homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Schooling for Permanent Deacons

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Schooling for Permanent Deacons
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My old diocese is looking for new ways to train people to be ordained as permanent deacons. I was wondering what schooling is required for deacons in other shipmate's neck of the woods? What works and what does not in your experience?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Catholic) Archdiocese of Baltimore: one year of discernment with monthly group meetings and then three years of formation. The latter includes
  • weekly six-hour gatherings on Saturdays for common prayer, academic formation, and pastoral formation
  • a nine-month long parish internship (approx. 10 hours per week) in the second year of formation
  • a nine-month long internship (approx. 10 hours per week) in an "institutional" setting, such as a hospital, prison, social service institution, etc.
  • a yearly retreat
Wives are welcome but not required to participate in most aspects of the weekly meetings.

[ 09. January 2016, 17:47: Message edited by: FCB ]

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Association of Anglican Deacons in Canada has published a draft paper on competencies for ordination (pdf). In the dioceses I'm familiar with, the academic requirements are something like 5 full credits (a year's FTE equivalent) theological study plus clinical pastoral education. Many deacons do complete an MTS or MDiv though.

The major seminary of the RC archdiocese I grew up in has a five-year part-time programme for ordinands preparing for the permanent diaconate.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do permanent deacons do in other countries and communions? From conversation with a work colleague some years ago who was a Catholic one, his role sounded a bit like that of a Reader or Licensed Lay Minister here (same thing, same scarf, but they are called different things in different diocese).

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The basic things a typical RC deacon does:
  • Assisting liturgically at Mass, reading the Gospel, etc.
  • Baptisms of infants
  • Officiating at weddings
  • Preaching at Mass and other liturgies
  • Often involved in adult education, particularly the catechumenate
  • Often has some "ministry of charity" with the poor, the imprisoned, refugees, etc.

In principle, there is nothing a deacon can do that a lay person cannot do, though some of them, such as baptizing outside fo an emergency situation or officiating at wedding, would require a special dispensation for a lay person to do them and others, like preaching at Mass, are forbidden to lay people under current Church law.

But the main thing is that deacons have entered into the clerical state and have received the sacrament of Holy Orders (which are two distinct things). This, of course, is more a matter of being than doing and perhaps ordination to the diaconate makes no sense in traditions that have a purely functional understanding of ordination.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you FCB. Are Catholic permanent deacons in the US stipendiary or non-stipendiary?

Of your list, Readers/Licensed Lay Ministers in the CofE do the following,

- Assisting liturgically at Mass, reading the Gospel, etc. [it's possible some high church clergy may not allow this, but it's widespread and as far as England is concerned is OK. I've commented on other occasions on the ship that it's possible it might not be in Wales].
- Preaching at Mass and other liturgies [a major part of their role]
- Often involved in adult education, particularly the catechumenate [this is not restricted to clergy and readers]
- Often has some "ministry of charity" with the poor, the imprisoned, refugees, etc. [again, this is not restricted to clergy and readers, everybody is encouraged to do this]

They don't baptise or marry people. A wedding solemnised by a Reader would be legally void. Clergy in their Deacon's year can do both of those. However, although the wedding would be legally binding, they can't pronounce the blessing. So their marrying people is discouraged.

An important part of what they do which is not in your list is that as well as preaching, they can and do lead non-sacramental services, Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer etc.

They can also be authorised to take funerals which aren't usually requiems in the CofE.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch asks:
quote:
Are Catholic permanent deacons in the US stipendiary or non-stipendiary?
As in Canada, both. Many chanceries have deacon staff, some of whom are canon lawyers. I know of a few parishes in Ottawa which have deacons on the payroll, one exclusively for marriage preparation. I gather that the majority of deacons are non-stipiendiary, and a number are pensioners. I have been to several RC weddings and one baptism where the minister was a deacon. RC Ottawa has 86 deacons over 114 diocesan clergy. Two smaller local dioceses have 9 to 38 (Pembroke) and Alexandria-Cornwall 9-32. I gather that, with a rapidly aging priestly cohort, the permanent deacons are picking up the slack.

If my memory serves me well, they go through a 4-year course, focussing on liturgical pastoral theology and homilectics, and lighter on dogmatic, and I don't think it includes Greek or Hebrew.

[ 10. January 2016, 16:03: Message edited by: Augustine the Aleut ]

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

They don't baptise or marry people. A wedding solemnised by a Reader would be legally void. Clergy in their Deacon's year can do both of those. However, although the wedding would be legally binding, they can't pronounce the blessing. So their marrying people is discouraged.

An important part of what they do which is not in your list is that as well as preaching, they can and do lead non-sacramental services, Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer etc.

They can also be authorised to take funerals which aren't usually requiems in the CofE.

Yes, as has been noted in previous discussions of the subject here, Reader ministry is primarily a teaching office, while deacons are ordained to the ministry of word and service.

What you say about deacons and weddings holds in the Anglican Church of Canada as well, although I know of at least one diocese thereof where transitional deacons are routinely given licenses to marry but vocational/permanent deacons are not, which makes little sense to me.

Because of the lateness of the revival of the permanent diaconate in the West, there is something of patchwork of protocols and expectations across dioceses in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada. (I gather this is even more so the case in the C of E).

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Methodist Diaconal Order is both an Order of Ministry and a Religious Order within the Methodist Church in the UK.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as a Hostly note, deacons do have many functions in worship, but their vocation is much wider than that. If the thread begins entering into the broader questions of discernment or service then we might move it to Purg or All Saints. Here is fine for now.

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knopwood writes:
quote:
What you say about deacons and weddings holds in the Anglican Church of Canada as well, although I know of at least one diocese thereof where transitional deacons are routinely given licenses to marry but vocational/permanent deacons are not, which makes little sense to me.

Because of the lateness of the revival of the permanent diaconate in the West, there is something of patchwork of protocols and expectations across dioceses in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada. (I gather this is even more so the case in the C of E).

"Something of a patchwork" is a very polite way of putting it, a tribute to Knopwood's diplomatic skills-- such abilities will reap him rewards with committee assignments for years to come.

I have seen two occasions in Canada where a deacon, cheerfully in the chancel, was overlooked while the rector in a gospel procession, took over for the reading of the Gospel. My cynical companion suggested that the deacon might not have as good a voice as the rector.

A permanent deacon I once met in the US was one of the few I have seen vested with a maniple (as well as the over-shoulder-stole with alb). I congratulated her on this and she confessed that it was a sign of her spiritual immaturity-- she further noted that her rector had thrown out the vestment cupboard's supply of maniples and she had rescued them from the bin. As she was a prison chaplain, I think we can excuse her for her passive-aggressive disregard of rectorial authority.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Episcopal Diocese of PA used to use Providence Theological School, all online. They switched to using online courses from General Theological School.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Up In Smoke
Shipmate
# 10971

- Posted      Profile for Up In Smoke   Email Up In Smoke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what The Diocese of California (Episcopal) does for diaconal education: http://www.sfd.edu/
Posts: 109 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some diaconal candidates in our diocese attend a training program for deacons in TEC, Roman Catholic, and Lutheran churches at Seattle University. The curriculum appears to be sort of "seminary lite." But the diocese's training requirements seem pretty flexible.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're lucky in having four Catholic colleges in this diocese, so the diocese puts its own program together (which is much as FCB described) using their faculties, plus local clergy and lay leaders for some of the 'practical' stuff. I think there's a full time deacon formation staff of two people coordinating all of this, with bishop also providing pretty direct oversight.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016