homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bacon Butties? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bacon Butties?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Church has started giving bacon sandwiches before the service to encourage people in.

What do you think of this and other gimmicks to 'get people in'?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is unlikely to attract vegetarians, coeliacs, slimmers, Muslims or Jews ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Or people who wish to keep the eucharistic fast.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or student group have bacon butties before the service. Because free food is a reason to get up in the morning, and it builds community and relationship which is another reason to get up and go to church. It works. Not sure the rest of the church gas the same motivators though.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Won't people just sleep through sermon and all, tummy nicely filled with bacony goodies? I know I might be tempted! [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our church had bacon sandwiches after the service. But this was to encourage people to stay and chat.

It involves a lot more work than coffee, that's for sure.

I think it is more appealing to student/singles than to anyone who might have planned an actual dinner.

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On one level I think it's tawdry, tacky and smacks of desperation.

On another level, I wonder what I'm doing to 'get people in' (ie. nothing or next to ...) and what I'd suggest as an alternative that would be the antithesis of tawdriness and tack?

Our parish church has - quite successfully - been running a 'Big Breakfast' thing on a Monday morning, selling cheap bacon and egg breakfasts.

The person who started it up reckoned that they did so in response to a 'dream' they had one night - which they took to be some kind of divine guidance (too many bacon butties the night before?) ...

I confess to being completely cynical about the whole enterprise (what a surprise ...) but ... six months or so on I find that some of the people who have attended regularly (and most people who have are already on the 'periphery' of church or known to church people in some way) are now on Alpha courses or attending church for the first time ...

So, on a pragmatic level, it can and does 'work'.

The dilemma I then have is whether we should be principled or pragmatic ... surely another both/and thing ... [Biased]

The reality is that very few people are likely to darken the doors of our churches spontaneously or on a whim ... there has to be some kind of community element or contact that can be built on.

I have less of an issue with a Monday morning Big Breakfast 'do' than I have with serving bacon butties before Sunday morning services ... the latter smacks a bit too much of 'rice-Christianity' to me ... I mean, even the most hardened vegan will melt at the smell of bacon butties in the morning ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

There are veggie and gluten free options.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We occasionally do that before 'guest services' - it builds community and we get a good turn out.

It's also a good way of welcoming people who are apprehensive as they've never, ever been to a church service before.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't breakfast (and discussion) after the service part of the original Parish Communion movement?
But afterwards rather than before, yes, I think, if it's Communion. Or even if not: you need time to digest!

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've sometimes had bacon butties before a family service. We are fortunate to have a large church hall with a good sized kitchen, and also to have a church warden who loves cooking. He is already thinking about a community Christmas dinner for this year. He and our treasurer, who also loves cooking, are already planning the menu for our "Seder"on Maundy Thursday.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
We've sometimes had bacon butties before a family service. We are fortunate to have a large church hall with a good sized kitchen, and also to have a church warden who loves cooking. He is already thinking about a community Christmas dinner for this year. He and our treasurer, who also loves cooking, are already planning the menu for our "Seder"on Maundy Thursday.

Please don't have a Seder - here is why. Unless it is led by an actual rabbi it is deeply insensitive to actual Jewish people.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Am I the only one to wonder if he intends to serve bacon sandwiches at the "Seder?"

As far as the fast is concerned, I fear that any mention of it will only puzzle people-- I have been to a few TEC churches where buffet tables with danishes and bagels greet the worshipper as they enter. As well as the apparent ignorance of a few millennia of Xn practice, I always thought that it would be more practical to have people sharing food and talking after a service than before.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More on topic - bacon sandwiches alone probably aren't the best option because they exclude so many people (Christian Unions often use them and they're not exactly the most culturally sensitive group) but breakfast generally is a good thing to have after the service. Around Easter local churches around here often do hot toasted Hot Cross Buns after the service. Snacks for after an evening service as good too.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
quote:

Please don't have a Seder - here is why. Unless it is led by an actual rabbi it is deeply insensitive to actual Jewish people.
Bugger insensitivity to Jewish people -well, not really, but that's just the icing on the cake- it wouldn't matter if the Jews were indifferent to it or amused by it- a good enough reason not to is that it's a bit of silly sodding about ill-informed attempt to be , y'know, multicultural (and look, cool, I can be even more multicultural and wear my African stole and include some prayers which we are pretty sure are Native American or are they Maori, well, never mind...).
I mean, it's not as if we, as Christians, haven't got traditional ceremonies of our own for Maundy Thursday, is it?

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realise that bacon sandwiches were a thing in 'food evangelism'. Why bacon? As has already been said, for many people it would be stumbling block for health or religious reasons. Providing alternatives might not prevent some potential participants from feeling uneasy.

I suppose the organisers have a particular target group in mind here, broad but certainly limited. That's probably a good thing in a way, because no church or Christian group can appeal to everyone. Might as well make that clear early on.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Bacon butties a stumbling block for health reasons for some, possibly. For reasons of lifestyle choice for others. But for religious reasons? Unless you were making a point of wanting to try to attract Muslims and Jews to your Church, I'd have thought that would be pretty low down your list of worries.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help wondring whether cholesterol-lowering statins are suggested along with the butties!! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you live in an area where there are lots of Muslims then it's not irrelevant. I know of two local churches which see their ministry as involving Muslims. This makes a lot of sense in their environment. A CU at a uni with a growing international or multicultural British intake might also find such considerations relevant to their evangelistic strategy.

In another setting, though, the aim may be to focus on the 'typical' student, or the indigenous, ordinary local person who isn't too bothered about being healthy so long as they're fed.

I write as someone who enjoys bacon, but it's obviously not the most culturally versatile, user-friendly food....

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have we given up on talking about our own faith and religious beliefs these days? Have we abandoned the whole concept of inviting our friends and family along to our church services, having lunch with them, chatting through the experience and answering any questions they might have? Are we really so uncomfortable or perhaps disillusioned with our own faith that we have to resort to the tactics of the consumer marketing hook?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Food has long been part of Christian celebration ... think of the Moravian 'love-feasts' or go to any Orthodox Easter Vigil and see the goodies that await the faithful after the Lenten Fast ...

What bothers me about the way so much of this sort of thing is done these days is the sheer crassness of it.

An Anglo-Catholic priest of my acquaintance was mortified at a Deanery gathering a wee while back when all the delegates pigged out on lemon drizzle cake and copious amounts of tea and coffee before celebrating the Eucharist ...

It clearly hadn't occurred to them that someone of his background and persuasion was likely to be offended by that.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Have we given up on talking about our own faith and religious beliefs these days? Have we abandoned the whole concept of inviting our friends and family along to our church services, having lunch with them, chatting through the experience and answering any questions they might have? Are we really so uncomfortable or perhaps disillusioned with our own faith that we have to resort to the tactics of the consumer marketing hook?

I appreciate that the loaves and fishes miracle didn't involve bacon, but I like to believe that that is because Jesus didn't want to offend his good jewish mother.

[ 01. January 2016, 16:15: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A church near me is about to break out in a rash of activities, all organised by the HTB outfit which is planting itself there. I find myself wondering just how much difference there is between that kind of provision and bacon butties.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By all means do bacon butties and tea or coffee, but why on Sunday? Do it as a service for people on the way to work in the morning, or as part of a "drop-in" centre for those who aren't working.

If nothing else, it shows that church is there seven days a week.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
By all means do bacon butties and tea or coffee, but why on Sunday? Do it as a service for people on the way to work in the morning, or as part of a "drop-in" centre for those who aren't working.

It's also the best way I could think of, barring coming right out and saying it out loud, of saying, "church isn't for men." Just Hausfraus and the independently wealthy.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bannock and stew is common in the Canadian north ( subarctic). Bannock is fried bread, sort of like frying baking powder biscuits but containing more fat (butter, lard). The stew is usually something hunted like venison, caribou or moose. Most common would be eucharist first. But children, elders, the really hungry might eat before.

The point is to meet people where they versus fitting them to traditions.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

How about meeting people 'through' traditions?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brought back some happy memories. We used to have a croissants and toast prayer meeting on a Saturday morning - with bacon butties served if more than 25 turned up by the start time. One morning there were 22, and the organiser, (who was also the cook), clearly feeling hungry, added in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as three "persons" also present.

I like bacon butties a lot, but various health problems have put them on the regular "no-no" list. So if they went on the regular pre-service or post-service menu at my church, I'd claim discrimination and demand a muesli option.

But I always feel for the volunteers who get lumbered with these extra duties. Special times are different. We have bacon butties on Easter Sunday morning for those who get up for the outdoor dawn services. Now I reckon that's a good idea.

Last year, getting back to the church hall after the dawn service, and greeted by the delicious aroma coming from the church hall kitchen, I thought "blow the diet!"

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Wasn't breakfast (and discussion) after the service part of the original Parish Communion movement?
But afterwards rather than before, yes, I think, if it's Communion. Or even if not: you need time to digest!

For that matter, wasn't a bigass potluck a main feature of the original Eucharist?

Breaking bread with someone-- any kind of bread- sends a powerful message of welcome and acceptance, more than any amount of talk can.

[ 01. January 2016, 18:18: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
How about meeting people 'through' traditions?

Only if your traditions are intelligible. Wierd words and activities that no one does anywhere but church, when "I"ve never been to church and haven't a clue about church aren't likely to entice me in or speak to me.

Which is not to say do away with tradition, but to suggest having a clear idea as to who you want to meet and finding a way to meet them that they have the slightest clue about.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to take the other tack (or to play Devil's Advocate) take my own case:

As a college freshman, I (from a small southern Methodist congo) was dropped into a large, TEC ultra anglo-Cath parish. The service was (mostly) in English (Cranmerian) with lots of music, the likes of which I had never heard.

I didn't understand more than 20% of it, but I was intrigued by it. Enough so that I kept going back, and kept asking questions, LOTS of questions.

The clergy and people were friendly, the after mass coffee and snacks were abundant. There were other people my age. In short, I was hooked.

You don't have to understand it to like it, is what I'm trying to say.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

It's also the best way I could think of, barring coming right out and saying it out loud, of saying, "church isn't for men." Just Hausfraus and the independently wealthy.
Or the out-of-work.

A local ELCA church, situated next to a very blue collar, car-service oriented area, offers free lunch every Wednesday to the local mechanics and salesmen and car wash attendants, as well as anyone who wants to join them. The church is right on the border between a fairly cushy residential area and a hardscrabble lower income area-- so they also get the, um, "hausfraus" as well as the single moms on welfare. The church membership, as a result of this really brilliant cross-- class outreach endeavor, is about as eclectic as I have ever seen.

(They also are right across the street from the diviest dive bar in the county, and I suggested once it would be a great venue for a pub church. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who were short of food, the early Eucharistic Feasts must have had a similar appeal (no teeny wafer and sip of wine for them).

I must admit, when I spent several months in London, the midweek Eucharists - with coffee and chocolate bars afterwards - were rather appealing. Especially as I was, at the time, on a very tight budget...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Remember the chaplains rounding people up for breakfast after Sunday morning Communion in the college chapel in my undergraduate days- always boiled eggs (usually eaten using torn-out sections of the carton for an eggcup), tea/coffee, toast, Golden Shred marmalade.
We do now have one or two people who regularly come in just for the coffee (and perhaps a loaf if there's one going spare) after Communion at our place on Sunday mornings. One of them usually asks for a blessing too, although he rarely if ever attends the service. They're welcome and we expect to see them.

[ 01. January 2016, 20:05: Message edited by: Albertus ]

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the attraction of eating sandwiches filled with bacon? (I've never heard the term butties before). I can't imagine anything much worse than bacon before a sung eucharist. I'm afraid I can't understand how a bacon sandwich would bring people to church and find the whole idea quite bizarre.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
What's the attraction of eating sandwiches filled with bacon? (I've never heard the term butties before). I can't imagine anything much worse than bacon before a sung eucharist. I'm afraid I can't understand how a bacon sandwich would bring people to church and find the whole idea quite bizarre.

What? Are you being serious? Bacon sandwiches are proof of the existence of God!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Bacon butties are something of a British tradition, of course ... I don't know what the equivalent would be in Tasmania ...

In New York it'd be coffee and bagels, in Spain chocolate and churros, in France croissants perhaps ...

I can understand the community building aspect but that's what people might be drawn towards -- it won't be the bacon butties in and of themselves.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Doublethink:
quote:

I appreciate that the loaves and fishes miracle didn't involve bacon, but I like to believe that that is because Jesus didn't want to offend his good jewish mother.

Well, at least you brought a smile to my face.

It's not really the bacon butties, or the food before or after the Eucharist. I guess I've just developed a very low tolerance lately for gimmicks. I've had a glut of them here lately and every church on every corner seems to be doing more gimmicks, expressions and messiness than praying. While I appreciate that it is not the experience of everyone everywhere, I do feel that where I am it's all a bit much; to the extent that I'm wondering if we've completely lost the plot.
I'm sorry if my post seemed unduly cynical or tart.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
quote:

The Patheos post makes excellent points, but I should note that seders are typically family rather than congregational events, and there is no expectation that a rabbi will "officiate": the author's friend in this case just happens to be a rabbi, but a "lay" head of household would do likewise.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parish offers a full on breakfast at 9am between the two services. It is free (free will offering for those who can) and open to the public. Fully 50% or more of those attending on any given Sunday are from the local neighborhood. It is a service to the community, no one is pressured to attend the 1015am serivce or come early for the 8am. Just simple radical hospitality.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And I am sure that sort of hospitality will pay off in the long run. If (God forbid) a fire hits your parish, you can bet the people who came for breakfast will be lined up to help rebuild.

Down the highway there is a community church that offers a twice monthly pancake breakfast, and a large number of the people who attend do so after attending the Catholic church down the block. That is because, in addition to food events, the church actively sponsors a local service network for migrant workers and their families. The church opens their facilities for the network to use during the week.

The arrangement seems mutually supportive in many ways-- if the church needs help (say, for maintenace problems) the pancake eaters are right there to help, and the church is the goto place for local farm workers in need of housing, employment, and health assistance.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On this side of the pond we have bacon and egg sandwiches, or bacon, egg and cheese (Velveeta makes them especially tacky), but I had never heard the term "bacon buttie" before. Love it! I'll call them that from now on.

The nice thing about bacon and egg sandwiches is that they can be made with any kind of bread, or bagels, or rolls. It's always toasted though, of course. Personally, I prefer Swiss cheese but have made them with other kinds.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

As well as the apparent ignorance of a few millennia of Xn practice, I always thought that it would be more practical to have people sharing food and talking after a service than before.

Our shack does a communal breakfast thing once a month. It's after the earlier service, and before the later one, so it allows habitues of both services to mingle.

Most people wouldn't have much of an idea that fasting was a thing.

I'll note that our priest does not eat the breakfast, but couldn't tell you whether it was because of a desire to fast or to do with the more practical difficulties associated with shoveling down a plate of sausage right before presiding at the next service.

Oh, and bacon butties are wonderful. You wouldn't make them with toasted bread, though - then you wouldn't have anything to soak up the lovely bacon fat. It's probably worth reminding people at this point that "bacon" in the US is streaky, whereas UK bacon comes from the loin back.

[ 01. January 2016, 23:22: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh, so we're talking about something like this?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Knopwood:
Ahh, so we're talking about something like this?

Thanks for that link. I have a conference in Toronto later this year. Bookmarked that page!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By peameal bacon do you mean back bacon? What streaky bacon is, is just called bacon hereabouts. Extra verbage for no extra info. Reminds me of people calling ordinary beets 'beetroots'. As if there were other kinds.

Do you pronounce "butties" in the same way you say butt? Bacon butty sounds like something extra on the back end and would be probably heard as rather rude here. Doubtful for church lingo.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:

We had not heard the term beforehand, and fearing a bacon equivalent of the deep-fried mars bar, looked up Wiki. Not known here* and we've never heard of bacon sangers, which is Wiki gives as the name here. Not saying it's not used somewhere, just that we've never heard it. It does sort of have a Queensland or Territory sound to it - "Let's have a bacon sanger or 2 and then go and see how the crocs are going with that busload of American tourists that arrived yesterday"**.

* What is sold and seems popular at the takeaway food shops near the city railway stations is a bacon and egg roll, always sold under that name.

** How do you separate 2 crocs? Give them a yank.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Our Church has started giving bacon sandwiches before the service to encourage people in.

What do you think of this and other gimmicks to 'get people in'?

I would suggest that it's very sacramental - in the original sense of the word.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me somewhat of the parable where the poor are called to the banquet. Better make sure you're properly dressed for your bacon butty else it'll be outer darkness for thee.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forget haggis and whisky - Scotland runs on bacon butties.

Maybe it's a north thing, but that combination of salt, grease and stodge seems to be the necessary fuel to get through the day. Liturgically speaking, I would tend to place it after the early morning service, for, while it is breakfast, it is best as an earned breakfast.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016