homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » CofE Readers' collars

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: CofE Readers' collars
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across a reference the other day, from the 1950s, to CofE Readers having the option of wearing a black (presumably pseudo-clerical?) collar. I'd never heard of this before: has aanyone else? Anyone got pictures?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not convinced it took off - certainly not in the antipodes

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where was this reference? I wonder if it's specific to a particular diocese as there was no standard dress for Readers across the Church of England until the blue scarf was introduced in the 1960s. Before that, what Readers wore depended on which diocese they were licensed to.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had my cassock made I had the option of having an open or a closed neck. I chose to have the neck closed.
Here we are in the crypt of Rochester Cathedral waiting for the start of our Licensing service. You might just see the difference. (I'm at the front on the right)

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Where was this reference? I wonder if it's specific to a particular diocese as there was no standard dress for Readers across the Church of England until the blue scarf was introduced in the 1960s. Before that, what Readers wore depended on which diocese they were licensed to.

It was in a Church Assembly debate, noting that as you say there was no standard dress at that time: some wore badges, some scarves, and then some apparently a collar of 'funereal black'. I suppose it might have meant, as Elaine suggests, a cassock with closed neck, but the reference was definitely to a collar.

[ 28. March 2015, 08:51: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I came across a reference the other day, from the 1950s, to CofE Readers having the option of wearing a black (presumably pseudo-clerical?) collar. . . .

We used to have a Reader (now RIP), who must have been first licensed in the 1960s, who wore a black shirt and a selection of (sober) ties. I wonder if this is what was meant rather than a black clerical collar.

In the 1950s many men still wore detachable collars. I remember my father would refer to the colour of his shirt by describing the collar, as in 'white collar' and 'blue collar' worker. Maybe Readers were being identified as 'black collar' workers ('black shirt' wouldn't have sounded appropriate).

Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds feasible. I also wonder whether it may be something akin to the collars some choirs wear with their robes.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corvo
Shipmate
# 15220

- Posted      Profile for Corvo   Email Corvo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a kind of parallel with members of the Iona Community who wear (used to wear?) dark blue shirts, laymen with a tie, clerics with the bit of white plastic.
Posts: 672 | From: The Most Holy Trinity, Coach Lane, North Shields | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am soon to be ordering a new cassock - my present one is 40 years old!

A closed collar might be a good idea because I rarely wear a tie and an open neck shirt dsoesn't look good under a cassock.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvo:
bit of white plastic.

By which of course you mean the Holy and Most Sacred Collar of Tonsure [Roll Eyes]
Though I reckon they could double as a tongue flattening thingy for doctors

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Only 40? Tsah!

I rarely wear a cassock these days (being a cassock alb kinda guy) but I got my cassock second hand when I was first ordained. My mother-in-law then refurbished it for me. It's not entirely clear how old it is, but we estimate that it must be a good 50-60 years old.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

I rarely wear a cassock these days (being a cassock alb kinda guy)

HERETIC!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

HERETIC!!! [Big Grin]
Guilty as charged, m'lud.

Wanna make something of it? [Devil]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Only 40? Tsah!

Same here but need cassock with surplice for choral evensongs and any big do's at the cathederal e.g. Chrism mass, admittance & licensing of readers.

[ 29. March 2015, 17:04: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:
quote:

HERETIC!!! [Big Grin]

Take him on, Spike. Anyone who wears a cassock alb is going to be a pushover. [Smile]
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

HERETIC!!! [Big Grin]

Take him on, Spike. Anyone who wears a cassock alb is going to be a pushover. [Smile]
He might have support from unexpected quarters (though I only wear a cassock-alb for Eucharistic services - otherwise cassock and surplice)

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See the link below. Being on the other side of the pond (plus a whole continent), I've only seen this on "Rev."

Lay Readers Kit

How did the scarf get started, anyway? To me it looks too much like a priest's stole; I'd think it would be confusing to onlookers.

[ 02. April 2015, 19:58: Message edited by: Al Eluia ]

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

According to the 1950s source I mentioned in the OP, where readers then were allowed to wear scarves, they had to be of a colour which would not be confused with a priest's scarf or stole and did not have any liturgical significance. As a rule, in the CofE blue is not one of the liturgical colours, so presumably it was chosen because it was more dignified than, what, brown or orange. Grey might have worked, I suppose.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lay Readers wear cassock, surplice and a blue scarf. They just do. That's it. Nobody else does. They don't wear a clerical collar. Priests wear a black scarf or a stole which is never blue. Deacons wear a black scarf or a stole. If they wear a stole it goes over one shoulder and clipped or tied at the side.

What do Readers wear in other countries? Don't they wear the same, or do other countries not have them?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Grey might have worked, I suppose.

Grey was used in some dioceses into my living memory, but blue won the popularity contest.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Ah, not a bad guess, then!
BTW ISTR deaconesses wearing cassocks in a sort of reader blue. Was that a standard thing, or was it just that the two in our town happened to choose the same colour?

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Priests wear a black scarf or a stole which is never blue.

I've seen priests in blue stoles for feasts of Our Lady

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Offeiriad:
quote:
Grey might have worked, I suppose.

Grey was used in some dioceses into my living memory, but blue won the popularity contest.
I may be wrong, but I've a feeling Readers on the Isle of Man wear grey scarves

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
What do Readers wear in other countries? Don't they wear the same, or do other countries not have them?

In Episcopal churches it's either cassock-alb or cassock and surplice depending on parish practice. In some congregations lay readers are not vested.

What Albertus said about the color makes sense, although I'm aware some churches use blue for Advent.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes, but blue for Advent or feasts of Our Lady is rather a minority thing here, and I'd guess was even more so in the 50s and 60s.
Isle of Man- all in blue here. A pity really because I think a dark steel or graphite would look rather smart and elegantly austere.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah, not a bad guess, then!
BTW ISTR deaconesses wearing cassocks in a sort of reader blue. Was that a standard thing, or was it just that the two in our town happened to choose the same colour?

Deaconnesses often wear blue but these are deaconesses in the sense of belonging to a order that is part of Diakonia.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016