homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Authors you would like to meet (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Authors you would like to meet
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What authors (either living or dead) would you invite to a dinner party?
I'm reading Nutshell by Ian McEwan at the moment, and there is something about the authorial voice that makes me think I wouldn't like the guy if we met. On the other hand I think I would enjoy an afternoon in Elizabeth Gaskell's company.
From the McEwans I've read, there seems to be something closed in and mean about him, whereas Gaskell seems to be generous and have a sense of humour.
It's not just personalities. I've sure Evelyn Waugh could be vile, but I also think he might be entertaining, at least for a short while.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the impression that Elizabeth Gaskell was an amusing, intelligent and humane person, if a bit proper. So yes.

I'd love to hear Evelyn Waugh at somebody else's party but I'd be hesitant of inviting him chez moi.

I'd be terrified of Jane Austen. I'd be bored by George Eliot.

But I'd love to entertain Barbara Pym.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd like to see how different authors interact with one another. For example, two writers I like, who were contemporaries of one another, yet radically different, are Thomas Hardy and H.P. Lovecraft. They might hate each other, but it would be wonderful to see what possible collaborations they might come up with.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to meet Jane Austen, but I doubt we would get on politically, she was very much a High Tory.

Shakespeare would be one of these people it would be difficult to draw out: he would give polite, deflective answers and withdraw into the wallpaper the better to watch and listen.

John Donne, in his young days, would obviously be a hot date.

But for a girls' night in I'd chose Margaret Oliphant. After a bottle of Chilean Merlot and a good bitch we'd rise, tie on the bonnets, tight wrap the shawls and go back to holding our worlds together.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am swooning already at the idea of meeting a young John Donne.

I'd like to talk religion, women's rights and the CofE with Charlotte Bronte over a good bottle of red.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:

Living.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like John Donne for an intimate dinner a deux, rather than a dinner party.... [Hot and Hormonal]

I'd love to observe Jane Austen at a dinner party. Also, Thomas and Jane Carlyle, just to see how they behaved with each other. I think Nan Shepherd would be good company.

First choice would be my very distant relative, Lorna Moon, who left north east Scotland for the glamour of Hollywood and led a quite scandalous life with aplomb.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think mine could make up either the dinner party from heaven or from hell...

Patrick Leigh Fermor
Graham Greene
Evelyn Waugh
Patrick Hamilton
John Betjeman
Julian Maclaren-Ross
Anthony Powell

roast beef, and a *lot* of claret, possibly in the Coffee Room at the Army and Navy Club.

There's always been something about mid 20th century writers that has drawn me in. The above is a fairly combustible mix, but it would be one hell of a night.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone for a curry night with Rudyard Kipling, Winston Churchill, Salman Rushdie & Arundhati Roy?

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Anyone for a curry night with Rudyard Kipling, Winston Churchill, Salman Rushdie & Arundhati Roy?

yes, so long as it's not the night after mine, very much in!

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To that list can I add William Dalrymple? I think he would leaven that mix rather nicely.

Dalrymple would also fit well with John Keay, Gavin Young & Alexander Frater - a travel correspondents night out!

I think Voltaire would be great at a dinner party [if my own French was better], but who to invite with him? Perhaps Jonathan Swift?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeats. And Shelley (which means cooking vegetarian food). And I have questions I want to ask Shakespeare.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Yeats. And Shelley (which means cooking vegetarian food). And I have questions I want to ask Shakespeare.

Like: Did you yourself really write all that stuff? [Two face]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan Bennett, without question.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a weakness for people who froze to death in Antarctica, and would love to dine with Robert Falcon Scott. Jane Austen would probably go all mim on any American, but I bet Charles Dickens would be convivial -- we need him to mix up some of his famous punch. Dorothy Sayers!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Samuel Coleridge I gather talked like an angel, which was just as well as he kept talking.
Dickens I think might be a bit the same.

I'd like to invite Marilynn Robinson and Ali Smith. And Terry Pratchett and WH Auden.

[ 12. October 2016, 15:46: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always thought that Oscar Wilde could go one way or another. He'd either be the most entertaining person at the party, or the guy who needs to shut up with the one liners so that everyone can listen to Tennyson.

How about a night of cowboy food (steak and beans), beer, and bourbon with Larry McMurtry, Jim Harrison, and Cormac McCarthy? Definitely a dude-centric lineup, which I'm not entirely happy with, but it would be fun.

I'd also like to sit down for beer, wings, and football with George Plimpton, Buzz Bissinger, and Hunter Thompson.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to meet Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things still comes up in conversation in my writers groups. And sorry Sipech, but Salman Rushdie I find boring, so I wouldn't join the whole party.

Umberto Eco, who would probably make me feel like an uneducated moron, but in a nice way. And Douglas Coupland, who I suspect I would get on with very well.

John Wyndham as well, probably over coffee to discuss time and possibility.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robertson Davies. He wrote a series of wonderful interwoven trilogies that seem Jungian to me, and is the finest Canadian author of the 20th century in my view.

E. Pauline Johnson (Tekahionwake), Mohawk-Canadian poet.

Patrick O'Brian. Writer of early 19th century naval adventures.

William Shirer. War correspondent and writer of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, books about Tolstoy, Gandhi, and the remarkable 3 volume "Twentieth Century Journey" an autobiography which seems to speak of yesterday and the present.

Emile Zola. Can more be said?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I would love to meet Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things still comes up in conversation in my writers groups. And sorry Sipech, but Salman Rushdie I find boring, so I wouldn't join the whole party.

I don't deny that. Midnight's Children was a dreadful book. But it might be interesting to see the flow/contrast of ideas on imperialism in India, with he and Roy on one side, Churchill & Kipling on the other.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Like: Did you yourself really write all that stuff? [Two face]
I was thinking more of "So what else did you write and do you have any copies?".
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I have always thought that Oscar Wilde could go one way or another.

I believe some people thought that at the time. [Biased]
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely William Shakespeare. There's no other author I'd fly around the world to see his plays.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Robertson Davies. He wrote a series of wonderful interwoven trilogies that seem Jungian to me, and is the finest Canadian author of the 20th century in my view.

Oh, that's a good one. No one could make the most disgusting and grotesque images in the world seem like pure poetry like Davies.

One scene I remember (from "The Rebel Angels," I think,) has a biologist positively and convincingly arguing that human shit is a form of art.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living would be Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who inspires me greatly.

Dead? T.S. Eliot.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:

Living.
[Killing me]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gore Vidal, Albert Camus, Thomas Babington Macaulay, Sidney Smith, AJP Taylor.

With the proviso that they all get to spend some time reading up how things have gone since they shuffled off this mortal coil.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Gore Vidal...

I met his brother (an Anglican priest) a number of years ago. For some reason he was wandering around the grounds of the church where I worked at the time. He introduced himself as "Vance Vidal, Gore Vidal's brother." I was thinking I should introduce myself as XXX XXX's sister. It struck me as very odd that his only identity was through his well-known brother.

(I just looked him up on Wikipedia -- they were actually half-brothers.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On evidence of readings/seeing interviews I'd say Iain Banks, Ursula le Guin, Neil Gaiman, Simon Armitage, Zora Neale Hurston & Naomi Mitchison (maybe Warren Ellis if we had an outdoor table and an ashtray). Not just because I enjoy their work, but because I think they might enjoy each other's company.
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le Guin and Gaiman are alive, and I have met them -- they are lovely people.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze said:
quote:
But for a girls' night in I'd chose Margaret Oliphant. After a bottle of Chilean Merlot and a good bitch we'd rise, tie on the bonnets, tight wrap the shawls and go back to holding our worlds together.
If we're having that sort of girls night in, can I come along with the aforementioned Elizabeth Gaskell and also bring Emily Eden . Her two novels are among my favourite comfort reads, and as she was close to the political scene of the day, there could be some interesting gossip.

As for authors I've actually met, I invited one of my favourites, Diana Wynne Jones, to a school I used to work in. I sat on the floor of the drama teacher's van on the way back to the station so I could talk to her some more.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Anyone fancy a tête-à-tête with the 2016 winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature? I did not see that one coming.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OMG, Sarasa. And she is gone -- Jones was one of those authors who should have lived forever, and write a book a year.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Anyone fancy a tête-à-tête with the 2016 winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature? I did not see that one coming.

I'd love to! I did see him in person several years ago, but would love to join your dinner party with him.

--------------------
~Tortuf

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dead: The late Father Andrew M. Greeley. I hope he wouldn't talk about women's breasts a lot, though. Gets tedious.

Alive: Daryl Gregory who wrote one of my favorite books thus far in my 49 years on this planet, "Afterparty". Excellent, excellent book.

I am coming off some medicinal marijuana at the moment and can barely spell or concentrate on stringing the proper words and letters together. I'm off for a long sleep.

I'm sure I will have many other authors to share, once I've "sobered" up.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go for Diana Wynne-Jones (spelling?), mostly because her grandparents lived in my parent's village, but I'm buggered if I can work out who they were.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Le Guin and Gaiman are alive, and I have met them -- they are lovely people.

As are Ellis and Armitage. A friend met Simon Armitage a couple of times, he's local-ish and often does readings; she thought very highly of him.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
and also bring Emily Eden . Her two novels are among my favourite comfort reads,

I've downloaded The Semi Detached House. So far it seems mainly about mocking rich, vulgar Jews. But perhaps it picks up later.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I'd met Terry Pratchett. From reading his output, he seems to have had an almost identical education to mine!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dafyd wrote:

quote:
I'd like to invite Marilynn Robinson
Me too - but having read some of her non-fiction, I know that I need more time to enjoy it than it would take her to think it / say it. So maybe you'd allow me to take an audio feed from the dinner party and digest it off-line. I could be an unseen guest a little like the DDR surveillance officer in 'The Lives of Others'.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This kind of thought always raises up caveats in my mind. There has to be an app or a feature, to get us past language barriers, for instance. Would we understand Shakespeare, without it? Certainly you would need it to get anything out of a meeting with Martin Luther or Socrates (both great dinner companions by all report).

And while we're at it the app should get us past racial and cultural barriers. There are too many authors of the past, who would not sit at table with a person of different race or gender or even nationality. Dickens and Trollope toured America, but didn't like Americans (insufficiently deferential).

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Some of the tensions/prejudices might serve up some interesting conversations. Imagine inviting Hitler along to be confronted by the likes of Gore Vidal, Martin Luther King Jr and Maya Angelou.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Dickens didn't like about Americans was their hypocritical racism when going on about freedom.

Anthony Trollope's mother, Fanny, wrote a book about Americans. I don't think her son did,

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Trollope is on record, in his letters, complaining about how Americans served him.

I wrote a book once about Lawrence 'Titus' Oates, and to that end read everything extant about him, both his own writings and those of others. I became uneasily aware than an Edwardian gentleman would be unlikely to approve of me (wrong race, wrong nationality, wrong gender). And I had a dream.

In my dream he looked as he does in the photo on the Wikipedia page. All he did was stare at me; no conversation was exchanged. But I knew, as one does, that this was the true man -- the historical person, not the fictional construct or the fellow in the history books. And I knew that he did not want me to write about him. If I continued, I would have to answer for it some day. He would meet me at the Pearly Gates, a riding crop in hand. I woke up with quite a nasty start.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Not sure about erasing cultural differences, but for languages maybe we should be using Babel Fish ?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.G. Wodehouse.
Patrick O'Brian.

And an author I've always thought would be a great dinner companion, especially for a dinner that goes on late into the evening: Herodotus! I imagine he would be so entertaining (I recommend the Histories to students as beach reading). And to make the conversation flow more easily (and to ask the man questions I wouldn't have thought of), some modern scholar, such as the late J.K. "Jock" Anderson. [Votive]

I also want to meet Manetho (early third century BC), author of the Aegyptiaca , whose dynastic outline we still use today, but whose work survives only in summaries made by later historians. Where did he do his research? What king-lists did he consult? What about the stories that didn't make it into the fragments preserved today? How accurate are those summaries? I would be happy to buy him all the bread and beer, beef and fowl, that he desires!

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Egeria:
P.G. Wodehouse...

How could I have forgotten Plum?

--------------------
~Tortuf

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I read a biography of Plum which reckoned he was not very brilliant as a conversationalist or socialite and preferred a quiet life in his own home.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I love Elizabeth David's grande dame bitchiness in her journalism, but I would be wary of her company (although she did get on with gay men).

But I would love, love, love to help Jane Grigson prepare a meal and then sit down to eat it with her and friends. She comes over as really nice. And when she criticises dubious attitudes to food, it is more in sorrow than in anger.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both dead, alas, but:

1. Wilkie Collins, younger contemporary and friend of Dickens. Collins invented wonderful devices for murdering his characters, and actually built at least one...to see if it would work [Eek!]

2. Jerome K. Jerome, a man with a very dry and witty approach to life, but who (in his late 50s) served as an ambulance driver in WW1.

Living?

J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter)
2. Peter Robinson (Chief Inspector Banks)

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016