homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shrinking your Office?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Shrinking your Office?
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our parish has public Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer every day, using our 1979 BCP. On Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday, we have often observed the tradition (not mentioned in the BCP itself) of stripping down the Offices to a bare minimum: no preces/responses, no hymn or Phos hilaron; just the Lord's Prayer and collect to conclude.

I'm the officiant this evening, when EP will be done normally, and may be the officiant tomorrow (Maundy Thursday). I'd like to have the minimized office tomorrow and without leaflets if possible. I may preface the rite with a one- or two-sentence explanation and then sit down for some silence before beginning. (I'm thinking I may need to mention a page number or two as we go.) Do others do something similar? We've used a half-sheet leaflet before, which may eliminate page announcements.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been 'stripping' my personal Offices, yes. No preces, no Gloria except after the Gospel canticle. Taking particular care to make time for silence is also powerful for me.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what we called 'Table Prayers'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There aren't really many options to the RC Office. At least, there aren't for the 'libretto,' music and choreography is a different story!

I guess we're stripping down in our house, by not celebrating them at all, but that's because we are celebrating them in the basilica, which normally only has Sunday Vespers. I'm not really involved in that, but will just show up and occupy in a pew, so I'll have to report on how it's done.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C of E Daily Prayer allows for such stripping down - no intro, gloria etc.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016