homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Holidays (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Holidays
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now received three cards wishing me Happy Holidays. It's Christmas. What's wrong with wishing people a happy Christmas? Why is that considered offensive?

Are we now supposed, in turn, to be equally offended by someone wishing us a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Diwali? And can we be legitimately offended by being wished a Happy Holiday?

At this time of year you can't go two yards without seeing tinsel or glitter or themed lights or sparkly hanging decorations. Nobody ever refers to them as anything but Christmas decorations. There's a sudden proliferation of Christmas trees in public spaces. Nobody ever refers to them as holiday trees.

Christmas is a festival open to anyone whether they believe in Jesus or not. It doesn't exclude anyone. Who are these people who get upset by being sent a card actually mentioning the C word and why should a simple expression of good wishes for the season be considered offensive anyway?

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems more an American thing, to incorporate all the different holidays that happen around the season. The non-Christmas-specific cards in the UK used to say 'Seasons Greetings'.

I don't see it as a big deal - gives people a choice as to what sorts of cards to send to the different people they may know and who may have differing feelings towards Christmas.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

At this time of year you can't go two yards without seeing tinsel or glitter or themed lights or sparkly hanging decorations. Nobody ever refers to them as anything but Christmas decorations.

Around here they're usually called Holiday Lights.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When someone has wished me "Happy Holidays," I have usually assumed that they are wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's Day. I realize, though, that some use the expression of good will out of caution, not knowing which winter holiday a particular person might observe.

And I say "thank you." Far from being offended, I am appreciative when someone offers me sincere good wishes.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if anyone wished me 'Happy Holidays' I'd find myself saying 'But I'm retired. My whole life is a holiday.'

I think l'll go with 'Good Yule' - but in Norwegian 'God Jul!' because it sounds better, particularly if you can synchronise it with banging some alcohol-filled reseptacle on the table.

Otherwise, it's back to 'May the midwinter festivity of your choice be a gratifying occasion'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: I've now received three cards wishing me Happy Holidays. It's Christmas. What's wrong with wishing people a happy Christmas? Why is that considered offensive?
Who says they consider it offensive?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They wish me whatever; I say thank you. What the big fucking deal? Get your panties untwisted and go do something useful: Like, I dunno, Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick, comfort the dying...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand why you consider "happy holidays" offensive. There are a number of holidays at this time of year, especially in the U.S., and I hope people enjoy as many as possible.

It reminds me of American GLEs who get all fussy about store clerks who tell people "Happy holidays", instead of "Merry Christmas" or get fussy about people who use the term Xmas ("Keep Christ in Christmas!") when X is the Greek letter for Christ in the beloved fish symbol. Should I fuss at people for telling me "Merry Christmas" before Dec. 25 instead of "Happy Advent"? Pleeez! Life's too short.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only people in the US who are offended are those who are vigorously seeking out reasons for offense. The War against Christmas people, mainly. They're the ones who complain about red coffee cups.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel,

I wish you Happy Holidays.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not remotely offended by it. It's the good wishes that count. It seems to me that there are many more important things about which to get worked up.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I think if anyone wished me 'Happy Holidays' I'd find myself saying 'But I'm retired. My whole life is a holiday.'

That is why it's odd for the expression to come to the UK (though I hadn't noticed that it had, but then I don't pay much attention to Christmas stuff - but there are still 'Seasons Greetings' cards, I believe, for those who want a more general greeting). Holiday in the US refers to specific celebratory days, like Thanksgiving, or Christmas or Hanukkah. But in the UK, it just means time off work/school - vacation. (I'm assuming you're in the UK, Ariel, or at least not in America, because from what I observe online, Americans do talk about holiday trees).

It's always been the norm here in the UK, from what I've observed, that if you work/study in a school or a college, where you have a couple of weeks off for the Christmas holidays (in the UK meaning of the word hoilday) you might say to your colleagues/fellow students both 'Enjoy the holidays' to mean the time off, and 'Merry Christmas' to mean specifically Christmas part of it. They are not mutually exclusive.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first spotted it here in the UK in the cinema, probably along with the jolly Coke train of lorries in the advertisements. It was grating, because - puts on "Brief Encounter" voice - it has not been a British way of speaking.

But not so grating as all the shops labelling shelves of the sort of thing you get for people you have to give something to and have run out of ideas for as "Gifting". And the radio. Everybody is at it. Who started it, and why does everyone go along with it? What's wrong with "giving"? Or "gifts"?

Grump, grump, grouch, bah humbug.

[ 10. December 2015, 21:20: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We need a Get Off My Lawn! board, it would seem.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Christmas is a festival open to anyone whether they believe in Jesus or not. It doesn't exclude anyone. Who are these people who get upset by being sent a card actually mentioning the C word and why should a simple expression of good wishes for the season be considered offensive anyway?

Why indeed. But if you want to be offended, don't let me stop you. To quote Mrs Mopp of the wartime show ITMA "It's only being cheerful as keeps me going".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The only people in the US who are offended are those who are vigorously seeking out reasons for offense.

And retail workers who aren't so much offended as annoyed by the fact they're being given a script that requires them to say Happy Holidays even as they bag your last minute gifts on Christmas Eve.

And other people who aren't so much offended as annoyed by syncreticism and don't understand why everyone can't go around wishing everyone a Positive Holy Day and everyone who doesn't celebrate that particular Holy Day can't interpret that to mean "I wish you well."

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The only people in the US who are offended are those who are vigorously seeking out reasons for offense.

That really narrows it down...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya' know wikipedia says the term "happy holidays" has been in use for the Christmas season since at least the 1890s, though it may have picked up steam in 1942 with the Irving Berlin song Happy Holiday. It certainly isn't anything new in any case, and I'm at a loss why there's been, in recent years, so much controversy about it.

[ 11. December 2015, 01:39: Message edited by: Nicolemr ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a gang of morons here in the US who are determined to prove that Christianity is under attack. It is tough, since churches get tax breaks and a vast majority of the populace claims to be Christian. Neverthless, they constantly seek for cause. And they've announced that using 'Happy Holidays' is a move (by mysterious conspirators) to destroy Christmas. Which you could not do with nuclear warheads, really. But these people are not members of the reality-based community.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
(I'm assuming you're in the UK, Ariel, or at least not in America, because from what I observe online, Americans do talk about holiday trees).

Perhaps Americans do somewhere, but I've never heard anyone talk about holiday trees.

But I do see your point on the difference in the British use of "holiday."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
It certainly isn't anything new in any case, and I'm at a loss why there's been, in recent years, so much controversy about it.

'cause there is an attack on Christmas! Christians shall soon be rounded up and put into camps. And don't get me started on the Americanisation of Britain... [Disappointed]
We shall soon all be Godless American Communist Muslim immigrants living on the dole and it will be the fault of those like you who fail in their vigilance.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

I thought this *was* the Get Off My Lawn! board.

We all certainly need to get off the thread, because Alan won it several posts back.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you look at a display of 19th century Xmas cards you will note that even the dear Queen used cards saying Seasons greetings.

Meilleurs voeux is still common in French Canada and has been for longer than I have been alive.

That's Season's greeting for the language challenged.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Otherwise, it's back to 'May the midwinter festivity of your choice be a gratifying occasion'.

I tend to use my own version of that, unless I have a pretty good idea that the person is ok with *some* sort of Christmas.

More or less the same with cards. I tend to go with cards that are quietly spiritual, but don't necessarily hit you over the head with the manger. Works well, and I don't have to buy so many different kinds of card. I may get something special for a Pagan friend, which is both fine and fun. And I've had to deal with people who would be mortally offended if they didn't get a Properly Christian Christmas Card (tm). It was a lot easier to just get them one.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't celebrate Christmas. If wished a Merry Christmas I usually thank the person or say Happy Holidays. While it be inclusive in some quarters, I don't like the people who think it should be mandatory. People like you who demand that everyone say "Merry Christmas" instead of a phrase of good will that is compatible with their own religious practice or lack of it.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate all these newfangled things usurping perfectly good old ones. Keep your stinking paws off of my Winter Solstice Saturnalia, you damn dirty Christians.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

I thought this *was* the Get Off My Lawn! board.
Hmmmph. Please use the pavements.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

We all certainly need to get off the thread, because Alan won it several posts back.

As if that ever ended a thread. It would have been a nice, neat and complete, yes, but not likely.

[ 11. December 2015, 07:02: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I don't celebrate Christmas. If wished a Merry Christmas I usually thank the person or say Happy Holidays. While it be inclusive in some quarters, I don't like the people who think it should be mandatory. People like you who demand that everyone say "Merry Christmas" instead of a phrase of good will that is compatible with their own religious practice or lack of it.

December 25th is widely understood to be Christmas, whether you like it or not. If you choose to disregard that, that's your decision. I don't have a lot of time for people who think that referring to a specific festival by its actual name is wrong and offensive. What I am asking is, who actually finds it offensive to hear it called Christmas? Because there is an accepted impression that it will upset some elements of the population who aren't Christian, but I have yet to meet anyone who actually feels that way. I don't currently have any religious faith myself but the season is what it is.

It's also inconsistent because nobody seems to do this for other festivals like Easter or Bank Holidays or Diwali.

Anyway, Happy Holidays is a nice bland all-purpose generic greeting that has no overtones of anything at all. Having been wished it a few times so far, I can keep it to apply equally to the New Year, Easter, Halloween, Diwali, the end of Ramadan, my birthday, and any day off I might have throughout the year.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: I don't have a lot of time for people who think that referring to a specific festival by its actual name is wrong and offensive.
Someone who wishes you 'Happy Holidays' doesn't always do that because (s)he finds referring to Christmas offensive, you stupid cunt.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook--

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I hate all these newfangled things usurping perfectly good old ones. Keep your stinking paws off of my Winter Solstice Saturnalia, you damn dirty Christians.

Iō Sāturnālia Turris et Corve!

("Joyous Saturnalia (to) Rook (chess piece) and Rook (bird)." Not sure which derivation is appropriate.)

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

(To LeRoc:) Yes, I know that, but, for the hard of understanding, which you appear to be, I will repeat it again: there are apparently some people who do. That is what I am complaining about. Is that clear enough for you?

[ 11. December 2015, 08:02: Message edited by: Ariel ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: (To LeRoc:) Yes, I know that, but, for the hard of understanding, which you appear to be, I will repeat it again: there are apparently some people who do. That is what I am complaining about. Is that clear enough for you?
You're apparently unable to formulate well what you're complaining about.

In your OP you complained about people sending you cards with 'Happy Holidays' on it. Then you concluded that they were offended by Christmas. That's the first paragraph of your OP.

This is mindboggingly stupid. This is someone who doesn't know which end of a cow the shit comes out stupid. When people send a card with 'Happy Holidays' on it, it doesn't mean that they're offended by Christmas.

You haven't given us examples yet of people who are actually offended by Christmas. So this whole thread is, just like a lot of what you post on the Ship, a load of crap.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Why indeed. But if you want to be offended, don't let me stop you. To quote Mrs Mopp of the wartime show ITMA "It's only being cheerful as keeps me going".
My mistake. It wasn't Mrs Mopp but the even more appositely named Mona Lott.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Dunno about elsewhere. But American "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays!" cards are handy in two ways: you don't have to know the beliefs/celebrations of the recipients; and it's not a major disaster if you don't get them in the mail on time, because they're good for New Year's, too.

Businesses often send these more generic/inclusive greetings.

Ariel, I know that this is Hell, but I don't think I've ever seen you this angry in all my time on the Ship.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

My mistake. It wasn't Mrs Mopp but the even more appositely named Mona Lott.
And she, consciously or otherwise, was quoting Bairnsfather's Ole Bill, and before that a Punch cartoon of 1916 called "The Pes-Optimists" - I used to have it on my cabin wall at sea.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
You haven't given us examples yet of people who are actually offended by Christmas.

[brick wall] That's what I'm asking for. I wonder whether these people really exist, or whether this is just one of those urban myths, like various health and safety rules that stop people doing reasonable things that they've always done, Just In Case. I suspect the latter, as nobody so far has managed to find any examples.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: [brick wall] That's what I'm asking for.
No, that's not what you've been asking for. When you ask "What's wrong with wishing people a happy Christmas? Why is that considered offensive?" in the first paragraph of your OP, you've already asserted that there are people who find Christmas offensive.

Are you going to formulate a coherent post of what the fuck it is you're on about, or is that beyond you?

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

I just bought some Christmas cards today - didn't see any 'Happy Holidays', but quite a few say 'Winter Wishes'. But then they also say 'Happy Christmas' inside, so they're not mutually exclusive. I quite like 'winter wishes'. It alliterates well, and is broad enough to cover everyone, really (well, except friends in Australia and New Zealand!).

I actually have quite a few American friends who prefer 'Happy Holidays' to 'Merry Christmas'. It's not a question of taking great offence at 'Merry Christmas', but more that they know people from a variety of backgrounds and not everyone celebrates Christmas, and they prefer to have a non-Christmas-specific greeting. A few of them are Jewish. They are not angry at being wished a Merry Christmas, but they would like to get away from Christmas being seen as the default, and for people to acknowledge the variety of other holidays celebrated. That makes sense to me.

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
(To LeRoc:) Yes, I know that, but, for the hard of understanding, which you appear to be, I will repeat it again: there are apparently some people who do. That is what I am complaining about. Is that clear enough for you?

If you don't even know any people who are offended by being wished a Merry Christmas, why does it bother you that apparently such people exist? There are always people who take offence at all kinds of little things - they will always exist. If you don't know them, that's a blessing, surely!
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

As examples are wanted, I knew one American woman online once who took great offence at Christmas, and all sorts of other things. It was on an online community, and there was a Christmas tree competition, and she made a big deal about how this excluded non-Christians, and was offensive to her as she was from a Jewish background. No one else was offended, despite the fact that there were plenty of non-Christians on the site. She insisted that non-Christians should be offended, and she was actually offended that they weren't. She was insistent that only Christians celebrate Christmas and have Christmas trees, and didn't believe me when I told her that I have Muslim friends who love celebrating Christmas, because, as they say, 'Any excuse for a party!'

But this was a woman who was offended at all sorts of things. She didn't have many friends because everyone offended her. She was friends with me briefly and I got fed up of her taking offence at everything, so I didn't stay friends with her. She is the only person I know of who is actively offended by Christmas.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel-
Your OP is nothing like what you now say you want, hence the confusion. Have a nice hot toddy, curl up with some Christmas Carols and relax.

PS - Happy Holidays! [Devil]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They may have just bought the ones with the nice picture on the front and forgot to check what the message inside was. And then, having discovered it didn't say what they expected, weren't wasting the cards.

It's what I'd do. It wouldn't occur to me that people would be offended / angry about the message inside the card. Isn't the fact I'd been bothered to write one enough?! Writing cards takes ages. The struggle is real and all that.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
They may have just bought the ones with the nice picture on the front and forgot to check what the message inside was. And then, having discovered it didn't say what they expected, weren't wasting the cards.

I've had this problem before. I made sure to write 'Merry Christmas' inside.

I was wished Merry Christmas by an automated checkout today. I didn't reply.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

I've had this problem before. I made sure to write 'Merry Christmas' inside.

I was wished Merry Christmas by an automated checkout today. I didn't reply.

I may have worked out who on my list was least / most likely to mind and sent accordingly. [Two face]

I prefered "Thank you for shopping at Tesco".

Tubbs

[ 11. December 2015, 14:28: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Tubbs

To be fair, anything is better than 'unexpected item in the baggage area'.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

Tubbs

To be fair, anything is better than 'unexpected item in the baggage area'.
Have you scanned your ... card? [brick wall]

Tubbs

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Ariel has a point - there seems to be a reluctance, possibly especially in the media and public bodies, to wish people "merry Christmas" because of a perceived possibility of offending the sensibilities of those who don't celebrate it. Some of the TV chefs here, for instance, will talk about a recipe being great "around the holidays", which does rankle a bit as it tends to sound contrived, and it's patently obvious that they mean "Christmas".

Many of my colleagues don't celebrate Christmas in the same sense that I do (some because they're of other faiths, some because they're of none). They all join in enthusiastically with the celebrations and parties, and when a toast is proposed, I'm happy to say "Merry Christmas or whatever you're celebrating". I've never seen any of them look even remotely offended.

[ 11. December 2015, 15:00: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
you scanned your ... card? [brick wall]

With that ever-so-slight overtone of reproach. Though you could try screaming back 'No I didn't! Because it said Happy Holidays! If I was on holiday I wouldn't be standing here with flaming carrier bags full of tinselled crap and a fucking frozen turkey bloody ton of sprouts and parsnips and spuds all waiting for me to magic up in the kitchen like I'm bloody Nigella Oliver I would be on a beach somewhere now read the barcode on the sodding brandy willya and let me out of here!'

It could gather quite a crowd.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze [Overused]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Are you going to formulate a coherent post of what the fuck it is you're on about

... No. It's far more fun watching you get entangled in it. [Big Grin] Thank you for the entertainment.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016