homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bible, the word of God?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bible, the word of God?
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the New Testament as the writings of the Christian Community and that the individual authors wrote what they held to be true. But that God ensured the inerrant accuracy of the text, no.
At some time someone, somewhere decided what to include and what to exclude.
St Jerome compiled the Latin vulgate in AD 405.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all the Bible is NOT the Word of God, it is the cradle which contains the Word of God--per Martin Luther.

Second, the first compilation of the New Testament was around 170 AD

Third, technically the New Testament is not a closed canon.

Four, we are mistaken if we think the Bible is factually inerrant. The message is inerrent, the details are debatable.

[ 25. February 2016, 14:55: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally Christians have considered something other than scripture to be the "Word of God". Using the Bible as a kind of "paper Pope" is a relatively recent development contingent upon widespread literacy and moveable type printing (or other methods of mass media production).

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is ABOUT the word of God (Jesus) - communicated via fallible human beings.

Note that 2 Tim 3:18 talks about 'inspired' = God-breathed - as he had breathed into fallibe Adam.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
First of all the Bible is NOT the Word of God, it is the cradle which contains the Word of God--per Martin Luther.

Second, the first compilation of the New Testament was around 170 AD.

Martin Luther might well be right.

I am intrigued as to how you derive 170 AD.

[fixed code and wondered about right place for this thread - Eutychus, Purgatory host]

[ 25. February 2016, 15:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an indirect reference to the New Testament canon, called the Muratorion fragment which was written an 170 ACE.

Marcion, the heretic, compiled his canon several years earlier, around 140 ACE. Basically, it included Luke and the books written by Paul.

In reaction to the Marcion canon the church fathers began to compile their own canons.

It is safe to say that around 170 most Christians agreed to most of the canon we have today.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible isn't a satnav to be followed slavishly to a destination. It's a torch that lights up the road ahead.

It shows the junctions but the choice to take is yours. You have control to follow the road rather than be dictated to.

That way you don't have the excuse that the Bible "says" this or that, therefore it MUST be true, because satnavs are inerrant. You must take responsibility for getting yourself there.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having recently set my satnav to guide me to a building in Glasgow, which I knew where it was but needed a bit of help around the one way systems, I can attest to the fallibility of satnavs.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Satnavs really are infallible.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many have made the mistake of seeing the Bible as a history book-a description of facts. it isn't and was never intended to be. The narrative is interwoven with history, because God is a God who has acted within human history. But few scholars would think Job was a real man, or that millions of Israelites wondered the Sanai desert for 40 years. The Exodus tells a story of the escape from the bondage of this world(Egypt) through much struggle in which faith is the only light, to the freedom of the Children of God in the Promised Land.

When Christ is born, He is the unique Son of God, King of the Jews and Messiah of Israel. In Him rests the fulfilment of the Law and the Prophets. He redeems mankind by His sacrificial surrender to the will of God against Adam's exaltation of his own will. By following His surrender, we can be brought into God's presence for eternity.

This is the Word of God. It doesn't all have to be historical to be true.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
The Bible isn't a satnav to be followed slavishly to a destination... because satnavs are inerrant.

/tangent
Satnavs are not inerrant. I waited three quarters of an hour for an AA car that was not far away but his stanav couldn't find me – in a well-estanlished suburban neighbourhood./

Other examples have been recorded.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this a Dead Horse? Not the satnav. You know what I mean.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Isn't this a Dead Horse? Not the satnav. You know what I mean.

I don't think the canon is, though (is it?)

If I may say so, the discussion seems a distinctly protestant way of looking at the canon. And I speak as a protestant.

Canon means rule - these were the writings of those who knew Jesus or heard from those who had. They guided the church. If there were to be some discovery - say of a document that was likely contemporaneous with the gospels, however flexible you might wish the canon to be, the chance of it being accepted in the canon is effectively zero unless it could be shown it guided the church. In which case we most likely would know of it already.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Traditionally Christians have considered something other than scripture to be the "Word of God". Using the Bible as a kind of "paper Pope" is a relatively recent development contingent upon widespread literacy and moveable type printing (or other methods of mass media production).

I would add that the notion that Word of God = Bible is itself unbiblical. I can't think of a passage where Scripture even uses the phrase "the Word of God" or "Word of the Lord" to refer to itself.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Leo and Gramps49. I've a high view of scripture, but in scripture, 'the Word' is Jesus. John 1 does not say, 'and the Word became paper and dwelt among us, and we beheld its glory'.

Scripture is the book about the Word. Unlike with the Koran, the Word of God is not a book, nor a sacred text, but a living person.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is. And yet, the Word of God (person) shows a very high view of the word of God (Scriptures). I'm not going to cross him in that.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosts are discussing the right home for this thread.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't take too long. Any discussion on this topic is bound to feature the Dead Horse of biblical inerrancy. So off it goes.

Barnabas62
Purgatory (and Dead Horses) Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's obvious in the Greek, to call Holy Scripture (hagia graphe) logos theou sounds almost blasphemous.
Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Overstating (and yes, I read Greek too, so do a lot of us). And what are you going to do with all the "And the word of the Lord came to [prophet's name] and he said:" passages?

Better to leave it fuzzy, as the Scripture does. We might even learn something from the fuzziness.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Overstating (and yes, I read Greek too, so do a lot of us). And what are you going to do with all the "And the word of the Lord came to [prophet's name] and he said:" passages?

That identifies one chunk (however large) in the Scriptures as the Word of the Lord. One can't get from there to the whole collection of books as the Word of the Lord without dragging in an enthymeme.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
The Bible isn't a satnav to be followed slavishly to a destination... because satnavs are inerrant.

/tangent
Satnavs are not inerrant. I waited three quarters of an hour for an AA car that was not far away but his satnav couldn't find me – in a well-estanlished suburban neighbourhood./

Other examples have been recorded.

I've been in a car where the satnav told the driver to turn down a dead-end street, then told her to turn back around and drive out of it, turning onto the road we were just on in the direction we were just going. This was no newly-plugged street; it led to a shopping area.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
I would add that the notion that Word of God = Bible is itself unbiblical. I can't think of a passage where Scripture even uses the phrase "the Word of God" or "Word of the Lord" to refer to itself.

And yet we respond to liturgical readings from Scripture with "The Word of the Lord. Thanks be to God."

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Scripture is the book about the Word. Unlike with the Koran, the Word of God is not a book, nor a sacred text, but a living person.

Well, the traditional Jewish understanding, which I believe would have been generally accepted in the time of Jesus, is that Torah—particularly the Law as given to Moses—is indeed the Word of God, delivered directly from God to Moses. And as Lamb Chopped notes, "the word of the Lord" came to quite a few prophets.

I really think this idea that in Christianity, Scripture is not the word of God because Jesus is the Word is a false dichotomy. As I said recently in another thread (can't remember which one), like many other words, "word" can mean more than one thing depending on context. That may be especially true in a case like this, where one usage draws heavily on a Greek concept and the other on a Hebrew concept.

I think the appropriate questions are questions like: "What do we mean when we say Scripture is the word of God?" (and many of us do not mean that it is factually inerrant or always be taken literally), "What do we mean when we say Jesus is the Word?," and "How does the idea that Scripture is the word of God relate to and fit with the idea that Jesus is the Word Incarnate?"

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Better to leave it fuzzy, as the Scripture does. We might even learn something from the fuzziness.

Never assumed no one else could read Greek. I still cannot see how 'the word of the Lord' in such passages could possibly mean a book, or even the Torah. I'm happy with the fuzziness, not with a clear identification of the Bible with 'the word of God'.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My comment on a parallel topic on another thread:

quote:

Skips between allegory, history, grocery lists, action stories and morality plays. Changes direction and tone with no proper transition, no consistant voice. It's crap for continuity. As a collection of related works, it struggles, as a cohesive structure it utterly fails. Should have added extensive footnotes at the very least and the publisher should have hired a competent editor.
No modern critic would deign to print a review, much less praise it. It's almost as if it were cobbled together by loads of different authors with different understandings and agendas rather than as the single, coherent narrative that many seen to ascribe.

Said in jocular fashion, but all very real problems in treating the bible as the [thunderclap]Word of God[/thunderclap]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

That identifies one chunk (however large) in the Scriptures as the Word of the Lord. One can't get from there to the whole collection of books as the Word of the Lord without dragging in an enthymeme.
MT, you're talking dirty again. I'm telling Mom.

Given the fact that huge, huge bits of the prophetic writings are introduced with just that phrase, it's very reasonable to assume that prophetic writings/utterances that are NOT explicitly identified with that particular phrase are still "the word of the Lord," particularly when they say things like "I am YHWH your God" & etc.

Now bear in mind the Jewish/OT/NT habit of identifying people like Moses, David, and Samuel also as "prophets." This means that the greater part of the OT is therefore "of the prophets," and by an easy inference also "the word of the Lord." What bits remain (unknown writers?) is I suppose arguable, but I am aware of no ancient Jewish or patristic attempts to devalue those bits as somehow being less "the word of God" than the rest. To the contrary, it all seems to wind up being used the same way, with the possible exception of the Torah, which is pre-eminent--not because it is somehow more "the word of the Lord" than other bits (that formula is more common in the major and minor prophets) but because they are the founding and foundational books on which everything else is built.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
My comment on a parallel topic on another thread:

Said in jocular fashion, but all very real problems in treating the bible as the [thunderclap]Word of God[/thunderclap]

This was answered best by BWSmith (Where is that man? He ought to be here to crow in triumph as I'm citing his words of wisdom [Big Grin] ):

quote:
The fact is, God gave us a building of bricks and mortar to serve as His incarnate house. Further, He gave us a 1st-century Palestinian Jew to serve as His incarnate Son. To add insult to injury, He gave us Israel's scriptures (much of which is ancient historiography) and the writings of the apostles to serve as His incarnate Word.

So if you're looking for an unconquerable super-building, God will have to disappoint you with the Temple. If you're looking for an uncrucifiable superhuman deity, God will disappoint you with Jesus. And if you're looking for a perfect book, you'll have to make do with the Bible.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now bear in mind the Jewish/OT/NT habit of identifying people like Moses, David, and Samuel also as "prophets." This means that the greater part of the OT is therefore "of the prophets," and by an easy inference also "the word of the Lord." What bits remain (unknown writers?) is I suppose arguable, but I am aware of no ancient Jewish or patristic attempts to devalue those bits as somehow being less "the word of God" than the rest. To the contrary, it all seems to wind up being used the same way, with the possible exception of the Torah, which is pre-eminent--not because it is somehow more "the word of the Lord" than other bits (that formula is more common in the major and minor prophets) but because they are the founding and foundational books on which everything else is built.

The traditional Jewish understanding, at least if I understand correctly, is actually the opposite—all Scripture is considered inspired, but Torah is in fact considered more directly the Word of God than the Prophets, and the Prophets are considered to have a higher level of inspiration than the Writings. Torah was believed to have existed before creation and to have been given, word for word, by God to Moses. The prophets were understood to have actually seen or heard their prophecies. The Writings were considered to have been written under divine inspiration, but without directly seeing or hearing the things written.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Have you got a source? I need to do some study...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by LambChopped quoting BWSmith:
quote:

And if you're looking for a perfect book, you'll have to make do with the Bible.

I'm not suggesting the bible is, or should be, a perfect book. I'm suggesting quite the opposite. And I am stating that many Christians ignore that it isn't.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question of the canon has intrigued me since I learned some churches have books others don't. The apocrypha of course, which is not always separate books but parts of books.

Also 3 or 4 books in the eastern church but not the western.

And wasn't a 151st psalm found in the dead sea scrolls along with the psalms we know?

To me this suggests a fuzziness around the edges of "what is the canon." And surely new songs, poems, true reports of amazing things God does are newly created/inspired today.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Given the fact that huge, huge bits of the prophetic writings are introduced with just that phrase, it's very reasonable to assume that prophetic writings/utterances that are NOT explicitly identified with that particular phrase are still "the word of the Lord," particularly when they say things like "I am YHWH your God" & etc.

I'd say the exact opposite. Why would you go to lengths to say "the following is the Word of the Lord" when it's all the Word of the Lord? It seems to me that you differentiate when there is a distinction to be made; you are calling attention to something different from its surroundings.

But we're both going beyond what is written. Which is the point I was making with the dirty word. You don't get "the Bible is the Word of teh Lord" without bringing in something from the outside, like your assumption that if you call one part of the bible "the word of the Lord" it all must be.

quote:
Originally posted by BWSmith as quoted by Lamb Chopped:
To add insult to injury, He gave us Israel's scriptures (much of which is ancient historiography) and the writings of the apostles to serve as His incarnate Word.

This is blasphemous. Jesus is the incarnate Word. The Bible is not "incarnate" in any sense. Incarnate means "made FLESH" not made into noises that can be represented by marks on paper.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oy. I think the man was attempting to be metaphorical. "Incarnate" has come to mean quite a bit more (or less) than "enfleshed" in everyday talk. I wouldn't use it that way, and nor would you, but I can cut him some slack.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm really not coming up with any other uses. Can you give me an example?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oy. I think the man was attempting to be metaphorical. "Incarnate" has come to mean quite a bit more (or less) than "enfleshed" in everyday talk. I wouldn't use it that way, and nor would you, but I can cut him some slack.

Does it? I can't say I've ever heard it in any other sense, nor can I think of any other sense to give it.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm pretty sure I've heard coworkers describe a particular project as "hell incarnate", when there is no flesh at all involved--merely paper and electrons. The newer, sloppy sense seems to be much like the misuse of "literally"--the person is looking for an intensifier, and "very" or "really" doesn't seem strong enough. I doubt the user could tell you what "incarnate" actually means.

But then, there's always the possibility that I'm hearing a regionalism, or some misuse of English that hasn't made it to your neck of the woods yet. Or that I'm simply mistaken.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I can honestly say I have never heard the phrasing "X Incarnate" used of anything but human beings.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

As Nick Tamen said: the rabbinical thought I know never identifies 'the word of the Lord (who) came to...' with the pre-existing Torah, spelled out letter by letter by the Almighty. I don't believe it myself, but they, and the Fathers, clearly envisaged degrees of inspiration and authority in Scripture. Plus, really, do we need the Most High to reveal to us that 'king Amasa lived for' so many years, or that the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem, or indeed that murder is bad, as is hitting your mum on the nose?

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--Long ago, I took a class from a rabbi. He said that the Penteteuch is Torah, the rest of the Hebrew scriptures are Torah, that "everything is Torah". I guess that view is probably from the Orthodox /Hassidic /Kabbalistic part of the Jewish spectrum. Mystical. I very much liked the idea of everything being Torah.

--In my childhood church, the Bible was basically the Word about the WORD. I've sometimes thought of it as an user's/owner's manual.

My current view is along the lines of "It's one culture's struggles with and towards God; some or all of it may be inspired by God, in some sense; and it's where I can go to think about and work out that stuff".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Have you got a source? I need to do some study...

I was primarily relying on memory of things read and of conversations. I'll do some looking. And I should have been a bit more careful with my words and should have said Rabbinic Judaism rather than "traditional Judaism."

I did find this from Maimonides' Commentary on Mishna:
quote:
The Torah is from Heaven. We are to believe that this entire Torah given by Moshe was entirely from G-d, i.e. Moshe received it from the Almighty . . . He was like a scribe who hears dictation and writes . . . There is no difference between "The sons of Cham were Chush and Mitzrayim" (Genesis 10:6) , "The name of his wife was Mehitabel" (36:39) , "And Timna was a concubine (36:12) on the one hand, and "I am the L-rd your G-d" (Exodus 20:2) , and "Hear O Israel" (Deuteronomy 6:4) . It is all from the Omnipotent; it is all (part of) the "perfect Torah of G-d" (Psalm 19), pure and holy. Whoever says that certain of these passages and stories were told by Moshe of his own accord, is considered by our Sages and prophets as a heretic and worse, for he considers the Torah to contain heart and husk, and that certain historical accounts and narratives are not beneficial, having originated with Moshe. This is the concept of "Torah is not from Heaven" that our Sages have defined as even including the belief that the entire Torah is from G-d, except some specific passage that is not from G-d but from Moshe. This constitutes "For the word of G-d has he shamed" (Numbers 15:31) . Rather, every sentence in Torah contains wisdom and profundity for him who understands.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
--Long ago, I took a class from a rabbi. He said that the Penteteuch is Torah, the rest of the Hebrew scriptures are Torah, that "everything is Torah". I guess that view is probably from the Orthodox /Hassidic /Kabbalistic part of the Jewish spectrum. Mystical. I very much liked the idea of everything being Torah.

Hassidic or Kabbalistic, yes. Orthodox, probably not.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Maimonides quote is very much in line with what I was taught in my childhood fundamentalist church.

Nick, can you tell me where in his commentary that is? Or give me a link? I might want to read further. Thanks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

Sorry. I should have provided a link earlier. It can be found in a variety of sources—search for Maimonides and Mehitabel—but I copied it from here.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

--In my childhood church, the Bible was basically the Word about the WORD. I've sometimes thought of it as an user's/owner's manual.

My current view is along the lines of "It's one culture's struggles with and towards God; some or all of it may be inspired by God, in some sense; and it's where I can go to think about and work out that stuff".

Inspired by God or not, is the Bible inerrant?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:

How does this question even make sense? It gets bits right by accident?

[ 04. March 2016, 15:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:

How does this question even make sense? It gets bits right by accident?
I am sorry if some of my posts make less than sense.
I do try to express my understanding of a question,
and hope that someone will correct me.
They usually do.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I post nonsense on a regular basis, so I'm not one who should judge. But if cliffdweller doesn't think all of the bible is inspired, how could it be inerrant? And it is just now twigging that it could be humour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be inspired, but wrong, like my mother a lot of the time.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016