homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is some bible worse than none at all?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is some bible worse than none at all?
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I am involved with a Playgroup that is run as a community outreach by a moderate (by Sydney standards) Evangelical church. At story time sometimes we have bible stories-but mostly not-it's generally standard kid's literature fare.

About half the Mums would identify as Christian-either Evo or RC etc.

One of the stories that gets a running quite often is Jonah and the Whale-we have one of those big book versions of that. I feel uncomfortable with presenting that particular story to women (and kids) who have no knowledge of the bible and without any context. It seems to me that it is hand-picked to show how stupid, gullible and unscientific Christians must be.

So can it be unhelpful to present bible stories at playgroup/kindy etc?Which ones would you include and which ones would you exclude?

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, if you decide not to use a Biblical narrative because it's "unscientific" then you end up with nothing at all. No resurrection, no miracles, no myth. And, while you're at it you should probably skip Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the Narnia Chronicles as well.

If you tell someone the story of Jonah and they think you are saying that there actually was a big fish which swallowed him for three days then I agree there is probably an issue with gullibility. But, it's not Christians who are being gullible but the person you are talking to. Most people are very aware that literature contains fantastical elements that are not real, and will not expect the fish to be any more real than a balroch or Hogwarts.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most important idea in Jonah is that God cares about the people of Nineveh and even their cattle.

The 'swallowed by a big fish' story is a way of grabbing attention. It's fine to present this story to kids as long as you make it clear that God cares about people and animals.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C.S. Lewis once mentioned how the story of Elijah could have been told from the point of view of the bears, who were hungry and then praised God when He kindly provided them a tasty meal of children.
I could imagine the entire story told from the whale's viewpoint. "Okay, I was careless. Mom always said, look before you eat! But I just scarfed this thing down. I was hungry, okay? And it looked edible, right? I like to think of myself as adventurous, a gourmet, you know? But then, dang. The acid reflux, you wouldn't believe. I was in agony. Could barely swim. Three days of it and then, thank God! I was able to hork it back up. Never again. God has ordained the proper things for a whale to eat. I'm sticking to a menu of giant squid from here on out."

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda,

I hope you will expand this 'The Whale & Jonah' telling into a full-length item. I think it's great!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One must imagine a club in the Catskills, and Mel Brooks at the mike. Making prolonged retching and heaving noises as the audience falls out of their chairs. Mimicking the shrill sound of Jonah's voice, muffled in the whale belly. Waving a bottle of Pepto-Bismoll as a prop, pouring a stiff dose of it into a shot glass. "Oy, it gave me such gas. Just a little fellow there, a human being, what could be the harm? And the way he would talk, in there! Shaddup, I yelled, but he wouldn't shaddup..."

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Alan and Moo. An expanded telling would allow you to talk about Jonah 4:11 and God's great heart for all people (and animals)

The Bible story that I would and have hesitated to share with small children is Noah, for the exact opposite reasons. No matter how much fun you can have marching around like animals two by two, it's not worth having to explain God's ferocious anger for the worlds people

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with cliffdweller. The Flood story is terrifying. It's not all cute animals and rainbows. Also on the list of scary stories, I would never tell young children the story of the binding of Isaac. When I would read to my kids from a children's bible, I would always skip that one.

[ 08. June 2016, 03:59: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot depends on what you emphasize and when. I told these stories to my son much younger than I think most of you would, but the emphasis was always on the brighter aspects of the stories, knowing full well that we were going to get deeper and deeper into the darker stuff as he grew.

And I never did trust anybody else's words for telling these stories (for example, a paraphrased Bible storybook), because I didn't trust them to handle it appropriately for the particular child I was dealing with. Different kids have different fears, concerns, and weak spots.

It occurs to me that as adults, maybe all (or almost all) we see IS the dark aspects of these stories. And that's not right of us either, anymore than it's right to look only at the brightness. Abraham & Isaac is the story of a father who loved his son dearly, and a son who trusted and loved his father, and a God who brought them through a hopeless situation--just as much as it is the story of a freaking scary divine demand that looked both unreasonable and unjust. Noah etc. is the story of how God rescued a family and many animals from death just as surely as it is the story of how many other people and animals died in divine judgement. And the exodus is the story of God delivering a nation of slaves to freedom, just as much as it is the story of another nation left bereaved.

If I'm telling these stories to very young children, I'm going to focus on the bright stuff. If I'm working with older children, I'm going to accent that stuff but also start exploring the other stuff, mainly by asking starter questions and letting them go as far as they want to at that point ("How do you think Isaac felt? What about his Dad? Does God always make sense, do you think? What do you do when you're scared and don't understand what's happening?" etc. etc.)

The open-ended questions along with validation of their feelings ("Yeah, that part creeped me out too, I don't understand it" etc.) has worked really well for me with the children I've taught down through the years. It says "It's okay to have questions and worries about the Bible, and you don't have to stifle that." My students come away with growing confidence in their ability to dig into the Bible and wrestle with it--not just the pretty parts, but also the dark parts.

Teaching this way also says we believe that the Bible is incredibly valuable in spite of the difficult parts, even sometimes because of the difficult parts, and we should never give up questioning and trying to understand. Because all truth is from God, and if we're staring into darkness at the moment, we can still trust God to hold on to us and to lead us into light in the end.

And that's a foundation principle we all need, not just when dealing with troubling Bible stories but when dealing with troubling life. Because shutting the Bible and turning away from its challenges doesn't mean we get to be forever happy and skip all the horrible "Why, why, why, God?" issues. Instead it just means we will face those issues for the first time directly, full strength, when they hit us in the face in our own lives, without the preparation and strength the Bible stories can offer.

My child is going to face the question we all face--the "Why would God allow/demand this loss and horror?" question. I can't spare him from that, it happens in every life. Knowing that, I'd rather have him start dealing with it at one remove in the context of Bible story, with Abraham and Isaac--than have him first confront it when his beloved aunt gets ovarian cancer, or his third-grade classmate dies in a helicopter crash, or his mother miscarries the little brother or sister he had hoped for. Those occasions came, all right; but because of Abraham & Isaac (and Noah, and Pharaoh's son,...) he wasn't facing the agony of "Why?" as a complete neophyte. And he had the hope those stories offer (particularly the Christ-hope) to backstop him when he hit the same issue in his own life.

I don't censor or avoid anything in the Bible any longer, since my son hit confirmation age (about 13-14 for us). He's been learning all along how to look at the dark stuff, step by step and line by line. He is aware of some of the worst things that human being can do to one another. But he is also aware of what God is doing to redeem and draw us back to himself. And now the foundation is laid, and I'm glad of it. If I disappear tomorrow (God forbid) he has a strong foundation for dealing with both good and evil, and a strong faith in God to see him through. And that came primarily out of the Bible.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I agree with cliffdweller. The Flood story is terrifying. It's not all cute animals and rainbows. Also on the list of scary stories, I would never tell young children the story of the binding of Isaac. When I would read to my kids from a children's bible, I would always skip that one.

Terrifying kid stories? Cinderella, the step sisters cut off their toes to try to fit the slipper. Brothers Grimm stories. Did earlier generations have a different concept of children's stories? One that wouldn't blink at a deadly flood or a father almost killing his son?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather think the fairy tales (the real ones, the grim/Grimm type) serve something of the same purpose. They allow kids to confront (at a distance) the kinds of darkness they are going to meet face-to-face in their lives and have to cope with. Which is why I prefer Grimm to Disney, which is basically anathema in my house. At least the princess crap, certainly. (Why yes, I had a discussion with my son about some of the more gruesome medieval fairytales just last week. He ate them up, of course. Kids. Bloody-minded little monsters.)

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, if you decide not to use a Biblical narrative because it's "unscientific" then you end up with nothing at all. No resurrection, no miracles, no myth. And, while you're at it you should probably skip Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and the Narnia Chronicles as well.

If you tell someone the story of Jonah and they think you are saying that there actually was a big fish which swallowed him for three days then I agree there is probably an issue with gullibility. But, it's not Christians who are being gullible but the person you are talking to. Most people are very aware that literature contains fantastical elements that are not real, and will not expect the fish to be any more real than a balroch or Hogwarts.

I think the people we are speaking to our not biblically literate (and why should they be?) and they have no idea how to make sense of the different genres in the bible-that's rather my point. What are they to make of a story presented as "truth" & how are they to discern that story that isn't true with the story of some guy who rose from the dead. There is no opportunity for exegesis and exposition in story time at Playgroup.

So I'm not choosing NOT to use a biblical narrative because it's unscientific I"m choosing not to use particular biblical narratives because it is too difficult for people to understand them in context given the constraints of this particular context.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have much problem with blood and gore; only have to look at what my kids (at least the older boys gravitate to to know they're already familiar with that.

The problem with many Bible stories is not that, never has been. What I feel very uncomfortable with is exposing them to the idea that God ordered the violence and killing.

I don't know about other people being unable to understand these bits - I don't understand them.

Always has been, always will be, the issue.

[ 08. June 2016, 07:15: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
I think the people we are speaking to our not biblically literate (and why should they be?) and they have no idea how to make sense of the different genres in the bible-that's rather my point.

I didn't think I had suggested that people should be Biblically literate. All I was suggesting is that people are generally familiar with a range of literature where there are fantastical elements that are presented as "true" because of the demands of the story - no one criticises JK Rowling for not adding a parenthetical comment to indicate that magic does not really exist, she expects people to be able to temporarily suspend their knowledge of what is real so as to be able to follow the story. You don't need to understand the particular forms of Biblical literature to do the same with Jonah and the Big Fish, Noah and the Big Boat or Samson and his Big Hair.

quote:

So I'm not choosing NOT to use a biblical narrative because it's unscientific I"m choosing not to use particular biblical narratives because it is too difficult for people to understand them in context given the constraints of this particular context.

Sorry, I took my lead from your statement that the selection of stories seemed to be "hand-picked to show how stupid, gullible and unscientific Christians must be". If you're concerned with comprehensibility then it would seem that you need to question whether it's appropriate to read the Bible at all - because every Biblical narrative is difficult to understand.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

quote:
I rather think the fairy tales (the real ones, the grim/Grimm type) serve something of the same purpose. They allow kids to confront (at a distance) the kinds of darkness they are going to meet face-to-face in their lives and have to cope with. Which is why I prefer Grimm to Disney, which is basically anathema in my house. At least the princess crap, certainly. (Why yes, I had a discussion with my son about some of the more gruesome medieval fairytales just last week. He ate them up, of course. Kids. Bloody-minded little monsters.)
I agree completely. A lot of the stories in the Old Testament are folk tales. Traditional folk tales are often full of violence and pain. Why? Because real life is full of violence and pain and we all have to deal with it. There's no point in pretending that "if you have faith in God everything will be OK". At a deep level Christians believe this is true, but at an everyday level it's complete bollocks. And as Lamb Chopped says, the first time someone who is doing their best to have faith in God finds themselves in a painful situation they are going to need an honest, tough faith to support them rather than a diluted Sunday school version.

Evangeline, don't try to shield kids from the pain and violence. They love it. They need to hear about it. I remember a pre-school Sunday school class where the teacher told us the story of Jeremiah and the well. It's a horrible historical incident, not a folk tale, and I was fascinated and never forgot it (although afterwards I couldn't remember Jeremiah's name and it took me years to find the story in the Bible). Everyone needs to know that the Bible engages with REAL issues.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

This isn't Sunday School though, that's the point. I don't disagree with LC on teaching the bible to kids at Sunday School. Story time at a playgroup for all comers is an entirely different context.
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
If you're concerned with comprehensibility then it would seem that you need to question whether it's appropriate to read the Bible at all - because every Biblical narrative is difficult to understand. [/QB]

That is true, hence my Q" is some bible is worse than none at all?"

Although I would argue that the parables of the Good Samaritan and Prodigal Son are more appropriate choices because, although they are a form of indirect communication people generally understand that they are a story with a moral not a recounting of fact.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, Jonah and the Big Fish is also clearly a story with a moral, and not a recounting of fact. Unless you are completely insane and explicitely teaching it as a recounting of fact I can't see how someone hearing the story will think it is a recounting of fact. I don't see what the problem is there.

Of course, there may be different morals taken from the story, some of whihc may be less helpful. But, whether someone gets the same message as you do from the story is a different issue.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A lot depends on what you emphasize and when. I told these stories to my son much younger than I think most of you would, but the emphasis was always on the brighter aspects of the stories, knowing full well that we were going to get deeper and deeper into the darker stuff as he grew.

And I never did trust anybody else's words for telling these stories (for example, a paraphrased Bible storybook), because I didn't trust them to handle it appropriately for the particular child I was dealing with. Different kids have different fears, concerns, and weak spots.

It occurs to me that as adults, maybe all (or almost all) we see IS the dark aspects of these stories. And that's not right of us either, anymore than it's right to look only at the brightness. Abraham & Isaac is the story of a father who loved his son dearly, and a son who trusted and loved his father, and a God who brought them through a hopeless situation--just as much as it is the story of a freaking scary divine demand that looked both unreasonable and unjust. Noah etc. is the story of how God rescued a family and many animals from death just as surely as it is the story of how many other people and animals died in divine judgement. And the exodus is the story of God delivering a nation of slaves to freedom, just as much as it is the story of another nation left bereaved.

If I'm telling these stories to very young children, I'm going to focus on the bright stuff. If I'm working with older children, I'm going to accent that stuff but also start exploring the other stuff, mainly by asking starter questions and letting them go as far as they want to at that point ("How do you think Isaac felt? What about his Dad? Does God always make sense, do you think? What do you do when you're scared and don't understand what's happening?" etc. etc.)

The open-ended questions along with validation of their feelings ("Yeah, that part creeped me out too, I don't understand it" etc.) has worked really well for me with the children I've taught down through the years. It says "It's okay to have questions and worries about the Bible, and you don't have to stifle that." My students come away with growing confidence in their ability to dig into the Bible and wrestle with it--not just the pretty parts, but also the dark parts.

Teaching this way also says we believe that the Bible is incredibly valuable in spite of the difficult parts, even sometimes because of the difficult parts, and we should never give up questioning and trying to understand. Because all truth is from God, and if we're staring into darkness at the moment, we can still trust God to hold on to us and to lead us into light in the end.

And that's a foundation principle we all need, not just when dealing with troubling Bible stories but when dealing with troubling life. Because shutting the Bible and turning away from its challenges doesn't mean we get to be forever happy and skip all the horrible "Why, why, why, God?" issues. Instead it just means we will face those issues for the first time directly, full strength, when they hit us in the face in our own lives, without the preparation and strength the Bible stories can offer.

My child is going to face the question we all face--the "Why would God allow/demand this loss and horror?" question. I can't spare him from that, it happens in every life. Knowing that, I'd rather have him start dealing with it at one remove in the context of Bible story, with Abraham and Isaac--than have him first confront it when his beloved aunt gets ovarian cancer, or his third-grade classmate dies in a helicopter crash, or his mother miscarries the little brother or sister he had hoped for. Those occasions came, all right; but because of Abraham & Isaac (and Noah, and Pharaoh's son,...) he wasn't facing the agony of "Why?" as a complete neophyte. And he had the hope those stories offer (particularly the Christ-hope) to backstop him when he hit the same issue in his own life.

I don't censor or avoid anything in the Bible any longer, since my son hit confirmation age (about 13-14 for us). He's been learning all along how to look at the dark stuff, step by step and line by line. He is aware of some of the worst things that human being can do to one another. But he is also aware of what God is doing to redeem and draw us back to himself. And now the foundation is laid, and I'm glad of it. If I disappear tomorrow (God forbid) he has a strong foundation for dealing with both good and evil, and a strong faith in God to see him through. And that came primarily out of the Bible.

I totally agree with your approach for older kids-- after about age 6 when they are developing analytical reasoning. At this age it makes sense to talk about what troubles you in a story, affirm the questions and the struggle, and look for where you can see God even in a very dark narrative. I've used that approach with my own kids and the kids I teach, and have found it really really useful in training them to really read God's word. In contrast, some of my much older college students who were raised in conservative churches will have trouble actually reading a biblical text-- any text-- without reading into it what they think it should say. Sometimes to a ridiculous degree. You ask, "what does it say?" and you'll get "Jesus died for our sins" or "God loves you"-- even when the text is an OT story about two men walking down a road. And the scary thing is that otherwise reasonably literate adults can't even see that they're doing that. The actual words on the page just wash right over them.

Which is why I can't agree with your approach of focusing on the "bright side" with younger kids. I'm sure it worked with your own kids, brought up in a home with parents who I'm guessing are regularly discussing these topics at the dinner table, have heard mom & dad struggling with the hard realities of faith in real terms since their infancy. But not all of our kids grow up in that sort of environment, and not all of them are going to be around a year, two years, or three years from now when we want to explore the text more deeply.

My concern about presenting the "bright side" of the Noah story or the Isaac story or the Joshua story is the way it blinds them to the more troubling aspects-- not just now when they're too young to understand them, but later-- much later, even-- when they're adults and able to handle a mature discussion, but are so blind to it, so used to seeing the Noah story as solely about happy cute animals trotting into an ark under a happy non-gay rainbow, that they can't see the bodies floating in the rising sea or hear the cries of the dying sinners. I don't want to teach something to a 3 year old I'm going to have to work that hard to unteach when they're 7 or 10-- or 20. IMHO, it's better to skip these stories with preschoolers (pre-analytic thought) the same way we'd skip some stories that might be on the news this week.

Once they've developed the ability to think analytically, then I think a fuller, more thoughtful approach is great-- exactly like what you've outlined.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I totally agree with your approach for older kids-- after about age 6 when they are developing analytical reasoning. ... Which is why I can't agree with your approach of focusing on the "bright side" with younger kids. I'm sure it worked with your own kids, brought up in a home with parents who I'm guessing are regularly discussing these topics at the dinner table, have heard mom & dad struggling with the hard realities of faith in real terms since their infancy. But not all of our kids grow up in that sort of environment, and not all of them are going to be around a year, two years, or three years from now when we want to explore the text more deeply.

My concern about presenting the "bright side" of the Noah story or the Isaac story or the Joshua story is the way it blinds them to the more troubling aspects-- not just now when they're too young to understand them, but later-- much later, even-- when they're adults and able to handle a mature discussion, but are so blind to it, so used to seeing the Noah story as solely about happy cute animals trotting into an ark under a happy non-gay rainbow, that they can't see the bodies floating in the rising sea or hear the cries of the dying sinners. I don't want to teach something to a 3 year old I'm going to have to work that hard to unteach when they're 7 or 10-- or 20. IMHO, it's better to skip these stories with preschoolers (pre-analytic thought) the same way we'd skip some stories that might be on the news this week.

Once they've developed the ability to think analytically, then I think a fuller, more thoughtful approach is great-- exactly like what you've outlined.

Cliffdweller, it sounds like I didn't manage to explain myself adequately. With a preschooler I'm not going to get into questions about precisely how much of any given story is to be taken as nonfiction, as fairytale, as myth, or whatever. I don't think they distinguish categories very well at that age. But they do love story.

I would simply tell the Bible story, as I might tell any story, and avoid highlighting the grim issues lurking in the background that are so obvious to us adults. Because those exist in pretty much any story worth the reading, biblical or not. Why was Dumbledore so neglectful as to leave a tiny child for years with a family he knew was neglectful and emotionally abusive? And on the doorstep, no less, instead of ringing the bell like a normal person would. Why does Little Red Riding Hood have to walk through the dangerous forest alone at her age, and for that matter, why is Grandmother living alone and not with her family? Something dysfunctional there... Why has nobody taught Goldilocks that home invasion is a) wrong and b) bloody dangerous, particularly when stranger adults come home to find you tucked up in bed waiting to be a victim? And speaking of home invasion, if Santa Claus comes down the chimney, presumably other people can too, and what about their motives? And who's this Tooth Fairy creature with a fetish for the teeth of innocent children, and isn't it rather creepy to have a stranger feeling around under a child's pillow as the child lies there so vulnerably asleep?

You're certainly right that people who fail to think on their own (and are not forced to think by pesky teachers later in life) will probably go on remembering the 3-year-old version of any story they're told, not just the biblical ones. But I don't think that's sufficient reason to deny them any contact with Bible stories now.

Either you (and the church) will see them again as teens/adults, or you won't. If you do, that's the right time to be sifting through the darker implications--and if they balk as you reframe the stories, well, that's the universal plight of teachers everywhere. (I don't WANNA think!) If you DON'T see them again, and they never learn to think more carefully than a 3-year-old, they will at least have that much of their cultural heritage in the back of their heads.

And I can't see how they'd be better off to be wholly ignorant of the Bible than to have a 3-year-old's understanding. It pales in comparison to an adult's understanding, but if they're never going to have that, at least give them the scraps.

quote:
In contrast, some of my much older college students who were raised in conservative churches will have trouble actually reading a biblical text-- any text-- without reading into it what they think it should say. Sometimes to a ridiculous degree. You ask, "what does it say?" and you'll get "Jesus died for our sins" or "God loves you"-- even when the text is an OT story about two men walking down a road. And the scary thing is that otherwise reasonably literate adults can't even see that they're doing that. The actual words on the page just wash right over them.

I fear (or hope, don't know which possibility is most appalling!) that what's really going on is the real-life version of the joke about the children's sermon, where the pastor asks "What's fluffy, eats nuts, and lives up in a tree?" and the kid says, "It sounds like a squirrel, but because this is church, it must be Jesus."

I suspect the problem with the adults you mention isn't so much that they can't read Bible texts and interpret them correctly, but that they can't read at all. Seriously.

I taught college freshmen for some years (eighteen and nineteen-year-olds) and it was amazing to see the disconnect between the printed words on the page and what came out of their mouths when asked to discuss it. Something went very wrong in their education. They kept handing me what they thought was an erudite, literary answer to the discussion question, and all the time I was thinking "What the fuck? What does that even MEAN?"

Clearly all the material for their answer had come out of the immediate environment alone--It's Monday, and I'm in freshman lit, and that's my teacher, so the answer must be "It's talking about alienation in today's modern society." When we had been reading (say) Donne's "To His Mistress, Upon Going to Bed." Sometimes I just had to say loudly "It's SEX, people" and then give them 5 minutes to re-read the poem with the new and surprising data they'd somehow failed to pick up. [Disappointed] [Ultra confused] [Eek!]

Which is all to say, I'd like to hear the same adults explicating another text (say, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty ) before deciding the problem lies with their biblical understanding. [Biased]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Cliffdweller, it sounds like I didn't manage to explain myself adequately. With a preschooler I'm not going to get into questions about precisely how much of any given story is to be taken as nonfiction, as fairytale, as myth, or whatever. I don't think they distinguish categories very well at that age. But they do love story.

I would simply tell the Bible story, as I might tell any story, and avoid highlighting the grim issues lurking in the background that are so obvious to us adults. Because those exist in pretty much any story worth the reading, biblical or not...

No misunderstanding, that's what I thought you were saying. I just disagree with it pedagogically, at least in group Sunday School setting (again, I would imagine the situation with your own kids quite differently).

And I'm certainly not suggesting we leave them bereft of Scripture all together. There's quite a lot of biblical narratives we can share with them that, while not all happy-clappy, don't raise difficult questions that require analytical reasoning. I'm just advocating an age-appropriate screening process. I'm quite sure that none of us include the rape of Dinah or the dismembering of concubines in our toddler preschool curriculum. I'm simply suggesting we can use a similar discretion with stories like Noah that superficially seem child-friendly but actually raise questions that don't work well for concrete thinkers. Again, by age 6 to9 they have developed enough analytical reasoning that you can begin addressing nuance or unanswered questions in a text. But before then I advocate not teaching something you'll have to unteach later.

quote:
You're certainly right that people who fail to think on their own (and are not forced to think by pesky teachers later in life) will probably go on remembering the 3-year-old version of any story they're told, not just the biblical ones. But I don't think that's sufficient reason to deny them any contact with Bible stories now.

Either you (and the church) will see them again as teens/adults, or you won't. If you do, that's the right time to be sifting through the darker implications--and if they balk as you reframe the stories, well, that's the universal plight of teachers everywhere. (I don't WANNA think!) If you DON'T see them again, and they never learn to think more carefully than a 3-year-old, they will at least have that much of their cultural heritage in the back of their heads.

Sure, we all experience that. But as hard as it can be sometimes to get young adults/midlife adults/ any adults to think it is much much harder to get them to rethink. It's very very hard to get people who have always heard Noah one way (happy clappy kids' story of animals cheerfully trotting into non-gay rainbow ark) to think of it entirely differently (nuanced story of death and destruction that raises troubling questions about God's nature). Much much harder than just exposing them to new material.

And the ones who are sharp/insightful enough to read the text and see what it says often feel bamboozled by the preschool version they were fed. It often becomes an issue of trust-- how can I believe a church that will tell toddlers this dark story of death and condemnation is a happy-clappy kids' story? How can I believe in a God of goodness and love when you are able to wrap that in this so obviously unloving a story?

quote:

quote:
In contrast, some of my much older college students who were raised in conservative churches will have trouble actually reading a biblical text-- any text-- without reading into it what they think it should say. Sometimes to a ridiculous degree. You ask, "what does it say?" and you'll get "Jesus died for our sins" or "God loves you"-- even when the text is an OT story about two men walking down a road. And the scary thing is that otherwise reasonably literate adults can't even see that they're doing that. The actual words on the page just wash right over them.

I fear (or hope, don't know which possibility is most appalling!) that what's really going on is the real-life version of the joke about the children's sermon, where the pastor asks "What's fluffy, eats nuts, and lives up in a tree?" and the kid says, "It sounds like a squirrel, but because this is church, it must be Jesus."

I suspect the problem with the adults you mention isn't so much that they can't read Bible texts and interpret them correctly, but that they can't read at all. Seriously.

I taught college freshmen for some years (eighteen and nineteen-year-olds) and it was amazing to see the disconnect between the printed words on the page and what came out of their mouths when asked to discuss it. Something went very wrong in their education. They kept handing me what they thought was an erudite, literary answer to the discussion question, and all the time I was thinking "What the fuck? What does that even MEAN?"

...Which is all to say, I'd like to hear the same adults explicating another text (say, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty ) before deciding the problem lies with their biblical understanding. [Biased]

Yes, it is part of a much larger issue of critical thinking and thoughtful reading. But in my 12 years teaching college students, I have found it far more common and intractable with biblical texts than really any other text. There's just too much training in reading the text in this sanitized preschool way that the words just don't register. I can get very thoughtful responses from them reading a book or article by a theologian who is commenting on a text, but when I ask them to look at the text themselves and notice what the theologian is noticing, what's right there in the words on the page, it's like they are blind to it. And again, it's the conditioning (at least in evangelical churches) to think every single text is about "Jesus dying for your sins/God loves you" and the way they have internalized the preschool message of these biblical texts. It's like reading the story of the Three Little Pigs but leaving out "he huffed and he puffed and he blew the house down". Even if it's not there we'll all see it because we expect to see it.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think y'all are over-thinking this from the point of view of educated individuals and have forgotten what it's like to be kids. The gory bits of the OT have become a problem for me in adulthood; they never were in my childhood.

If (important assumption) one believes that God has chosen to reveal himself through the Bible (with the help of the Spirit) and that the gospel is the power of God for salvation, then one can have some confidence in unleashing the text on anyone and everyone.

I have a truckload of stories from prison of uneducated people who can barely read and wouldn't know what a literary genre was if it hit them in the face who have arrived at important truths about God via reading the oddest pieces of Scripture. That doesn't mean this is a method to be followed, but I don't think we should be holding back from telling Bible stories because we're worried about the effect they might have on people. The Spirit is quite capable of producing the right effect.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[I fear (or hope, don't know which possibility is most appalling!) that what's really going on is the real-life version of the joke about the children's sermon, where the pastor asks "What's fluffy, eats nuts, and lives up in a tree?" and the kid says, "It sounds like a squirrel, but because this is church, it must be Jesus."

My wife has recently marked a couple of pieces of work in which extra-mural theology students were asked to devise a teaching session for children based on the story of Zacchaeus. One was superb; another not only failed to engage with the text at all but had in fact predicated the whole thing on a recollection of the old song "Zacchaeus was a very little man". It can be so difficult cutting through our memories of interpretation and going back to the original text - which isn't to say, of course, that all previous understandings should simply be ignored!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I think y'all are over-thinking this from the point of view of educated individuals and have forgotten what it's like to be kids. The gory bits of the OT have become a problem for me in adulthood; they never were in my childhood.

As nine year-olds in Bible Class we just loved the story of Jael stabbing Sisera with the tent peg!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

As nine year-olds in Bible Class we just loved the story of Jael stabbing Sisera with the tent peg!
Sure, every boy and a lot of girls love the gore. See
the Lego Bible for examples.. Good fun.

But that isn't really what I'm talking about. It's not really the gore I'm objecting to, it's the bad theology that arises when you teach a theologically complex, nuanced story like Noah and the Ark before they are developmentally ready to wrestle with issues of judgment, theodicy, suffering, etc. Again, once they move into analytical reasoning (age 6-9) yes, bring it on and teach them to question and wrestle with the word. But before then, teaching them a sanitized version usually leads to dismissing the whole later on.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm afraid we're just going to have to disagree. Your experience differs; my experience is that those who CAN actually read any text, are not harmed in their later reading by early introduction to Bible texts. If anything the early familiarity helps, as it means we don't have to spend as much time on the simple read-for-comprehension stuff. And while I appreciate the compliment to my child-rearing skills, I don't think it's me. I agree with Eutychus--I've seen the Spirit do amazing things with the most unprepossessing people and texts.

How do I put this without sounding rude? I wonder if some of the problem isn't that you have your own preferences regarding what they discover in the text, and if they don't highlight that stuff (the dark stuff) in their responses, you consider the response to be inadequate. But it might not be. It might be that what they're getting out of it (during their teen/adult years) is exactly what they need at that point. And if it seems childish or immature to you, that might be because you're at a very different point in your life.

Looking back at my own teens and twenties, I don't think I would have gotten into a discussion of the dark stuff--not because I wasn't capable of recognizing it, but because there was so much dark stuff in my own life at that time that I didn't have the bandwidth to take on additional suffering. (This is also why I avoided all the "starving Ethiopians" documentaries and things like Band AID, etc. Not that it wasn't important, but rather that I was sufficiently overwhelmed by my own burdens that I just couldn't cope with more.)

What I needed then was the hopeful, bright aspects. And if you'd asked me to capsulize what I was getting out of the story, it might very well have sounded childish ("God will take care of me" and so forth.) Even today I'm only going to get into the dark stuff when I'm in a relatively calm period of life and have the extra capacity available to deal with it.

But leaving all this aside...

IMNSHO, to refuse to tell children Bible stories (and fairytales, and Greek myths) is to deprive them of their cultural heritage. It makes it that much harder to appreciate anything from high school lit to jokes on the street if you have no acquaintance with Noah, with Adam and Eve, with the crossing of the Red Sea, and so on. I've tried to teach college lit to students who barely recognized Adam and Eve (I know, I gave them a basic knowledge test at the beginning of the course). We spent WAY too much of our limited class time for one (secular!) short story explaining why continual references to dust and clay were references to general human frailty via the story of Adam. I shouldn't have to retell the whole Adam and Eve thing in a Catholic university, surely?

But I did.

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

As for the tent peg--my son just had this story in our family reading, and his take-away as a fifteen-year-old Boy Scout was:

quote:
Don't piss off girls when you're out camping.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

ah, I can't argue with Lamb. [Overused]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Hot and Hormonal]

I love it when I hear some bit of kid theology like the one about girls camping. LL also managed to blurt out something on video during his confirmation prep about Jesus rescuing us from the spiritual toilet (=sin and death), and was mildly mortified when they gave his, er, theological formula a prominent place in the video shown Sunday morning before church. Apparently it took the fancy of several people, as one of the leaders asked him later if they could feature it on some other church thingy--website, maybe? He's mildly proud of it now.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure, every boy and a lot of girls love the gore. See
the Lego Bible for examples.. Good fun.

But that isn't really what I'm talking about. It's not really the gore I'm objecting to, it's the bad theology that arises when you teach a theologically complex, nuanced story like Noah and the Ark before they are developmentally ready to wrestle with issues of judgment, theodicy, suffering, etc. Again, once they move into analytical reasoning (age 6-9) yes, bring it on and teach them to question and wrestle with the word. But before then, teaching them a sanitized version usually leads to dismissing the whole later on.

I'm nearly 50 and I don't think I'm developmentally ready to wrestle with these issues, frankly.

It's why I don't read the Bible much now.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IMNSHO, to refuse to tell children Bible stories (and fairytales, and Greek myths) is to deprive them of their cultural heritage. It makes it that much harder to appreciate anything from high school lit to jokes on the street if you have no acquaintance with Noah, with Adam and Eve, with the crossing of the Red Sea, and so on. I've tried to teach college lit to students who barely recognized Adam and Eve (I know, I gave them a basic knowledge test at the beginning of the course). We spent WAY too much of our limited class time for one (secular!) short story explaining why continual references to dust and clay were references to general human frailty via the story of Adam. I shouldn't have to retell the whole Adam and Eve thing in a Catholic university, surely?

Oh, this is so true. And I don't know what the solution is. It is so hard to teach English lit to people who don't have a basic knowledge of Bible stories, Greek mythology, and folk tales, because so many literary allusions whiz right over their heads. When I discuss with my Grade 12 students what "allusions" are I ask how many know what I'm talking about if I say it's a David-and-Goliath situation. Usually about 1/4 to 1/3 of the class gets it.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reference to culture prompts me to mention this.

When First Nations people hunt, it is common to think of the animal as giving itself to the hunters to sustain them, and like a sacrifice. Prayers of thanks are offered for the animal being willing to give up its life for us. It is not hard to see how the Christ story resonates rather well, including the sharing of Christ's body and blood in eucharist: ...just as the deer freely gives its life for us on earth....

Which prompts me to consider the notion of universality of the human condition no matter how diverse the cultures and languages are.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

When I was in college (knights were bold, then) they had a Bible in Literature class, in which all these basics were gone through as a prelude to English Lit.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the key is to realise the Bible works at multiple levels for different people and at different stages of our lives. There doesn't have to be one definitive theological explanation.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
When I was in college (knights were bold, then) they had a Bible in Literature class, in which all these basics were gone through as a prelude to English Lit.

This reminds me of the omnipresent "Greek mythology in three weeks" units the kids I've worked with go through in middle school. In the hands of less-than-inspired teachers this turns into a stultifying "memorize-the-god(dess) and the attributes" list, and causes much groaning. Not story-based at all.

I got my intro to Greek mythology combing the shelves at my aunt's house when I was about nine. Plenty of fascinating, shocking and salacious stories--all calculated to appeal to a bored nine-year-old. And far more memorable when I needed to remember who all these people were later in English lit, and decode the references.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

quote:

But that isn't really what I'm talking about. It's not really the gore I'm objecting to, it's the bad theology that arises when you teach a theologically complex, nuanced story like Noah and the Ark before they are developmentally ready to wrestle with issues of judgment, theodicy, suffering, etc. Again, once they move into analytical reasoning (age 6-9) yes, bring it on and teach them to question and wrestle with the word. But before then, teaching them a sanitized version usually leads to dismissing the whole later on. [/QB]

YES! This is it exactly.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016