homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » UK BioBank

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: UK BioBank
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anybody else on the Ship taking part in the UK Biobank ?

I'm wearing the optional activity monitor on my wrist this week. It's supposed to be compatible with all possible activities, sports and pastimes except saunas, which apparently get too hot for it. The information leaflet that came with it asks me not to take it off all week. Unless I take a sauna.

However, I discovered this afternoon that wearing the activity monitor is NOT entirely compatible with re-organising a compost heap. Both the monitor and the strap got extremely dirty and I couldn't clean them or my arm properly without taking the monitor off.

I've snuck it back on quickly and hope I haven't ruined the research……… [Paranoid]

Have any other Shipmates had a BioBank experience they'd like to share?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'm one of their customers and had the activity monitor a while ago - fortunately didn't have to tackle any compost heaps at the time. What I find frustrating is that you never get any reports on how you're doing yourself; just have to send your information in for the greater good.

Whenever they ask me to report on what I ate the day before, it's always after a day when I've been out to a fancy meal, or been entertaining; never when I've been doing my best to eat sensibly!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have re-opened this thread. I feel there is a possibility that I may have accidentally closed it by brushing that button while reading it on iPad. If that is what happened, I apologise. Certainly, in almost five years of fairly solid iPad use, nothing like that has ever happened before. Whatever. Thread is open for business again.

Lothlorien. AS host.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started in the BioBank thing but got away. I was upset that there was no upset to this "health monitoring" in the sense that they attained all the information but there was no guidance on the back of it. I just felt some feedback as to what to look out for might have been of use or how I compared with my peers.

I did learn - the optician guy - naughtily told me that I had the beginnings of cataracts. I didn't need to worry for several years but they were there. To me, that information was gold. The optician guy told me he wasn't meant to be telling me as such and requested I didn't pass on that he had told me.

That just didn't sit right.

I was sorry to leave, but didn't like the way it was a one-way street.

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My experience with Bio Bank has been great.

I find the fact that i can regulate my level of involvement with them to be very helpful.

They have Always passed onto my gp anything that (even slightly) they are concerned about. In fact, without them i would never have dared insist on action from my gp.

[Deeply garbled sentence there: put it down to the post over in Prayers of the Faithful....]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016