homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Same-sex marriage and the Anglican Church of Canada

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Same-sex marriage and the Anglican Church of Canada
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Caissa posted the following on the Canadian thread in All Saints, but it really belongs here in Dead Horses:

The Anglican Dioceses of Ottawa and Montreal are going to move ahead with same-sex marriages.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/anglican-diocese-ottawa-same-sex-marriage-1.3673521

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And....that's no longer necessary because the ACof Canada just did a recount and the item has now passed.

[ 12. July 2016, 20:39: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a phrase about an alcoholic celebration in a house of brewing?

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should also be noted that a change to the canon requires votes in two successive General Synods, so it won't be (in theory) effective until 2019. Others have commented that at least two bishops were going ahead, even when they thought that the motion had been defeated.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that the Chancellor has opined that there is nothing in the marriage canon as written that precludes same-sex marriages from taking place in the ACC.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
And....that's no longer necessary because the ACof Canada just did a recount and the item has now passed.

Sort of - +Ottawa and +Toronto at least have indicated that even with the corrected result, they will put things into motion now, and not wait for 2020.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
I understand that the Chancellor has opined that there is nothing in the marriage canon as written that precludes same-sex marriages from taking place in the ACC.

I read the Chancellor's statement and am puzzled as to his thinking. I don't know where the Chancellor got this from-- he may not have read Canon XXI carefully; in the preface, which is directive in intent, there are two specific references to husband and wife. As well, the marriage rite itself (p. 564) in the BCP, which remains the authoritative standard of doctrine and practice, also refers to man and woman.

This is why amendments to Canon XXI were required-- if there had been nothing in the canon precluding same-sex marriage, then they could have left it alone and just done a mind-of-the-synod motion, needing just the support of one synod vote, and not two successive synods.

[ 13. July 2016, 17:49: Message edited by: Augustine the Aleut ]

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So does this mean that the Canadian Anglican Church is due a visit by African Primates or are they already being pushed aside?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
So does this mean that the Canadian Anglican Church is due a visit by African Primates or are they already being pushed aside?

I think ACNA is already stomping around Canada so GAFCON are fully prepared to start pretending that the Anglican Church in Canada isn't Anglican.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

What is more relevant than ACNA's stomping around-- a topic on which I have become far more versed that I like after their Ottawa antics-- is how the two-three Arctic aboriginal-majority dioceses respond. The Bishop of the Yukon left Synod complaining about how the dissenting minority was treated and I know that at least one of the Arctic bishops is most unhappy. I hear varying opinions about how the near-Arctic aboriginal-heavy dioceses are responding.

Those outside Canada might not be aware that Canadian dioceses retain a high degree of autonomy and that, generally, national canons do not apply unless accepted by dioceses.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The comments from Abp Fred Hiltz re bullying during the synod make me want to know more: who, what about - is it this?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very informative article on the man who, before the vote was taken, invoked a clause to require a recorded vote. Without this, the motion would have remained defeated.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/egan-how-a-gay-ottawa-anglican-got-the-same-sex-marriage-vote-overturned/

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from Susie Leafe, who were the other members of GS who refused to take-part in the Shared Conversations sessions?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
A very informative article on the man who, before the vote was taken, invoked a clause to require a recorded vote. Without this, the motion would have remained defeated.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/egan-how-a-gay-ottawa-anglican-got-the-same-sex-marriage-vote-overturned/

How sad the comments underneath, and how ignorant some are. I think there is one reference in the Bible to the destruction of Sodom being for men wanting to rape angels, and the rest are about the breach of the laws of hospitality. (I may not have the education in the Bible that some here do, but I bothered to read it for myself on this subject.)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016