homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keeping it short (Story compilations)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Keeping it short (Story compilations)
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ernest Hemingway, The snows of Kilimanjaro. Franz Kafka, Metamorphosis and other stories. Ian Fleming, Octopussy.

Yes I'm a sucker for a short story. With a holiday on the horizon I'd like some suggestions for something to read on the beach.

Or we could just chat about what makes a compilation good.

With Kafka it was not the famous title story that did it for me, but The Great Wall Of China, a very different style than the other stories. Something actually uplifting from the master of the disturbing. Hemingway is as diverse as you would expect and Fleming, some of the shorts would be better without Bond, who seems to get in the way of the flow.

Any other fans of the short and simple in their reading?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. My tastes are a little old fashioned. John Buchan's are very good. O Henry, of course. Kipling's are excellent- Plain Tales for the Hills is a particular favourite collection. MR James for ghost stories. Angus Wilson- rather sourly incisive portraits of a certain level of mid-C20 society. Graham Greene wrote some good short stories/ novellas. Pushkin (Queen of Spades and all that). Tolstoy (e.g. his army stories). Never really quite got into VS Pritchett, although he was supposed to be rather a master of the form. Evelyn Waugh's , on the whole, not as good as his novels, except the novella Work Suspended which was intended to be full length but was unfinished.

[ 19. July 2015, 12:02: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and of course, for fun, always Rumpole (John Mortimer) and the wonderful, funny and charming Para Handy tales (Neil Munro).
If your holiday is in France, Julian Barnes' Cross Channel might be one to take- a collection of stories which very wittily dissect some aspects of relationships between Britain and France, or British aand French people, over the years.

[ 19. July 2015, 15:35: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roald Dahl short stories are brilliant; Somerset Maugham, of course; Kipling has already been mentioned; Mark Twain wrote some very wry stuff as did Saki - for more modern ones try Annie Proulx.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can recommend without hesitation:

Drinking Coffee Elsewhere A compilation by ZZ Packer, one of the best in her field.

No One Belongs Here More Than You , by Miranda July, another compilation.

The Harlan Ellison Omnibus (bear in mind it weighs about 97 pounds. In paperback. But well worth the back strain.)

Honorable mention: Palo Alto by James Franco. Yes, that James Franco. He is actually a damn good writer.True story: I was at Copperfield's books in Petaluma, and had sat down to re-read a couple of stories from the Miranda July book, and while heading to a chair I spotted the Franco boo, and tucked it under my arm as well. After I had read the July story, I looked at a couple of Franco's stories. I sat there afterward with one book in either hand and realized, they were just about of equal excellence. Suffice it to say. I have so much respect and appreciation for July's work that this constituted a pretty hefty compliment for Mr. Franco, IMO

Warning: all of my recommendations have one or more stories that are very disturbing. Skimming for content recommended.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one has mentioned P.G. Wodehouse! The master!!

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget Saki.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How has the thread gotten this long without mention of Dorothy Parker?

Lots of variety in her stories -- two personal faves are 'Big Blonde' and 'A Week from the Diary of a New York Lady.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lady with a Lamp" -- yeah, get a good Dorthy Parker collection.

If we are gonna bring her up, though, we have to talk about James Thurber ( A Thurber Carnival) and E. B. White. (The Second Tree from the Corner.) The latter is one of the best books I have read, ever.

[ 20. July 2015, 15:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently finished Alice Munro's Dear Life which was good, though few of the stories were individually memorable. It was the impression that they left, as a collective, that was enjoyable.

For me, though, the best short stories are those done by Stephen King (much better than most of his novels), H.P. Lovecraft and Philip K Dick.

Of those, I love Dick's exploration of what it means to be human, written through the lens of McCarthyism. My favourite short story, though, which is a masterpiece of the form is Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I agree about liking King's short work more than his novels ( though I like his novels, too.) I was hesitating to recommend him, because his stuff can be flat out gory, but " Nightmares And Dreamscapes" is a good King sampler.

Another great horror writer put out a collection that puts anything King wrote in the dust, IMO, and I have a feeling King would agree with me-- look up " Houses Without Doors" by Peter Straub. And be prepared to spend a couple nights staring at the ceiling.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't tend to read short stories much, and I thought at first that I had nothing to contribute to this thread. But then I remembered some that had stuck somehow. More than stuck, in fact ... rather, wormed their way into my brain so that I look at the world just a little differently for having read them.

Firstly, I loved Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, and he has several other volumes as well. They all have a touch of magic of some sort - some funny, some terrifying. His recent 'long short story', The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains is brilliant and chilling - and I heard him read it live!

I also loved A River Runs Through It and Other Stories by Norman Maclean: for those who know the film first, the title story will not disappoint, and there are other gems therein as well.

Lastly - and I cannot recommend this one highly enough - try Island: Collected Stories by Alistair MacLeod. (And if you like these, his novel, No Great Mischief, is a work of beauty and brilliance.)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any collection by Ursula Le Guin, notably The wind's twelve quarters and The compass rose (I'm indebted to Huia for my copy of the latter!) [Yipee]

[ 20. July 2015, 18:47: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Farley Mowat. The Dog that Wouldn't Be, The Boat That Wouldn't Float, and Owls in the Family.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Le Guin looks good. But a little research shows that Changing Planes won awards, so that's one. Any ideas that are not SF?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All right, here's a blast from the past. Stephen St. Vincent Benet. A truly eclectic imagination, and if only he had been born a generation later he would be one of the great SF writers.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I agree about liking King's short work more than his novels

I think the same thing about Asimov.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Same here! I love Asimov's stories and essays, but have never been able to get into his longer works.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
The Le Guin looks good. But a little research shows that Changing Planes won awards, so that's one. Any ideas that are not SF?

Have you tried any of Asimov's non-scifi stuff? I thought his Tales of the Black Widowers was gorgeous kitsch entertainment.

I think the stories I keep coming back to are Saki's - beautiful vignettes mostly, with a wicked sense of humour. Whenever I get to the end of the collected short stories, I just start again at the beginning!

I find Somerset Maugham very easy to read, but I take him in small doses. His stories "taste" like a well chilled, dry-as-a-bone Fino sherry.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somerset Maugham's The Luncheon is one of my favourite short stories by any writer - a completely polished little gem!

[ 23. July 2015, 09:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and I've just had another thought - if you are interested in history try some Charles Allen stories taken from his radio series of long ago - fascinating stuff.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Asimov is also good for history and science fact bonbons. I think there is a compiled collection of his f&sf editorials out there somewhere.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you read Flannery O'Connor at all? Or F. Scott Fitzgerald? There are nice compilations of their stories. There's also an excellent complete works of Dorothy Parker, with both her short stories and her witty poems.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His novels got more attention, but in my opinion John Updike should be remembered as the last great master of the classical modern short story. I'm especially fond of his stories about the marriage of Richard and Joan Maple (and its disintegration), collected under the title Too Far to Go.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
All right, here's a blast from the past. Stephen St. Vincent Benet. A truly eclectic imagination, and if only he had been born a generation later he would be one of the great SF writers.

I think he was the author of a wonderful little story called something like 'Mr MacAfee's Revenge' or 'Mr MacAfee Returns' I must have read it in a magazine and can't find it anywhere by googling. Can anyone help?
Ray Bradbury wrote alternately sci-fi, fantasy and straight fiction.
The Murderer (in English on a Russian website) was written in the 50s and I love the way it has so accurately foreseen aspects of technology in contemporary life.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone mention Damon Runyon? I'm sure I have a photocopy of Butch Minds the Baby somewhere.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

So I am sitting here thinking that nobody is mentioning Damon Runyon, when along comes Galloping Granny... [Biased]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of non-science fictions ones.

Alistair Macleod "Island: Collected Stories" which is dark set in Nova Scotia stories.

and a classic

Primo Levi "The Periodic Table" which has a story for each element of the shorter periodic table. In the background is the story of Jewish chemist getting by in Italy during the second world war but I think each story stands alone as well and some are totally unconnected.

Jengie

[ 27. July 2015, 08:41: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
So I am sitting here thinking that nobody is mentioning Damon Runyon, when along comes Galloping Granny... [Biased]

For that matter, why have we not mentioned Salinger's Nine Stories?

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. And I want to put in a word for Graham Greene, especially May We Borrow Your Husband?. And anything by Anne Beattie.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

I think the stories I keep coming back to are Saki's - beautiful vignettes mostly, with a wicked sense of humour. Whenever I get to the end of the collected short stories, I just start again at the beginning!

Saki's Sredni Vastar is awesome.

Nobody's mentioned Maupassant. I read him recently and felt I was loosing something in translation.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam, if you have a penchant for the surreal, you cannot go wrong with Haruki Murakami. He has written novels as well as short stories. Some of them are pretty racy! His books have sold well and he has been put up for several international prizes including the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He also interviewed survivors of the Sarin gas attacks and has written another piece of non-fiction.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daphne du Maurier!
Don't Look Now and The Birds were both short stories of hers, despite the length of the films.
"The Apple Tree" is one of her best, I think. It might have been in the "Birds" collection, but I'm not at home so can't check easily.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016