homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » RIP Alan Rickman (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: RIP Alan Rickman
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fine actor who brought presence to the screen. So many good films. I can hardly believe it.

Rest in peace. [Votive]

(What is the matter with this year?)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great actor indeed; he could sneer for England.

RIP.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blimey. So 45 is the age when people you admire and think of as not old, start to die every week. Time to see if the VHS still works and look at 'Dogma'.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Close. 46 for me.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to re-watch the "Barchester Chronicles" this evening -- he was such a wonderful, slimy Obadiah Slope. I also loved him as a totally different character in "Sense and Sensibility."

Truly one of top-three favorite actors.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucky you. I'm 58, which is ten years younger than my Dad was when he died (men in my family have lousy life expectancy) and just a year younger than Willie Rushton was when he popped his clogs.

Maybe the 27 club has been replaced by the 69 club.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Maybe the 27 club has been replaced by the 69 club.

Careful! for at least 2 reasons. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I need to re-watch the "Barchester Chronicles" this evening -- he was such a wonderful, slimy Obadiah Slope. I also loved him as a totally different character in "Sense and Sensibility."

[Waterworks]

Obadiah Slope was the first part I remember seeing him play. I can hear him now: 'Slope...'...<sigh>

Another one gone. How sad. RIP Mr Rickman [Votive]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Potter and Sense and Sensibility are now basically unfilmable.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone's talking about Die Hard and Harry Potter but I like him in Sense and Sensibility and Galaxy Quest.

[Votive]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
quote:

[Waterworks]

Obadiah Slope was the first part I remember seeing him play. I can hear him now: 'Slope...'...<sigh>

Same here. Can't believe that was about 33 years ago!

What's the consensus on Truly Madly Deeply these days - great movie or sentimental schlock? I loved it, and thought Rickman was great in it. "The sun ain't gonna shine any more..." [Frown]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved it too, though don't know whether I would now. Remember him as a very good Elliott in Private Lives in the West End c 2001, too.

[ 14. January 2016, 17:34: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Everyone's talking about Die Hard and Harry Potter but I like him in Sense and Sensibility and Galaxy Quest.

[Votive]

Yes, I'm getting a bit tired of him being described as a screen villain. He was great in those roles, but he did so much more. I loved him in 'Dogma'.
[Votive]

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I loved it too, though don't know whether I would now.

I just checked. It's beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAS8LhgYp2M

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another loss. Come on 2016, you are screwing with us, and it isn't funny.

I think I first noticed him in Harry Potter. He was superb in that, and his ability to characterise was superb.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

What's the consensus on Truly Madly Deeply these days - great movie or sentimental schlock? I loved it, and thought Rickman was great in it. "The sun ain't gonna shine any more..." [Frown]

If any other two actors were the principles, if would have been treacle.

Rickman's character was such a whiney little grouch, but I still totally understood why (forgot her name!)missed him so much.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snape? Snape is dead?? [Waterworks] I watched the whole series of films in caption and from the first movie, I visualised him in all my reading.

PS -Anyone have him in the Death Pool?

[ 14. January 2016, 18:42: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I first noticed him as Slope in The BArchester Chronicles and kept an eye out for him ever after. I loved Truely, MAdly, deeply I hope it gets shown again on TV soon.
Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

He was great in Galaxy Quest. I also liked him as the Sheriff in Robin Hood.

But there was just something about his first appearance in the first Harry Potter film. He commanded the scene from the moment he strode in, surveyed the classroom, flicked a hand at the windows and the shutters all immediately banged shut, and you knew there was a personality, without him even saying a word. He could do non-verbal expression brilliantly. The raised eyebrow, The Look, he had it. And of course that voice.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. And I agree that he totally defined Snape.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He had the sexiest voice - even made Obadiah Slope attractive.

preaching (youtube)

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh that voice.

Thank God we have it in so many wonderful films to remember.
The last time I felt so sad about a great screen presence gone from us was when Yul Brunner died.

RIP Alan.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't realised until someone mentioned it on FB that he was the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the film of The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but now that I know, it makes perfect sense.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
He was great in Galaxy Quest.

YES!!! It's a really funny movie, and much more touching than one would think. He was terrific.

Boy, will I miss him. I have loved him in every role I've seen him play, and what a voice!

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barchester Chronicles, where he was outstanding in an already outstanding cast (Geraldine McEwan as Mrs Proudie!). When I first read Harry Potter, before any film had been cast, I heard Obadiah Slope played by Alan Rickman as Snape.

Galaxy Quest, which is simply one of my favourite films.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe - I remember crowing when I heard he was playing Marvin because it was just too perfect a piece of casting.

He was a pretty good Blue Caterpiller in Alice in Wonderland, too.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
He was a pretty good Blue Caterpiller in Alice in Wonderland, too.

That's what I saw him in recently. Brilliant, perfect.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the Harry Potter books before the films were made--at least, the ones that were written. So I had pictures in my mind of all the characters that were well established.

When I re-read the books after seeing the movies, there were only two characters who I began seeing in my mind as the movie versions instead of my original imaginings. One was Professor Minerva McGonagall and the other was Severius Snape.

I shall miss him.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I loved it too, though don't know whether I would now.

I just checked. It's beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAS8LhgYp2M

Funny thing is- slight tangent- Juliet Stevenson is great on film, but I've seen her twice on stage in rather different things- The Duchess of Malfi and private Lives (not opposite Rickman) - and her overacting was appalling- in fact we walked out of Private Lives because of it.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter-Unit and I were in shock this morning when we heard the news. Alan Rickman was an amazing actor in everything he did.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Rickman. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved him as the sheriff in Robin Hood. He made that part perfect.

RIP. [Votive]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really? I rather thought he was chewing the scenery in that film, though it was a stinker.

He was much better in Michael Collins.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...(What is the matter with this year?)

And it's barely begun!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Someone posted this on Facebook so I thought I'd share it here for those who'd appreciate it.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this one.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You can just hear him say it, can't you!
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have never seen a meme event like the last couple days.
Regarding" the voice"-- there is a cute clip from Family Guy featuring Rickman's answering machine. Rickman keeps calling it to leave stern reminders to himself about errands and such.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Really? I rather thought he was chewing the scenery in that film, though it was a stinker.

Perhaps it was because he played opposite someone who might as well have been part of the scenery.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I liked this one.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze that's brilliant.

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You can just hear him saying it, can't you?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
quote:

I'm just gonna go on record as agreeing with this.

--------------------

Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Firenze, that's brilliant.

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I liked this one.

Oh, yes, that one! And very much mug- and t-shirt worthy.

He was wonderful as the full range of who Snape was. And the Sheriff of Nottingham.

I just checked out his IMDB page. (Great pic, BTW.) I've never quite gotten up the nerve to see "Sweeney Todd", but it might be worth it to see him in it. Didn't realize that was him in "Dogma", "Quigley", and "Die Hard". The IMDB page has a nice bio, plus lots of trivia and quotes. (E.g. JK Rowling envisioned him as Snape, when she was writing, but he almost didn't get the part. And Rickman really liked living in America!)

[Votive] May he and all who care about him find peace.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

I absolutely agree about his sexy voice. But Obadiah Slope attractive? I beg to disagree. And he shouldn't have -- Slope was a horrid person.

(I've been rewatching "Barchester" the last couple of evenings -- great mini-series based on wonderful books.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who would like to hear Alan Rickman's voice again - but for a good cause - you might want to look at this

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I absolutely agree about his sexy voice. But Obadiah Slope attractive? I beg to disagree. And he shouldn't have -- Slope was a horrid person.
I almost can't watch the Slope scenes because he's so brilliantly awful.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
JK Rowling envisioned him as Snape, when she was writing, but he almost didn't get the part.

We had a family trip to the Harry Potter studios just before Christmas and spoke to someone who had worked on the props and costumes. He told us that Alan had said he wanted to be part of Harry Potter but didn't want to be a villain so J K Rowling took him aside and told him Snape's backstory, which was something only she knew at the time. It gives fresh insight to watch the films again, knowing that Alan knew what he did.

This is slightly different to what I've read on the IMDb site, have I missed something, GK?

[slight tangent] The Harry Potter studios are wonderful and well worth a visit if you get the chance. Even Mr Nen enjoyed it, and he at that time had not read any of the books or seen any of the films.[/slight tangent]

Nen - currently rewatching 'Truly Madly Deeply' in instalments and getting through some tissues.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, well done, Nen!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
JK Rowling envisioned him as Snape, when she was writing, but he almost didn't get the part.

We had a family trip to the Harry Potter studios just before Christmas and spoke to someone who had worked on the props and costumes. He told us that Alan had said he wanted to be part of Harry Potter but didn't want to be a villain so J K Rowling took him aside and told him Snape's backstory, which was something only she knew at the time. It gives fresh insight to watch the films again, knowing that Alan knew what he did.

This is slightly different to what I've read on the IMDb site, have I missed something, GK?

Per the trivia part of his IMDB page:

quote:
Despite being author J.K. Rowling's first choice to play Snape in the Harry Potter films (she actually envisioned him when writing the character), he was only given the role in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) after Tim Roth (the studio's preferred choice) backed out to star in Planet of the Apes (2001).

(Several paragraphs later.)

Not long after he started to play Severus Snape in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001), J.K. Rowling told Rickman some character secrets about Snape that would not be otherwise revealed until the last book. Most significantly, for over seven years, Rickman was one of the very few people other than Rowling to know that Snape had been in love with Lily Evans (later Potter) when they were students at Hogwarts, and both Snape's protection of and antagonism toward Harry came from that. Rowling said that she shared this information with Rickman because "he needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of [Lily's] preference for another man, came from." When the directors of the films would ask him why he was playing a scene a certain way, or delivering a line in a particular manner, Rickman would simply reply that he knew something they didn't.

(And down in the Personal Quotes section.)

I don't play villains, I play very interesting people.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Someone sent me this link today...

Epic tea time with Alan Rickman.

Definitely a legend in his own tea-time.

[ 18. January 2016, 16:47: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016