homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why do churches worship as they do? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why do churches worship as they do?
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to be clear, while I am now a Quaker, I am not saying that the Quakers are right and others are wrong, but I am not pushing that point, merely using my perspective to raise a question.

Pretty much every church, with a few exceptions, follow the same style and structure of service. There is singing, sermon, prayers, bible reading. Even churches that are independent, that split and reject the traditional churches seem to adopt the same basic structure. Of course it is different, because we sing the songs we want to, preach the message we want to and pray what we want to, so it is radically different.

But why? As I look, I don't see this pattern in the bible (which is so important to many independent churches, and yet they don't use it to change their worship style). I don't even know any justification for the structure as it is, other than that we have always done it that way.

So why? Is there a reason for this basic structure? Because the Quakers have taken a different approach, so it is not the only way of worshipping.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's obviously Jewish influence, but apparently there are also pagan, i.e. Greek and then Roman contributions.

Luther created the order of worship that many Protestant churches still use, more or less, for morning services. He also switched the emphasis from Eucharist to preaching, which the other Reformers continued with, adding their own contributions to preaching styles and attitudes.

But every major movement in Protestantism has contributed something to the way that worship operates today, with variations depending on tradition.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is nitpicking, but Luther did not remove the focus from the Eucharist. He merely bumped up the focus of the readings and preaching.

Today all the Lutheran churches I know have a double focus--the service of the Word followed by the service of Holy Communion. Which for a lot of us is every week.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus prayed, sang hymns with the disciples, read the scriptures aloud, taught, and shared the bread and wine. If we are following his teaching, we will surely do these things too.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting how the RCC are avoided so far. I disagree with you, Raptor's Eye. Those traits are in many religions, so ISTM, more a human thing than specifically Jesus.
My question is how all the ceremony in the more structured churches is regarded so reverently when Jesus himself went with the basics.
Not that any of that is necessarily wrong, just that it isn't inherently The Way™ either.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a church scholar, but it seems that the more liturgical traditions have a long history and a more centralized process of determining worship style.

My Mennonite congregation (Mennonite Church USA) is multicultural and urban, so we retain some Mennonite distinctives (e.g., acapella four-part harmony) and have added others. Our current pastoral team is African-American, and that has led to some new things.

The order of service would be recognizable to most, with perhaps the traditional Menno break in the service for "community tine"

I often wonder how Sunday morning (rather than afternoon) became traditional. I'm not talking about Sunday as much as morning. Does it have something to do with the early church? Or something more mundane!

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@sabine: morning because it gives you the rest of the day off to do things?

@Lamb Chopped: And I know you know, while others here may not, that the division of the service into two parts, word and eucharist, goes waaaaay back. At least before the schism because we do it too.

Doesn't the NT somewhere contain a reference to singing "Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs"? That's in, then. Jesus was asked to read the Scriptures during a worship service so that one finds easy support. Also we have good examples in both testaments of preaching in the context of bringing together the people of God, which for most of us means Sunday morning. And it's hard to argue against prayer during worship. It's hardly then surprising that all of these elements show up in Christian worship. (In many times and places Orthodoxen omit the sermon.)

Josephine said she talked to a Jewish woman who had come to an Orthodox (Christian) service, who was pleasantly surprised at how many elements were shared with, or very close to, elements of synagogue worship. Whether this is because of contact somewhere down the long ages, or because they were there in nascent form in both traditions before they divorced (ca. 70 CE), or because they're just part of human felt needs/wants, I couldn't guess. But it's interesting.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday is because "very early in the morning, on the first day of the week" is when the women went to the tomb and found it unexpectedly empty. From the beginning Jesus' followers gathered on the first day in celebration/commemoration of the resurrection.

As for the other, the shape of the church's worship, I would suggest both the influence of synagogue worship, and a strong element of inherent logic about it. The shape is not inevitable, but is very natural.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's natural because we're used to it. I don't think it feels so natural to those who aren't used to it. There's a lot we take for granted.

And in terms of new Christian groups, most are founded by people with a background in older traditions so they keep to what they know, more or less.

Also, the sociologists tell us that almost all new groups eventually yield to the pressure, mostly unspoken, to formalise, to become more normative. The way they worship will develop accordingly, which is unsurprising.

Even the Quakers are proof of this. I understand that globally, most of their worship is 'programmed'.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the elements in a service have a degree of support. But why all in a service? And why these elements, and not, possibly, others.

I suppose the reason the Quakers make me think is that they/we worship without any of this. It is worship that feels to me as valid as more traditional styles, and (for me) is a more vital approach to worshipping.

I was also musing, post-Greenbelt, that the Quakers had a meeting every day, which is easy to organise (all you need is a venue), whereas the Sunday Communion took weeks to prepare. OK, not entirely comparable, but is all that preparation something we are called to do?

(Again, this is not getting at anyone, it is just some thoughts that have been wandering my head. I need other people to help me organise them).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only been to two Quaker meetings and they were as structured as any other kind of service, as far as I could tell. There wasn't any 'spoken ministry's on either occasion.

The thing is, unless we all stand on one leg or twirl on our heels three times to symbolise the Trinity, say, there are only so many ways you can actually 'do' in a church service.

I used to belong to a group that thought it was 'restoring' the church to its pristine power and purity (ha ha) and which was always reinventing the wheel over and over again. Our meetings became as predictable as anyone else's.

I can understand aiming for simplicity - and I know Orthodox people who say that their services tend to be heavy on calories - a bit like eating Christmas pudding every week ...

What I don't 'get' these days is the constant striving for novelty and apparent spontaneity.

Perhaps it&s because I've been round the block a few times.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

To be clear: in the UK I believe the meetings are almost always 'unprogrammed', but internationally apparently 79% of Quakers worship in 'programmed' services, which is to say that they have hymns, readings and something like a sermon.

So, taking into account what I said above, the pertinent question might not be why other churches have structured worship services, but why British (and no doubt a few other) Quakers don't!

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be the question why, when British Quakers, where the Friends started, have unprogrammed Meetings, other Quakers, who came from that tradition, have moved back to a form like other churches. The other way round from Svetlana's question.

When our college took a group to the Reform synagogue near Hyde Park, I was very interested to find how like a Congregational Church service it was. I wondered how much cross pollination had been going on without being reported more recently than in the Early Church.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am fascinated by non-UK Quakers having programmed services. Given that they are best known in the UK for their silent services, that puzzles me.

So yes, the question might be why Quakers in the UK retain their distinctive style.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I've only been to two Quaker meetings and they were as structured as any other kind of service, as far as I could tell. There wasn't any 'spoken ministry's on either occasion.

I'm intrigued. The ones I've been to were as unstructured as I can imagine. We started at 11 without announcement, and an hour later the clerk shook hands with the person on his left and that was it. On one occasion nothing was said in those 60 minutes, on other occasions a part of it was filled by people speaking.

Other than the timing and the fact that we all sat still on the benches nothing was imposed. And if someone had decided to move seats or stand or dance for a while I'm sure that would have felt congruous, too.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

originally posted by Schroedinger's cat

the Quakers had a meeting every day, which is easy to organise (all you need is a venue), whereas the Sunday Communion took weeks to prepare

Personally I wouldn't read too much into that. I don't know what the Greenbelt communion consists of but obviously it is possible to organise frequent traditional worship. Monasteries tend to have it more than once every day.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A silent hour this very day. Unusual my Friends say.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It started on time and ended with the expected hand-shake an hour later with nothing said in between.

That looked pretty structured to me.

It's not as if it went on 10 seconds longer than the allotted time.

In more apparently 'imposed' or structured services, the sermon might go on longer than intended, there might be a mix up with one or t'other of the hymns, all sorts of variations might occur.

Other than someone saying something - which hasn't happened when I've attended a Quaker meeting (admittedly only twice) - then it was difficult to see what could possibly happen other than a small group of people sat silently for an hour - welcome though it might be.

Ok, so it was minimalist but that didn't mean there wasn't any structure to it.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Pretty much every church, with a few exceptions, follow the same style and structure of service. There is singing, sermon, prayers, bible reading. Even churches that are independent, that split and reject the traditional churches seem to adopt the same basic structure. Of course it is different, because we sing the songs we want to, preach the message we want to and pray what we want to, so it is radically different.

But why? As I look, I don't see this pattern in the bible (which is so important to many independent churches, and yet they don't use it to change their worship style). I don't even know any justification for the structure as it is, other than that we have always done it that way.

Perhaps this is one of those times where "we've always done it that way" fits. When you boil it down, the skeleton of the traditional order—gathering, scripture reading, sermon/homily, prayers, offering, Eucharist and sending—are pretty basic, and there is a flow to them. These basic elements can be seen from the earliest days of the church. In his First Apology (Chapter 67), Justin Martyr wrote:
quote:
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need.
Various traditions have elaborated and expanded on, tweaked or rejected in part or in whole this basic order. But it has been there pretty much from the beginning.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with Quakers worshipping in whichever way they choose, but I don't see how starting at 11am and sitting quietly for an hour till the clerk shakes hands with the person next to them constitutes a less structured way of worshipping than a traditional non-conformist hymn/prayer sandwich or a prayer book service of some kind.

The vocal ministry part is intriguing and probably quite different to the impromptu prayers, 'prophecies' and so on we might find in a charismatic service.

But I've not heard any of that in a Quaker context so can't comment.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Nick Tamen. I thought that maybe Justin Martyr said something about it, but I wasn't sure so I didn't say anything. Every now and then I try to avoid making an ass of myself. I'm glad you knew the reference.

(Is there something in the Didache or other Apostolic-Fathers writings that talks about the shape of the liturgy?)

So yeah, Christian worship has been pretty well defined for at least 850 years. The real question is why do people who don't follow this basic pattern deviate from it? Inertia requires no explanation; it is self-justifying (even if the justification is wrong). And as you say, most of the worship of Christian bodies consists of variations on this ancient theme.

So the answer to "Why do churches worship as they do?" is two-fold: (1) Why did the first century or early second century create this basic ur-pattern of worship? and (2) why does a Christian body that doesn't worship this way not worship this way?

Change is usually caused by something, some mutual felt need or aversion or such. You take what your parents did, and change it in some way because you find it icky, or think it has too much of one thing or not enough of another, or shouldn't have this thing at all (e.g. Sally Ann and the eucharist), or needs this other new thing (e.g. charistmatics and ecstatic behaviors).

So it would be interesting (to me, but may be I'm weird) to read about either of those two things, separately or in conjunction. But I think that that's the only way to make the question of the thread title work.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
(Is there something in the Didache or other Apostolic-Fathers writings that talks about the shape of the liturgy?)

The Didache was my first thought, but it only talks about the administration of baptism and of the Eucharist, not the liturgy as a whole. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure about other writings of the time. If I have time, I'll do some looking.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It started on time and ended with the expected hand-shake an hour later with nothing said in between.

That looked pretty structured to me.

It's not as if it went on 10 seconds longer than the allotted time.

In more apparently 'imposed' or structured services, the sermon might go on longer than intended, there might be a mix up with one or t'other of the hymns, all sorts of variations might occur.

Other than someone saying something - which hasn't happened when I've attended a Quaker meeting (admittedly only twice) - then it was difficult to see what could possibly happen other than a small group of people sat silently for an hour - welcome though it might be.

Ok, so it was minimalist but that didn't mean there wasn't any structure to it.

It's structured in the sense that a quarter of an acre of rough grass with a fence round it is structured, but not in the sense that a quarter of an acre with a hedge, a drive, a kitchen garden, a croquet lawn, a pond and a house with four bedrooms, a study, a lounge, a kitchen, two receptions and a loft with a model railway is structured.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So the answer to "Why do churches worship as they do?" is two-fold: (1) Why did the first century or early second century create this basic ur-pattern of worship? and (2) why does a Christian body that doesn't worship this way not worship this way?

Change is usually caused by something, some mutual felt need or aversion or such. You take what your parents did, and change it in some way because you find it icky, or think it has too much of one thing or not enough of another, or shouldn't have this thing at all (e.g. Sally Ann and the eucharist), or needs this other new thing (e.g. charistmatics and ecstatic behaviors).

So it would be interesting (to me, but may be I'm weird) to read about either of those two things, separately or in conjunction. But I think that that's the only way to make the question of the thread title work.

Mmm. I'm not totally clear what you are saying actually is the ur-pattern, but it seems to me that we're back to this thing of telescoping our view back into history and seeing the things we expect to see there.

Maybe the truth is that there have always been mavericks who did things differently, but these expressions have morphed into something else.

Maybe things that morphed too far (perhaps in terms of practice alongside or before belief changes) just got rejected as non-orthodox and either changed into other religions (Islam - maybe/possibly) or were otherwise destroyed (Cathars?).

But mostly I'm thinking that those basic things we can identify aren't really so easy to compare between Christian denominations anyway, and if we were to line up behaviours that are similar, the Orthodox would look, well, pretty unorthodox.

As to why new sects suddenly change direction from what went before, I'd see that as being something to do with societal change as much as a new impetus to deliberately do something new. Don't forget, for example, the situation within which Quakerism emerged - the rigidness of religion and politics, the exclusion of "the other", the emergence of ranting wandering preachers, persecution and execution of heretics. And then the enlightenment and all that meant.

I think that fervour somehow stimulated the imagination and that George Fox, Pennington and others brought forward an almost entirely novel religion from scratch. Of course, modern Quakerism looks almost nothing like how Fox envisioned it.

The fact that Quakers so often look like other forms of religion today just shows the force and appeal of the old versus the difficulties of sustaining something entirely new.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
It's structured in the sense that a quarter of an acre of rough grass with a fence round it is structured, but not in the sense that a quarter of an acre with a hedge, a drive, a kitchen garden, a croquet lawn, a pond and a house with four bedrooms, a study, a lounge, a kitchen, two receptions and a loft with a model railway is structured.

Well that's true, although I'm not sure that's a difference that is really relevant to this discussion. Quaker meetings still own property, put on meetings on Sundays at 11, are mostly populated by people wearing sensible clothing and end with coffee. In many Quaker meetings in North America they have pastors and hymns.

Of course, they don't have to do any of those things. But, in a curious and unexpected way, their very "otherness" has ended up - several hundred years later - becoming a mirror of every other church expression that is available to the extent that the only obvious difference is about their practice inside the meeting - and even that isn't really so much different to other forms of Christianity.

--------------------
arse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

mr cheesy -- Nick Tamen laid it out:

gathering, scripture reading, sermon/homily, prayers, offering, Eucharist and sending

This pattern is common between the Orfies and the Caffix, so it must predate the schism of 1054. And the writing quoted from Justin Martyr makes it a lot older than the schism. This basic pattern goes back to at the latest 150.

Were there other variations (before 1054) that flourished then were killed off by the powers that be, and their very memories were suppressed? This gets into serious whackdoodle conspiracy territory. What we see in the real record is parts being tweaked or dropped or added or fiddled with in fairly small chunks.

Whether or not we can lump a bunch of those together and say "societal pressures," as if that's the whole story, I do not know. As I said, I'd be interested to learn more. But not if it requires reading through entire thick tomes for every denomination who changed their worship from that they inherited from their immediate spiritual ancestors.

quote:
But mostly I'm thinking that those basic things we can identify aren't really so easy to compare between Christian denominations anyway, and if we were to line up behaviours that are similar, the Orthodox would look, well, pretty unorthodox.
You can think that; I won't stop you. But is it true? What's your evidence, or what's your argument? One can think anything, or assert anything. But a private belief doesn't move a discussion of history along.

I understand the thing about George Fox et al. developing a new religion from scratch. That at least explains the huge left turn in how the worship is conducted. A total break with the past. What I dislike are attempts to take something new and read it back into the history where it isn't. Not saying anyone here is doing that.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
@Lamb Chopped: And I know you know, while others here may not, that the division of the service into two parts, word and eucharist, goes waaaaay back. At least before the schism because we do it too.

Mousethief, thanks for shoring up my memory, because it's been a darn long time since I had church history. I did think Luther hadn't done much to the format of the service bar translating it into the vernacular, but I just couldn't remember... Am I right in thinking that the service of the Word tends to reflect synagogue worship, and the service of Holy Communion the temple?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

The Didache was my first thought, but it only talks about the administration of baptism and of the Eucharist, not the liturgy as a whole. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure about other writings of the time. If I have time, I'll do some looking.
For the Didache you have the following:

14:1-2" On every Lord's Day - his special day- come together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your sins so that your sacrifice may be pure."

Further down, after mentioning the need for bishops and deacons and the need to encourage one another there is an instruction to "Meet together frequently in your search for what is good for your souls, since a lifetime of faith will be of no advantage to you unless you prove perfect at the very last." 16.2. Maybe not the most conclusive evidence.

I would also argue that the template of Word and Table can be found inActs 2:42 and in Acts 20:7.

Also, I believe someone mentioned about psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. That can be found Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16.

Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
mr cheesy -- Nick Tamen laid it out:

gathering, scripture reading, sermon/homily, prayers, offering, Eucharist and sending

This pattern is common between the Orfies and the Caffix, so it must predate the schism of 1054. And the writing quoted from Justin Martyr makes it a lot older than the schism. This basic pattern goes back to at the latest 150.

OK, I don't know the sources. But couldn't one also write a similar list of all the things that are different? I mean, does it say how often they met, at what time of the day, how long the homilies went on for etc?

If we're to agree that the Orthodox closely follow the pre-schism pattern, then aren't there many things that most churches now do differently?

quote:
Were there other variations (before 1054) that flourished then were killed off by the powers that be, and their very memories were suppressed? This gets into serious whackdoodle conspiracy territory. What we see in the real record is parts being tweaked or dropped or added or fiddled with in fairly small chunks.
So you don't agree this happened with the Cathars? I'm only bringing them up as being quite different to the (for sake of discussion, the pre-schism) norm and that they were systematically eliminated. There seem to have been quite a few other groups similarly stamped out by the RCC.

quote:
Whether or not we can lump a bunch of those together and say "societal pressures," as if that's the whole story, I do not know. As I said, I'd be interested to learn more. But not if it requires reading through entire thick tomes for every denomination who changed their worship from that they inherited from their immediate spiritual ancestors.
So just to be clear, we're looking for Christians who didn't meet on Sundays, didn't sing songs and didn't have homilies? Or something else about liturgy etc?

quote:
You can think that; I won't stop you. But is it true? What's your evidence, or what's your argument? One can think anything, or assert anything. But a private belief doesn't move a discussion of history along.
Well I admit to being rather dim about most Orthodox practices, but I understood that this involved many different services at different times of day and for different days of the week. Without going into the detail of it all, I'm thinking that's quite unusual for the rest of Christianity.

Singing might sound superficially similar, except that (I apologise if I'm wrong) I understood that the Orthodox priests do most of the singing in your services. So again, what is it that we're saying is basically the same? If it is just that some singing happens in a specific building at a specific time, aren't many things similar to that - like a folk club.

quote:
I understand the thing about George Fox et al. developing a new religion from scratch. That at least explains the huge left turn in how the worship is conducted. A total break with the past. What I dislike are attempts to take something new and read it back into the history where it isn't. Not saying anyone here is doing that.
Of course George Fox was pretty keen on doing that and believed he had the true religion when everyone else who did it differently before was wrong and the antichrist.

--------------------
arse

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to get back to how the Common Liturgy developed-by common, I mean the liturgy most Lutherans, Anglicans and Roman Catholics share--it actually comes out of a combination of Synagogue worship combined with Roman imperial court procedures. You begin to see the liturgical pattern developing in Revelations. In fact a number of the chants come from Revelations.

Luther contributed to the liturgical movement by 1) writing the liturgy in the vernacular of the people, 2) encouraging congregational singing, and 3) putting the spoken word on the same plain as the sacraments.

I personally like the liturgy because it connects me with other Christians the world over, past, present and future, who worship the same way I do. Bonhoeffer did the liturgy every day while in prison because he knew when he came to the Lord's prayer, millions of people all over the world were saying the same prayer as he said it.

Non liturgical worship developed out of the Reformed movement. Calvin wanted to eliminate the Roman symbols as much as possible, and the liturgy was considered a Roman symbol. But if you look at most non liturgical worship forms you also see a definite pattern has developed.

[ 11. September 2016, 21:40: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
OK, I don't know the sources. But couldn't one also write a similar list of all the things that are different? I mean, does it say how often they met, at what time of the day, how long the homilies went on for etc?

I guess we could, and there are many books on the subject. But the OP asked why most Christian churches follow the same basic pattern or structure of worship. No one denies that the details will vary widely. But there is indeed a set pattern that goes back as far as the early church and that can pretty easily be discerned in Eastern (Orthodox) and Western (Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Reformed, etc.) liturgical practices, despite the many differences.

quote:
Well I admit to being rather dim about most Orthodox practices, but I understood that this involved many different services at different times of day and for different days of the week. Without going into the detail of it all, I'm thinking that's quite unusual for the rest of Christianity.
Not at all. It's similar to, and shares roots with, the Daily Office (Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, or Lauds, Matins, Vespers, etc.) of Western Christisnity.

quote:
Singing might sound superficially similar, except that (I apologise if I'm wrong) I understood that the Orthodox priests do most of the singing in your services. So again, what is it that we're saying is basically the same?
The basic structure: gathering, scripture reading, sermon/homily, prayers, Eucharist, sending.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Non liturgical worship developed out of the Reformed movement. Calvin wanted to eliminate the Roman symbols as much as possible, and the liturgy was considered a Roman symbol. But if you look at most non liturgical worship forms you also see a definite pattern has developed.

This is a common misconception. Yet Calvin and others among the Reformed prepared liturgies. The difference was they did away with a lot of ceremony that they considered unnecessary, and the words of things like prayers were considered models to work from rather than scripts that had to be followed to the letter. But they did not reject liturgy per se.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question was asked earlier in the thread--why have British Friends remained unprogrammed (paraphrased) as well as whether or not the Brutish Friends are the only unprogrammed group.

I don't know why Brutish Friends remain unprogrammed, but I can say there are quite a few unprogrammed Friends in the US. This is my background. The major splits into different "flavors" if Quakerism happened during the 19th century in the US. Worship style was not the reason, but more the result--say, for instance when Friends encountered the holiness movement.

Perhaps the same forces gave not been as profound in the UK, I don't know.

And then, Friends in the US made an outreach to Africa and South America when Friends today are more evangelical. Incidently, most Quaksrs reside in Kenya.

I'd be curious to know if there are immigrant Quaker Meetings in the UK with different worship styles.

I know of a group of Burundian Friends here who use drums as part of Meeting for Worship.

sabine

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

The basic shape of the Orthodox service is similar to that of pre-Vatican 2 Roman Catholicism and, indeed, the underlying structure of traditional Anglican liturgy - although it's not High Church Anglicanism on steroids ... And with a better line in beards and funny hats.

Most of the singing us done by the choir, often led by a cantor. The priest does a fair bit of chanting but he doesn't do the whole thing.

The argument would be that the RCs, Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox - your Copts and so on - all derive their worship practices from very early models.

The Cathars broke away from the Catholic Church - they weren't some kind of parallel group. Sure, there were schismatic or non-standardised groups in various parts of Europe, such as the Cathars, Waldensians, Bogomils and so on but it's difficult to trace any form of 'succesion' from earlier Gnostic groups and so on - even if they appear to share some characteristics in common.

The fact that the RCs, Orthodox and Copts, Armenians, Syrians and so on share a broadly recognisable structure suggests at the very least that they're drawing on a generally accepted early pattern.

Given that the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox went their separate ways in the 5th century suggests that the pattern was pretty well established by then.

As for the intriguing issue of why most of the world's Quakers saw the need to revive/revert to more 'conventional' patterns - hymns, sermons and so on - suggests to me that once you've minimalised things to the extent that the Friends did - then the only way 'beyond' that is to start maximalising things again to a certain extent.

Just supposing the Orthodox ever decided to minimise the being and to hone everything down ... Before long I suspect it's all start to creep back in again - human nature is like that.

There's even an aesthetic of sorts in the barest of Calvinistic meeting places - and it's not as if the Friends don't go in for decoration and so on in their conference and study centres.

As far as what 'goes on' in services/meetings ... Well, it's all developing all the time. Few of the melodies the Russian Orthodox use are more than 150 years old, for ibstance, even if the structure of the Liturgy is pretty ancient.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Notes on unprogrammed worship as conceptualized by Friends General Conference.

sabine

[ 11. September 2016, 22:08: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think if I had any 'Brutish Friends', I'd avoid them ...

Does anyone know any 'Brutish Quakers here?

Meanwhile, I'm not away of any immigrant Quaker groups here. There are only about 15,000 Friends in the UK, with perhaps another 5,000 or so people who tag along but aren't officially Quakers as such.

Most African migrants here would belong to African forms of church - Nigerian, Ghanaian, Ethiopian ...

Or else attend Western churches - Anglican, Baptist, Methodist etc.

Most Quakers here are white and middle class.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
the shape of the church's worship, I would suggest both the influence of synagogue worship, and a strong element of inherent logic about it.

I'm not convinced that the pattern of the synagogue would have been that strong in the development of Christian worship.

For a start, before the destruction of the Temple, the synagogue was not a place of worship - worship happened at the Temple. We know from the Gospels that the Jewish Scriptures were read, and that there would be something said about them - Jesus on at least one occasion is invited to read the Prophets and say a few words. We know too that in the absence of a synagogue Jews gathered at rivers outside the city, as a place of prayer. So, presumably prayer was part of the practice at the synagogue. We know the Jews sang psalms, it was part of the Temple worship. But did they sing at the synagogue? And, of course, a very large part of Jewish religious practice was centred on the family at home, the Passover was eaten in the family home not the synagogue.

Several of the Epistles seem to strongly suggest that the Gentile churches took their model for gathering not from the synagogue but the symposium. The Epistles quite often address the lack of structure in the gatherings of the church, but it is clear that these gatherings would have centred around a meal - and not just a little bit of bread and wine, but a proper meal with enough wine for people to be drunk. Which was the pattern for the symposium - lots of food and drink, and a raucous discussion of philosophy, politics and whatever else took the fancy of the guests.

There certainly doesn't appear to be a particularly strong, universal pattern for what happened when Christians gathered. The Epistles, to an extent, attempt to curb some of the wildest excesses of behaviour (like getting drunk, or eating all the food before the poorest members of the community, who would be the slaves and servants of others unable to get to the meeting until after they have done their days work, had arrived) but don't really impose a structure.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Sorry [Hot and Hormonal] I am blind in one eye and am working on a smallish phone screen. I don't know any Brutish Friends.

sabinr

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

@PresterJohn: Thank you for the reference to Psalms / Hymns / Spiritual songs. I didn't realize it was in there twice! I wonder if our NT scholars can say whether both Ephesians and Colossians are in the firmly Paul or Pseudopaul camp, according to the branch of criticism that makes that distinction?

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Am I right in thinking that the service of the Word tends to reflect synagogue worship, and the service of Holy Communion the temple?

That is something I have never heard. It makes sense though, especially in light of the Catholic concept of the "sacrifice of the Mass."

@mr cheesy: The Cathars had a lot more going on than just different worship. One could keep exactly the same worship and be heretical and thus subject to being stamped out. The worship weren't the issue.

quote:
At monasteries, sure. But that's the same as at Catholic monasteries, and "the rest of Christianity" is largely Catholics. On a weekend we tend to have Saturday night Vespers, then on Sunday Matins and Liturgy. Or in some traditions the Matins is served back to back with Vespers the night before and called (for God knows what reason) "All-Night Vigil" -- perhaps because by the time Matins is over, it feels like it's been all night.

But when worship takes place is incidental compared to what you do. If you sacrafice chickens and dance naked around an Asherah pole, but do it at the same time as the Presbyterians down the block are doing their regular Sunday hymn sandwich service, are you more like the Prestbyterians because you're doing it the same day and time than are (say) the Seventh Day Adventists, who do a service much more similar to the Presbies, but on a different day of the week?

No, clearly on a spectrum between essential and incidental, the content of the service is going to be a lot closer to one end, and the timing to the other.

And at any rate the title of the thread is why do churches worship as they do, not where they do, or when they do.

quote:
Singing might sound superficially similar, except that (I apologise if I'm wrong) I understood that the Orthodox priests do most of the singing in your services.
You're wrong. The laity do most of the singing, supported and led by the choir. Sadly sometimes this means supplanted by the choir, and I've gotten into fights (verbal) with other Orthodoxen about the acceptability of this before. The liturgy is the work of the laity, both etymologically and in the history of the church.

quote:
Of course George Fox was pretty keen on doing that and believed he had the true religion when everyone else who did it differently before was wrong and the antichrist.
As of course does every innovator in the history of the Christian religion. If I were snotty I might mention Joseph Smith, Ellen G. White, and Mary Baker Eddy. The 19th century was a grand time for people who felt they finally got right what everybody else had gotten wrong for 1900 years. Or at least since Constantine.

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Luther contributed to the liturgical movement by 1) writing the liturgy in the vernacular of the people,

This was not novel, of course, although the Latin mass grew more and more calcified in the west. In the east, people were translating the services into the vernacular well into the 19th century. When St. Innocent of Alaska first got to Alaska, the first thing he did was learn the native languge, then start to translate the services of the church and the Gospels into the languge (Inuit, I think).

quote:
2) encouraging congregational singing
This is very good, and is coming back in Orthodoxy, although it never really died out (see above). Of course we don't have John-Foley-wannabes strumming guitars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Kof.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

That's as may be, but it certainly seems to have developed into a fairly standardised and even stylised pattern relatively quickly.

The big meal with plenty of wine seems to have faded away quite quickly, for instance - presumably for practical reasons.

What you get in the oldest liturgies is a blend of the practical and the symbolic - for want of better terms.

However we conduct worship it's a 'construction.' It's a form of drama on one level.

We can't 'reconstruct' so-called NT worship. There's no way we can do that. All we have are tantalising glimpses.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:

Well that's true, although I'm not sure that's a difference that is really relevant to this discussion. Quaker meetings still own property, put on meetings on Sundays at 11, are mostly populated by people wearing sensible clothing and end with coffee. In many Quaker meetings in North America they have pastors and hymns.

Of course, they don't have to do any of those things. But, in a curious and unexpected way, their very "otherness" has ended up - several hundred years later - becoming a mirror of every other church expression that is available to the extent that the only obvious difference is about their practice inside the meeting - and even that isn't really so much different to other forms of Christianity.

It seems different to me. In the Quaker meetings I've attended I've heard nothing like a corporate prayer or a sermon, a hymn or a worship song, there's been no offering, no children's talk or organ voluntary, no worship band, no responsive acclamation or confession, no Eucharist, no creed, no amens, no blessing, no standing or kneeling, no procession, no vestments, no altar, no choir, no bells or incense, no hymn books, no lectern, no pulpit, no projector, no liturgy.

Not so much different? I think the Quakers are radically strange.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Hatless, in about 2/3 of the Quaker Meetings in the US (and perhaps 100℅ if the Meetings in Kenya) you would hear a hymn, a reading (not always from the Bible, though), have a collection, and then hear a message, usually before the silence. I went to a Hispanic Meeting in my city where tambourines were s regular feature.

See my previous posts on this thread for some other examples.

Of course, we may still seem radically strange to you, but we have some range. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

Yes, I realise that. I was just reflecting on the British Quakers I have visited. And I didn't mention the lack of ministers/leaders/priests/vicars/pastors.

By the way, 'radically strange' is the finest compliment I know.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Thanks for the compliment, Hatless. [Smile]

Most Quaker Meetings have pastors, too. Not in the UK, of courss, and not among unprogrammed Friends The radically strange part is that the pastor really can't do anything without the permission of the Meeting as a whole, and they are not ordained.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

British Quaker silence probably makes sense in a movement without official creeds. What 'Word' is there that a highly trained professional needs to expound, and why sing praise to God, if half of your members are happy to be atheists or agnostics?

No doubt there are secular and spiritual songs and texts that Quakers sometimes use, but while non-literalists in more orthodox denominations feel obliged to conduct an endless exercise in re-theorising streams of ancient, sacred words, it's unsurprising if British Quakers (and very many non-churchgoing Christians), feel no obligation to do so, or to sit under others who feel thus obliged.

But to give the Quakers a rest, it's interesting that the atheist assemblies seem to have adopted a version of the hymn sandwich. That's surely proof that many of them are ex-churchgoers. I wonder what symbolic moment they've incorporated to take the place of Communion?

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

I've been to a congregation of a church called Unity. Instead of a creed, they all stood up and recited their mission statement.

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

www.unity.org

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the corrections

I also wanted to point out since Vatican II many denominations began to work together through the Council on Church Union or COCU to a new three year Lectionary. Many denominations have adapted it (with some changes) including non liturgical denominations. It also presented a basic outline of a revised liturgy that reflects many of the changes Luther began. Nearly all mainline denominations have this revised common liturgy in their newer hymnals, though not everyone is using it.

Of course, I know little about the Orthodox form of liturgy, so I am speaking from a Western perspective.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
The basic shape of the Orthodox service is similar to that of pre-Vatican 2 Roman Catholicism and, indeed, the underlying structure of traditional Anglican liturgy - although it's not High Church Anglicanism on steroids ... And with a better line in beards and funny hats.

Most of the singing us done by the choir, often led by a cantor. The priest does a fair bit of chanting but he doesn't do the whole thing.

The argument would be that the RCs, Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox - your Copts and so on - all derive their worship practices from very early models.

The Cathars broke away from the Catholic Church - they weren't some kind of parallel group. Sure, there were schismatic or non-standardised groups in various parts of Europe, such as the Cathars, Waldensians, Bogomils and so on but it's difficult to trace any form of 'succesion' from earlier Gnostic groups and so on - even if they appear to share some characteristics in common.

OK but my point was more simple than this: namely that the liturgical form you're discussing above is more than few steps beyond the ur form Mousethief mentions above, and that fact that it exists doesn't mean that it is normative and might just mean that the expressions which did not look like this throughout time didn't survive.

And second that there are significant differences anyway between these liturgical forms and between them and the rest of Christian expressions.

What we seem to be coming down to is that the "normal" form of church is to meet in a particular place, sing and have teaching together with the Eucharist. But within those words there are massive divergences; who does the singing? who takes the Eucharist and how often? what kind of homilies? The Orthodox might look back at the Didache and think that it reflects their liturgical tradition, the baptists might look back at the NT and believe that it reflects their pattern of hymns and sermons. It can't very easily be both, we're all just looking back and projecting ourselves into the past, whereas in fact where we are is a reflection of many different traditions, pressures and influences.

Second, I'm not saying that there is any kind of conspiracy or that there was an "authentic" church which was hidden by the RCC or anyone else - as far as I can see it isn't necessary for there to be any kind of direct connection between these alternative expressions throughout history for them to be a real thing. If it is true that Islam developed as a bastardisation of a kind of Christianity, then isn't that an long-existing form of religion that doesn't meet the basic formula? Maybe there were many other movements which were oddball expressions but which didn't survive.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
British Quaker silence probably makes sense in a movement without official creeds. What 'Word' is there that a highly trained professional needs to expound, and why sing praise to God, if half of your members are happy to be atheists or agnostics?

OK but the tradition developed within an understanding of (a weird form of) Christianity whereby Fox and the others believed that God spoke directly to the stilled soul. The prevalence of atheists and agnostics today within British Quakers seems to be a result of the tradition of being a quietist movement and not a cause.

Also worth remembering that the early Quakers were not as quiet as it might seem. The name Quaker is a relic of their charismatic leanings, so the distinctive part of the early movement was not so much that they all sat in silence but that they rejected the idea of ordained leaders and believed that the Holy Spirit could come to everyone and give anyone from within the meeting the words to say. As far as I can read, at least some of the meetings had a reputation for being raucous.

quote:
No doubt there are secular and spiritual songs and texts that Quakers sometimes use, but while non-literalists in more orthodox denominations feel obliged to conduct an endless exercise in re-theorising streams of ancient, sacred words, it's unsurprising if British Quakers (and very many non-churchgoing Christians), feel no obligation to do so, or to sit under others who feel thus obliged.
I guess it is fair to conclude that in modern times British Quaker meetings have attracted a particular type of person looking for a particular type of spirituality. But again, early Quakers sang songs, so this isn't necessarily a reflection of the tradition in its entirety.

quote:
But to give the Quakers a rest, it's interesting that the atheist assemblies seem to have adopted a version of the hymn sandwich. That's surely proof that many of them are ex-churchgoers. I wonder what symbolic moment they've incorporated to take the place of Communion?
I don't think that is necessarily proof that they're ex-churchgoers, just that the idea of singing together has a resonance amongst a lot of (British) people no matter where they came from. We can see that this is attractive to a lot of people in various ways; singing things like Abide with Me at football matches, the Last Night of the Proms, etc. And that in turn I think just shows how powerful the tunes were from the great 18/19 century British hymn-writers and how they tapped into something about the buzz one gets from singing loudly together in a rousing and not particularly professional way!

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016