homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Steve did the Job on tax avoidance didn't he?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Steve did the Job on tax avoidance didn't he?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apple must pay €13 plus interest in tax avoidance.

What on earth is going on when each regular person and company has to pay their tax but megacorps don't? Immoral, wrong, and should be criminal.

We have the same problem in Canada with Cameco which engineered a scheme to sell minerals to a Swiss subsidiary at fire sale prices, which in turn sells them on the world market for the real price.

I don't own any Apple anything, and don't intend to. Do you own an Apple device? Is this at all okay with you? Are you going to get another Apple electro-thing? How do you justify that?

[ 01. September 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know the Euro is doing well but I think it is more than 13 Euro. 13Bn.

Actually, I think it is a perfect example of things working well. There was a deal that seemed good for all, but the EU ["What have the EU ever done for us?"] have taken a look and said it is unfair. So they need to repay.

To my mind, that is what the EU is for. It should do more like this. I don't buy Apple products, but for different reasons. I doubt that most of the global manufacturers are any better.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tim Cook: "Maddening". "Politically motivated". Personally outraged. Absolutely did nothing wrong. "No one did anything wrong here.". "Here is the truth. In that year [2014] we paid $400m to Ireland and that amount of money was based on the statutory Irish income tax rate of 12.5%.".

BBC: Apple says it paid $400m (€360m) in taxes in Ireland in 2014, the year when the European Commission says it paid an effective tax rate on its profits of 0.005%.

However, the question is whether Tim Cook is including different forms of taxation rather than just Irish corporate tax.

The European Commission's investigation - and the 0.005% figure - was focused on the tax paid on profits passing through two Irish subsidiaries. On the vast majority of these profits, the commission found, Apple paid no tax at all.

Instead, much of the profit was attributed to an offshore head office, which BBC Business Editor Simon Jack describes as the "tax equivalent of outer space".

Apple may have paid 12.5% on some profits going through its Irish businesses, but to suggest $400m is equivalent to 12.5% of all Apple's profits that passed through Ireland is far from the truth, the commission would claim.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully it will be the first of many around the world.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Common for governments to offer huge tax breaks (and environmental waivers) to large corporations to get them to move to their local and provide jobs, leaving the already local businesses to pay the tax cost of the increased infrastructure needed to provide for the migrant business, which has no loyalty to the location and will cheerfully move away when the negotiated tax break period ends.

Just part of one of the rules of western life (or all cultures?) - big boys get to ride on the backs of little guys.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't buy an Iphone until Apple pays its taxes

"You shouldn’t buy a new iPhone now because Apple could easily pay the tax judgment they owe, and they refuse to do so."

Or can anyone justify morally and ethically why it would be okay to buy one?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Don't buy an Iphone until Apple pays its taxes

"You shouldn’t buy a new iPhone now because Apple could easily pay the tax judgment they owe, and they refuse to do so."

Or can anyone justify morally and ethically why it would be okay to buy one?

If you care about ethics, chances are you have the wrong smartphone.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ireland sets itself up as a tax haven and also cuts sweetheart deals with multinational mega-corporations, and Apple is the bad guy? If you're going to boycott everything made by a company taking advantage of shitty laws, you're going to have to make your own clothes from cloth you wove yourself from cotton you grew yourself, etc etc - you can pretty much just bow out of modern life, actually.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If you're going to boycott everything made by a company taking advantage of shitty laws, you're going to have to make your own clothes from cloth you wove yourself from cotton you grew yourself, etc etc - you can pretty much just bow out of modern life, actually.

Not completely true. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible. But the real work isn't finding what is ethical now, but demanding that the products we like become ethical. One reason most are not is that most consumers don't care enough.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Personally I have very little problem avoiding Apple. Never owned anything from them. Over-priced products. Locked into Apple's system. And they are greedy greedy bastards.

The "just business" apologetics, it's just a tax break, perfectly legal, and suggested reasonableness of capitalism being the best way and the right way contrasts very startlingly with the news this morning that 63% of Canadians live pay cheque to pay cheque, with no savings, no cushion, no nothing. I imagine there's a similar statistic for other countries. It's offensive this gap between struggling tax paying public and nontax paying megacorps. Immoral. Wrong.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
If you're going to boycott everything made by a company taking advantage of shitty laws, you're going to have to make your own clothes from cloth you wove yourself from cotton you grew yourself, etc etc - you can pretty much just bow out of modern life, actually.

Not completely true. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible. But the real work isn't finding what is ethical now, but demanding that the products we like become ethical. One reason most are not is that most consumers don't care enough.
How much ethically sourced steel is on the market? How about rare earth elements that go into every cellphone and a whole bunch of other electronics? (Do you know what rare earth mining does to the environment?) Does all the furniture you use come from ethically sourced materials? What about the materials that go into the public infrastructure you use?

no prophet, I'm not apologizing for Apple. I'm saying they are hardly unique, and it's just as much the Irish government's fault as it is Apple's that Apple didn't pay much in taxes. It not as though Apple did something super sneaky that the Irish just figured out. Apple and Ireland did a deal out in the open, and the EU has decided they don't like it. Why they didn't object in the first place I don't understand.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taxation is a state competence, not an EU competence. As I understand it, the EU has decided the Ireland/Apple deal is unlawful because it offends against competition law in that not all companies have the same deal.

That's where the controversy lies.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
How much ethically sourced steel is on the market? How about rare earth elements that go into every cellphone and a whole bunch of other electronics? (Do you know what rare earth mining does to the environment?) Does all the furniture you use come from ethically sourced materials? What about the materials that go into the public infrastructure you use?

Most of it*, those are problematic (read the link I provided earlier), yes(also the other problems associated with them), as much as I can find, the vast majority (by weight, volume, etc. are by their nature. Rare metals in electronics face the same problems as any electronics.)
I make an effort to buy ethically sourced materials and I push for the government and business to do the same, though I will not claim to be perfect or complete about it.
However, that is irrelevant. Even if I did not, my comments would still be valid.

*with qualification. Open pit mining is harmful, but as far as the workers go, it is.

[ 09. September 2016, 05:34: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016