homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Thanksgiving American Shipmates!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Thanksgiving American Shipmates!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently it is déclassé to give thanks unto the Lord. But, to quote Paul McCartney, "here I go again."

Therefore I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the nations, and I will sing praises to your name.

Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name, make known his deeds among the people.

Give thanks to the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endures forever.

Sing to the LORD, you saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

To the end that my glory may sing praise to you, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

To you, O God, do we give thanks, to you do we give thanks: for your wondrous works declare that your name is near.

It is a good thing to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to your name, O most High:

Rejoice in the LORD, you righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

Give thanks to the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endures forever.

At midnight I will rise to give thanks to you because of your righteous judgments.

[T]he tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, to the testimony of Israel, to give thanks to the name of the LORD.

Give thanks to the God of gods: for his mercy endures forever.

Give thanks to the Lord of lords: for his mercy endures forever.

Give thanks to the God of heaven: for his mercy endures forever.

Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name: the upright shall dwell in your presence.

We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;

In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

I will give you thanks in the great congregation: I will praise you among the multitudes.

So we your people and sheep of your pasture will give you thanks forever: we will shew forth your praise to all generations.

[T]hose beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who lives forever and ever….

We give you thanks, O Lord God Almighty, who is, and was, and is to come; because you have taken to yourself your great power, and have reigned.

That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all your wondrous works.

Offer to God thanksgiving; and pay your vows to the Most High.

I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.

Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful to him, and bless his name.

Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise on the harp to our God.

Be anxious for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving

Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be to our God for ever and ever.

------------------------------
*of lower(ed) class

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am thankful for my family and a warm home and a job and a beautiful white dog and even the SOF.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am thankful for family and friends and mindful of those working this day to keep us all safe and well. Lord hear our gratitude.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thankful for a wonderful wife, a son whose first year of college is going well, a daughter who is in a much better high school situation than she was a year ago, a job, and a dog who has been very sick but who is now showing signs of improvement, and for great memories of Thanksgiving with family no lager with us. mousethief, thank you for the psalm—it reminded me of my mother having someone read Psalm 136 before Thanksgiving dinner, with all of us responding to each verse 'for his steadfast love endures for ever."

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to have that tradition.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lovely day, seeing my wonderful daughter and her husband, my two brothers, and my aunt, and a delicious meal at a very scenic restaurant.

I'm thankful for my family, my cats, especially the medicine that keeps them healthy, that I have a good job, and a good place to live.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Thanksgiving dinner with friends. There were seven of us there.

Our host, who used to be a maker of stringed instruments, has developed dementia and can no longer make the necessary calculations. In the past, he did not talk much about his work, but now that he can't do it anymore, he explained it to us (those who were interested), in great detail.

He is getting ready to sell all his equipment and his wood. He made the backs of his cellos from one piece of carefully selected wood, and did the same with the front. He said that a piece of wood suitable for a cello back costs $1500. I don't know how much the wood for the front costs. Someone asked if he ever spoiled a piece of wood, and he said yes.

He is remarkably peaceful and sweet-tempered about his disability, and his wife is very loving and supportive. It's a sad situation, but much less sad when you see it than it is when you think about it.

It was a nice day.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my first Thanksgiving since returning from Kenya where we didn't mange to celebrate. As we are based in the UK and our children and spouses all work we have had to move the celebration to tomorrow but I am still excited. Cranberries for the salad mould are happily bubbling on the stove top. [Smile]

I am thankful for so many, many things especially my dual nationality and the richness it brings to my life.
Hope all you Shipmates have had a good Holiday.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I would love to have that tradition.

Help yourself. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016