homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ethics of surrogacy (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ethics of surrogacy
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always had serious reservations in regard to the issue of surrogacy. This was crystallized for me in a programme I saw on tv where very poor Indian women were forced by their husbands to be part of the baby making farm so that the husbands could make money from the venture. After the baby was handed over, the woman was made to do it all over again. The majority of people paying for the service were rich Westerners. I feel ashamed that there are people willing to do this to the poor and defenceless.
We've had a case in Australia where twins were born, but the Australian parents rejected one of the children as he was born with Down's syndrome. They returned to Australia with just one child. I would like to see an end to commercial surrogacy - maybe a case can be made for some altruistic arrangements within one's own family, but there would be few of these.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that the would-be parents did not realize that the women were under duress. Some people are very sheltered/privileged/ignorant in that way, and the possibility doesn't occur to them. Or if it does, they assume that checking out the agency for bad behavior is sufficient, and fail to consider intra-familial pressure as a possibility.

(Hey, it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, and I'm not exactly sheltered. But I have seen way more of the world than most of my class / culture, and so it's instantly believable to me. Probably not to most of them.)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect I'm old fashioned on this. I am sure there will be many shipmates will regard me as prejudiced and out of date, but I think surrogacy for cash is ethically beyond the pale and emotionally disgusting. I'm not even that comfortable with the concept even if not done for money.

When there were grumbles about the Patriarch of Moscow's intervention on this subject, I agreed with him.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree but my beliefs are also notably old fashioned compared to those of most shipmates.

Get off my lawn you damn hippies! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
The majority of people paying for the service were rich Westerners. I feel ashamed that there are people willing to do this to the poor and defenceless.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I'm not even that comfortable with the concept even if not done for money.

And yet a type of surrogacy seems to be at the heart of one of the oldest and most agreed-upon Christian doctrines.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking here as someone who has relatives who were born by surrogacy, I find it hard to see anything wrong in it, provided that the surrogate is not under duress, and is being appropriately paid. In my cousin's case there was no poor Indians but rather a white American woman who was very well recompensed, above and beyond the contract. The only thing I can see is that the amounts of money involved make the whole procedure well beyond the pockets of most people. But it was ever so with luxury items.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only if one rejects the Council of Chalcedon which I do not.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an article which talks of the situations raised in the OP.

I am not old fashioned, but I am not a particular fan of surrogacy. Whilst it can be agreeable to all parties in some situations, I think the potential for problems is high.
If one feels they must have a child, adoption is a more ethical/moral choice.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adoption might be a more ethical / moral choice, but adoption in the UK is not easy and may be impossible.

That's not an argument in favour of surrogacy, but surrogacy may be achievable in instances when adoption is not an option.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is important to say again that children are not commodities to be bought and sold. The thought of this happening is deeply disturbing to me.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the issue is buying and selling of children but rather the renting of the use of one's body. At least in cases where the embryos implanted are the biological children of the contracting couple, rather than the biological children of the surrogate.

Granted I do think there's room for plenty of abuses, but the way around that is not outlawing the procedure, but rather it's regulation.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not want children, however I would like to have surrogate children for others. Since my sister does not want children either, it would be for people outside my family. I don't understand why it would be wrong for me to offer that?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see that it would be straight-up wrong, but I do see that many people (most people?) heading into that situation would be woefully unprepared for the potential impacts. Some of the stuff you'd have to consider:

What if you fall in love with the child? (Keep in mind that you've got major hormonal issues going on during pregnancy and after birth)

What if the child turns out "defective" according to the definition of the biological parents? You could find yourself faced with anything from pressure to abort to pressure to keep the child as your own.

What if the parents make promises they don't keep (i.e. financial?) People do go bankrupt, die, etc.

What if (God forbid) the pregnancy had a substantial unexpected bad effect on your health? How far are you prepared to go to preserve the unborn child's life and health if it comes into conflict with your own? And what if that decision is in conflict with that of the parents?

What if you find the job opp/love of a lifetime/whatever just when you're seven months along and chances are good you're going to miss out just because you're pregnant? (discrimination happens)

What if the child, later in life, comes looking for you?

What if the child, later in life, is in need of some sort (say, is in the foster system/ develops severe schizophrenia / is in a financial hole / whatever) and you find out accidentally? Are you going to feel any emotional tug or responsibility, and if so, what is that going to do to your then-established life?

This is not to say "don't do it." It's to say, "Think through all the possibilities and count the potential cost before you do it" (preferably with the help of a slightly paranoid advisor) so you don't have to deal with this stuff on the hop.

In my experience, few people are sufficiently paranoid. [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect I'm old fashioned on this. I am sure there will be many shipmates will regard me as prejudiced and out of date, but I think surrogacy for cash is ethically beyond the pale and emotionally disgusting. I'm not even that comfortable with the concept even if not done for money.

When there were grumbles about the Patriarch of Moscow's intervention on this subject, I agreed with him.

Please explain why I, an adult acting of my own free will, should not altruistically offer myself as a surrogate. It wouldn't be for cash but I don't see why I shouldn't get expenses paid. I cannot understand what is disgusting about an adult acting of their own free will in offering surrogacy for cash - it is their body after all.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

But Pomona, I think you would be the exception in what happens in surrogacy. Of course there are circumstances when altruistic surrogacy happens without any money involved, but the majority of surrogacies are commercially based, usually involving very poor women bearing children for money. Some third world countries are realising this and are tightening up on the regulations. I would like to see commercial surrogacy made illegal and even altruistic surrogacy strictly regulated to protect all the parties involved, including the babies.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAIK, and certainly in my own state, commercial surrogacy is banned in Australia. It is also illegal to advertise either that you are prepared to become a surrogate, or that you are seeking a surrogate mother. Altruistic surrogacy is permitted as is an arrangement for the payment of reasonable expenses associated with becoming pregnant, during the pregnancy or the confinement itself. While any agreement to pay these expenses is enforceable in some circumstances, no other aspect of the agreement may be enforced. Then there is a series of provisions relating to birth registration and so forth.

It's worth noting that the Act sets the best interests of the child as the paramount principle in the legislation and any agreement.

The case to which Bib referred involved an agreement outside of Australia and thus not caught by the legislation.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In which case I strongly suggest you neither act as a surrogate nor seek the services of one. The question is more whether your discomfort is indicative of any factor that should guide the law for other people who don't share your discomfort.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since only natural conception is morally licit, and since the required sexual act is only morally licit within marriage between the married couple, practically all modern surrogacies are immoral simply by considering their provenance. Only the case where a married couple is intentionally having regular sex in order to conceive children for somebody else is worth further moral consideration. This obviously interrupts the natural chain of procreation, which includes the raising of children. Hence I would consider this as immoral on similar grounds to the immorality of contraception. However, as mentioned, most modern surrogacies do not even require these further moral considerations, since they are arranged by immoral means.

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Only if one rejects the Council of Chalcedon which I do not.

I assume this was in reference to the virgin birth. It is not clear to me just how you would argue against Crœsos' comment from Chalcedon. (FWIW, I do not believe that God needs to follow the moral code He assigned to human beings, nor indeed any other moral code, so for me Crœsos' comment has no force at all. But you seem to have something else in mind.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
I cannot understand what is disgusting about an adult acting of their own free will in offering surrogacy for cash - it is their body after all.

There is very little free will involved when the poorest in society feel they need to do this for cash.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would like to see commercial surrogacy made illegal and even altruistic surrogacy strictly regulated to protect all the parties involved, including the babies.

Word.

And then there’s this case, where the attitude and outcome was harshly punitive towards the surrogate mother (who was obviously desperate to keep her child):

Fixed link

I wasn’t a fan of surrogacy before I read about this case, and I am even less of a fan of it now. I can accept it more within an existing family context, e.g. a mother bearing a child for her infertile daughter, or vice versa.

But I find commercial surrogacy (the sole preserve of the very rich, ripe for exploiting the very poor) morally repulsive, and I am disturbed by how the birth mother was treated in the case above. Obviously the relationship between her and the gay couple who are now parents to her child had completely broken down: I am sympathetic to their personal pain, just as I would be sympathetic to any prospective adopter where the birth mother has changed her mind. And the woman was no saint – that’s clear. But neither was she an abusive mother.

A woman WILL bond with her unborn child - it's a force of nature. This is a child we're talking about, not property. As an adoptee, I know that this ‘primal wound’ stuff is for real - why else do people go in search of their biological origins?

Decades ago, birth mothers who gave up their babies for adoption had very little legal rights, were allowed no agency and had very little moral or practical support. In recent years that injustice was rectified: birth parents who had given up their children for adoption (often through societal coercion, to be blunt) were finally granted the right to gain access to their childrens’ birth records. (Adoptees were granted this same right 40 years ago.) And yet now this recent ruling in UK law exhibited a 'you have no rights whatsoever' stance towards a surrogate mother.

Trust me on this one: donor children, and children born of surrogacy, will start asking the exact same questions we adoptees do. Will the law be on their side, as it is for adoptees?

[Fixed link - Eliab]

[ 03. June 2015, 18:57: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
originally posted by IngoB:
I assume this was in reference to the virgin birth. It is not clear to me just how you would argue against Crœsos' comment from Chalcedon.

The idea of Mary as surrogate is not compatible with the Chalcedonian Definition which states:

quote:
the Self-same Perfect in Manhood; truly God and truly Man; the Self-same of a rational soul and body; co-essential with the Father according to the Godhead, the Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin apart; before the ages begotten of the Father as to the Godhead, but in the last days, the Self-same, for us and for our salvation (born) of Mary the Virgin Theotokos as to the Manhood;
In addressing Nestorianism, the Council of Ephesus affirmed the hypostatic union and that Mary was in fact Mother of God. However, Nestorius was accused of diminishing the divinity of Christ not the humanity of Christ. Holding that Mary was only a surrogate would be heretical because it fails to affirm the humanity of Christ which was the issue at Chalcedon with Eutyches overreaction to Nestorianism. Jesus was as much the son of Mary as the son of God.

quote:
originally posted by IngoB:
(FWIW, I do not believe that God needs to follow the moral code He assigned to human beings, nor indeed any other moral code, so for me Crœsos' comment has no force at all. But you seem to have something else in mind.)

I don't believe God needs to follow the moral code He assigned to human beings either. Jesus was not conceived through a morally licit act. On the other hand, Jesus has no mother but Mary.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It strikes me there are two different ethical issues smouldering under this one.

First, there is one rich person (usually two rich people) hiring the womb of one poor person to carry a child for them. Second, there's whether it's ethical to do this at all, irrespective of the money involved.

As regards the first issue, I can't see any real ground for discussion on this. It is disgusting in the same way as buying and selling third world kidneys is. One can see the power of the emotional and economic drivers are on both sides. I sympathise with them. If I were dying of kidney disease and thought spending lots of money might get me a few more years, or were a desperately poor person with sick children and a kidney that appears to be OK at the moment, I'd feel under enormous pressure to go down that road. It's the fact that modern science means those two temptations now exist so forcibly, which is why it seems to me so self-evident that that the transaction should be forbidden and those caught should be heavily penalised. The penalties for those caught buying or facilitating should be higher than for those caught selling.

IMHO, surrogacy for cash should be forbidden for the same reason. I agree with Australia on that one.

As for the second I accept that I'm less unequivocal on a blanket forbidding of surrogacy between close relatives or where no money changes hands apart from out of pocket expenses. Organ donation between close relatives though, is different from organ selling for cash. I'm still uncomfortable about one family member pressurising another - 'if you can do it, you have a duty to'.

I still have to admit, though, that I find the idea of surrogate pregnancy distasteful even between blood sisters and this is in a yuck sort of way. I also don't think one should either ignore the yuck reaction to ethical dilemmas or insist that it must bow every time to the dissuasively rational.

Pomona and Karl, that's my response. I suspect you'll neither of you agree, but I also suspect you'll be wasting your time trying to persuade me to change my mind.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
I cannot understand what is disgusting about an adult acting of their own free will in offering surrogacy for cash - it is their body after all.

There is very little free will involved when the poorest in society feel they need to do this for cash.
But I'm not the poorest in society needing to do this for cash, so what's it got to do with my situation?

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:
I would like to see commercial surrogacy made illegal and even altruistic surrogacy strictly regulated to protect all the parties involved, including the babies.

Word.

And then there’s this case, where the attitude and outcome was harshly punitive towards the surrogate mother (who was obviously desperate to keep her child):

http://www.spiked-online.com/…/the-inhumanity-of-bri…/17012…

I wasn’t a fan of surrogacy before I read about this case, and I am even less of a fan of it now. I can accept it more within an existing family context, e.g. a mother bearing a child for her infertile daughter, or vice versa.

But I find commercial surrogacy (the sole preserve of the very rich, ripe for exploiting the very poor) morally repulsive, and I am disturbed by how the birth mother was treated in the case above. Obviously the relationship between her and the gay couple who are now parents to her child had completely broken down: I am sympathetic to their personal pain, just as I would be sympathetic to any prospective adopter where the birth mother has changed her mind. And the woman was no saint – that’s clear. But neither was she an abusive mother.

A woman WILL bond with her unborn child - it's a force of nature. This is a child we're talking about, not property. As an adoptee, I know that this ‘primal wound’ stuff is for real - why else do people go in search of their biological origins?

Decades ago, birth mothers who gave up their babies for adoption had very little legal rights, were allowed no agency and had very little moral or practical support. In recent years that injustice was rectified: birth parents who had given up their children for adoption (often through societal coercion, to be blunt) were finally granted the right to gain access to their childrens’ birth records. (Adoptees were granted this same right 40 years ago.) And yet now this recent ruling in UK law exhibited a 'you have no rights whatsoever' stance towards a surrogate mother.

Trust me on this one: donor children, and children born of surrogacy, will start asking the exact same questions we adoptees do. Will the law be on their side, as it is for adoptees?

But the surrogate is not the mother, it is not their child. So of course they have no rights, and if I were a surrogate I would not expect such rights.

Again, please tell me why an adult doing it for altruistic reasons and not money shouldn't be allowed to volunteer as a surrogate, if they're aware of the risks? It's their body.

If you don't like surrogacy, don't be a surrogate or use one. Frankly it's none of your business what other adults decide to do with their reproductive systems.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
It strikes me there are two different ethical issues smouldering under this one.

First, there is one rich person (usually two rich people) hiring the womb of one poor person to carry a child for them. Second, there's whether it's ethical to do this at all, irrespective of the money involved.

As regards the first issue, I can't see any real ground for discussion on this. It is disgusting in the same way as buying and selling third world kidneys is. One can see the power of the emotional and economic drivers are on both sides. I sympathise with them. If I were dying of kidney disease and thought spending lots of money might get me a few more years, or were a desperately poor person with sick children and a kidney that appears to be OK at the moment, I'd feel under enormous pressure to go down that road. It's the fact that modern science means those two temptations now exist so forcibly, which is why it seems to me so self-evident that that the transaction should be forbidden and those caught should be heavily penalised. The penalties for those caught buying or facilitating should be higher than for those caught selling.

IMHO, surrogacy for cash should be forbidden for the same reason. I agree with Australia on that one.

As for the second I accept that I'm less unequivocal on a blanket forbidding of surrogacy between close relatives or where no money changes hands apart from out of pocket expenses. Organ donation between close relatives though, is different from organ selling for cash. I'm still uncomfortable about one family member pressurising another - 'if you can do it, you have a duty to'.

I still have to admit, though, that I find the idea of surrogate pregnancy distasteful even between blood sisters and this is in a yuck sort of way. I also don't think one should either ignore the yuck reaction to ethical dilemmas or insist that it must bow every time to the dissuasively rational.

Pomona and Karl, that's my response. I suspect you'll neither of you agree, but I also suspect you'll be wasting your time trying to persuade me to change my mind.

Could you perhaps expand on the yuck response? Could you say why exactly you have such a response?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

But I'm not the poorest in society needing to do this for cash, so what's it got to do with my situation?
Yes, there are overlapping arguments here. One, poor women being exploited; two, the ethics of surrogacy itself.

One might accept surrogacy, yet disagree with exploiting people, as with kidney transplants, and probably, many other things.

So it might be very difficult to stamp out exploitation, since poor people are often the victims of this, see payday loans.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the fact that poor people are so in need of money they are hiring out their bodies for rich people to use, doing something they wouldn't ordinarily want to do - how different is this from all kinds of ordinary, low wage work?
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
Regarding the fact that poor people are so in need of money they are hiring out their bodies for rich people to use, doing something they wouldn't ordinarily want to do - how different is this from all kinds of ordinary, low wage work?

I think one factor is that in a patriarchal society, women's bodies were the property of men. Of course, some of the poor women acting as surrogates, may be obeying their husbands, but I wonder if there is a conservative insistence (as with other areas of female sexuality), that women must be curtailed by law, whereas the normal exploitation of women (say, as cleaners), is just fine.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Holding that Mary was only a surrogate would be heretical because it fails to affirm the humanity of Christ which was the issue at Chalcedon with Eutyches overreaction to Nestorianism. Jesus was as much the son of Mary as the son of God.

Ah, sorry, I see the problem now. I was thinking "traditional" surrogacy, whereas you were thinking "gestational" surrogacy. See here. Chalcedon rules out the latter, but not the former.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There was a time when I was of the "Why not it's her body?" school, but these days I'm more inclined to look at this through the child's eyes and I'm more apt to worry about the after effects.

I don't actually agree that there is always a lot of bonding in the womb. Yes there's a child in there but so is my liver and I don't love it. I, like many parents, bonded with my baby after everyone had gone home and I was alone with him in the night, his eyes clearly trusting me, a twenty one year old, with his whole life. Up until then I had felt mostly, nausea, anemic exhaustion and overwhelming anxiety.

My best-friend at the time (1968) gave a baby up for adoption and, while it was a hurtful experience, she was still able to return to college a few days later (her mother never knew) and go on with her life.

I think the idea of bonding with the baby while it's in the womb has been very much exaggerated by the anti-abortion movement. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not a certain thing in every case.

What I understand much better today is the feeling of rejection that so many adopted people carry all their lives. At the time of my friend's decision the conventional wisdom was that it would be very selfish to keep the child. At the time mother and child would have been socially ostracized and we envisioned a nice, "Father Knows Best," life for the baby instead. So when I hear adoptees wondering what was wrong with them that their mothers could give them up, I want to remind them that all her friends and family were telling her that if she truly cared about her baby she would, "Give it to a good home."

My fear is that the child of a surrogate would feel the same rejection, because a hundred Hallmark movies and modern women's novels have told us that the woman whose womb we come from would cross miles of hot coals barefoot to keep her baby with her. I'm sure there are many happily married women, who longed for a child, sitting in a fully prepared nursery, looking at the sonogram (we didn't have them then) and feeling a love across time and space for her yet to be born child. Not every young mother has the confidence or security to indulge those dreams or develop a love at that point.

But the adopted child often won't believe that, so I guess I'm against surrogacy.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I'm fine with people who are against surrogacy; you don't have to do it.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the surrogate is not the mother, it is not their child. So of course they have no rights, and if I were a surrogate I would not expect such rights.

You say that now. You might feel very differently during the pregnancy or after the birth. (Not saying you WOULD, but that you MIGHT). I can see how surrogacy as you envisage it could be a selfless thing.

But in adoption circles we talk about the adoption triangle. Well, here you have the surrogacy triangle, bio parents and birth mother, because that's what she is technically, even if she didn't supply the genes. It IS her child in a way if she carries it for nine months.

quote:
Again, please tell me why an adult doing it for altruistic reasons and not money shouldn't be allowed to volunteer as a surrogate, if they're aware of the risks? It's their body.
I haven't said that altruistic surrogacy shouldn’t be ALLOWED. (I think everyone in this thread is agreed that commercial surrogacy is repugnant.) I’m just pointing out that the whole thing can become a legal and moral quagmire, hence the need for altruistic surrogacy to be strictly regulated, for the protection and good mental health of all parties.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I think the idea of bonding with the baby while it's in the womb has been very much exaggerated by the anti-abortion movement. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not a certain thing in every case.

I didn't have in mind so much bonding in the womb as the interrupted bonding between birth mother and child post-birth: the adopted child must bond yet again with new parents, and that earlier, broken, bonding can haunt some of us like a ghost.

quote:
What I understand much better today is the feeling of rejection that so many adopted people carry all their lives. At the time of my friend's decision the conventional wisdom was that it would be very selfish to keep the child. At the time mother and child would have been socially ostracized and we envisioned a nice, "Father Knows Best," life for the baby instead. So when I hear adoptees wondering what was wrong with them that their mothers could give them up, I want to remind them that all her friends and family were telling her that if she truly cared about her baby she would, "Give it to a good home."
I was happily adopted and never wondered what was 'wrong' with me. I worked out fairly early on that my birth mother had been unmarried and pregnant in a very judgmental time and I felt compassion for her. I never once blamed her for giving me up: I understood perfectly why she had, and when I finally met her, there was nothing she needed in my eyes to justify herself for. It was a successful reunion. [Smile]

But on a psychic (and I would say spiritual) level, the breaking of that primal bond leaves a scar. Separation anxiety and fear of abandonment are big issues for adoptees, as you have rightly discerned.

quote:
My fear is that the child of a surrogate would feel the same rejection.
It’s possible. Between the desire of the childless couple for a family, and the wish of a surrogate mother to provide them with a child, I’m not hearing much about the possible effects on the child.

People need to join the dots between adoption and surrogacy and donor-conceived children. They're not identical situations, but they're similar. To pretend that a surrogate mother might not actually start to feel an intense bond with her child, and to pretend that the child (however happy they are with their biological parents) might not also feel a great interest in the woman who bore him/her for nine months, is to be in some kind of denial ... that's my honest opinion.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

But you see, this is a discussion thread where we each get to voice our opinion about the ethics of surrogacy. It's not a thread to see if Quetzacoatl is fine with us or not.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, that is cute. But are you saying you are fine with the current situation in India? Were women are indentured into surrogacy by their husbands? Where they are treated a mobile wombs more than they are people.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Well, that is cute. But are you saying you are fine with the current situation in India? Were women are indentured into surrogacy by their husbands? Where they are treated a mobile wombs more than they are people.
Well, my last post but one was talking about poor women being exploited, and the last one, the control of women's bodies by men, so what do you think?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:

But you see, this is a discussion thread where we each get to voice our opinion about the ethics of surrogacy. It's not a thread to see if Quetzacoatl is fine with us or not.
Well, gosh, that's just super, much gratitude for that.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, my last post but one was talking about poor women being exploited, and the last one, the control of women's bodies by men, so what do you think?
Apologies, I had not read that. And that earlier statement is much more I tune with my view of you.
That said, I think that there is room for the discussion of the ethics of surrogacy even contained within the frame of free choice and ample care for the surrogate, future parents and child.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But t
[QUOTE]Again, please tell me why an adult doing it for altruistic reasons and not money shouldn't be allowed to volunteer as a surrogate, if they're aware of the risks? It's their body.

I haven't said that altruistic surrogacy shouldn’t be ALLOWED. (I think everyone in this thread is agreed that commercial surrogacy is repugnant.) I’m just pointing out that the whole thing can become a legal and moral quagmire, hence the need for altruistic surrogacy to be strictly regulated, for the protection and good mental health of all parties.
I'm not sure I would say that all commercial surrogacy is "repugnant." Obviously anything coerced or exploitative as noted above would be. But then, "altruistic" surrogacy could also be exploitative or coerced-- hence the need, as you note, for close regulation.

The fact of the matter is, we have all sorts of paid work that is altruistic and in a perfect world would not be done for money. I'm a pastor, working with the poor and homeless, there's always that sense that my salary is taking away from those far more needy than I. We pay foster parents. All sorts of people are paid for altruistic work simply because it allows them to dedicate time they would not otherwise be able to give. The same seems to apply to surrogacy-- you are asking for a tremendous sacrifice of time, comfort, and possibly even health. Depending on the (mostly unpredictable) complications the surrogate encounters, she may not be able to work for some of her pregnancy. Some financial renumeration doesn't seem all that inappropriate here.

The problem, of course, is that it gets complicated. With money comes the possibility that the infant-to-be is treated as a commodity to be bought-and-sold-- leading to the kind of problem alluded to earlier when the outcome isn't what the genetic parents bargained for. Surrogacy is indeed, as you said, a legal and moral quagmire, but I don't think the commercial/altruistic divide necessarily helps resolve those difficulties.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not want children, however I would like to have surrogate children for others. Since my sister does not want children either, it would be for people outside my family. I don't understand why it would be wrong for me to offer that?

I hope this isn't a rude question, and I don't ask it with an agenda or a formed opinion on surrogacy, but would you mind expanding on why you'd like to do that?

I'm mostly asking because I can't imagine myself doing it, and I'd like to understand a bit more about how someone who can imagine doing it views it.
I don't have children, I would have loved to (I've never really had the fixed "want to be pregnant and have biological children" drive, I want to bring them up, but I'd be perfectly happy to adopt, even with all the problems that brings up, and would have, given the choice, adopted as well if I'd had my own genetic children) but I'm 36 now, and nobody is likely to want to procreate with me, and I've never earned enough to be able to adopt on my own.
So you can see that my starting point seems quite different from yours, and I'd really like to understand something of what the view from over where you are is, because it's interesting and I'm curious.

Of course, I know it might be a question you'd rather not answer at all, so feel free to ignore it, or to tell me if I'm being rude in asking it.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a fan of children. I cannot imagine having lived without having them in my life. While not approving necessarily of surrogacy, I should want to know what the 1 in 6 infertile couples should do. Adoption in Canada is a wait list for at least 5-7 years, fertility treatment and in vitro fertilization has run friend into the $50,000 range without success, international adoption is easily $30K....

Should infertile people accept they cannot have kids? Divorce and find a fertile person? What should they do?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Well, to be completely honest, my thought is why should someone have children simply because they want them?
Now understand, I am not saying it is anyone else' right to tell another that they cannot have children.
But why do you have to?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well, if we hew to nothing but logic here, nobody HAS to. Neither do people HAVE to use wheelchairs, walkers, or canes--wear hearing aids--or do any of the myriad things that enable the disabled to have something akin to the life that most people take for granted.

But for a lot of people, having children is a desperately strong urge. One that can become consuming, one that causes desperate pain. And the options of adoption, fostering, etc. are often not possible, sometimes for no better reason than missing the age cut-off by a year or two, or having too few bathrooms (and not enough money to remedy the lack).

Nobody has a supreme moral right to have children, just as nobody has a supreme moral right to walk. But we really have to be damn careful about denying help to people coping with such a desperate loss.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Maybe I should have expanded that a bit. To the unwillingly childless person, this disability is more than a disappointment. It is a grief for all the family they will never have, and the grief can grow stronger with age. I have one son, and would have loved to have four--but it's a miracle I have even the one. I love him passionately. But I still have nightmares about being alone in my old age--having nobody to love and to talk to, to visit if I'm shut in, to care when I die. (Yes, yes, I know that ymmv and it's possible to create substitute ties. I'm explaining what I feel and have felt. There are others in the world like me.)

And this is not a purely selfish passion. I had my son primarily so I could love him, not so he could love me. I will continue to love him even if (God forbid) he cuts all ties with me when he is grown. At least I will know that he exists, that I can pray for him. I will have hope that he himself will create a family to love and to love him back. This is the way I am made. Others are made differently--including one of my closest friends. And that's okay.

But there's no need to compare griefs or levels of suffering. We can try to help one another through them, even if we don't totally understand them at a gut level.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, to be completely honest, my thought is why should someone have children simply because they want them?
Now understand, I am not saying it is anyone else' right to tell another that they cannot have children.
But why do you have to?

Why do any of us want to live?

Children for me/us is just so basic. Foundational. A reason for living. A good measure is probably cultural within my family due to 80% of them being war killed, but that's so deep an assumption we don't really talk of it.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, my mother had an overpowering urge to have kids, and she had miscarriages after me, but kept on trying. It seems odd to ask why humans want that, since so many things are geared towards survival and reproduction. I think also it fulfills people, (not just women).

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Well, if we hew to nothing but logic here, nobody HAS to. Neither do people HAVE to use wheelchairs, walkers, or canes--wear hearing aids--or do any of the myriad things that enable the disabled to have something akin to the life that most people take for granted.

Not the same thing in the slightest. Counteracting a disability is simply not comparable.

I understand the biological pull. I truly understand the emotional pull. I am not questioning this.

quote:
It seems odd to ask why humans want that,

Did not ask why.

It is a natural drive for most people. It is part of why we are a successful species. It will also be the death of our species.
But my comment wasn't really about that.
It was more about want v. need. We put a high subjective value on what we want, this is natural. All I am questioning is the true value.

[ 08. June 2015, 20:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Lilbuddha, have you been unwillingly infertile? Have you been disabled? I have been both, and I can tell you that the pain is exactly the same in my experience. In fact, the infertility was by far the worse, as it affected my entire family (both existing and nonexisting) while my disability mainly affects myself. In fact, I would go so far as to say that infertility is a disability, and a shared disability for most people--to your own pain you add having to watch your spouse suffer, neither of you able to help the other.

There are certainly those who do not have this experience of infertility. But many of us do. And yes, it is in fact a disability, and an invisible one, which is all the crueler in many ways.

Why would you say it is not a disability? It is a basic bodily function which does NOT function. It has a significant and painful impact on the lives of most people who have it. It has an incredibly strong social impact on them as well, which can go as far as outright ostracism in some societies, particularly for women. It has an undoubted financial impact, particularly in old age, by diminishing the safety net so many elders rely on.

The fact that certain people have no trouble with it does not mean it is not a significant disability for a great many other people.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

quote:
(I think everyone in this thread is agreed that commercial surrogacy is repugnant.)
Hello, what am I, chopped liver? As I noted above, I have relatives who were born through commercial surrogacy, and I certainly don't find it repugnant.

Personally I feel that making commercial surrogacy illegal and forcing people to go overseas, instead of regulating it safely, is a lot more repugnant than the bare idea of commercial surrogacy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I will not debate your pain, LC. That is not for me to judge.
Anything which causes a person to not be able to function as typical can be a disability.
Not debating this.
One problem here is that we humans are very much more partial to Zero Sum equations than we often admit.
Let me step away from this particular issue and discuss my nephew.
  • He is the dearest person in the world to me, bar none. Not hyperbole, merely fact. There is no one I would do more for. I am constantly glad he exists and would have nothing change this.
  • His conception was a mistake. My sister became pregnant for the wrong reasons and if she had been thinking clearly, he would not exist.
Both of those are equally true. Both 100% true.
If time travel existed, I would not allow anyone to go back and change her decision. It remains, however, that it was not a good one.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

For profit surrogacy is illegal in Canada. So is selling blood, organs, eggs and sperm. Donation only. Paying someone's expenses is legal for surrogacy. But no wages, no paying of debts, no paying third parties for locating a surrogate mother. Designed to prevent exploitation. Of course health care related to pregnancy is free and illegal to charge for.

Haven't heard of a case where a mom decided to keep the baby. I expect she would have a good case to. In Quebec no surrogacy contract of any kind is enforceable.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016