homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Churches (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Churches
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What should the English do with their church buildings? When I visit them I see them mainly as museums, filled with historical artefacts. But one of their strengths is that they are also places of worship. They are real, contemporary, still being used. But as English interest in their church declines below sustainable levels, these buildings no longer serve their purpose as places to meet and worship God. They are expensive to maintain and heat, and inflexible for use on other days of the week. They have become an albatross around the neck of the Church of England. However, when they are abandoned, they fall into private hands and often are converted into residencies and closed to the public. Simon Jenkins suggests in the Guardian that they should be donated to trusts who could look after the care of the history for the community, not just for the Church. This would leave the church free to find more suitable premises, in which to meet for worship. What do shipmates make of this suggestion?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no alternative. Public ownership at the council level. They should be given to the nation as stately homes were. I'm totally turned off parish church 'worship' now and can walk to the cathedral for communion. That I will do. I fancy the Wednesday 1.00pm: Eucharist for Peace and Justice and will report back.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many Chapels round here have been converted into residences.
It saddens me to say this, as I have worked in many beautiful churchyards, but the only realistic option for profiting from unused rural church buildings is to sell them off to private buyers or speculators.
If funds can be found to keep them as museums then all well and good. I doubt if they will attract many more visitors than they do now, and money will still be needed to maintain them so no one will be any better off.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Community centres, not museums. At best. Otherwise. Take the roof off. Remove all recyclables. Including half of the masonry. Preserve the stained glass windows in situ. For as long as the council can be bothered.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Schools? Libraries? The National Trust?

Out of curiosity, do Anglican churches have to be de-consecrated before being put to another use?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Out of curiosity, do Anglican churches have to be de-consecrated before being put to another use?

They usually are, but not always The Churches Conservation Trust has a number of ex-Anglican churches which continue to be consecrated and have occasional services.

On the whole, though, I think most are deconsecrated and used for other purposes.

--------------------
arse

*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love old churches, but I've long felt that an idea like what Simon Jenkins suggests is the only actually-practical way forward.

As a minor note - listing status matters a lot. Grade 1 listed churches are often of limited use for any other purpose (depending on exactly what things inside the church are part of the listing)

(Note for non-English people: A listed building is one that the government has designated as being of historical interest so any changes need permission that you're unlikely to get. Grade II approximately means you can do what you like to the interior but can't alter the exterior. Grade 1 means that interior changes, possibly down to decoration, are also restricted. Most grade 1 listed buildings in England are Anglican churches)

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Community centres, not museums. At best. Otherwise. Take the roof off. Remove all recyclables. Including half of the masonry. Preserve the stained glass windows in situ. For as long as the council can be bothered.

From where I am it would take a full day for a fit and active person to walk to the cathedral.

If your prescription was followed here, it would significantly detract from the visual amenity of the centre of the community. Unfortunately, the restrictions placed on a Grade 1 listed building in the middle of a Conservation Area in a National Park would be as inhibiting to other uses as they are to using the building for church purposes.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main flaw in Simon Jenkins argument is that he still hasn't worked out where the money is to come from. Our (civil) parish council is extremely wary of taking on any kind of financial commitment, and has very limited fund raising powers or capacity. In this respect it is typical of many - especially in rural areas. The idea of endowed trusts is great, but what is the means of endowing them? The National Trust, for example, has refused to take on a closed rural church a few miles from here unless it is given something like £1M to enable it to keep it up.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is already Churches Conservation Trust. I think there are others. However, they are small and I do not think up to large scale picking up.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
The main flaw in Simon Jenkins argument is that he still hasn't worked out where the money is to come from. Our (civil) parish council is extremely wary of taking on any kind of financial commitment, and has very limited fund raising powers or capacity. In this respect it is typical of many - especially in rural areas. The idea of endowed trusts is great, but what is the means of endowing them? The National Trust, for example, has refused to take on a closed rural church a few miles from here unless it is given something like £1M to enable it to keep it up.

This is a problem, but the alternative seems to be that cash-strapped congregations are forced to continue to throw their money into a deep pit for their crumbling buildings.

I suspect the only thing might be for congregations to walk out (possibly declaring themselves bankrupt?) from the buildings they no longer want. Then, presumably, if the state wants to keep the buildings, they can pay for the upkeep.

[ 11. October 2016, 09:05: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the 'listing' process is part of the problem, not part of the solution. The trustees or owners of a building aren't part of the listing decision, and it incurs extra costs (sometimes ruinously high) without providing any extra help with those costs.

(The local council have put my immediate locality in a conservation area, and my house on the local list, one stage below formal Grade II listing. No help, just restrictions)

Congregations are left with a building that's fit for a previous century, but not now. They can't retrofit insulation, modern lighting and heating systems, proper roofing, disabled access, toilets, kitchen or other modern amenities without jumping through multiple, expensive hoops and even then, sometimes the answer is simply 'no'.

My answer would be for churches which are of genuine architectural and/or historic importance to be given money for their upkeep. Those that are not, delisted. That would help considerably.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how many churches fall in this category. My local church (which is a category I building, and being on the Pilgrims Way is kept open all day for visitors) serves a parish of about 550 people and seems to have no problem keeping going. Indeed there is a rather odd parish not far from here that serves a population of six people! It's all that is left of an abandoned village. But that one is kept going by a cunning wheeze involving the benefice it is in, which involves cycling services from elsewhere.

There are churches in towns that have been converted to community centres, and at least one is used for indoor climbing activities. Rural communities may be more difficult if there is already a village hall - another communal site may make both financially unviable.

One big advantage of churches is that they are usually acoustically excellent, and just the place to hold concerts. Many recordings of non-amplified music are actually recorded in deconsecrated churches bought specifically for that purpose. There's only so much you can do by adding presence and reverb to studio recordings. It is surprising just how poor the acoustics of concert halls can be, though of course the big ones can seat more than anywhere short of a cathedral.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I suspect the only thing might be for congregations to walk out (possibly declaring themselves bankrupt?) from the buildings they no longer want. Then, presumably, if the state wants to keep the buildings, they can pay for the upkeep.

This is undoubtedly the way to do it. It's amazing to watch when churches want to make changes to their buildings, but the local community suddenly start taking an interest in a building they never use and don't pay for. There are plenty of people with an opinion who need to be offered the opportunity to foot the bill. Whilst the church congregation is paying the bills and using the building for their own ends, the locals are going to leave them to it and only poke their noses in to say "no".

The problem with walking away from the building will be that the congregation is led by a Vicar, who reports to the Bishop. I suspect she would be in very hot water indeed if she supported such a course of action.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:

The problem with walking away from the building will be that the congregation is led by a Vicar, who reports to the Bishop. I suspect she would be in very hot water indeed if she supported such a course of action.

Well I guess it depends exactly how it is done. In South Wales, Anglican churches have been regularly sold off, and I suspect that whilst "walking away" hasn't yet been deemed necessary, for some buildings which are unsafe, the diocese might support such a course of action if a buyer is not found.

It is quite hard to believe that a diocese could or would force a local congregation to continue with building costs that it is obvious they can't afford.

[ 11. October 2016, 10:19: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Yes, they do

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
Yes, they do

Nope they don't. There are a number of churches held by the Churches Conservation Trust which remain consecrated but are also used for other purposes. Indeed, those churches can only be used for irregular services.

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
In South Wales, Anglican churches have been regularly sold off, and I suspect that whilst "walking away" hasn't yet been deemed necessary, for some buildings which are unsafe, the diocese might support such a course of action if a buyer is not found.

I don't know if it makes any difference to this - but the Church in Wales is dis-Established.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't know if it makes any difference to this - but the Church in Wales is dis-Established.

I don't know if Establishment makes any difference - there are redundant churches for sale in England.

--------------------
arse

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All well and good in theory but in reality not such a clever idea.

Take the case of the church where I play: It is the only building in the large rural parish capable of holding more than 80 people seated and the only once able to hold more than 50 which is anywhere near a bus route: in a village with a population of c950 those are important considerations. Add into that mix that the church hall (one of the 2 that can hold 50+) is on leasehold land and the leaseholder (the Church Commissioners) has intimated that they are minded not to renew the lease when it comes up for renewal in 5 years' time.

What holds us back in developing the church is that we are Grade I listed, and the local Conservation Officer is decidedly anti-church - so far our attempts to get a loo built have taken 8 years - and the Church's own DAC also seem hell-bent on denying that we need to provide not only a loo but somewhere to wash up coffee mugs.

Despite all that, the church is still able to provide the only focus in a parish where housing is spread over a wide area and we provide the parish with concerts, a toddler group, amateur dramatics, space for car boot sales, the annual Fruit & Veg show, a centre for the study of local wildlife, etc, etc, etc.

To preserve the buildings the Church - and we're really talking CofE here - needs to make all-comers welcome and feel they have a stake in the place, whether or not they have any belief in the creed espoused by those who worship there: what many of our local non-worshippers comment on is that we, as a worshipping community, don't "push religion down our throats" (direct quote from someone at the annual Village Harvest Thanksgiving).

The current focus on mission will do precisely nothing to help rural churches in particular since it is almost entirely based on putting bums in pews at services while ignoring the fact that things like the CofE's attitude on things like same-sex relationships, divorce, etc, that keeps people out of our buildings and away from our services.

[ 11. October 2016, 10:57: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The future of CofE church buildings is presumably quite dependent on local factors. Some are in the ideal context to be multi-purpose community centres; some are in suburban areas with a high growth potential (if evangelism takes place); other (sub)urban and town churches can be sold and converted into housing.

Some could no doubt become museums or restaurants, etc., but only in a couple of cities would potential buyers have enough money for both expensive repair and maintenance, and also have any likelihood of turning a profit with this kind of venture.

It'll be interesting to see if the CofE will begin to sell considerable numbers of buildings for use in non-Christian worship. Nonconformists in many towns and cities have had to get used to this occurrence.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What is it about suburbs that gives CoE churches high growth potential with evangelism? What's the model for that? Where is it incontrovertibly working?

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was referring to this report, p. 10. It describes the growth potential of 'middle class suburbs'.

(The same page also notes that urban churches in cities with a large percentage of Christian immigrants may also be able work towards and benefit from church growth. I think this is a more complex environment, though.)

But note that church growth wasn't the focus of my post; I know full well that growth is difficult for the average church to achieve.

[ 11. October 2016, 19:09: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Norwich has a lot of good examples of church buildings being used for other things - and a lot of the churches are medieval. One is a store for Boy Scout and Girl Guide equipment. Another is an antique centre, with many different units. Another is an arts centre. I think one has sports equipment, and there was talk of one church becoming a motorcycle museum, though I don't know what happened there.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Indeed not SvitlanaV2, but the church continues to relentlessly grow negatively at over 1% a year regardless of its potential - whatever that is - with evangelism - whatever that is.

Near the turn of the century it will be a third of that.

If the buildings can't be used as community resources or turned in to mosques, they must be demolished.

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Well, yes, we all know that large numbers of churches are declining. That's why I suggested that some church buildings be converted into houses, community centres, mosques, restaurants, etc.

Some will be demolished too, although that won't happen to the listed ones, will it? So some other use will have to be found for them.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To divert attention to Scotland for a moment, Iona Abbey is a busy working church with worship services twice a day, but its care and maintenance are far beyond the resources of the Iona Community or the former Cathedral Trustees. A few years ago it was handed over to Historic Scotland, who are now responsible for the structure, while the Community continues to use it as before. The most visible difference is that the heavy tourist traffic has led to barriers to entry, so now you have to pay to get in, which to some of us, who look on it as a church, is exceeding objectionable unless you are there for a Community programme. However, that is the price of keeping up the building.

Our own church, 3,000 miles from Iona, is something of a local landmark, not bad looking for Victorian Gothic, a well equipped concert venue and popular for destination weddings. By most standards the congregation is healthy, but the building is slowly slipping away from us. I made the suggestion, based on the Iona model, that we get around this by giving it to the city as a community resource and using what we need of it when we need it. So far, this has not been a popular idea.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Our own church, 3,000 miles from Iona, is something of a local landmark, not bad looking for Victorian Gothic, a well equipped concert venue and popular for destination weddings. By most standards the congregation is healthy, but the building is slowly slipping away from us. I made the suggestion, based on the Iona model, that we get around this by giving it to the city as a community resource and using what we need of it when we need it. So far, this has not been a popular idea.

As a former church steward I advise you not to let this situation drift until the money actually runs out, at which point you'll just have to sell a crumbling building to the highest bidder, or else abandon it (depending on what your denomination deems to be acceptable).

However, if 'the community' can't afford to buy the building then can they even afford to maintain it? Because if they can't afford to maintain it then you won't be using it as a church for very long, even if they are willing to take it over.

On a slightly different point, I think congregations these days should be far more serious about developing the letting potential of their buildings, because expecting a declining membership to dig deeper and deeper to pay all the bills just doesn't make much sense. This is particularly urgent for Nonconformist churches, but I've seen some interesting, high quality CofE projects that involve shared use of church land, e.g. incorporating a medical centre, shopping mall or school extension as a part of the church structure.

[ 11. October 2016, 21:20: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We would love to encourage more lettings but:

- our car parking is very limited and local car parks are expensive;
- our "lettable" accommodation isn't very suitable and we'd need to spend vast sums of money into making it so;
- most times when people want to hire are when we need the rooms ourselves;
- we are in competition with other community buildings nearby;
- many hirers are unwilling to pay realistic rates which cover the building's overheads such as maintenance, caretaking, insurance etc. They just want to pay a "marginal" rate to cover heating, lighting and a little bit more.

In my last church much of the premises were hired out to a private school during the week. This paid the bills but the cost in wear and tear was great as they were poor tenants. Our own use was severely restricted and the local community ended up thinking that we were a school which hired out its hall to a church on Sunday (the building was fairly modern and didn't look "churchy").

By the way, has anyone mentioned "One Church, one hundred uses"?

[ 11. October 2016, 21:50: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Edited for sense!

quote:
Indeed not SvitlanaV2, but the church continues to relentlessly grow negatively at over 1% a year regardless of its potential - whatever that is - with evangelism - whatever that is.

Near the turn of the century it will be a third of [that.] what it is now, 760,000.

If the buildings can't be used as community resources or turned in to mosques, they must be demolished.

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Baptist Trainfan

Yes, churches obviously have to consider what's suitable for them. And the PR challenges should ideally be part of the planning.

Churches clearly need more professional advice on these matters, so that link is very useful.

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wondering, too,
When churches will fall completely out of use
What we shall turn them into, if we shall keep
A few cathedrals chronically on show,
Their parchment, plate and pyx in locked cases,
And let the rest rent-free to rain and sheep.
Shall we avoid them as unlucky places?

from Philip Larkin's Church Going

[ 12. October 2016, 01:28: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And a beautiful, ancient country church, half-a-mil from the centre of a village (pop. 269) which already possesses a somewhat decrepit but well-loved Village Hall, along a narrow lane with no parking ... what practical secular use can ever be found for that?

If "the nation" wants to preserve them as architectural heritage, that's fine - but "the nation" must then pay!

[ 12. October 2016, 08:01: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely with increasing population and demand on natural resources, we are going to need more community spaces rather than fewer? It seems to me that there are a number of activities which are much more efficient and sustainable done on a community basis than in individual households e.g. cooking and eating.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, how sick and tired I am of the Jeremiahs who constantly (and gleefully) proclaim the pending death of the C of E! There are literally thousands of parish churches up and down the country - both urban and rural - busily and faithfully proclaiming the Gospel and celebrating the Sacraments, as Our Lord commanded. Hundreds of them have re-invented themselves to some degree or other in order to be more active and available within their communities.

Cells of Our Lady of Walsingham frequently pray, not for revival, but for the conversion of England. When that day occurs, we are going to need all the churches we have!

Meanwhile, of course, it may from time to time be necessary to lay churches aside, owing to demographic changes or whatever. That's OK, but circumstances may well alter. In this fair city, an Anglican church closed nearly 40 years ago, following the depopulation of its parish, has recently been brought back into use as a place of worship by an African Pentecostal denomination, and the same applies to two other former C of E churches in the area, albeit after much shorter periods of disuse.

Rural churches are perhaps more problematical, as Baptist Trainfan points out, but IIRC there is a scheme for converting them into rentable holiday accommodation, by means of inserting 'pods' into the overall shell of the building, thus minimising disturbance to the historical fabric. Sorry, I can't offhand remember where I read of this, so can't provide a link.

Another suitable use for smaller rural churches and chapels is conversion to a house. A much-Victorianised little church in a hamlet near here has been so treated, and looks much as it did when still in use for worship, even to the extent of retaining some tombstones in the erstwhile graveyard.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
there is a scheme for converting them into rentable holiday accommodation, by means of inserting 'pods' into the overall shell of the building, thus minimising disturbance to the historical fabric.

What a splendid idea! The C of E could then retain ownership, generate an income and bring them back into use when the awakening finally materialises.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
we are going to need all the churches we have!

While this is a perfectly valid point, all the churches are no longer where all the people are, nor are they cheap or easy to maintain, nor are they fit for purpose in terms of accessibility.

We would still need some mechanism for not saddling a church community with a building that sucked all the resources and time of that community, that could be reasonably spent elsewhere.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If I may.

Here's your kill or cure emetic soporific Bishop's Finger.

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Not too sure about 'reverse mission', Martin, though I think I see your point.

The African Pentecostal churches I've mentioned are welcome and colourful additions to the local Christian scene (especially the Celestians*!), but I'm not sure to what extent they engage with the areas in which they stand. ISTM that they tend to be eclectic congregations, although perhaps (in a densely-populated urban setting) none the worse for that.

And let's not forget that new churches are being built, or have been built in recent years, in many parts of the country, whether to replace outmoded originals or to serve new housing areas. This applies as much to the 'doomed' C of E as to other denominations.

Ian J.

*localese for The Celestial Church of Christ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Gentleman and fine beer that you are, reverse mission has no chance. Apart from in the same ethnic groups. And even then. Nigerian 'missionaries' - and I've worked with a self-styled one even in sunny Leicester - aren't going to cut it with the local poor.

NOTHING can. NOTHING ever will again. But joining them. With strong, inclusive, postmodern, benevolence. Not 'fresh expressions' of piety and magic. Although they have to be embraced to be deconstructed.

Islam wins the log haul regardless.

--------------------
Love wins

Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Claims that the church is failing in rural areas are missing the point, which is that rural community life in tiny villages is struggling. I was involved in a civic Parish Council in Somerset covering two villages, one with 350 people, one with just 60. Both villages had parish churches, although the larger one only had attendance of around 8 people a week and the smaller only held 4 services a year. Both churches are otherwise open all year round for people to visit.

But in both these villages there are next to no other community facilities remaining. The bus no longer stops, the primary school has been amalgated with nearby villages, the pub went years ago, and the village shop has closed, replaced by Ocado deliveries. One village still has its village hall, but apart from the churches there really isn't much left. So the churches, struggling as they are, are the most stubbornly persistent institutions in village life.

Looking at the Parish Council minutes from 60 years ago it is clear that most people in the village worked in it and lived the different facets of their life in it. Today most villagers commute to the nearby town for work and leisure, or absorb themselves online, the village being a cosy haven to rest and have downtime. And I won't mention the number of properties that are now second homes or holiday cottages.

The problem is that there is no local body who could take on the management of these churches if it was needed. The Parish Council has an annual income of around £4000, all of which is accounted for, so would not be able to take the buildings on behalf of the local community. They will only survive for public use if they have a purpose, with an active congregation needing to use the building for worship. If they can afford to pay the bills, even if it's only three old ladies and a dog, then let them get on with it. If they can't, find some way to sell it off or just let it crumble. There's no point trying to keep a building going if it has no purpose and there's no money or will to make it work. The local church can meet in each other's houses, or break centuries of local taboo and go to the church in the next village.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The Golden Journey To Samarkand

I
We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage
And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die,
We Poets of the proud old lineage
Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why, -

What shall we tell you? Tales, marvellous tales
Of ships and stars and isles where good men rest,
Where nevermore the rose of sunset pales,
And winds and shadows fall towards the West:

And there the world's first huge white-bearded kings
In dim glades sleeping, murmur in their sleep,
And closer round their breasts the ivy clings,
Cutting its pathway slow and red and deep.

II
And how beguile you? Death has no repose
Warmer and deeper than the Orient sand
Which hides the beauty and bright faith of those
Who make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

And now they wait and whiten peaceably,
Those conquerors, those poets, those so fair:
They know time comes, not only you and I,
But the whole world shall whiten, here or there;

When those long caravans that cross the plain
With dauntless feet and sound of silver bells
Put forth no more for glory or for gain,
Take no more solace from the palm-girt wells.

When the great markets by the sea shut fast
All that calm Sunday that goes on and on:
When even lovers find their peace at last,
And Earth is but a star, that once had shone.

James Elroy Flecker

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm again - not quite sure where (or how, or why) we're journeying with Mr. Flecker...!

Uriel makes a very important and valid point re rural life - the hamlet I mentioned, where the church is now a house, also once had a school, post office, pub, etc. All gone now, converted into housing. At least in this case the main road/bus stop/town shops are not that far away, and the neighbouring villages on either side still have working Anglican churches.

Ian J.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Oh, how sick and tired I am of the Jeremiahs who constantly (and gleefully) proclaim the pending death of the C of E! There are literally thousands of parish churches up and down the country - both urban and rural - busily and faithfully proclaiming the Gospel and celebrating the Sacraments, as Our Lord commanded. Hundreds of them have re-invented themselves to some degree or other in order to be more active and available within their communities.

I don't think the link in the OP was a gleeful proclamation of 'the pending death of the CofE'. It was primarily about the oversupply of church buildings, and how to care for the buildings with tiny or no congregations.

Functioning CofE churches around the country are indeed places where God is worshipped. Some are well-attended, or are considered to be worth considerable ongoing financial support from the wider denomination even if they're not. But it would be foolish to deny that many CofE (and other) congregations are either small and/or ageing, and that the ancient buildings they're using therefore face a precarious future. As you yourself agree, there are various uses to which these buildings can be put.

(With regard to African Pentecostals and 'reverse mission', many churches probably are rather self-absorbed; but some African pastors and congregations are indeed thinking about this issue, especially those that are at the stage of planting daughter churches. Books and articles about urban mission are beginning to outline the challenges they face in grappling with 'ethnic boundaries'.)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Do you need me to highlight the most resonant sections Ian? It was inspired by what Uriel said. Uriel describes the long Sunday - see the symbolism I grabbed there? - that goes on and on, fading to dull ash.

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Point taken - thanks, Martin.

Have a beer on me!

Ian J.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Just stop being so bloody agreeable would you!

I don't want to be so sodding RIGHT all the time!!

I want HOPE!!!

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But I am an agreeable sort of chap (and the beer will make you feel better).

Seriously, though, surely the points made above by myself and others re living, working churches show that there is at least some hope?

Ian J.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And SvitlanaV2, they can overcome the 'ethnic boundaries' if they incarnate.

NOTHING else will EVER work.

I went to a fantastic Christian rehab centre in Luton about 7 years ago. It worked because you weren't allowed to work there unless you were a clean class A addict or dry alcoholic. And you weren't allowed to stay if you did not submit yourself to complete, no second chance, one strike and you're out, constant, confessional, confrontational scrutiny.

All were equal.

A car load of us went down from St. Giles Northampton for a friend's graduation.

The surprise came when we ALL had to confess.

That was all so powerful.

One poor lady in our group asked if demons were to blame.

Bless.

We're all to blame unless we get stuck in and sort it.

Unless we worship in truth.

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

All were equal.

The challenges I alluded to above might be a little different, though.

I don't know if African Pentecostals see themselves as socially superior to the white working classes among whom they might be living or ministering. Indeed, the problem could well be the other way round; the local white inhabitants might well find it socially and racially unnatural or even demeaning to submit themselves to the ministrations of a black African church leadership. History and popular perception would agree with them.

Being incarnational in this context is new terrain that's fraught with paradoxes. We expect a socially and racially privileged elite to 'climb down' to share with those below them, but what if the evangelising is being done by a group that's already towards the bottom of the pile? And if holding on to your culture is a way to redeem what the colonisers despised, how do you then dispose of it in order to evangelise among the great-grandchildren of your colonisers??

I hope these questions make some sense to you. My point is that urban mission is complex these days, and likely to become more so. It's far more than just a case of rich meeting poor.

[ 13. October 2016, 23:38: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016