homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hostly interpretations

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hostly interpretations
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

An assertion that a post or posts involve condoning violence is legitimate under Commandment 3.

Jamat

Final warning. You must recalibrate your understanding of the Commmandment 3 boundary.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host [/QB]

Hi Barnabas 62:
I have no problem with your rulings and do not wish to get on the wrong side of any host. I do acknowledge that my comment was a C3 violation so apologies and I acknowledge your final warning.

As a point of discussion.

My comment was a counterpunch.

The post I responded to clearly implied that the view he assumes I hold, supports terrorism.
This is not something I should let pass.

IF someone posts an opinion of a position which suggests that anyone who holds that position must necessarily subscribe to something (like approving of terrorism) then that is also C3 violation IMV.

BTW I think you guys do a fantastic job!
Regards,
Jamat

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I read your comment as a 'counterpunch'. In Purgatory, 'counterpunching' is normal, provided that it is by means of counter-argument. Whereas in Hell you can get as personal as you like.

I stand to be corrected as always by an Admin ruling. Gamaliel's assertion, to which you took exception, was easily challenged in Purgatory by a simple question. 'What did I post which makes you assert that my posts condone violence?'. That's a powerful 'counterpunch' which doesn't cross the personal attack boundary.

You may also, at least initially, have read Gamaliel's assertion as a personal attack rather than a criticism of your posts. But even if you were right about that, and I am wrong about it, you still cannot respond by a personal attack 'counterpunch' in Purgatory. You can only do that in Hell.

Another option you always have if you feel you have been attacked personally is to send a PM to a Host requesting a ruling on the post you question. That doesn't rule out you querying the post further in the Styx if you want to.

I have looked again at the post by Gamaliel to which you took exception and stand by my ruling that his post did not break Commandment 3 guidelines.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put simply, Purgatory isn't a school play ground. "But, he started it!" isn't a justification for pushing the boundaries of C3.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016