homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Collecting the offering

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Collecting the offering
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We visited a church over the summer where they only take up an offering during the service once a month. We had to ask where to leave it after the service and were shown a special visitors' box to put our sixpences in. Has anyone else seen it done like this? Does it work as well as the usual weekly system? It was a first for me. We use an optional monthly direct debit system at our home church, but that seems different, as we're giving regularly no matter what method is used. We still pass the plate on Sunday for the regulars who want it and for visitors.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem in my churches would be that many people only come to church once a month- to their favourite service, so should we take the monthly collection at the all age service, or Eucharist, or mattins ...Not a relastic option.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the British Methodist Church they're trying to get people to contribute their offering by standing order. That means it doesn't matter if they turn up or not - and I've actually heard a minister make this very point!
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although the total of "small donations" qualifying for Gift Aid has gone up recently, it's still easier to budget and administer if the giving is done by Standing Order. (This is in Britain, of course).

And, yes, the fact that it comes in even if folk are absent is a factor. (It's surely not that different to paying rent on a house even though you're away on holiday, or having an electric "standing charge").

Baptist/congregationalist churches like ours depend on our giving, so we do urge committed giving. I can however remember, as a child in the 60s, "Christian Stewardship" coming in in our local parish church.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a plate at the back, but don't pass it at all. We bring it up and dedicate the gifts during the service. Sometimes for the benefit of visitors who intended to make a gift we mention that there is still a plate at the back for contributions as people leave.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a balance to be had between saying, "You're a welcome visitor and we don't expect you to make a contribution" and "We know that some visitors wish to make a contribution, so this is how you can do it".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In the British Methodist Church they're trying to get people to contribute their offering by standing order. That means it doesn't matter if they turn up or not - and I've actually heard a minister make this very point!

It appears that passing a plate around seems to encourage tiny donations* (often just coins or small notes) whereas presumably a standing order might actually tend to encourage more sensible levels of donation.

*of course there really are people who cannot afford more than a few coins. I'm not talking about them, but rather those who could afford more but "want to be seen" putting something into the plate.

--------------------
arse

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
We have a plate at the back, but don't pass it at all. We bring it up and dedicate the gifts during the service. Sometimes for the benefit of visitors who intended to make a gift we mention that there is still a plate at the back for contributions as people leave.

The most frequent users of the plate at our place are small children, who put in a dollar. For most people it's easier to teach about giving by having children actually give physical money (even though it's only a token amount) than by siting them down and talking about numbers on a bank statement.

We have a few parishioners who give via the plate, but most people do monthly automatic payments.

So keep the plate - it's for the children! [Two face]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
It appears that passing a plate around seems to encourage tiny donations* (often just coins or small notes) whereas presumably a standing order might actually tend to encourage more sensible levels of donation.

*of course there really are people who cannot afford more than a few coins. I'm not talking about them, but rather those who could afford more but "want to be seen" putting something into the plate.

Ah, I used to be a church steward, so I know all about 'tiny donations'! There used to be a lot of grumbling in the vestry about that.

Regarding the OP, I know of one large parish church where there's a hole in the wall for donations, but the collection plate is still passed around during services.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
It appears that passing a plate around seems to encourage tiny donations ... of course there really are people who cannot afford more than a few coins.

When I was in West Africa, some people took change. Hopefully they took out less than they put in!
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
When I was in West Africa, some people took change. Hopefully they took out less than they put in!

I remember being in one church where the congregation was invited to contribute if they were able, to let it pass if they weren't and to take out money if they really needed it more than the church did.

--------------------
arse

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the majority of our congregation give by standing order (direct credit) and one or two oldies like to put an envelope in, some of us also put a coin in the bag.
For me this goes back to the day friends' small boy wanted to know why he had to put something in when Mr F, a solicitor and presumably 'rich', didn't. Mr F probably gave generously by direct credit, but pour encourager les petits, we go through the motions each week.
Another congregation with financial struggles had a suggestion made, that in addition to their regular donation, they might consider putting any small change from their purse in the offering bag as well (actually I keep mine for charities at the supermarket door, who don't do so well now that most customers use their EFT POS card).

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That pretty well sets out our experience. Even those contributing by direct debit like to put something in the bowl as well. We still get small denomination coins from children, a good habit to learn.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
That pretty well sets out our experience. Even those contributing by direct debit like to put something in the bowl as well. We still get small denomination coins from children, a good habit to learn.

I think it is a terrible habit to learn. I've always taught my children that it is better to give nothing than to give shrapnel.

--------------------
arse

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But for them the shrapnel is a substantial sum.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
But for them the shrapnel is a substantial sum.

It isn't if the money has been given to them by parents for the sole purpose of putting into the collection plate. I don't agree with the notion that one should be seen to be giving, I think this should be done in private.

--------------------
arse

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

But where did I suggest that?

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We expected our children's giving to come out of their weekly pocket money. One child usually ended up scraping together coppers.

[ 14. September 2016, 12:04: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the OP, what is sixpence in this day and age?

The poster does not say from what Country in the World his/her experience relates, nor whether the mention of 'sixpence' is literal or metaphorical.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
While the majority of our congregation give by standing order (direct credit) and one or two oldies like to put an envelope in, some of us also put a coin in the bag.
For me this goes back to the day friends' small boy wanted to know why he had to put something in when Mr F, a solicitor and presumably 'rich', didn't. Mr F probably gave generously by direct credit, but pour encourager les petits, we go through the motions each week...
GG

I think this is an opportunity to explain to a child that they should not be paying attention to, or judging, what someone else gives, especially since they do not know the circumstances.

"pour encourager les petits"???

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I felt that many people felt embarrassed to put their offering on the plate and as a result we changed to bags that were passed around and offered privacy. I'm not sure that the once a month collection would work as you cannot predict when people will come to church. There may even be people who would decide to sleep in on collection day!

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:

The poster does not say from what Country in the World his/her experience relates, nor whether the mention of 'sixpence' is literal or metaphorical.

It was a cunningly subtle way to confuse my enemies and conceal what I actually put in the plate.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:

It was a cunningly subtle way to confuse my enemies and conceal what I actually put in the plate.
Either that or you've got a stock of sixpences from 1971 that you're too ashamed to admit you're still dropping in the plate [Biased]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016