homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » It's nearly Christmas. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: It's nearly Christmas.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate Christmas.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merry Christmas, anyway...

Mwahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

[Snigger]

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do Christmas - as a Christian it's against my religion....
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do Christmas. As a Christian it's part of my religion.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do all the fuss and faff before the end of October. Presents bought and wrapped, cards written etc.

Not because I love Christmas, but because I want all the nonsense out of the way so that I don't have to go in any shops.

We are having a take-away curry on Christmas day and I love telling folk, many can't comprehend us [Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking about doing a nice round of shopping this Friday [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday is designated Buy Nothing Day.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Christmas. Celebrating the birth of Our Lord and Saviour by eating his flesh and drinking his blood, then spending the rest of the day with my family having fun, eating lots of food and drinking copious quantities of alcohol. What could be better?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bog off Christians! Give us back our decorated trees and our red-clad shamans and our midwinter feasting and revelry and drunkenness and -

Oh.

As you were.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm thinking about doing a nice round of shopping this Friday [Ultra confused]

Mad man.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I do Christmas. As a Christian it's part of my religion.

Seconded.

I love Christmas, it's great! I love the privilege I have, as a minister, of being able to proclaim to Christians and non-Christians this amazing truth of the Incarnation and all the wonder that means for the world.

But I can do without:

1) The soppy, sickly-sweet supermarket/department store Christmas adverts; the ones with a fey, wet blanket interpretation of a great pop song that's supposed to make us all feel lovely and "aaah". If you're going to emotionally manipulate me into buying stuff at your store, at least be upfront about it: tell me how great your stuff is and how cheap it is; don't try and be all touchy-feely and, in the process, ruin great pop songs.

2) The fact that some people at church took it upon themselves to put up all our Christmas banners (including our "Merry Christmas, Urmston" banner on the outside of our church) last Sunday. Couldn't we wait until December or, if not, at least until Advent Sunday?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
The fact that some people at church took it upon themselves to put up all our Christmas banners (including our "Merry Christmas, Urmston" banner on the outside of our church) last Sunday. Couldn't we wait until December or, if not, at least until Advent Sunday?

Is outrage! - Nonconformists not understanding the Church Year. More to the point, having banners up for too long diminishes their impact.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I despair at more than those who prematurely hail "It's Christmas" are those pernickety ninnies whose refrain is "No it's not it's Advent". [Two face] They're in the same class of people who write in to Points of View to complain that an announcer was talking over the music of the end credits of a programme.

What most upset me this weekend, though was that as I end a day of Christmas shopping (which, on the enjoyment scale, is on a par with going to the dentist or getting caught out in the rain without a coat) I treat myself to a book, only the Foyles at Westfield had been closed and replaced with yet another pointless clothes shop. [Mad]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:

How queer.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, if it's raining and you need a coat that clothing store wouldn't be so pointless.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
The only thing I despair at more than those who prematurely hail "It's Christmas" are those pernickety ninnies whose refrain is "No it's not it's Advent". [Two face] They're in the same class of people who write in to Points of View to complain that an announcer was talking over the music of the end credits of a programme.

That's me in a nutshell. And though I've never written to Points Of View, if I did, that would be exactly the thing I would write to them about.

Doesn't stop it being right, though: Advent =/= Christmas. [Razz]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That plus people who refer to Holy Saturday as 'Easter Saturday'. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I love Christmas. Celebrating the birth of Our Lord and Saviour by eating his flesh and drinking his blood, then spending the rest of the day with my family having fun, eating lots of food and drinking copious quantities of alcohol. What could be better?

Sounds like a man!

I have noticed in many households the extensive work of Christmas is done by women, the men just show up and enjoy a relaxed day sitting around enjoying family ad lots of food, and don't understand why the women are so tired from doing all their normal work plus the schoolkids under foot instead of in school plus the extra work of decorating indoors and out, baking special treats, shopping for gifts, wrapping, trimming the tree, writing addressing and sending cards, taking the kiddies to pageant rehearsals; planning and preparing a special meal and doing the meal cleanup while the men are so uninvolved in the work of Christmas they don't even know what gifts they "gave" to others.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not in the United States. It's the day after our Thanksgiving, and now known as "Black Friday" because it's supposedly the day that retail businesses are finally "in the black" for the first time all year. Several years ago major retailers started opening before dawn with super specials, which are only good for a few hours. People have gotten trampled by the crowds. Now those "door buster" sales often start Thanksgiving evening or afternoon. The poor schmucks who work retail have to leave their family Thanksgiving celebrations and trudge off to work for minimum wage.

I wouldn't be caught in that madness for anything, so for me it is "Buy Nothing Day."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I hate Christmas.

You have kids, don't you? I thought people with kids loved Christmas.

Christmasophobia should the preserve of weary folks like me who don't have excited little people at home to spoil....

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh please! We're getting perilously close to the Christmas is a time for the kiddies line here.

Whenever some numbskull trots out that line to me I tend to respond that certainly King Herod thought so as the slaughtered the innocents [Snigger]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Sounds like a man!

I have noticed in many households the extensive work of Christmas is done by women, the men just show up and enjoy a relaxed day sitting around enjoying family ad lots of food, and don't understand why the women are so tired from doing all their normal work plus the schoolkids under foot instead of in school plus the extra work of decorating indoors and out, baking special treats, shopping for gifts, wrapping, trimming the tree, writing addressing and sending cards, taking the kiddies to pageant rehearsals; planning and preparing a special meal and doing the meal cleanup while the men are so uninvolved in the work of Christmas they don't even know what gifts they "gave" to others.

Clearly I'll be enjoying a big glass of Shut The Fuck Up while I do all those things, because I'm a man.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist

Well, we could distinguish between Christmas the religious festival and Christmas the secular cultural phenomenon. The latter is particularly kiddy-focused. But churches lean in this direction as well, because they suppose that making a fuss of the kids is a way of appealing to the parents.

That being said, I've seen fewer children attending Christmas Day services in recent years, which is perhaps a sign that the stereotypical family context emphasised by a 'Christian Christmas' is becoming problematic. I don't know, but I do I feel that Christmas needs to be re-invented in some way for Christians who don't fit into that kind of context. The demographics are changing.

[ 24. November 2015, 15:42: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Christmas Day service is mostly for the elderly who don't like to go out at night. The young children come out in droves for our 6 p.m. Christmas Eve service, which includes the Church School's pageant, and older ones attend the almost-midnight Mass.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll confess right away - I love it, with the exception of the "Christmas" muzak that infests retail establishments on this side of the Pond. I worked in a ladies' clothes shop in the run-up to Christmas a few years ago, and if I never hear Bing Crosby* crooning Silent night again, it'll be too soon.

For the rest of it though - good food, good wine, good company and good music - bring it on!

Sorry about that. [Devil]

* or anyone else for that matter

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a man!

I tried offering to cook Christmas dinner one year. Mom was having none of it. She lives for that shit.

On a more serious note, fuck you for assuming you know how things work in my family. There isn't a single one of those tasks you've just mentioned that isn't shared by at least two different people - and usually more. And as for having the kids around rather than at school - given that both my parents are in their sixties and my brother and I are both in our thirties they're generally more than happy to have us there.

But I'm sure none of that matters to you. Just keep making your sexist assumptions about gender roles at Christmas.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I hate Christmas.

You have kids, don't you? I thought people with kids loved Christmas.

Christmasophobia should the preserve of weary folks like me who don't have excited little people at home to spoil....

21 and 23. Hardly little. And presents get expensive at that age.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Oh, they're grown-ups! I must've been thinking about something you said from ages ago. Time flies. But if and when you become a granddad Christmas might be fun again.

As a popular festival I do think there are times and phases in life when Christmas has to be less than fun. There's been a bereavement in my family, so my Christmas will be strange and solemn anyway this year. But I'll try to enjoy what I can, such as a nice CofE festival of nine lessons and carols somewhere.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
I have noticed in many households the extensive work of Christmas is done by women, the men just show up and enjoy a relaxed day sitting around enjoying family ad lots of food.

Not in our house!

Mr Boogs does everything - including all the extra sauces etc and three different home made stuffings. We are having the whole caboodle on the 28th as my sons are both working on the day.

He offered to do another for just the two of us on the day - but I persuaded him to get an Indian take-away.

Of my 5 good friends who are couples, four of the men are the main cooks. Very 'foodie' and very competitive, they like nothing better than to invite everyone for dinner parties. When Mr Boogs does one he spends two days pouring over recipe books (his meal has to be better than the last blokes [Roll Eyes] )

I'm a very poor audience for all his cooking adventures - I don't care what's in the sauce and certainly don't want to chat about it!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids always spoke longingly, of the glorious Xmas lights some houses in our area have. I always replied, "If you want it, you do it." And that was the end of it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer - permit me to echo the observations of Marvin and Boogie. You're sounding a tad harridan-ish.

I was visiting the aged father-in-law at his MHA care home last week, and they were getting out the decorations and constructing the crib. I helpfully explained that every time someone did this before December one of Santa's elves stabs a baby reindeer to death, and the carers have now taken to addressing me as the reindeer killer, to the bemusement of the elderly residents.

Way to not listen to what I actually said. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Christmas.

It's the month of November that's hellish for me. Four years ago my brother fell ill at the end of October and the whole of that November was a series of dashes through to visit him and his partner and my mum with daily phone calls to the hospital... he was better... he was worse.... he was stable... he was unstable... At the end of the month he died. [Waterworks]

The following year my mum died at the beginning of September. The following few weeks were a confusion of busyness, sorting, making arrangements, clearing the house, settling my other brother, her carer, into a new flat. By that November I was wrung out.

I get through Novembers by planning Christmas, thinking about Christmas, looking forward to Christmas. I hit 1 December with relief and celebration. November's over for another year.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a man!

I tried offering to cook Christmas dinner one year. Mom was having none of it. She lives for that shit.

On a more serious note, fuck you for assuming you know how things work in my family. There isn't a single one of those tasks you've just mentioned that isn't shared by at least two different people - and usually more. And as for having the kids around rather than at school - given that both my parents are in their sixties and my brother and I are both in our thirties they're generally more than happy to have us there.

But I'm sure none of that matters to you. Just keep making your sexist assumptions about gender roles at Christmas.

I can get why you're a bit sore here, 'cos ultimately it does read like Belle Ringer was having a dig at you personally, but notwithstanding the fact that your (and Boogie's) situation is evidently not as she described, I can tell you I, as a parent of the female persuasion, recognise a lot of truth in it. I don't particularly mind Christmas Day itself, apart from the fact that I get to eat slices of extremely frazzled turkey accompanied by the ever-present roast veg, which is NOT my idea of a celebratory meal, and that I DON'T get to drink any gin and tonic, which would be an excellent thing to have on a hot summer's day in a house which has had the oven roaring since about dawn.*

But never mind, this is the way things are done at my in-laws house, and I do enjoy the catching up with extended family. What I really hate is all the pre-Christmas shit - which by this point in life has come to include the buying of presents. Let me tell you, you really can have too much of a good thing when it comes to nieces and nephews, and of course they're all individuals, and none of them are really into the things my kids are into, so I can't use that as a guide. Nor are any of them old enough to want money instead (I will be so happy when that day arrives). Then, as Belle alluded to, school will have a Christmas fair, for which you have to bake, a Christmas concert, which you need to attend, and a carol-singing evening also**. The kindy will have a Christmas party, to which you are asked to bring a plate, and a present that 'Santa' can give to your child. Then any and all other activities they are involved in also all feel they need to mark Christmas in some way more elaborate than saying 'Merry Christmas, kids, have a lollipop' (which most kids would be happy with), so there's those things too. While you're trying to do actual Christmas related stuff like choosing/buying presents and making Christmas cake and so on. And I don't even work full-time! I don't know how the mothers who do work full-time manage at all. It reminds me a bit of something a friend at the same sort of life-stage as me said a couple of years ago, with a big sigh: "Agh, sex. Just another thing on the big, giant, list of things I have to get done".

*Remember everything is bass-ackward down here at the bottom of the world and Christmas is in some ways a sideshow, with summer being the main event. Making roast turkey even less appealing than it already is.

**Those kids you see on X factor or whatever, singing adorably sweetly and tunefully? Or playing a tiny violin in the most precious manner? They are very rare creatures. Most small children seem to be about as melodious as a flock of seagulls squabbling over the last fish head.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Not in the United States. It's the day after our Thanksgiving, and now known as "Black Friday"
Well, the date for "Buy Nothing Day" is deliberately chosen as the day after US Thanksgiving. It's a protest against rampant consumerism, also against the conditions many retail staff have to deal with. What better day to choose? The designation is international, even if it is inadequately recognised.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, if it's raining and you need a coat that clothing store wouldn't be so pointless.

Good luck on finding a raincoat that actually keeps you dry in any of the Westfield clothes stores (unless it's a sports clothing shop). Lots of fashionable clothes, not much practical or useful.

The only place I can find books in the local Westfield is WHSmiths.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fully support "Buy Nothing Day". My brother who lives in the US works for Walmart. So if you live near NY and shop that day please be careful.

My family was a bit like the one Belle Ringer described, but Dad got more involved as time went on, as did us kids. Now I don't do any food preparation on the day itself but go out to dinner with a friend who is also on his own.

I do bake cakes though, which I enjoy doing, probably 4 this year, and much smaller ones than I used to. I also make rum and raisin muffins to share at church.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Good luck on finding a raincoat that actually keeps you dry in any of the Westfield clothes stores (unless it's a sports clothing shop).

Why would I be getting wet in a Westfield clothes store? Is there a leaky roof?

I gather from your post that sports shops are in a better state of repair though.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Alan Cresswell
quote:
Raincoats come from Burberry: any others are, IME, useless.

Expensive? Yes from the point of initial outlay, but they last for a very long time: my raincoat may be over 30 years old but it is still waterproof and it has worked out at less than £9 per year.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bollocks. I bought Mrs Tor a drizabone. And she doesn't look like a chav in it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I can assure you I don't look like a chav in my classic trench.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t think I look a chav in my hiking jacket. OTOH, I don’t care that much even if I do. You can pour a glass of water over it and it runs straight off.

Back on topic: the person who asked if my Christmas tree is up yet gets a suitable amount of eye-rolling. No it isn’t, because plastic Christmas trees are an abomination and all the people said amen and if you buy a real one in November it will have exactly three needles left on the branches come Christmas.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in Keswick I bought a fell-climbing jacket in vivid neon yellow. It is utterly impenetrable to all wind and water; I could probably be comfortable on the surface of Mars with it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sounds like a man!

Dear me, I seem to have stumbled onto Belle Ringer's tumblr. Anyone know why it says "Ship of Fools" up at the top?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who spends most of the month of December frantically driving from church to church tuning organs, I absolutely detest Christmas. I have nine more tuning seasons before I retire; after that I expect I’ll have a better attitude.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Organ Builder: As someone who spends most of the month of December frantically driving from church to church tuning organs, I absolutely detest Christmas.
But doesn't Christmas mean that the tuning's done?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, once it arrives you are correct. On the other hand, I’m usually in a state of physical collapse by then and it’s not unusual to be nursing a cold that I’ve picked up from some organist or other.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes lots to do as always but slightly unreal as my dad died last week and there's still the funeral to come and stuff to sort out. Not sure how Christmas itself will pan out.

In this household Chriustmas is very much a pitching in of any and all hands that may be on deck. With Mrs M and all 3 Misses M working in the NHS and me having certain ministrial type duties, we tend to do parts of days not whole days. It's dependent on shifts, who might be around and what other stuff might be going on. I normally sort most things for Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve afternoon, have tea, a short nap then off to church to hand out hot soup and food until late night unplugged at 11.30 pm (my acoustic set for Christmas).

It's no different from my childhood: dad workd on a farm, the bloke who looked after the animals always went away for Christmas and Dad stepped in. On Christmas Day I saw dad 6-7 am, 10am to 2 pm, 4pm to 9 pm. We did things in sessions but again everyone pitched in.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Did you buy the hat and boots to go with it?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Did you buy the hat and boots to go with it?
Trying to persuade her into a hat is really hard work as she's convinced any hat makes her look stupid. This is a woman who sometimes wears a powdered wig to work ffs...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016