homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » RIP David Bowie

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: RIP David Bowie
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught this news.

I'm not a big Bowie fan, but I think he was a true artist, genuinely original, and setting rather than following trends.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The world’s coolest human being is no more [Waterworks]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you come across the band Of Montreal? The lead singer is very much inspired by Bowie. (They played a tiny venue locally here a couple of years ago, and I have had tinnitis off and on ever since my daughter dragged me along :/)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was genuinely shocked by this, I had no idea he was ill. RIP.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some strange reason, my memories of him include an oft played at the time music video of him playing "Lets Dance" which started with Connie Chung (then working for Entertainment Tonight) trying to ask him an inane question about his kid as he strode up to the stage.

Culture, eh.

Like many people, dipped into his stuff periodically but never immersed myself. Loved what I heard.

Stylish though.

Prayers for his family. By all accounts he was a good dad the last 20 years.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When D. and I were having lunch yesterday, Ashes to Ashes came on over the piped music, and we were joking about the British astronaut who went to the Space Station last month being called Major Tim.

RIP Mr. Bowie - there was no-one else quite like him.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW I wan't a huge Bowie fan. I'm not sure anyone was devoted to everything he did (remember Tin Machine??) but he was way more progressive and original than, Yes, ELP and King Crimson put together. Above all, whatever the band was called, it was Bowie.

RIP David Bowie.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also wouldn't necessarily say that I was/am a massive fan, but I did enjoy most of his material.

But I feel a real loss at his death. He was an original, who was prepared to be himself, and gave others the permission to be themselves. He explored music, performance, art and personality, and his influence on all areas cannot be underestimated.

His penultimate album was beautiful, mature and intense. I will hear some of his last one and see if he keeps that wistfulness. He has also been involved in production for all sorts of people, so his influence has been wider than just his own music.

We are losing some important musicians this winter. While they might not be everybody's taste, their influence has been very wide, very important.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mick Ronson, (1946 - 1993),
Trevor Bolder (1950 - 2013),
David Bowie (1947 -2016)

The Spiders are rocking heaven.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What can you sy about a true original artist.

Someone who mixed theatre and music, the cross dressing Hunky Dory period and the theatrical act that became popular by accident and propelled Bowie to superstardom - Ziggy Stardust.

Then there was the experimental music of the Lodger album and Tin Drum band. Always innovative, not always successful.

A sad goodbye to the Queen Bitch himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5P63qGTm_g

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Bowie.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP. [Tear]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a uni student and watching every cent, his was the only concert I shelled out for in four whole years. Could not have missed Bowie at Lang Park In Brisbane - I guess he was in Oz to make Let's Dance? He did a set as Ziggy, which brought the house down, even though he was finished with the character and emerging from the Glam Rock era into the next phase of his career.

Not a fantastic voice - but an unforgettable artist committed to exploring as he went. He will be remembered as a pop icon but was so much more than that. I recall being blown away by the character he played in The Man Who Fell to Earth, as I was expecting a less than convincing acting performance. For those of us who have always struggled feeling comfortable in our own skins, he was the perfect idol.
I hope he is now embracing all the possibilities of the next world and discovering that Lazarus is truly alive.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
R.I.P David Bowie [Votive]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ten minutes of interesting stuff from one of his neighbours. Had no idea he lived in Australia on and off for nearly a decade. But I suspect we will be discovering things about Bowie that we didn't know for a very long time to come. He will always be fascinating.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect I may have read/listened to rather too many of the tributes on Facebook last night before going to bed, as I had a very peculiar dream that involved some of his music and videos ... [Eek!]

One rather trivial thing I'd always wondered about, which was answered in his obituary in the Telegraph was why his eyes looked as though they were different colours. His left eye was apparently injured in a fight over a girl when he was young, and the pupil became permanently dilated, and was all the more obvious because his eyes were blue-green.

I was born with cataracts, and had to artificially dilate my pupils; after surgery on one eye I still had to dilate the other one until I had it operated on as well, but as my eyes are dark brown, I suppose it wasn't so noticeable.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Funny - I never thought that was strange at all - but then my eldest sister has one brown eye and one blue one. I had assumed it was genetic. Haven't seen an article yet addressing his final illness, or what kind of cancer he was battling. Have I just missed this, or is it being deliberately kept under wraps?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I saw a suggestion somewhere (can't remember where) that it was liver cancer, but you often hear of cancer starting in another part of the body and migrating to the liver, by which time it may be inoperable.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Lord Bowie.

He turned it down [Biased] The stars do look very different tonight. Such a shame.

Tubbs

[ 13. January 2016, 15:36: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While he was mainly tangential to my music taste (I bought Space Oddity, though, when it first came out), I never ceased to admire him ... may he rest in peace and rise in a glory that may surprise even him [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a really good tribute on one of our local radio stations today - the music, obviously, but also excerpts from interviews given over the years. Fascinating. A truly interesting and original man.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
HarryLime
Apprentice
# 18525

- Posted      Profile for HarryLime   Email HarryLime   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked Bowie without being a hardcore fan. The Blackstar album seems compelling and brilliant but bleak to me. It's so overwhelmingly, overpoweringly about death that it's extraordinary that people didn't spot this. But they didn't. I've gone back and read the reviews and critics and fans generally didn't pick up on it. I dare say I wouldn't have, either. I've only listened after the event.

There are all sorts of bizarre interpretations where Backstair is about Isis or some strange cult or whatever, but it seems reasonably clear that it's about mortality. Just goes to show how invisible death can be in the midst of life. A frail-looking pop star shoots a video on his deathbed for a song with lyrics about 'the day he died' and most people don't consider that he might be dying.

Posts: 18 | From: Bristol | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016