homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Liturgists

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Liturgists
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mystery Worshipper report for the Presbyterian Church in Eugene, Oregon tells us, "The Revd David Ukropina and the Revd Marta Ukropina, co-pastors, led the service, with the Revd David delivering the greeting and preaching, and the Revd Marta leading the prayers. The liturgist was Hazel Jones". I'm not clear what is meant here: I get the "greeting", the "preaching" and the "leading", both of the service and in prayers.

So what does the Liturgist do? It's certainly not a role I've come across in the Church of Scotland or the United Reformed Church. (And it sounds like a lot of people "up front" for a congregation of 90 people).

[ 26. October 2015, 14:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my understanding from higher church sources is that a liturgist is technically someone who writes/plans liturgy.

It is rarely used in URC as all worship leaders are expected to do it whether Ministers, Lay Preachers or part of the worship group.

In Anglican/ Roman Catholic church sources it is used for those who write the recognised liturgies. But might be used to those who take overall responsibility for a special service a bit like the director of worship liturgy rather than the writer.

I would expect in a Reformed setting a "liturgist" to act somewhere between a writer and director. That is they would shape the overall performance of worship, write any special prayers or other liturgical material required and maybe choreograph liturgical action.

This would be exceptional as the role is historically prescribed to the preacher but these seems to be a more collaborative approach to worship preparation than is usual.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Liturgists used to be people who studied liturgy (I'm thinking of the Alcuin Club, Dom Gregory Dix, and the like).

Nowadays, liturgists are people who pressure you to give up ancient practices (because we aren't living in 4th-century Greek fishing villages), and then pressure you to accept their new practices (because they're what the Early Church did).

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly the liturgist here isn't just someone who studies liturgy - which is what I tended to think they are.

Stepping back to Jengie's post, ISTM from reading the MW report that the Liturgist played an active part in the worship. So: what did she do? (Or had she written the liturgy being used that day?)

Perhaps we should ask the reviewer? I'll PM them.

[ 26. October 2015, 16:39: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I can't, the name isn't listed in the Directory ...
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've heard some American mainline Protestants (vague memory of who here) refer to a regular Sunday morning role of 'liturgist' that seemed to be reasonably close to what I'd call emcee.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Google finds me this from a Presbyterian source.

[ 26. October 2015, 17:43: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our PC(USA) shack, the liturgist reads parts of the service such as the (responsive) call to worship, the first scripture lesson, and the offertory prayer. We have a half-dozen people who rotate in this role. Some of them are keen on digging up prayers on their own from various sources, while others prefer to have the pastor tell them exactly what to say.

The point, I suppose, is to have the congregation represented in the leadership of the service, so that it isn't all done by the 'professionals'.

Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Mr. Google finds me this from a Presbyterian source.

If you are wearing a chasuble, select it and put it on, (from that document)
Words fail me: what WOULD John Knox say?

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
Liturgists used to be people who studied liturgy (I'm thinking of the Alcuin Club, Dom Gregory Dix, and the like).

Nowadays, liturgists are people who pressure you to give up ancient practices (because we aren't living in 4th-century Greek fishing villages), and then pressure you to accept their new practices (because they're what the Early Church did).

'Liturgists are like Billy Goats: they have their uses, but one really fertile one can service an entire county'. (Anon.) [Devil]
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Thank you, Salicional and LC.
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Offeiriad:

Words fail me: what WOULD John Knox say?

Something something Popery, something something reprobate, something something idolatry, damned eternally.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I don't know. When Cottontail showed us round the High Kirk a couple of years ago, she pointed out the stand of votive candles on the side of the nave, directly facing the rather dour statue of John Knox. One of us commented at the time that if they ever wanted to locate his grave in what is now a parking lot, they should just listen for the sound of jet-speed whirling.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen "liturgist" used to designate the person who says all the in-between bits of the service--the introit, the sursum corda, etc. etc. In my host church this is generally a seminary field worker getting experience before they trust him with a sermon. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

So the equivalent of our use of a 'Worship Leader' to plan and lead a 'Service of the Word' (with an authorised person preaching) in C of E usage?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right to make things clearer. Liturgist have to create liturgy, those who study it are liturgical scholars.

To put this into a Reformed context: John Hunter was a gifted liturgist, Horton Davies a gifted liturgical scholar.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

It would still be an unusual term in Britain, if it means a person who (devises and) leads part of a (Presbyterian) service, I reckon. That would usually be seen as the Minister's job, for the most part.
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst not dealing with the OP per se, as someone who is both a qualified liturgical scholar and a practicing liturgist in the Anglican tradition my role is designing liturgies Sunday by Sunday: choosing for all the services in all of the communities we have the music to be used (preludes, meditations, postludes, etc.), the hymns, selecting the readings of the day from the lectionary variables, writing the intercessions and where required perhaps special Thanksgivings, blessings, etc.

This is what I have been trained to do: the scholar and the practitioner are in my view two sides of the one coin. Having one without the other is doing one aspect of a role in a vacuum.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

EL - purely as matter of interest, what in your view makes one a 'qualified liturgical scholar'?

Of course I totally agree with what you say, that the most authentic liturgical scholarship belongs rooted in pastoral reality. I often think the same about 'qualified Biblical scholars' who need to be rooted in the life of the community that hopes to live by that Book.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes an unusual term in UK. We tend to use recognised roles e.g minister, lay preacher/reader, elder

Jengie

[ 27. October 2015, 11:45: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
In our PC(USA) shack, the liturgist reads parts of the service such as the (responsive) call to worship, the first scripture lesson, and the offertory prayer. We have a half-dozen people who rotate in this role. Some of them are keen on digging up prayers on their own from various sources, while others prefer to have the pastor tell them exactly what to say.

The point, I suppose, is to have the congregation represented in the leadership of the service, so that it isn't all done by the 'professionals'.

"Liturgist" is commonly used in Presbyteriana in this way, to mean someone other than the minister who leads certain parts of the liturgy. Some of us have about given up on trying to tell those in charge what "liturgist" actually means. A lost cause I fear—along with the proper use of "Reverend."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

As in "We're pleased to have a Reverend with us this morning" or "In his address, Reverend Smith said ..."? [Devil]
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:

'Liturgists are like Billy Goats: they have their uses, but one really fertile one can service an entire county'. (Anon.) [Devil]
And the inevitable 'The difference between a liturgist and a terrorist is that one can negotiate with a terrorist.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
As in "We're pleased to have a Reverend with us this morning" or "In his address, Reverend Smith said ..."? [Devil]

The former ("a Reverend") has still not taken hold, thankfully. Minister, or if one is feeling particularly polity wonkish "teaching elder," is the go-to term there.

But it is the norm to read (or hear) "Rev. Lee Smith" or "Rev. Smith" instead of "the Rev. Lee Smith" or "the Rev. Dr. Smith." {sigh}

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is supposed to be a respectable news site here referred yesterday to a rector as "the reverend at the church"!!!!!!

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've even seen the BBC do that!
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
EL - purely as matter of interest, what in your view makes one a 'qualified liturgical scholar'?

A professional qualification in Liturgy/ liturgics/liturgical theology, which in my case is a post-grad. degree following on from my formal theological qualification.

And yes, I agree totally - both roles need to be rooted in practical application and formation: the two parts of the whole!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the Liturgist ...

I note an online dictionary gived the definition
quote:

1.somebody who studies or compiles liturgies

2.somebody who performs the liturgy

3.somebody who favors using liturgies

My theological formation in OZ only ever acknowledged the form 1. However in NZ, which often follows ECUSA use 2 is frequent ... I've stamped it out in my parish by replacing it with "officiant" (in contradistinction to "presider"). Basically the old lay reader ... (who would incidentally over my dead body say/sing the Sursum Corda).

I've never seen the online dictionary's use 3.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS ... it may be borrowed from US Synagogue usage

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016