homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Allergies (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Allergies
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure I'm not the only allergy sufferer on the boards - in fact I know I'm not.

The ones I can prevent aren't so bad - I avoid anything that might be caffeinated or have chocolate in it and if I fuck up, as I do sometimes I try not to complain too much - though when a friend insisted Green Tea had no caffeine in it and I didn't sleep for two nights I was, at the very least, mildly peeved!

It's the others that really get to me, the unavoidable ones - particularly, today, it is Teak Blossom, more specifically Teak Pollen, but there are other triggers as well. My eyes have been streaming for hours and I am averaging a sneeze every couple of minutes, sometimes several percussive sneezes in a row. Anti-histamines are good and I take them daily but on a bad day they seem to take forever to kick in - and then there are the days [like today] when I am eventually forced to increase the dosage and the extra pills take half the fucking day to work!

[/Rant]

Not after sympathy, what's the point?

Not sure what I'm after [nothing, probably] but I fucking HATE allergies!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto for pine pollen, fortunately not at this time of the year.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All these exotic pollens causing misery. How about plain old dust, spores and pollen. Not to mention lactose? It make my life miserable 24/7/365, and causes me to spend thousands of dollars since 1970 on antihistamines (though not recently thanks to sensibly-priced Indian antihistamines.)

Although I can mostly avoid products containing lactose, the buggers sometimes sneak one past me, such as the day when a product that has never bothered me before was prepared differently and was chock-ful of milk (not advertised).

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Birch pollen does it for me, though it seems to have got a little better over the last few years. Still, it's a pain in the arse, I agree.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the winter I wonder why I never got much done in the garden in the summer.

When summer arrives I remember - a-a-a-a-atishchhhhooooo!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bastarding oil seed rape is driving me to distraction at the moment. It appears every farmer in a ten mile radius is currently growing it. I am fed up of fuzzy heads, bleeding noses and streaming eyes and that's with antihistimines.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago people were urged to move to Arizona because it was supposed to be good for respiratory problems. So they moved to the desert and missed their plants from home. Now they've planted all the pollen-bearing trees and flowers. And they can grow things they couldn't "back home" -- like olive trees which do their best to make my life a living hell every spring. As the population grows, we can also add general pollution to the mix, and our climate (especially in the Phoenix area, which is in a valley surrounded by mountains) holds all the pollen and pollution in a cloud of gunk that just sits here. When a good wind storm comes to blow it away, it's usually a dust storm (or haboob!), which of course makes matters worse.
[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If sneezing troubles you, do not neglect the OTC nasal sprays. Flonase and Nasalcort are lifesavers. With it and Claritin I have been able to get off of the monthly desensitizing injections that I had to do for 20 years.

A truer, but very difficult solution, is to find an entire new biosphere. If you move very far away from where you are now sneezling and wheezling, you will get better -- for a while. I moved from the eastern US to Hong Kong, and it was great! for about five years. Then my system found lots of southeast Asian pollens to become sensitized to, and I was in trouble again. I am certain that Africa or Australia would do me for another decade or so, but it is too laborious to move so far. Am instead considering the Pacific coast.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Netti pot. You put water/salts mix up one nostril and drip the snot and water out the other one, and then switch. It sounds gross and it is, but it is quite nice to drain sinuses.

What the hell are sinuses for anyway? except to bung up with snot and give headaches.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A truer, but very difficult solution, is to find an entire new biosphere.

I did that. I lived in the eastern U.S. and went through the tests and injections and pills (none of which did much good). Then I moved to the southwestern U.S. It meant that I had to go through all new tests and injections and pills (none of which are doing much good).

[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah! Now we make categorical TICTH threads. Very tidy.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
If sneezing troubles you, do not neglect the OTC nasal sprays. Flonase and Nasalcort are lifesavers. With it and Claritin I have been able to get off of the monthly desensitizing injections that I had to do for 20 years.

A truer, but very difficult solution, is to find an entire new biosphere. If you move very far away from where you are now sneezling and wheezling, you will get better -- for a while. I moved from the eastern US to Hong Kong, and it was great! for about five years. Then my system found lots of southeast Asian pollens to become sensitized to, and I was in trouble again. I am certain that Africa or Australia would do me for another decade or so, but it is too laborious to move so far. Am instead considering the Pacific coast.

I'm doing the shots too. Grrrrrr.

Yes, finding a new freaking biome will work for about 5 years. I moved from California (brush, dust0 to the Midwest and had 5 years of heaven. Now I'm allergic to mold, tree pollen, and basically everything LIVING THING this side of the Rockies.

For my next move, maybe the bottom of the sea.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
What the hell are sinuses for anyway? except to bung up with snot and give headaches.

They're to keep your head from being too heavy (solid bone) and falling off your neck and going plunk. Or crash. Or BOOOOOM (hollow sound).

Some days I think that'd be preferable.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pine pollen is the main one for me (and my house is unfortunately surrounded by pine trees!). My main issues are itchy/sticky eyes and sleepiness, some sinus pain. I take loratidine for this (cetirizine makes me drowsy) but is there anything better? I don't pay for prescriptions at the moment so anything prescription-based would be ideal.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Gotta ask your doctor. People are WAY too individual.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Gotta ask your doctor. People are WAY too individual.

I'm going to second that in an official capacity.

<Inserts standard Ship boilerplate regarding soliciting and obtaining medical advice from non-professionals on the internet.>

DT
HH

I have fortunately seem to have grown out of my allergies. [Razz]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never used to be affected by this, until we moved. No idea what I am allergic too - probably life. I get bunged up and sore-eyed and all the stuff from late January to early December, sometimes longer.

I just get permanently dosed up on something to allow me to sleep and get through the day. the biggest problem, when it is at its worst, is that I have to take my glasses off to see my computer screen.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a smoker I never suffered from Hayfever. Since I quit seven years ago, I now get it every bloody summer.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad used to smoke and suffered from hayfever. So it isn't a given.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do need a doctor to figure out what it is exactly that's kicking off your allergy. Sometimes this can be extraordinarily enlightening.

Then, once you know the enemy, you can fight. A pollen-allergy person knows the times of year those damned trees have sex. The trick about washing your pillowcase often (no need to do the entire sheets, but the pillowcase is what's rubbing against your face.) The trick about washing your hair daily, about never touching the pet without washing your hands after -- oh, there are a million dodges and tips. But only if you know the foe.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

The nasty thing is when you're allergic to every freaking variety of pollen that comes along (that'd be me, then). In which case you stay dosed up against them all freaking year. Except the dead of winter, when you get to switch to mold allergies, oh joy!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You have a doctor? You sound like a candidate for the shots. It's not worth while unless you're really bad.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

If your sinuses are too close to your dental nerves, you can get really bad toothache with every cold. [Help]
Several years ago, it actually drove me to a dentist who explained, after looking at my X-rays, that he could not do anything about the pain.

ETA: More relevantly, who needs anti-histamine when you have anti-depressants?

[ 03. June 2015, 00:26: Message edited by: JoannaP ]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
As a smoker I never suffered from Hayfever. Since I quit seven years ago, I now get it every bloody summer.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

(After this, therefore because of this. But it sounds cooler in Latin, just ask President Bartlett in the West Wing.)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neti pots don't work for everyone--depends on inner structure of particular nose. In some people, the wash and the gunk go down the throat instead of back out the nose.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

I'm wondering how long it will be before the Hellhosts develop an allergic reaction to people posting in Hell as though it was All Saints. That is a rather "brave" (by which I mean stupid) thing to do.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All in good time. But mainly after I've worked out a way to post cat hair over the internet.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
[QUOTE]

It works both ways. When a couple of wasps put me in the hospital with an anaphylactic reaction, a wise, gentle and compassionate old nurse told me, "Tough - you exceeded your credit limit!" Seems that for some allergies you grow into them, others you grow out, and you are stuck with it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The eczema I can cope with - just do all own laundry and remember to take all enveloping PJs, a pillocase and a huge flat sheet if spending the night away from home.

Hayfever I put up with, more-or-less.

The sensitivity to polymers I can avoid by not going near boatyards (or similar).

But the intolerance to onions and shallotts is a killer: on the rare occasions I go out to eat its either some sort of grilled meat and fries or fish. Cheaper restaurants with salad bars are a no-no because most of the salad is dressed and all seems to contain something from the alium family that stops me breathing. A pizza is a minefield, so are most pasta sauces.

The plus side (I think) is that my own culinary skills have, over the years, become pretty good, so I'm told - but I would like the choice of just nipping out for a meal once in a while.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Takes some doing to be allergic to the world's most widely-eaten vegetable. Chapeau, chapeau.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All these posts about having a runny nose and a few sneezes thanks to allergies. Bunch of fucking pussies.

If I trigger my main allergy, I fucking die*. So think yourselves lucky you don't have it that bad.

*= though I've often said it would be one of the tastiest suicide methods ever.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Friends used to smoke menthols during hayfever season. They are to be banned. I am okay with reduced smoking overall because anytime someone comes to the office and has smoked recently, my nose streams snot into my mouth, which I suck up like spaghetti of course.

I am likewise displeased with environmental approaches to blowing your nose on handkerchiefs. "Blow your nose and KEEP IT. Put it in your pocket, show it to your friends!"

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
All these posts about having a runny nose and a few sneezes thanks to allergies. Bunch of fucking pussies.

If I trigger my main allergy, I fucking die*. So think yourselves lucky you don't have it that bad.

*= though I've often said it would be one of the tastiest suicide methods ever.

Ya think we don't? [Razz]

My only truly dangerous allergy is cranberries--which means I have to listen to my family every Thanksgiving plotting humorous ways to kill me off round the dinner table. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Hell threads go this is pretty pathetic so I courteously invite the Hell Hosts to close it and then anyone so inclined can start an AS thread about allergies if and when they feel so moved - then I can be encumbered with the Hosting of it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You courteously invite us? Geez, have we taught you nothing?

People can go and start sharing over on All Saints any time they like, in the cuddly knowledge that they won't get told how pathetic they are for trying to make their distressed nasal passages sound as troublesome as the possibility of dying from breathing eau de peanut.

The masochists can stay here. Where we will toy with them until we're bored.

Or we might just go and close the thread. But not, I repeat not, because it was your idea okay?

[ 04. June 2015, 10:30: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
If I trigger my main allergy, I fucking die*.

Oh, quit bragging. Most people I know who can tell that story, including me, are a hell of a lot more careful than others when it comes to looking out their favourite allergens and live long, happy and productive lives making other people miserable. "I almost died" = "I'm not dead*." Close calls don't count.

*Yet.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

This article, as true as it is, seemed to be on topic for both allergies and hell.

Flamethrower Incinerates Whatever Causing Allergies

Available in fine pharmacies everywhere I'm sure. Probably useful for other maladies as well.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello eastern red cedars! Don't you go up like a fine and dandy candle! Poof, poof, poof!

...oh shit, all of Oklahoma's on fire, those particulates set off everyone's allergies, and now the pollen that wasn't incinerated is being carried into the upper atmosphere. It's like a cedar Chernobyl.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariston: Hello eastern red cedars! Don't you go up like a fine and dandy candle! Poof, poof, poof!

...oh shit, all of Oklahoma's on fire, those particulates set off everyone's allergies, and now the pollen that wasn't incinerated is being carried into the upper atmosphere. It's like a cedar Chernobyl.

You don't point the flamethrower at the cedars. You point it at whatever part of your body is allergic to them. The allergy will be gone.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And as it turns out, I am fuckin' allergic to San Francisco. No shit. i kept getting these horrible upper respiratory things, culminating last year in a chest infection that laid me out for two months last summer. i went to the doctor and growled about wanting to spend less time treating and more effort preventing. She asked me a bunch of questions about how the illness started, and eventuallly concluded that the evidence told her that something in the general smuttiness of the air in the Tenderloin ( where I was subbing) was triggering an allergy, which triggered my asthma, which rendered me a wheezing bag of muck.

Act as if you have an allergy, she said, once she'd stopped the muck from developing into pneumonia. She put me on a 24 hour pill, and a temporary dose of decongestants to get me over the big hump. Damned if it didn't work-- I haven't had a bad cold since.

What freaks me out is the idea that it wasn't one specific trigger, but this kind of miasma of gross that you can practically feel hit your face the second you step out of Union Square up onto Turk Street. Urine, rotten food, asphalt, smoke from a cornocopia of legal and illegal substances, guano, God knows what else.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Novel. Normally when people describe the Tenderloin as a health hazard, that isn't what they have in mind.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, move from SF to SA. Friend's daughter was dying from the pollution soup that was 1970s Poland, so he got a job in South Africa. Bingo.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Kelly, move from SF to SA. Friend's daughter was dying from the pollution soup that was 1970s Poland, so he got a job in South Africa. Bingo.

In this case, don't come to Jo'burg though. (I'm in Jo'burg right now.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by orfeo
quote:
Normally when people describe the Tenderloin as a health hazard, that isn't what they have in mind.
Sorry to be stupid, but in my book tenderloin is a cut of meat - so in what context are you describing it as a health hazard other than the blindingly obvious?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Sorry to be stupid, but in my book tenderloin is a cut of meat - so in what context are you describing it as a health hazard other than the blindingly obvious?

It is also blindingly obvious that she is talking about a locality - "The Tenderloin is a neighborhood in downtown San Francisco, California, in the flatlands on the southern slope of Nob Hill, situated between the Union Square shopping district to the northeast and the Civic Center office district to the southwest".
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
in my book tenderloin is a cut of meat

In which case I find it vastly amusing that it was my post that you queried, rather than being puzzled by Kelly referring to "the general smuttiness of the air in the Tenderloin".

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is some information about the Tenderloin.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
in my book tenderloin is a cut of meat

In which case I find it vastly amusing that it was my post that you queried, rather than being puzzled by Kelly referring to "the general smuttiness of the air in the Tenderloin".
No I was not referring to some steamy assignation with a co-teacher.

[ 06. June 2015, 02:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Here is some information about the Tenderloin.

Moo

The first sentence made me burst out laughing.

CONS: It's dangerous.

PROS: It's affordable!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Affordable |San Francisco Neighborhood.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016