homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to a lovely Christmas concert last night. Both cathedrals in Wellington sustained considerable damage to their organs in the big earthquake, and the concert was a fundraiser for the Basilica of the Sacred Heart organ. Somehow the Music Director had put together an orchestra to accompany the choir in a range of Christmas music, including the Vaughan Williams Fantasia on Christmas Carols, all in the space of about 2 weeks. I was seriously impressed with the choir, which was the Basilica choir with added extras, and the young bass soloist (who I know from the choir I sing in) sang astoundingly well (he's very shy, so I had no idea what a great voice he had).

It was a happy thing at the end of a stressful day.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Son is going to help him explore and see if there is some part time study he would like. The like part is 90% of the battle.

He has been doing labouring jobs since he left school. Some money and a taste of work. Above all, it has meant having a boss and all that entails about punctuality,effort etc. Starting work at 6:00 am is not his usual way of life.

We recently caught up with a friend of ours who went from labouring into university study. He's now studying engineering, after his boss suggested that he would support him to upskill and keep him employed while he studies. Guaranteed job at the end of it. There are some good people around.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the encouragement. The labouring is a stop gap thing as he has just left school. However, it is possible there is something mre available for him to move to in study. Motivation is the problem.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any news from you Mr Curly?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Any news from you Mr Curly?

All good from Chez Curly, in that results are as expected, with no disasters but also no big pleasant surprises. Permit the proud dad boast, marks as follows:

Music 96
Advanced English 90
Eng Ext 1 - 44/50
Eng Ext 2 - 43/50
Modern History - 86
Ext History - 42/50
Maths 81

He's a little disappointed with the 2 extension English subjects, and delighted with Maths.

Many would kill for these marks, he could have worked much harder. Nuff said.

ATAR for uni admission comes tomorrow. He'll be in the 93-95 range, which will place him comfortably over the expected 89 needed for his first preference of Bachelor of Communications (Creative Writing)/Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation double degree at UTS.

At work, a colleague's daughter did much better than expected and looks like admission to uni is now likely. Another colleague's cousin did much worse than expected in three subjects and prob won't get in to what she had her heart set on, and has been sobbing all day. It's tough.

Middle's exams at the end of his effective first term of Yr 12 were a mixed bag. He's very tired.

We all are.

Time to focus on Advent, me thinks.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done to him. A. may get a score which will get him a place, In which case, does her really want it? Will he work t it?

He is not a student. However his girlfriend's marks, not as high as Biggest's but well on the way will see her into whatever she wants.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done BIggest, and we hope he enjoys Communications. And UTS is very easy for transport.

Lothlorien, may that your grandson is able to find work in an area that interests him (never easy) and perhaps find a course to keep him going also

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the lesser Curlies, and to Loth's grandson. I know it's almost heretical to suggest this these days, but if he's of a practical turn of mind, would some sort of apprenticeship be an option rather than university? After all, people will always need builders, carpenters and plumbers, and they're accordingly very well paid.

APW, that concert sounds excellent, and I hope they raised lots and lots for restoring the organ.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son is a marker and panel leader for an NCEAStage 3 paper. All done now except for one paper which the student has elected to sit in Te Reo Maori – as s/he's entitled to, since it's an official language in Aotearoa/New Zealand, along with English and NZSign language. Problem is, after it's bee translated into Te Reo at some expense, the answers have to be translated into English for the marker's benefit, and the translator hasn't done so yet. Son says candidates have been known to elect to sit the paper in Te Reo but then answer in English, which would make things easier.
Many years ago I marked School Certificate French; I recently found my collection of howlers: LoL – yes I mean that literally.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I do not know A's ATAR nor any of his ideas. He is prepared to work, labouring job starts at 6:00 am. Lots of good qualities and is a leader in many areas. Study just does not interest him much at all and he had a couple of teachers where for a year there were clashes. Year 12 was OK but damage was done. He would like to return to Uganda and work with young people there. He was there a couple of months with school in Year 10 and received many good reports from the staff and also the staff of the school where he helped.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arabella , do you know how the organ at Old St Paul's fared? I remember my middle brother and I paying for one of the pipes probably about 30 or so years ago.

School has ended for the year, and none to soon, everyone seemed ready for it. The choir were delightful and sang really well.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well, that's my year done - last words on my feet for the year today (DV) but still some chamber work for next week and a general tidying up. Probably finish by midday Thursday and then Madame and I shall take my secretary and her husband to lunch. We've started what will be a rather long and involved process of selling Madame Pty Ltd and when that's finished - perhaps a year, perhaps 18 months - we can both retire. Perhaps famous last words. We'll both turn 70 very soon.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biggest's ATAR came in on target at 92.7. Stories of both pleasant and nasty surprises are circulating among the various groups. One of his friends did very well (96.7), but what was important to him was that he achieved 0.1 more than his older sister. I don't want to delve into those family dynamics.

I took him shopping and out to lunch today.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... Study just does not interest him much at all ...

One of my nephews went through a phase like that at the end of his schooldays - he just sort of stopped going. He's not stupid by any stretch of the imagination; it just took him a while of bumming around doing bar work and the odd road traffic survey before he found his niche. He got a job working with a painter and decorator and he's never looked back; he's been to a trade school and won a national design award.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Arabella , do you know how the organ at Old St Paul's fared? I remember my middle brother and I paying for one of the pipes probably about 30 or so years ago.

I haven't heard anything about Old St Pauls, and given that I've been moving amongst organists recently... I'm guessing it didn't sustain major damage.

The Anglican Cathedral had pipes fall out of the organ box onto the floor, which made for some dramatic pictures and a lot of giving thanks that the earthquake happened at night - several singers and the Canon in Residence would have been killed if it had happened during a service.

The Basilica organ is still usable if you don't want to be too excitable about what stops you can use.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Arabella, I have a particular attachment to Old St Paul's.

Yes, although earthquakes at night can be really scary, especially if power is lost, fewer people have been killed or injured then.

My front lawn no longer has a hole, so I hope I've seen last of the high viz crew. It's not that I'm ungrateful for the work done, but it's lovely to have the relative peace of the street restored.

And the rose I planted in memory of Dad (Freesia) seems to be OK [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
End of school year saw B1.2 narrating for the last school assembly. As a little chatty man, this was probably a perfect fit for him. As for B1.1 I am pleased to report he is still alive. I want nothing more than to see him survive the next four years of life, hopefully with some sense of humour still intact. He passed all of his subjects - just.

Caught up with Rowen briefly today - 22 degrees seemed like a positive heatwave to her, and I suspect she will be glad to get back to the alps. Of course I have a woollen jumper on. What happened to summer?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nine Lessons and Carols today which was well recived by everyone involved. I was given the task of singing the introit solo verse of Once in Royal plus another solo which was rather daunting as I'm struggling with a heavy chest cold and asthma (my doctor calls it GOLD = Getting old Lady Disease). However, I survived the experience without too much angst and there is just the midnight service to sing at on Christmas Eve before the choir is on holiday for January. Many of the congregation complain that we take a month's break, but after all we are a voluntary choir and need holidays just as others do after a year's hard work. Happy Christmas everyone.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Bib, it seems to me that the complaint is a backhanded kind of compliment. I wouldn't complain if our organists took a break, but I would miss them. (we don't have a choir).

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I am so glad I took my last cake out of the oven at 9am. The outside temperature has reached 30c. We're in Zappa's range.

Meanwhile I'm melting and rapidly drinking the portion of my emergency water supply that was in the fridge. My next move is a lukewarm shower - if I can raise the energy.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Put some cold water in bath and sit with feet up to ankles in it. Run cold water over the inside of your wrists. Over thirty here today but what else to expect. December in Sydney. At least it is not yet humid as well.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Loth. Mum used to have us run cold water over our inner wrists and I showed it to the children when I was teaching, but I never came across the feet in cold water, which makes good sense.

The easterly wind, which people here call the beasterly easterly in winter is very welcome in summer.

I must also see if I can find some sandals that fit my orthotics - lace-up shoes are really uncomfortable, even when I take them off as soon as I get home.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I am so glad I took my last cake out of the oven at 9am. The outside temperature has reached 30c. We're in Zappa's range.

[Axe murder]

Snuck around the high 20s here ... but pleasant enough .... I'll be in Brisbane in February so I'd better keep in training

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia, cucumber peel on the inside of your wrists is a traditional country way to help you deal with heat. Sounds strange but it does work.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I forgot that one. Very cooling. I have just taken rubbish downstairs for collection tomorrow and have also checked mailbox. I was wrong about the humidity. Quite sticky. I am glad I was able this morning to take aircon remote control unit apart to change batteries. They were five years old and the cheap and nasty type originally supplied by manufacturer. I don't use it a lot, pretty well always at night, but it means the difference between sleeping and tossing and turning. Currently it is set to 25° C. Sea breeze almost every summer day helps a great deal here.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be 30 here over Christmas! Our summers are short but hot.
However, traditionally. My church has no Christmas service.... Something to do with the distances farmers have to drive in....
So, on Froday, I am going to friends at a beach, for ten days. Can't wait. Also it will be cooler there. yay! First Christmas off in decades.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds wonderful Rowen. Enjoy yourself. Next week in Sydney itself 37 is forecast, more to the west.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Run cold water over the inside of your wrists ...

I do that every morning, no matter what the outside temperature is; today it was -1, which is really rather warm for this time of year. At least the windows had un-frozen, so I was able to open them while I was drying my hair.

I like the idea of the cucumber-peel wrist-band - I may give that a go when the weather gets warmer (above about 15°). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trickled arund 30C here today - so I mowed the lawns! Driving up to the Sides of the North overnight ... Kuruman and kuruzaplet# 2 are already there, Kuruzapplet # 1 and a recuperating dog are coming with me. House-sitter in to mind the remaining two dogs, turtles, tropical fish and ostensible pond fish.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Accounts of varying 'comfortable' temperatures are always fascinating.
My heatpump is on 18°C in the winter and usually that's cosy enough.
If It gets hot enough to put it on air con mode in summer. I still go for 18°C, which is then pleasantly cool.
Actually, today's forecast maximum was 15°C, so I used it to warm us.

My family Christmas cake recipe is a small one but I double it and make two – which I hadn't done for several chaotic years, and couldn't have done without three teenagers to help with the heavy stirring. Now I hope the extra few minutes I gave them hasn't made them dry. I'd forgotten my mother's rule to always listen to a cake to check whether it's done, and these did have the reassuring faint dying sizzle.

Incidentally the recipe, written before I took to getting jumbo eggs, required six eggs, so I took out five, but when three of the first four were double yolkers I decided that was enough.

I'd better go before someone tells me I'm on the wrong thread. Okay, I'm off. Happy Christmas feasting, everyone!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... before I took to getting jumbo eggs ...

I was quite surprised at egg sizes when we crossed the Pond; in Newfoundland, eggs labelled "extra large" were so small they'd have been pushing it to be called "standard" in the UK, but at the farmers' market here in Fredericton I bought some "extra large" that looked as if they'd come from ostriches. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It's officially Christmas day here. Have a good one everybody, Survive.

I'm going to bed,

Huia

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a very moving Midnight Mass and saw Christmas in. Happy and joyful Christmas to all.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Merry Christmas to all of you Down Under! [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And a Happy Christmas from us to all of you.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A happy Christmas to all from the foothills of the Blue Mountains where at least three days this week will be over 40.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

With a full church at 9.30, and no minister, a senior elder got the service under way, and after no doubt a quick phone call, our interim minister arrived, apologised, and explained that nobody – that's nobody , had told him that the Christmas Day service was at 9.30 instead of ten o'clock.
Christmas Day is always pretty informal, and we have hitches in things like electronics occasionally so we're used to taking them in our stride.
After the service the children crowded round the crib to see the Baby Jesus – my 80-year-old life-size sleeping doll.
Son called me at 8 am to say that he was with his very sick wife at the hospital; she'd reacted badly to an antibiotic. So no family at church, and seeing no point in cooking the Christmas dinner, the kids and I lunched on the strawberries and ice-cream I'd brought for dessert. They'd had a gigantic Christmas Eve dinner put on by DiL's Mum the night before and weren't hungry.
Every Christmas Day is different. And yes, DiL is coming right.

GG

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas love to you all..

From me, in Mallacoota, on vacation. No church back home today. Too remote, too many farmers... So I am free, happy and hot at the beach, with friends

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
[snip]
After the service the children crowded round the crib to see the Baby Jesus – my 80-year-old life-size sleeping doll.
[snip]

The baby Jesus at our service was a bit less than 80 years old: it was our 3 month old grandson. Though it was as part of the Nativity Play last Sunday. His oldest sister (aged 9) played Mary and capably kept him calm.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After two weeks of paving and landscaping, we swept the sand in to the newly tessellated pattern of our courtyard at 1pm yesterday.It was hot work - the temperature was 30 degrees celsius. Had it looking beautiful and festive for the arrival of 17 family, then left to pick up my aged mother at 4pm. We had planned to eat under the shady pergola at 5pm. At 4.30pm I pulled in to our driveway with mum, the heavens opened and it hailed for 20 minutes. We couldn't even leave the carport. I have video of my grandchildren running inside carrying their carseats over their heads so they wouldn't get hit by ice. Marble sized balls of it were hammering down, and TP's fruit trees got shredded along with much of the fruit.

So plan B it was. We all crammed into the dining room and Christmas dinner was had. It will be a Christmas we will all remember thanks to the weirdass weather.

Later TP and I went to midnight mass at The Church with the Pond. MM and choir did a superb job and we both were greatly blessed by the beautiful music chosen. 4 more family events today mean we are now very weary indeed, with more tomorrow. Really really looking forward to the dogdays of summer and doing nothing!

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and a blessed Christmas season despite all the unexpected curve balls of life!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Merries, y'all ... I'm not sure if I went to church for Christmas in 1996 (my first marriage had just broken up and i had a raging temperature) but if not this has been the second Christmas since about 1975 that I haven't attended any liturgical event.

And loved it.

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas 2017 will be one that will stand out in my mind for - well - ever. It was the first Christmas that I celebrated at Mass after my priesting in September.

First there was the 2pm Service of Holy Communion and Carols at Our Lady of the Rocks (North Rocks) on Thursday 22nd - best time to ensure maximum possible attendance. Had about 40 people there who all enjoyed the service.

Then at 7.30pm on Christmas Eve had the Sung Eucharist of he Nativity at the Community of Our Lady of Advent (Castle Hill). With three priests present we had a full squad of liturgical ministers with Celebrant, Deacon and Sub-Deacon. There were only two seats to spare so think we could classify it as a full-house!

Then on Christmas Day it was at early to be packed and leave at 9am to travel up to the township of Putty (which is half-way between Windsor and Singleton which equates to about a 110 minute journey) for the 11am Christmas Eucharist with the Community of Our Lady of the Valley. With the extra joy of having a Blessing of a Secular Marriage of two of the congregation (with a huge surprise for the 'brides' parents who didn't know that it was happening). A fantastic banquet meal was then shared by the 20 people present - so much food and wine flowing that we all stayed the night.

Given that for quite some time now our normal family Christmas lunch/dinner group has been only 4-5, being part of a much larger gathering was quite an experience - positively so. Quite looking forward to repeating the enjoyment in a years time! :-)

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sounds wonderful with lots in attendance. Hot up that way. I was on southern ridge overthe river but on top above Wiseman's Ferry. The younger ones spent most of the time in the salt pool. Apart from eating that is.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia the author forgot both you and the wine when this was written.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

If you want some heat, Zappa, you need to get on a Sydney flight tonight. My suburb, perhaps 2 km from Parramatta River as the crow flies, is forecast to be 40 ° C: here tomorrow , slightly cooler on Friday.

Richmond and Penrith are well over 40.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Huia the author forgot both you and the wine when this was written.

World famous on the Ship of Fools, but nowhere else [Waterworks]

Thanks GeeD - must point this out to number 2 bro who lives in the US and was the original cause of my interest in huia. There is also a publishing imprint named Huia that specialise in NZ books.

I'm glad the article mentioned Hunt For the Wilderpeople . I really enjoyed that and sent the DVD to the US.

Yesterday the highest temp was 30c and today it was around 15 or 16c. I am having difficulty keeping up with the variations.

Huia

[ 28. December 2016, 09:49: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Off to Awkers to collect an Ultracrepidarian

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I hope UltraC enjoys his visit to NZ. Apparently backpackers are avoiding Christchurch because it is so boring. I think they're wrong, but then I don't visit nightspots at all. Their absence doesn't worry me personally, but I do feel for the people running Backpacker accommodation who haven't had an easy time lately.

I remember UltraC was into cycling, he may be interested to know that an Adventure Park for mountain bikers has just opened here, if he is coming this way.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Echoing your sentiments, Huia, for his visit.

Another hot day ahead here.My area had a top of 37 and 35 is forecast for today. I used aircon again last night but somehow bumped a control and while it worked, control kept flashing. I brought it out to table this morning and with glasses on could see it was timer light flashing. No idea how I did that as it is covered by the slide down cover on the control. Hopefully a bit cooler tomorrow.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A couple of hours early,, but let's leave 2016 and move on. Thank you for your comapany. Closing this thread now

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016