homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck you, Eutychus (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck you, Eutychus
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is not a major crime but it's the smugness and air of superiority that grates.

Also this is a discussion site, and asking questions of one another is part of discussion. Or we could shut the ship down and just google things ourselves. If I want to know your opinion I can google you and read your blog. No need to have a discussion board.

Fuck you.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
This is not a major crime but it's the smugness and air of superiority that grates.

Also this is a discussion site, and asking questions of one another is part of discussion. Or we could shut the ship down and just google things ourselves. If I want to know your opinion I can google you and read your blog. No need to have a discussion board.

Fuck you.

Nah, it's other people's smugness and air of superiority that grates.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Yep. And if my smugness and superiority grates on them, they can call me to Hell. If they have the gonads.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bloody hell, Mousethief, all Eutychus did was post a link answering a question you'd posed about the meaning of a word - in this case a particular brand of toilet paper which a Shipmate had alluded to in relation to the popular saying about bears shitting in the woods.

As I read it, Eutychus was simply being wry and not out to offend your ever so sensitive sensibilities.

If he, or I or anyone else had simply said that Andrex is a brand of toilet tissue would you have called us to Hell?

If you'd alluded - as you and other US posters often do - to a particular brand or product line less familiar to people elsewhere and someone asked you to clarify what you meant, I wouldn't object if they teasingly posted a link with a slight jibe about looking it up for myself.

I see it as an over-reaction on your part but that's as may be.

I also fail to see how it militates against debate. It was an aside. We weren't debating the respective strength, absorbency or other fit-for-purpose arse-wiping qualities of Andrex as opposed to supermarket own brands or other brands that bears might procur for their arboreal ablutions.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sort of on mousethiefs side here (which makes a change).

The Let me google that for you site was set up to make a pointed jibe at someone asking a question. It is rude to provide a link to that - a pas-agg rudeness true, but rude nonetheless.

I think it was perfectly reasonable of MT to ask for clarification of a comment - and get an answer that was in context.

Having said that, MT can be, and has been, an arrogant, rude, and pas-agg twat at times, so there is something of a pot-kettle-colour competition here.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I admit to occasionally seeing a word used here that I don't recognise. But, since it's so easy to Google an unknown word (on my browser it's a simple matter of highlighting the word, and a right click gives me a "search Google for ... " option that gives me the answer in a new tab) I don't usually ask. Of course there are times when the meaning I gain from that is ambiguous and in context could affect what is being said - then it makes sense to ask what exactly is meant. But, using a common brand for loo-roll when giving a variation on the "do bears shit in the woods?" question doesn't affect the discussion.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it had been a link to, say, the Wikipedia article, I'd be prepared to defend Eutychus. By linking to the Let me Google that for you site he made it an "asking questions for clarification invites derision" response. That I do find unacceptable.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm filing this under "Hell Calls So Lame They're Awesome".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
If it had been a link to, say, the Wikipedia article, I'd be prepared to defend Eutychus. By linking to the Let me Google that for you site he made it an "asking questions for clarification invites derision" response. That I do find unacceptable.

A wiki entry would be overkill. The line of images of packs of loo roll with "Andrex" splattered across them that Eutychus provided via Google is more than adequate.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So a link to the image. The point is that the response was 'asking questions shows that you're stupid'.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Asking questions that can be answered in less time than it takes to type them (I just timed it. It took me no more than 10s to get to the Google page with that line of images of loo roll) is a waste of time - yours and everyone elses. I think "stupid" is a perfectly reasonable description.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eutychus IS Doug Piranha!

(Everyone in Britain over the age of 50 chuckles appreciatively. Everyone else just stares.)

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everyone else googles it and stares at the wiki entry you mean.

[ 09. June 2016, 10:05: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Eutychus IS Doug Piranha!

(Everyone in Britain over the age of 50 chuckles appreciatively. Everyone else just stares.)

Except me, that is, I haven't a clue what you're on about. No! Don't tell me! I want to google it myself!
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dinsdale!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Note: This situation has already been worked out, peacefully.)

Trying to find out the definition of a term can be tricky. On the "Why, Justin, Why?" thread in Purg, the word "faculty" was used, over and over, in an Anglican church context. Everyone seemed to know what it meant. I didn't. It clearly didn't mean an ability, or a group of teachers. I checked a British dictionary, but nothing relevant. So I asked on the thread, and got several answers. Q & A solved a very annoying situation.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
So a link to the image. The point is that the response was 'asking questions shows that you're stupid'.

I got no image. Just as well I've seen the ads. And yes, posting that link was insulting. Kick ass, MT. [Biased]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, there is a difference. A common word used in an unfamiliar context is something that would be hard work to find out what that meaning is. Especially if the work has been done to try and work out what it means in that context. None of us worry about helping people understand something, especially when that is central to the discussion.

Not being bothered to take the 10s to Google an unfamiliar word is a different situation. That's just laziness.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tried again, and after a few seconds got a list of answers - or the answer. Still insulting. Keep on kicking ass, MT.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You and me both. I'm Anglican (I suppose ... [Biased] ) but I had no clue what 'faculty' meant in the context of that thread.

Perhaps my ego is bigger than Mousethief's in that I was too proud to post a question asking for qualification.

Whatever the case, let's not get into an ego-waving contest.

[Help]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Kicking ass? Sounds like you're licking ass, Jacobsen ...

I mean, c'mon. If someone Googled 'faculty' they'd get all manner of references that would need interpreting, placing in context, further investigation ...

When you Google 'Andrex' all you can possibly come up with are details of what we used to call 'bog rolls' when I was a kid.

I mean c'mon. It's not fucking difficult.

If Eutychus deserves a 'fuck you' from Mousethief then Mousethief deserves a 'Suck it up you lazy tosser ...' from the rest of us.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wish I'd just said "arse-wipe" now...

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Dinsdale!

Definitely Doug.

Vercotti: Doug (takes a drink) Well, I was terrified. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug.

2nd Interviewer: What did he do?

Vercotti: He used... sarcasm.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gamaliel--

Well, I looked up Andrex, earlier in this thread. However, I used DuckDuckGo, as I usually do. In addition to toilet paper, there's the puppy from their ads, an actor, a conduit manufacturer, a real estate holding company, music, LinkedIn listings, a drug...

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think it was perfectly reasonable of MT to ask for clarification of a comment - and get an answer that was in context.

Having said that, MT can be, and has been, an arrogant, rude, and pas-agg twat at times, so there is something of a pot-kettle-colour competition here.

Two things.

When I am agg, I am usually act-agg.

If people think I am being arrogant, rude, or agg, they can call me to Hell. And have. Don't like my behavior? Too lazy to call me to hell? Suck it up, dearie.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Re. lazy: Using "Let Me Google That For You" is the definition of lazy for someone who wants to be snarky but lacks the ability to come up with something snarky on their own. For people with the will but without the means. Too lazy or too stupid to think up something snarky to say, they let somebody else (makers of the website) be snarky for them.

Calling me lazy in this context is toooooo funny.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Gamaliel--

Well, I looked up Andrex, earlier in this thread. However, I used DuckDuckGo, as I usually do. In addition to toilet paper, there's the puppy from their ads, an actor, a conduit manufacturer, a real estate holding company, music, LinkedIn listings, a drug...

Smart-arse.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:
Re. lazy: Using "Let Me Google That For You" is the definition of lazy for someone who wants to be snarky but lacks the ability to come up with something snarky on their own. For people with the will but without the means. Too lazy or too stupid to think up something snarky to say, they let somebody else (makers of the website) be snarky for them.

Ok, let's forget 'lazy' then, how about hyper-sensitive?

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What does "snarky" mean? And who is Dane Cook?
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Gamaliel--

Smart-arse.
[Smile] Hey, you're the one who proclaimed there couldn't possibly be any other results!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It's not about the number of results. It's about how easily the answer to the question is reached. And, when the question is "what does Andrex mean?" following a post that finishes with a comment about bears in woods then the loo-roll will be immediately obvious as the right answer in the context of the question. If the loo-roll is on the first page of whatever search engine you use then that's good enough.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

How about couldn't sleep, got up early, posting while caffiene level low?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If people think I am being arrogant, rude, or agg, they can call me to Hell. And have. Don't like my behavior? Too lazy to call me to hell? Suck it up, dearie.

That is why I am in two minds about this call, because usually this sort of behaviour doesn't warrant a call. It doesn't mean it isn't irritating. It is just part of being a community.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I really don't have much to add to that pithy appraisal.

And at least I can cross having my own personal call to Hell off my bucket list.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

1. Very funny.
2. Not funny.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

You could google that.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

I really don't have much to add to that pithy appraisal.

And at least I can cross having my own personal call to Hell off my bucket list.

Congrats!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
That is why I am in two minds about this call, because usually this sort of behaviour doesn't warrant a call. It doesn't mean it isn't irritating. It is just part of being a community.

I think this is a misunderstanding of what Hell is for. Hell is not for having knock-down drag-out fights, so that if Alexander Hamilton wouldn't consider it duel-worthy, it shouldn't have a hell call. This is the inane attitude that leads people to rate hell calls on some kind of scale, like construction workers putting numbers on women walking by.

The purpose of Hell is to contain the personal. Even if the personal is mere irritation, if it is going to be aired, it belongs in Hell and not somewhere else.

And Eutychus needed to hear that his prickish passive-aggressive "let me google that for you" was the behavior of a horse's ass. I'm not going to put water in his gas tank over it. But I am going to tell him. And the only place to tell him is here.

Don't like it? There are over a hundred other threads on the ship. Ta-ta. Don't let the door hit your backside, fuckwit.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief, emphasis mine:
The purpose of Hell is to contain the personal. Even if the personal is mere irritation, if it is going to be aired, it belongs in Hell and not somewhere else.

Do you seriously think people should get called to Hell every time they provoke mere irritation?

You are a past master in provoking "mere irritation" that manages (usually) to sneak in under the radar of the Ten Commandments, and I'm sure your response if you were to be called down here every time you do it would be, um, outrage.

But if you feel you're being given just one poke back*, however mild the irritation it seems you just have to drag the perpetrator down here and pour invective on them.

==

*Or deem you are not being supplied, for any post on any thread, with a complete, exhaustive, customised brief on the backstory, meaning and context of every subject mentioned, even in passing or in jest, tailored to augment, enhance, and benefit (in doses to your exact taste), your personal precise level of knowledge on the matter and terminology in hand. I just realised you have form on this.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Perhaps we need to call people to Hell for the mild irritation of them interrupting a discussion with a question that Google would have answered in less time than it takes for the question to be asked. The irritation of having to scroll past a stupid question to get back to the discussion.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:
quote:
quote:

How about couldn't sleep, got up early, posting while caffiene level low?
I thought Sioni's explanation was the most rational, charitable and likely under the circumstances, until I read Mousethief's subsequent posts.

I'm hardly the one to talk, but I've always found the following aphorism to be good advice, 'If you're in a hole, stop digging.'

Now Mousethief simply sounds like a petulant hissy-fit cheerleader on an outing of the Petulant Hissy-Fit Cheerleaders' Association.

Everyone's individual mileage varies, as they say here aboard Ship, but I'd have thought the most Eutychus's interjection would have caused would be mild irritation at the most.

I agree with Doc Tor. This has to be one of the lamest Hell-Calls I've yet seen.

Frankly, I'm also surprised. I like Mousethief and thought he could do better than this.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But I am going to tell him. And the only place to tell him is here.

Or a PM. Which is much more appropriate.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not really, pms are governed by the same rules as the rest of the boards. Telling someone to go f themselves in a pm would be severely frowned on I believe.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Now Mousethief simply sounds like a petulant hissy-fit cheerleader on an outing of the Petulant Hissy-Fit Cheerleaders' Association.

Whoa, pot and kettle time! At least my hissy fits aren't novellas.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Just because you write more succinctly doesn't mean you don't write shite at times.

Not always, of course ...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Just because you write more succinctly doesn't mean you don't write shite at times.

Not always, of course ...

I try to be considerate of my detractors; it takes them far less time to scroll past me.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Indeed; you are not soft, strong, and very very long.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you suggesting that mousethief is the Ship's Izal?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's Izal?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Just don't attempt to use the shiny side.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016