homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » News story

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: News story
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether this belongs in Purgatory or in Dead Horses.

In Wilmington, Delaware, a pair of young women were ordained recently in the Presbyterian church. They are in fact lesbians who are married to one another. In photographs in the news stories, they look like a happy couple.

I think we should congratulate them on their ordination (and on being a happy couple). I believe some people reacting quite negatively. Will this cause trouble between the Presbyterians and other denominations? Has anyone heard of a similar event? If so, what happened?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure that any discussion re same-sex marriage, or conflicting denominational views or ordaining gay people, will make this a Dead Horse. So away it goes.

(Where I will still have to Host it anyway)

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by HCH:

quote:
If so, what happened?
Well, typically, such events are followed by a flood, hurricane, earthquake or such and attended by four equestrians.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trouble with other denominations? What's going to be done that hasn't already been done in the past?
Are they going to be told that they're in theological error? Are they going to be denied unification? No more interdenominational prayer breakfasts?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I'm pretty sure that any discussion re same-sex marriage, or conflicting denominational views or ordaining gay people, will make this a Dead Horse. So away it goes.

(Where I will still have to Host it anyway)

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Seems like a Double Dead Horse since it also involves "the role of women in church".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite the same, but almost 20 years ago friends of ours were ordained together as elders in their Presbyterian church. (Elders are lay members of the congregation, who are ordained to serve their church.)

They were the first of our friends to be ordained as elders, and we suspected that their church ordained them together partly as a seal of approval on their relationship, at a time when gay couples could not get married or enter into a civil partnership.

Certainly, their church was sending out a clear message that a gay couple could be ordained as elders.

Edited to add - What happened? Nothing AFAIK. Like all other elders, they've spent many hours in tedious church meetings. Except that as they were young when they became elders, they've had more tedious meetings than most.

[ 07. April 2015, 21:23: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's an article on the women's ordination and the gay Christian scene in Wilmington.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016