homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coping pot-luck

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Coping pot-luck
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Styx thread on which coping issues are mentioned, and Golden Key suggested a Coping pot-luck thread. Now, whether this turns out to be a genuine how-I cope or how-can-I cope in specific circumstances does rather depend on the kind of responses, if any, which are made. It may end up as a Heavenly, or even a Circus thread, or simply sink without trace into the Sea of Galilee.

The field is open for comment.

How do I cope after a week away and a heap of washing to do? Especially when I have a less than 24 hour turnaround before taking off again? It's not unknown to head for my local Sainsbury to lay in a stock of new knickers. The alternative of washing late into the night and early morning is liable to annoy the neighbours, who have this unreasonable preference for a decent night's sleep.

This adds procrastination and an overflowing knicker drawer to the list of things to be coped with.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you got a quick wash on your machine? (You do have a machine???) Wash what you absolutely NEED quickly, leave everything else. I have a stash of knickers in a spare space which I can call on if absolutely necessary. Also bras.

You could ask the neighbours if you could use their washing machine to save making a noise at night! [Help]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Launderette - they take huge loads [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pot luck is a coping issue for me. That's what I thought this thread was about. I thoroughly dislike them and take the easiest way out possible in the way of contributions (either a bag of crisps or a container of washed, mixed grapes). We have them at work meetings and people have travelled some distance to get there. Eat quiche and sausage rolls that have been in the hot car/train/bus for several hours? No thank you! [Projectile]

How to cope? Any suggestions welcome. My current strategy is to moan every time it's mentioned and consume only the crisps and grapes.

Nen - Grumpy Old Woman Extraordinaire.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Now, whether this turns out to be a genuine how-I cope or how-can-I cope in specific circumstances does rather depend on the kind of responses, if any, which are made. It may end up as a Heavenly, or even a Circus thread, or simply sink without trace into the Sea of Galilee.

I'm not sure that Heaven is quite the place to wash your dirty laundry...

quote:
How do I cope after a week away and a heap of washing to do? Especially when I have a less than 24 hour turnaround before taking off again? It's not unknown to head for my local Sainsbury to lay in a stock of new knickers.
Oh, dear. Wash out a few things and let them dry overnight. Blast them with the hairdryer if they look like taking too long.

When you're away wash out a couple of small things each evening and let them dry overnight. If you're somewhere with a heated towel rail, so much the better: put them on top of the towel and they'll be done by morning. Otherwise, the hairdryer is your friend.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How do I cope after a week away and a heap of washing to do? <<snip>> This adds procrastination and an overflowing knicker drawer to the list of things to be coped with.

You can laugh at silly old Miss Amanda, but she's said it before and she'll say it again. Disposable undies are the traveler's blessing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
When you're away wash out a couple of small things each evening and let them dry overnight. If you're somewhere with a heated towel rail, so much the better: put them on top of the towel and they'll be done by morning. Otherwise, the hairdryer is your friend.

Absolutely! I love heated towel rails and wish we had them in the U.S. (We may well do in some places, but I've never come across them.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
You can laugh at silly old Miss Amanda, but she's said it before and she'll say it again. Disposable undies are the traveler's blessing.

Also, save up old, worn undies throughout the year. Pack up the ones that only have a few wears left in them before they disintegrate, and wear those when you travel. Toss them before you come home. (More friendly to the environment than disposables.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These days, my holiday plans usually involve staying with relatives who have washing-machines*, so I try to do a load as shortly before we leave as possible, as I absolutely hate travelling with used undies in my suitcase.

* When we're back in Blighty there are People Who Must Be Visited. Not that we mind that, but it usually means that there's little reason to accumulate a load of laundry.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How do I cope after a week away and a heap of washing to do? Especially when I have a less than 24 hour turnaround before taking off again?

You personally? Surely a week's laundry doesn't exceed the capacity of your washing machine?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have done this with tee shirts. When we went to visit China it was clear that many souvenir tee shirts were in our future. So I packed all the ones that were old, faded, uninteresting or nearly outgrown. These were abandoned and replaced with the souvenir tees.

This also works with books, if you must travel with real paper books and not e-books. Get cheap used paperbacks, and abandon them as you go. Replace them in your case with souvenirs.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I have done this with tee shirts. When we went to visit China it was clear that many souvenir tee shirts were in our future. So I packed all the ones that were old, faded, uninteresting or nearly outgrown. These were abandoned and replaced with the souvenir tees.

This also works with books, if you must travel with real paper books and not e-books. Get cheap used paperbacks, and abandon them as you go. Replace them in your case with souvenirs.

Yes to both. Especially if you stay somewhere that has some sort of book exchange. I can't bear to throw a book in the trash, but I can happily leave it for someone else.

I also do the same thing with worn t-shirts as I do with worn undies. I've even been known to abandon a pair of shoes when I know I'll never wear them again.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always brings to mind the hymn - 'And Zion in her anguish with Babylon must cope'.

Hardly a day passes that doesn't see me collapse sofawards, hand to head, muttering 'See they Babylon? Does ma heid in'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

In desperate times I wash undies etc. in the sink by hand and hang them over the bathtub. It doesn't take much to put together one day's worth of clothes this way, said day to be spent, er... doing laundry.

I have my doubts about the wisdom of buying undies and wearing them unwashed. Have you seen the places where those things get sewn and packed?

As for office potlucks etc. Eat before you come. It's the only way. [Projectile]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Disposable books....and how to cope with a partner who simply loves long motor bike journeys. Best one I've heard yet is the woman who was bored out of her brain by having to ride pillion for days on end and so she would work out how many books to pack in the saddle bags. Was it a one book journey, a two book journey or maybe three?

Holding the book against the riders back was not a problem, but turning pages at 100kph certainly was. She came up with the solution of simply ripping each page out when she had finished it, and "returning it to the earth" by crumpling and tossing it as they rode.

I guess that's what you call a novel solution!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BL, kindly take a seat at the back of the class!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am backpacking this year on holiday. That means packing light. My luxury item is a Scrubba and I also pack the other items for clothes washing (soap, travel towel, travel washing line and bags (wet and damp)). It means I travel with probably a third of the clothing I otherwise would need (2 knickers, socks, and bra rather than 12 (I am walking so hot and sweaty at the end of each day), a dry change of most other items only). It also means that if I was going on somewhere else, washing when I get home is easy. Actually, I do not even need to do it, I have enough clean other stuff at home I can just pack with fresh. Yes I could just wash in the sink, I just find the Scrubba easier and with my packing style I would need to pack an overall clothes washing bag anyway.

Jengie

[ 16. August 2016, 09:36: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Less Than.... 24hrs?
I think that you are doing great!

The only thing to add to the mix is that when buying undies at late night supermarkets, choose those that dry swiftest.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, here's another tip. Shamelessly exploit the postal and shipping services. You foolishly fell in love with a twelve-volume set of the works of H. Rider Haggard in a bookstore in Wales? Have them ship them to Minneapolis for you, and your luggage will still be heft-able. You undertook to show up at the wedding with six champagne coupes decorated with the happy couple's initials? Pack them in foam and ship them instead of relying upon the airline luggage handlers to be hind to your bag. Your parents gave you a rug, 10x12 and weighing more than two men? Do not rent a car and drive it, ship!
When in doubt, lighten the load!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, here's another tip. Shamelessly exploit the postal and shipping services.

Posting anything isn't cheap, you know. It can cost about twice the cost of the actual item to post something over here.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Well of course you have to consider that. But remember that an overweight suitcase gets you fined by the airlines.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well of course you have to consider that. But remember that an overweight suitcase gets you fined by the airlines.

...but they never weigh your clothing [Devil]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The solution is obviously a coat of many pockets, all of which are big enough to hold a book. They don't weigh you when you check in, only your hold luggage (unless you're flying with Ryanair, I suppose). That leaves more space in your carry-on bag for essential medication, more books, overnight gear, extra books in case you run out of things to read, mobile phone charger, one or two more books that you can't live without...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I normally pack light and leave room in my bag for things to bring back.

It was a waste of time on my last trip as I was unable to get the things I was looking for, but there we go.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

When I went to China I disdained the usual souvenirs. I sought something special, and I found it -- a joint of bamboo about the length and thickness of my thigh. It is carved into the shape of a squash blossom bud, leaves and all. But what it really looks like is perhaps the submarine Nautilus, or perhaps Cthulhu -- something with tentacles. I was immediately enamored and bought it (from a booth in the Muslim market in Xian). To get it home involved carrying it in my arms like a baby -- it was not really possible even to get it into a standard suitcase.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We resorted to that when bringing a specimen of potted black bamboo back from Los Angeles.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were flying back from Boston Logan just after 9/11, and the security guards were understandably twitchy. I went through the security gate - no problems. Other Half's rucksack went through the X-ray... then came back for another pass... then stopped while the guard called her supervisor over. There was an awful pause... during which I was shaking in my boots and wondering if I should have had the British consulate on speed dial. Was he about to be dragged off for interrogation by the CIA?

Then they all started laughing. They'd spotted our souvenir model boat, which we had carefully packed with lots of padding inside Other Half's carry-on bag. Phew.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On one occasion I washed a couple of shirts in the hotel sink and hung them on clothes hangers on the ceiling fan as it spun. Not entirely successful in tropical humidity, I must admit, but the best I could do lacking a hair dryer.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You should have seen the fun Mr. Lamb and his brother had, toting a cooler full of frozen mother's milk through airport security. (My niece was having trouble producing enough for her son, born a week earlier than mine.)

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Have you got a quick wash on your machine? (You do have a machine???) Wash what you absolutely NEED quickly, leave everything else. I have a stash of knickers in a spare space which I can call on if absolutely necessary. Also bras.

You could ask the neighbours if you could use their washing machine to save making a noise at night! [Help]

I have a machine. It's the drier which is unsocially noisy. And this summer has been so humid at times that stuff just didn't dry naturally. I have learned to bless the airing cupboard which was standard issue in this just-post-WW2 house. However, the big trip is now over - only weekends away to go before term starts.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my youth I backpacked around part of the middle-east and learned then the value of the old mantra one on, one off and one for the wash, that linen towels were a far less bulky choice than cotton (this was pre-microfibre) and that Baby shampoo will double as detergent and/or body-wash. I've only had to use hold luggage once in the last 15 years [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After some time watching this, hosts have decided it probably fits in better in Heaven than here, So grab your towels and spare undies and off we go.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
[Big Grin]

In desperate times I wash undies etc. in the sink by hand and hang them over the bathtub. It doesn't take much to put together one day's worth of clothes this way, said day to be spent, er... doing laundry.

My tip for washing and drying undies overnight in the absence of a heated towel rail or hairdryer .... wash them then roll tightly in a towel to absorb as much moisture as possible. Then lay another towel, or the bathmat, whatever, on the floor, place item on one half, double over on top, and stomp up and down on it to absorb even more water. Hang them up and they will be dry (or nearly) by morning.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shades of my mother coping in a terraced house in the 1950s: woollens were put to dry between layers of newspaper under the hearthrug. The rest of the washing was either hanging from a pulley on the ceiling or draped over the fireguard.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
My tip for washing and drying undies overnight in the absence of a heated towel rail or hairdryer .... wash them then roll tightly in a towel to absorb as much moisture as possible. Then lay another towel, or the bathmat, whatever, on the floor, place item on one half, double over on top, and stomp up and down on it to absorb even more water. Hang them up and they will be dry (or nearly) by morning.

On one trip I actually took an old bath towel with me for that purpose, since I knew I'd be washing fairly new blue jeans and didn't want to stain the hotel's towels. That towel was something else that could be tossed before I came home.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nenya posted
quote:
Pot luck is a coping issue for me. That's what I thought this thread was about. I thoroughly dislike them and take the easiest way out possible in the way of contributions (either a bag of crisps or a container of washed, mixed grapes)
I bet you are not alone. Suggest that each person put in x- amount of money and you will order lunch for all.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016