homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Pi Day! :)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Pi Day! :)
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, my friends, to the number that never ends!* It's March 14, which is 3/14 in American, and Pi is 3.14......

Any interesting Pi parties, sightings, news? Pi pies?

Some goodies:

"How Far Can You Memorize Pi? Show Off Your Skills with These Memory Tricks" (Make).

"The Tau of Pi: Why 3.14 Isn’t the Whole Story" (Make).

*Nod to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say that I dislike Pi Day celebrations that just consist of throwing a pie in someone's face. Duh I get it, 'pi' and 'pie' are pronounced the same way, but at least try to make a reference to the mathematical constant.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave one of my daughters a t-shirt for Christmas that said
MY PASSWORD IS THE LAST EIGHT DIGITS OF PI.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Mazda has been spotted around the internet today.

Also of significance, Albert Einstein was born on March 14, 1979.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pigwidgeon: Also of significance, Albert Einstein was born on March 14, 1979.
I just saw him today. Nice 37 year old lad [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here is a pi pie.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Pigwidgeon: Also of significance, Albert Einstein was born on March 14, 1979.
I just saw him today. Nice 37 year old lad [Smile]
Oops! It must have something to do with the space time continuum... or something.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
~Tortuf

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

[Big Grin] (This is a mistake I could have made.)

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has a pi plate I gave her... a pie plate embossed with pi and the digits all around the edge.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
...It's March 14, which is 3/14 in American, and Pi is 3.14......

rounded up to 4 decimal places, is 3.14 of '16
Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost forgot- then someone at a cafe mentioned it. i just finished the most delectable little black cherry pie you could ever want. Nom to the power of pi.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a big article in The Western Mail ("The National Newspaper of Wales") yesterday, as apparently the pi symbol was first used by a Mathematician born on Anglesy.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
It's March 14, which is 3/14 in American, and Pi is 3.14......

Americans are so lucky. In Britain, Pi Day would either be the 31st of April or the 3rd of Duodecember.

When I was about 15, I memorised pi to 50 decimal places. Try as I might, I've never been able to forget it.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, as you will all know, this doesn't mean anything here. We put our dates in ascending order, strictly from left to right, day, then month, then year. So the 14th March in numbers is 14:3:2016. So 9:11 here means the 9th of November.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they say on St Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Yes, as you will all know, this doesn't mean anything here. We put our dates in ascending order, strictly from left to right, day, then month, then year. So the 14th March in numbers is 14:3:2016. So 9:11 here means the 9th of November.

Then you should celebrate e-day on 27:1.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016