homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canberra Kindness

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Canberra Kindness
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I am, an in-patient at Calvary John James over Easter.... Indeed well into next week...
Bored really.
Any Canberra folk out there with a spare bit of time? Beaming smile? Looking for a chat in a visit?
You would be welcome to pop into the hospital...

If over a meal time, that would be good too.... We could get some fascinating takeaway...

Anyway, do please consider this!
And thanks for the support in the Oz thread.,

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit too far for me to visit I'm afraid, but wishing you many visitors and good cheer Rowen. [Axe murder]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My very best wishes. It must be breakfast time where you are. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rowen, how about Skype?
(Not right now, by the way, as I have just woken up and the sight of me may well put you off your dinner!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Lol.
I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense. But not now, as we are getting ready for bed.
I will work on it tomorrow!
What a great idea.

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about it Rowen.

Sadly a bit far from Brisbane.

Get better soon and Happy Easter.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canberra seems to be a bit far from most places, Rowen, especially Oxfordshire in the UK, but I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Do you have a kindle? A portable library, if you are up to reading, is a boon. As is a pack of patience cards. [Smile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently spent six days in a hospital, followed by four weeks in a rehab facility. I had my cellphone with me, and I sent many texts every day. Texts are better than phone calls because the recipient can read them and respond at their convenience.

My Kindle was also a great way to pass time. I downloaded quite a few 19th century novels which I had read before, but wanted to re-read. Just about all of them were free.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, you can always e-mail if you have a computer with you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Rowen.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not present in person but in thought and prayer, for you and for those treating and caring for you (that includes BL).

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Thanks for your kind support and ideas. Much appreciated.

I have books downloaded on my iPad, which I am enjoying. I watch TV. I sleep. I think the significant thing, given the size of Australia, is that home and close friends are at least five hours away. I miss the familiarity of that with which I am most familiar!
Why chose a hospital so far from home? Well. It's the closest one that does my particular thingy. I wanted the operation to happen fast, but otherwise I could have chosen a public hospital, closer to home, and a many-many-many months of waiting list. That is one of the things about Oz. country people are a LONG WAY AWAY from professional helping services.
I hasten to add that the hospital pastoral care team send a visitor in every working day, and Banner Lady has been a fabulous visitor, coming in and collecting laundry every second day, and telling me of life on the outside.
Things are going well, physically, for me, which is great.

My first Easter in 27 years were in I haven't done the Whole Thing on a parish or institution. Quite odd

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Visitors today... Tukai and his wife, whose ship name I can't remember, very kindly visited me today, in hospital, armed with a most delicious pide or two.
We ate and laughed, and caught up with life.
It was all most appreciated!
Thanks, guys.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
My first Easter in 27 years were in I haven't done the Whole Thing on a parish or institution. Quite odd

Yes. Feels weird, doesn't it? I spent Maundy Thursday-Easter in hospital/ICU back in 2014, and when I got out, I couldn't shake the feeling that Lent wasn't over yet.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a pide?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume the "d" is a typo.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pide = Turkish pizza

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

A pide is kind of like a pizza, turned into itself.
Yummy.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
A pide is kind of like a pizza, turned into itself.
Yummy.

Very yummy. Big seller down here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we like our food, wine and coffee here in the nation's capital. For a not very big city we have an amazing cultural diversity in our eateries. Pretty sure it is a cornucopia compared to the remote area where Rowen works.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly quite different food. Different climate, different customer base etc.

That said, my son loves the Snowies and goes there when he can. He has found amazing cafés in basically tiny towns. Not at ski resorts or towns like Jindabyne, but what are really isolated general stores along the way, selling good coffee and food. And things like dog food and white generic bread.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Yes, we like our food, wine and coffee ...

[nerd alert]
Am I alone in thinking that the term barista ought to mean a lady who makes coffee, and that a gentleman in the same profession should be called a baristo?
[/nerd alert OFF]

Perhaps one of the Ship's linguists will enlighten me. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True story: my brother-in-law is Greek and his sister recently introduced me to her son. She still has a heavy accent, and proudly told me what a good barrister he was, with many return customers wanting to be served only by him.

Cue son hissing loudly in his mother's ear "It's barista, Mum, BARISTA...NOT barrister!"

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

AIUI, a barista could be a man or a woman, but several men would be baristi, and several women bariste.

I bet you get confused looks when you ask for a panino, too.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... I bet you get confused looks when you ask for a panino, too.

[Killing me]

I've been tempted, I must confess.

I'm reminded of the story of a professor who was leading a research project into the properties of the pendulum. He was most insistent that his students used the correct Latin plural pendula rather than pendulums, and shortly before their paper was due to be published he asked them how things were going.

The reply was, "Very well, Professor; all that remains now is to sit down on our ba and do our sa".

[Snigger]

[ 30. March 2016, 14:25: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done it. My inner pedant must have SOME exercise!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son is an excellent Barista [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

AIUI, a barista could be a man or a woman, but several men would be baristi, and several women bariste.
A mixed gender group would be?

(Hope you make a full recovery, Rowen)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016