homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Chicken skin, bacon rind, fish bones (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Chicken skin, bacon rind, fish bones
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Inquiries thread, where I originally posted:

Periodically I buy cooked chicken portions which have some kind of flavour coating. Usually on the skin, which seems like rather a waste as I always remove and discard it.

It's since dawned on me that possibly you're intended to eat the chicken skin. I always assumed this was just left in place for cooking purposes and should be removed. Do people actually eat it?

Answers were:

quote:
Gwai:
I definitely eat the skin. I consider it a bit of a treat as it is less healthly, but I think it tastes the best, particularly with flavorings.

quote:
Huia:
I don't because a lot of the fat is found under the skin. I am less sure about chicken than other meat as my mother never cooked it (saying that it looked like roasted baby [Eek!] ). In my childhood chicken was an expensive meat, compared with beef and lamb, now it is the cheapest that can be bought here.

quote:
Brenda Clough:
I do. If I remove the skin for a specific dish I will save it, and put it (with bones, wing tips, spines, etc.) into the stock pot.

quote:
Firenze:
Chicken skin is the Whole Point as far as I'm concerned. It's like pork crackling, or the rim of fat on a chop. The objective is to get it as crisp and flavoursome as possible to complement the relative blandness of the meat.

quote:
Leorning Cniht:
I'm a huge fan of pork crackling (and disappointed that it seems to be impossible to buy a pork joint with the rind on in the US) but don't like chicken skin.

quote:
lilBuddha:
If you're needing to eat the fat for the flavour, you are not seasoning it properly and might well be buying the wrong meat.

quote:
Firenze:
'relative'. It's the contrast in texture and mouth feel as well as flavour. I would expect the meat on my Chinese style chicken thighs to be soft and taste of chicken, and the skin to be crisp and taste of honey, soy, five-spice, chili etc - and for the sauce to be a meld of the meat juices, rendered fat and introduced flavours.

I never buy the 'wrong' meat because I am well aware of the various farming methods behind what I see on the counter or in the chill cabinet, and what that is likely to mean in terms of taste as well as ethics.

But the more free range/organic/fed on honeydew the meat is, the more important to use every element - lean, fat, bone, skin - to the best effect.

So: chicken skin, pork crackling, fat, bacon rind, fish skin and fish bones? Or do you regard these things as mostly inedible, and leave them on the plate?

[ 24. April 2016, 07:18: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crispy skin salmon is delicious and skin is wonderful to eat. Heat in oil skin side down first and let skin crisp. Turn and be careful you don't overcook.

Pork crackling is also wonderful. Fifteen year old granddaughter is a good cook and often cooks week night dinner for her father and herself. Somehow she had missed out on a roast and did one with pork a few weeks ago. It turned out really well.

I rarely use fish stock but would boil bones and scrap if needed.

Occasionally I will eat crispy bacon rind but tend to discard that. Grilled chops with crunchy fat which has browned well, especially in a BBQ are great.

I don't like beef fat although I remember my mother's dripping with longing. Clarified every week, it made amazing roasts and as a treat we would sometimes have it spread on toast wit pepper and sat. Mum was always surprised that we regarded it as a treat. She had memories of it as a necessity in the Depression. But beef fat on the meat is cut off by me and discarded.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the fish bones, I've known some people who actually eat them. And there are people who like kippers, of course.

Re the fish skin, do the scales not bother you?

Stock is a different matter because you're not actually getting your teeth into the bones. (I hope. Well, if you like it, do.)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted to the original thread before seeing this one, setting out my philosophy that you should try and make the best use of all the bits, both out of respect for the animal, as an exercise of frugality, and - not least - because it yields tastier food.

I'll admit that I'm not totally Chinese about it: I draw the line at chicken feet. Nor yet 18th century - probably not doing deep-fried eyeballs or stewed udder any time soon.

But cultural conditioning aside, I aim to get the best out of what I buy.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you watch Masterchef or any of those cookery programmes, the cooks often use crispy chicken, fish skin or pork crackling as a separate item, both edible and decorative. Chicken skin and etc can sometimes be added to meals which aren't based on chicken or whatever as an extra crunch and delicacy. Roast chicken with a crispy skin is a joy.

I used to cut off and rend bacon rind down to grease the pan, then add the bacon and whatever else was going into the dish. Yes, we ate the crispy rind. It's a real irritation that I have to search out bacon with a rind now. This works using bacon as the basis of a sauce such as carbonara and a cooked breakfast.

(I like kippers, sorry. Although we bought some in Whitby last year that were inedible they were so smoky and salty.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I should say that the chicken skin on any portions I've bought has never been crispy.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I buy a ready cooked chicken from the supermarket the skin is pretty disgusting and goes into the stock pot with the bones. I try not to buy those chickens, although reduced to 50p as I'm buying supper on my way home from work late at night they are hard to resist. I suspect that the animal welfare isn't great and the flavouring on the skin is almost certainly attempting to counteract blandness.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This site shows how to descale the salmon and to cook it. I looked here on iPad and site was messy but it may be fine on computer.

It and other sites speak of scales being caught in teeth.

I have never had that happen with salmon and honestly had never thought of it, so perhaps ours comes down here already scaled.

[ 24. April 2016, 08:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I should say that the chicken skin on any portions I've bought has never been crispy.

It needs to be freshly cooked.

If I am doing a whole chicken, and there will be leftovers, I usually strip skin from those portion so as to get the beauty of it hot.

The drying and salting mentioned in Lothlorien's link will also work for duck and pork. Finishing crackling under a hot grill will make it mega-crispy - but you have to watch it like a hawk, as it can go from puffy to burnt in seconds.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I just cook the slmon skin down in hot oil. I added the link because it shows the salmon being scaled. Am planniing on crispy skin salmon tomorrow evening.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In many countries, it is considered a waste to throw the chicken skin away.

quote:
Firenze: I draw the line at chicken feet.
Brazilians will put the whole foot in their mouth and then they spit out the little bones like a machine gun [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I;m a vegetarian. Stop eating all these dead animals. I would consider the whole lot inedible.

{I'll go away now. You can carry on and laugh about the veggie who doesn't know what he is missing]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Pork crackling you can keep. As with pork scratchings, I have memories of having to prise a compacted substance off my teeth.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I;m a vegetarian. Stop eating all these dead animals. I would consider the whole lot inedible.

There's hardly anything that can be eaten that has never had the spark of life about it at some stage. Animals and plants die to provide food for a wide range of other living creatures; fruits, nuts and seeds that contain potential life also die for similar reasons. The whole eco-chain seems to consist of living things that eat other living things to survive.

Unless you want to live solely on milk, cheese and honey, there probably isn't a lot else that doesn't fit that category. However, that's probably a Purgatory tangent.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Umm - you do know that milk and cheese production involves producing calves (kids/lambs) to put the cows (goats/ewes) into milk?

Mostly dairy farms use sperm donation to put the cows in calf, and use mostly female sperm to achieve this. It was well known when I grew up in the deepest darkest West Country that farmers receiving their sperm delivery later in the day got more female calves, because X chromosome sperm is marginally heavier than Y sperm, and the jolting of the car separated it out. But it's not a perfect separation.

The male calves can't all go to make veal, particularly with squeamishness about veal production, or be reared for beef, particularly in breeds not used for beef. Somewhere in Gerald Durrell's books he describes his relief in finding a cheap fresh meat supply of newly born male calves from the local Jersey herds.

(I can't face eating beef after seeing what happened to those calves at market and in the cattle trucks driving away: I lived near what was the biggest calf market in Europe for a while. But I'm hypocritical enough to still drink milk and eat cheese.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Umm - you do know that milk and cheese production involves producing calves (kids/lambs) to put the cows (goats/ewes) into milk?

Yes, but I'm not discussing that on this thread. It's a whole separate topic in itself.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken skin, bacon rind and pork crackling - all very high in 'bad' chloresterol so i avoid them.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grill my salmon skin side down and I eat the fish, and the skin was a treat for the kitties. Back when there were kitties here. [Tear]

Cracklin's! Good stuff if made correctly! I was lucky to have a co-worker many moons ago who made cracklings that were to die for.

And, yes to chicken skin if it's crispy. The same for turkey. OK, now I'm going to have to buy a chicken to roast. Which means I'll have bones to make chicken stock. It's all good!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh chicken skin - the best part!

My mother formulated a flavoring salt that is just divine. A few years ago I held her feet to the fire for the recipe because I was damned if she was going to die and take it with her. That flavor salt makes chicken skin ZOMG! so delicious!

I buy free range organic chicken quarters and bake them at 230 for fifteen minutes to get the skin to crisp up. Then I turn the heat back to 180 and bake for another 30 minutes.

I drain the fat off and keep it in a jar in the fridge, and use it for sauteeing relatively bland chicken breast pieces and veggies before adding them to the stock I make with the bones.

I get a lot of mileage from a half a chicken. But the skin is the BEST!!!

AFF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chicken skin, pork crackling, fat, bacon rind, fish skin and fish bones?

Chicken/poultry skin - I'll eat if its Chinese crispy duck, othewise no, but the children will eat crisp chicken skin.

Crackling - Definitely, but only if I make it myself because I score the rind right through the fat layer to the underlying meat and the lines of scoring are only about 4-5mm apart. I wouldn't touch those dreadful Pork Scratchings with a bargepole.

Fat - on the whole no. The exception is bacon, and then only if really crispy. Bacon rind ditto.

Fish skin & bones - go into the appropriate stock pot, same as meat bones.

I have encountered someone who puts bones and skin into a stock pot and doesn't separate different types of meat and the result is vile [Projectile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually love crispy chicken skin, but as I'm on a weight loss diet I don't at the moment, it's very fatty.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, my dad, my brother, and I would go trout fishing and my mom would coat the catch in cornmeal and fry it up. I loved the fresh, crispy tails.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
If I am doing a whole chicken, and there will be leftovers, I usually strip skin from those portion so as to get the beauty of it hot.

Yes! This. Once it's cold and blubbery it's disgusting. It needs to be hot and preferrably a little crispy.

I take it chicken-skin-haters don't do drumettes? I can't imagine getting a bowl of fried wing sections and meticulously stripping the skin from each before eating it. It would burn your fingers for one thing.

Re. Scales:

When we caught salmon, we would descale them with the garden hose. A high pressure spray, sprayed "backwards" (tail to head) strips them right off. On trout, my grandfather taught me to descale by running a fileting knife across the skin from tail to head, essentially "shaving" the scales off.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
When I was a kid, my dad, my brother, and I would go trout fishing and my mom would coat the catch in cornmeal and fry it up. I loved the fresh, crispy tails.

Yes! The crispy tails. My grandmother did them in seasoned flour, not corn meal, but the same idea. The crispy tails were the best.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So: chicken skin, pork crackling, fat, bacon rind, fish skin and fish bones?

Chicken skin: of course I eat that. Why wouldn't you? Especially from roast chicken.

Pork crackling: When I was a child I used to like that, but I don't any more. It's a quite unsatisfactory combination of chewy stuff stuck to unchewably hard.

Fat: it depends. Not neat, but mixed with meat, yes.

Bacon rind: seldom get that any more. I would if I got it.

Fish skin: only if cooked to a crisp.

Fish bones: only in whitebait.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I can't imagine getting a bowl of fried wing sections and meticulously stripping the skin from each before eating it.

I confess that the only reason I can see for eating chicken wings is a sense of completeness. Or if for some reason when you're eating a chicken drumstick you find yourself thinking, what this really needs is more bones and gristle.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I can't imagine getting a bowl of fried wing sections and meticulously stripping the skin from each before eating it.

I confess that the only reason I can see for eating chicken wings is a sense of completeness. Or if for some reason when you're eating a chicken drumstick you find yourself thinking, what this really needs is more bones and gristle.
They're so tender and tasty and the yummy skin to meat ratio is awesome!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Chicken drumstick or chicken wing? There's virtually no meat at all on chicken wings, they're just a waste of time and money. You'd be lucky if you got an ounce off them.

Chicken drumsticks are good, once the skin's removed. They're not very filling, but not half as unsubstantial as wings.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... there are people who like kippers, of course ...

I think I'd be one of them if it weren't for the bones - I just find them way too fiddly.

As for fat, skin, crackling etc., I'll eat the skin of a roast chicken in small quantities, but if it comes away by itself it gets consigned to the stock-pot with the bones. I'd prefer not to eat the solid rim of fat that you get round a steak, although it's better left in place for cooking as it makes it more juicy. I have fond memories of cutting the fat off a steak and passing it over to my dad, who loved it, and Mum asking me if I was trying to give him a heart-attack ... [Big Grin]

You can keep pork crackling - I'm not wild about pork anyway, and I'd rather leave the crackling for someone who appreciates it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'd prefer not to eat the solid rim of fat that you get round a steak, although it's better left in place for cooking as it makes it more juicy.

Trim it off and put it into the pan over a slow heat 10 or 15 minutes before you're ready to cook your steak. The fat will render out, leaving just a crispy residue. Drain off fat leaving just enough to slick the pan. Fry your steak, remove (with the crispy bits) and deglaze the pan with a splash of whatever you have to hand - wine, stock, whisky etc - thereby capturing the flavour from the fat and meat. Reduce and season if need be and you have a jus.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken feet make a lovely broth.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken is advertised as the healthy meat and not even sold with skin on unless you buy a whole one here.

I am confused by the talk of salmon scales. They and rainbow trout (marketted as steelhead trout) don't have significant scales to worry about. We get them either whole and flash frozen, with the rainbows prefered because they don't travel as far. They are a freshwater landlocked fishy and look and taste about the same. We catch some very large ones in Lake Diefenbaker on the South Saskatchewan River. My largest is 12 lbs. The record is 48 lbs.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at primary school I was very proud that I could eat the whole of an apple, including core and pips, leaving only the stalk.

The fact that I regarded this as an achievement should be an indicator of what it tastes like ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

{I'll go away now. You can carry on and laugh about the veggie who doesn't know what he is missing]

You are very welcome to stay.
However I do find vegetarianism unethical.
Eating something that hasn't had a chance to run away just doesn't seem fair.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
There's virtually no meat at all on chicken wings, they're just a waste of time and money. You'd be lucky if you got an ounce off them.

I suppose if you like the taste of chicken and you're on a diet you can use up all the calories you get from eating the chicken wing on getting the meat off the bones in the first place.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
There's virtually no meat at all on chicken wings, they're just a waste of time and money. You'd be lucky if you got an ounce off them.

I suppose if you like the taste of chicken and you're on a diet you can use up all the calories you get from eating the chicken wing on getting the meat off the bones in the first place.
If you have to fight to get the meat off the bones, they're not cooked enough.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather had a farm. If you killed an animal you used all of it out of respect and for economy. So yes I would eat it all in some form or another. Fish bones for stock. Can not dream of a Sunday batch of fried chicken without the crispy skin. Scale fish eat skin. Pork skin best part of a bar-b-que. Pork fat added to beans when cooking. Yum
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

We have a Chinese fishmonger who buy their fish whole and then fillet it then and there. It means that if you ask for scraps for stock they will gladly give you bucketloads. It makes me wish I had more occasion for fish stock or room to freeze it.

The way to get your chicken to fall off the bone and be crispy is to cook it in a foil tent, then uncover, baste and ramp up the temperature for the last half hour.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken feet are a drug on the market in the US, where there is not much appetite for them outside of Asian circles. The Bush administration adjusted trade regulations so that extra chicken feet could be shipped frozen to China, where they enjoyed a brisk sale and were all made into soup with black mushrooms, or stewed into submission with preserved black beans. As a result GWB is known as 'Chicken Foot' in Asian restaurant circles.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had not seen chicken feet for sale until about 7 years ago. I try to avoid the chiller they are displayed in as the look of them turns my stomach, along with fish heads and offal.

In theory I can respect the idea of eating the whole animal, in practice I only do this with whitebait.

Edited to add - crispy bacon rind was one of my childhood favourites.

Huia

[ 25. April 2016, 17:20: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't even realise you could eat chicken skin until I was about 16 because I'd never been given it as a kid. I sometimes eat a bit of crispy skin these days but not often.

However, I was even older when I twigged about eating fish skin and I will eat crispy fish skin happily enough.

With bacon I'll eat some rind if it's crispy but not much because I find it too greasy.

I do appreciate what people say though about not wasting any of an animal once it's killed.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by not entirely me:
I didn't even realise you could eat chicken skin until I was about 16 because I'd never been given it as a kid.

Deprived childhood. I tell you what I miss - gizzards. There used to be a bit of competition between my mother and I as to who would get this dense, chewy but tasty morsel.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's virtually no meat at all on chicken wings, they're just a waste of time and money.

If they have a really ferocious deep frying you can sometimes eat the whole wing past the elbow - skin, bones and all.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm getting flashbacks to the pigeon restaurant in Shatin - whole birds, deep fried. I had a friend who would eat the heads, beak and all.
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I roast a chicken, I put salt on the skin to make it crispy, and I put ginger and garlic on it too. And when the chicken is cooked, I take off all the crispy skin and eat it as a meal in itself. I live alone, so I have it all to myself! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Chicken skin: of course I eat that. Why wouldn't you? Especially from roast chicken.

Because it's the outer wrapping. The packaging. Its purpose is to protect the interior from exposure to the elements. Banana skins, nut shells, vegetable peels, chicken skin, fish skin, pea pods, egg shells, prawn casings, outer leaves on lettuce, the lot. Bin.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has me thinking of what my father called "gunk". If have a whole crab (boiled, i.e.. cooked), and you grab the head at the back, you can pull that off and in the nether reaches of that as well as in the centre of the other half between the gills, is the bits of seaweed, fish the crab has begun to digest, and apparently some of internal organs. I've identified bits of what looks like intestines. It's a lot more tasty than perhaps it sounds. It can be green, orange and colours in between.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Because it's the outer wrapping. The packaging. Its purpose is to protect the interior from exposure to the elements. Banana skins, nut shells, vegetable peels, chicken skin, fish skin, pea pods, egg shells, prawn casings, outer leaves on lettuce, the lot. Bin.

But then there is the zest of citrus fruit, which contains the pure essence of its flavour. Potato skins contain the plant's vitamins. Bread crust. Mange toute and sugarsnap peas.

There is no rule that says the outer layer is automatically inedible. It may very well be the best bit.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

True, but mostly IMO it isn't.

I might also add skin on custard, cocoa and hot milk etc to the list.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

But the skin on a rice pudding? Or the crust of caramelised sugar on a creme brulee?
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With me, hot chocolate never lasts long enough for a skin to form [Smile] and the skin on hot-milky coffee is the main reason I don't like it. IMHO rice pudding, either with or without skin, is an Abomination Before The Lord™.

However, the whole point of crème brûlée is that moment of utter bliss when you break into the caramelised bit with your spoon* and get that orgasmic combination of soft, sweet cream and crunchy, almost bitter topping.

* It's the only pudding which it is permissible to eat with a spoon and no fork. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the school where I teach, they have stopped serving pork crackling, on health grounds. [Mad] [Waterworks]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016