thread, so I hope he may put in an appearance.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
See this link -but is that a definitive cancellation or just a glitch in the publishing process?

That actually says postponed. There are many reasons for postponing the launch of a book that have nothing to do with cancelling it. Timing a book launch right is crucial to getting good initial sales.

Often it is because there is something else that clashes and might detract from the launch itself. Or someone who has been specifically invited to a launch cannot make it, and their presence is considered significant.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And this is in Hell why?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw that "a complaint had been received" (an Andrew Brown tweet in response to a Peter Ould comment). No doubt Hellhosts will keep us straight on any Commandment 7 issues.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe someone thought it wrong to publish during Lent.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess I logged it in hell because the threat might lead to speculation on legal issues... Damian Thompson in the Spectator also just wrote an article wondering why and offering pretty saucy suggestions.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

And alleging that Bloomsbury asked for all the review copies to be sent back. I'm sure he was sent one. It's a very, very late stage indeed to do this.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems review copies are out there, so I think the horse has bolted.

[x-post]

[ 04. February 2016, 11:36: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe the publisher woke up to the fact that **** ** * ******.

--------------------
arse

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know exactly why it was pulled. It was pulled because- hello, there's someone at the window- as I say, it was pulled because AARGGHHHHHHHH...........
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For reasons that should be obvious, I'm suspending this thread for the moment. We're having discussions backstage as to whether anything concrete about this matter can be reasonably discussed without landing the Ship in legal hot water.

DT
HH

edited to add

The consensus is that there is literally nothing we can discuss here, over and above the bald facts that a book full of accusations has had a legal challenge levelled at it, and publication has been subsequently delayed.

Once the legalities have been concluded, and the book is in the public domain, we can either reopen this thread, or posters can start a new one, hopefully based on what the book actually says as opposed to what we think it might say.

Thread stays closed.

[ 04. February 2016, 15:33: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016