homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pennine Shipmeet? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pennine Shipmeet?
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the suggestion of Boogie and the prodding of Lothlorien I wondered if there was any interest in a Yorkshire shipmeet?

I've never been to one, but I hear they tend to involve Food and Drink quite prominently. [Smile] Would Leeds or Huddersfield be most convenient for anyone coming from the West? I'd think Saturday would be the best day?

I couldn't make the first weekend in September, but am otherwise open to suggestions.

What does everyone think?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huddersfield and Saturday would be good for me and Twiglet [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was beginning to think it was time for a Yorkshire meet and that Huddersfield would be the place to have it. Also, Saturdays often work for me as well.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry guys, Huddersfield is one of those places I visit fairly regularly, these days.

I have been looking at travel up for the weekend of 22/23 August to go walking.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

I have been looking at travel up for the weekend of 22/23 August to go walking.

I'm free then [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I might be persuaded to go to Huddersfield. But unfortunately not on 22/23 August.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those wanting September, that's pretty much out for us. We are out of the country for the first three weekends.

The 22nd or 23rd sound good though. If anyone wants somewhere booking let me know.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want a food meet we have a Lebanese restaurant which is good.

http://www.med-one.co.uk/

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have booked my tickets to come up next Saturday, arriving mid afternoon and going back late Sunday. Plan is to walk on Sunday, and if this meet goes ahead, meet on Saturday.

The Curious Kitten would be interested too.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do next Saturday 22nd.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am all a dither, between a partly booked holiday (long story) and not knowing a friend's funeral arrangements I do not know what I will be doing that weekend.

I will come if I can but nothing is certain.

Jengie

[ 15. August 2015, 14:57: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do Saturday 22nd, and would also put my vote in for the Lebanese restaurant Balaam mentioned; I've wanted to eat there for a while.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

So there are 6 so far (Possibly 8}

LRP and I.
Arachnid in Elmet
Boogie
Curiosity Killed... (Is The Curious Kitted a definite?
Jack o' the Green

Possible
Jengie Jon?

Any more?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yep, she's a definite. We were reckoning she could eat there when we were chatting earlier.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
So there are 6 so far (Possibly 8}

LRP and I.
Arachnid in Elmet
Boogie
Curiosity Killed... (Is The Curious Kitted a definite?
Jack o' the Green

Possible
Jengie Jon?

Any more?

Don't forget Twiglet!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you want me, or someone, to amend the thread title?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pennine Twigletmeet? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Pennine Twigletmeet? [Big Grin]

I must ring the restaurant and check she's allowed, they are obliged to accept Guide Dogs but with pups it's up to them (99% do)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

No - I phoned and poor wee Twiglet is not allowed. I always ask in advance with restaurants, although we have never been refused before. By law they have to accept Guide Dogs but with pups it's done on goodwill.

Sorry, I won't be able to come as it would be too long to leave pupster and Mr Boogs isn't home.

Ho-hum, pig's bum [Frown]

eta - is anything else involved in the meet? Twiglet and I could just come to that bit if so [Smile]

[ 17. August 2015, 20:36: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Sorry to hear that Boogie.

For the rest, Med One requires tables of over six to pre-order their starter and main.

Let me know and I'll pass it on.

http://www.med-one.co.uk/category/menu/starters-cold-mezza/

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I haven't checked, but how about a walk along the canal - 8 miles to get to Stanedge tunnel and Marsden, but there are a couple of other stopping off points before you get all the way out there. Train back to or from Marsden.

I'll check starters and main courses

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be on a flight to Bulawayo on Saturday. Have fun!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

One vine leaves for starters, one Ajamee

One Bamya stew for main, one vegetarian goulash.

Apparently, the other alternative for things to do in Huddersfield is Castle Hill.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

I'm doing nothing else that day and, by the look of the weather today, will be in docs and jeans rather than flimsy sandals, so I'd be up for a walk if others were. It's a shame, Boogie, if you're not able to come since you're the one who made the suggestion.

If not a walk, there could always be a pre-food pub visit (or both). The pub by the rail station is supposed to be very good and favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
ArachnidinElmet: favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.
Are those mutually exclusive categories? [Smile]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
ArachnidinElmet: favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.
Are those mutually exclusive categories? [Smile]
I'll admit, there's a pretty big overlap. [Smile]

Hope your Bulawayo trip goes well, LeRoc. Think of us in sunny Huddersfield.

Balaam, could I put an order in for Manakeesh as a starter and Maqluba for main? Many thanks.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Decision time.

I have not heard about holiday but think that started Monday if it is on so I am coming. funeral is the Tuesday of the week afterwards.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Slightly slower now as I have pm menu choices to Balaam.

If a walk goes ahead that would be great by me. I can be there by early afternoon and, therefore, can easily be at the pub by the station for a pre-meal drinks.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Change of plan.

Med One is booked up.

I am looking for alternatives.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Still on a Mediterranean Theme, Marimonte accepts guide dogs in training. Table for 8 people booked for 7 pm.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

http://www.marimonte.co.uk/

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice one. [Smile]
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
http://www.marimonte.co.uk/

Looks pleasant.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It certainly does - now I'm really wishing I wasn't on the other side of the planet ...

Have a good one! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Looks good to me. Very snazzy.

I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
ArachnidinElmet: I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).
Don't ever go to Beirut (just to be sure).

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
ArachnidinElmet: I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).
Don't ever go to Beirut (just to be sure).
S'funny you should say that. My friend and I were only going to the restaurant as a consolation prize after our holiday in Morocco was cancelled due to a bombing. Honestly, I don't normally court that much bad luck...

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Brilliant - thanks balaam! Sorry I have been quiet, we've been in London for a few days.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

There is something going on in Huddersfield Town Centre this weekend which I have not heard about. There are putting up stalls in front of the station, one of which is marked as New Zealand wine.

That's all I know at the moment.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

More...

http://www.bigscreenweekends.co.uk/

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
balaam: There are putting up stalls in front of the station, one of which is marked as New Zealand wine.

That's all I know at the moment.

LOL, that alone would have been enough to convince me [Smile]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I am busy on the afternoon of the 22nd but will be there in the evening,

The Head of Steam is one of the pubs in the Station building, on the left facing the station. I suggest meeting up there in the early evening. It has real ale and cider, something that Mediterranean restaurants lack..

If anyone wants to walk with Ck... to Marsden in the afternoon, you'll have to arrange it with her, but I think it too far for an afternoon. Bus or train to Slaithwaite then walk to Marsden would be better, you wont have to force the pace. The first bit of canal out of Huddersfield is not as scenic as the last part anyway.

As for me, I'm hoping to get to the Head of Steam about 6.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, I was holding back slightly to see if offspring could eat at this restaurant. She's been to check and they are fine about dairy-free, gluten-free, shellfish-free, nut-free food.

I get in at 13:40, in theory, but from past experience of this route* I could be delayed.

My rough calculation was 8 miles at 2 miles per hour (reasonable to slow on a canal towpath, but depends on the size of the party) would take 4 hours. 2pm to 6pm looks possible, plus journey back. I know I'll want to walk after 3 hours on a bus and train.

Looking there is a bus every 10 minutes to Slaithwaite from Huddersfield and a half hourly train. Half hourly bus back from Marsden and half hourly train.

* Megabus Prime - train to East Midland Parkway, bus from there. I never book this journey early enough to get cheap train tickets, so usually end up on this route.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Twiglet can't have her paws on grass yet 'till after her next vaccination, so we'll be at the Head of Steam at 6pm.

Next time we'll do the walk too [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Right, a walk would be good from my perspective. There is a train that gets me in just before 1pm (yes I know Curiosity Killed said she arrived at 1:30 pm, but the Lincoln-> Huddersfield train line is notorious for delays). One slight snag, I have not been in Huddersfield for thirty years except to Mirfield.

So I need someone else to suggest a meeting place though I note there appears to be a Greggs and a Coffee Express at the bus station. Not for food just as a place to wait for the other people. I am open to other suggestions.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are seats outside the train station and the fountains are pretty.Although curiosity bus arrives in bus station and the stop is close to Greggs.
Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Jengie, weather and trains willing, I'm hoping to go on the walk too. Shall I meet you by the statue of Harold Wilson outside the rail station when your train comes in and we can walk up to the bus station to meet Curiosity Killed?

I'm not fully kitted up, walking wise, but IIRC Marsden towpath is not exactly Snowden. Hopefully, we won't be too muddy and horrible to meet the rest of you in The Head of Steam.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

That sounds good to me.

I am packing a change of clothing (I got well and truly muddied a couple of walks ago and ended up buying trousers and sandals to get home).

Jengie

[ 21. August 2015, 19:13: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Harold's statue may be obscured by the stalls in the square but it is directly in front the station. But he is by a Pimms stall

[ 21. August 2015, 21:03: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Oh well starting off in the right way!

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016